running 9 and 10 on same mahine

We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows server 2003.

It is possible to install and run version 10 on the same machine? If so, do
I need a separate instance of SQL 2005?

Both versions are being used in a teaching environment so the normal caveats
about mission critical systems does not apply.

Thanks.

Dr. Jerry Flatto
University of Indianapolis
Indianapolis, IN, USA
2007 Excellence in Education Pinnacle winner

On Jul 31, 12:48 pm, Jerry Flatto
<JerryFla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows server 2003.
>
> It is possible to install and run version 10 on the same machine? If so, do
> I need a separate instance of SQL 2005?
>
> Both versions are being used in a teaching environment so the normal caveats
> about mission critical systems does not apply.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dr. Jerry Flatto
> University of Indianapolis
> Indianapolis, IN, USA
> 2007 Excellence in Education Pinnacle winner

It is my experience that you need to have another instance of SQL 2005
installed as you can only have one DYNAMICS database per instance, and
you will require two DYANMICS databases, one for each version.  The
other option would be to build a "Virtual Image" of one of them and
run it in Virtual PC.

KJ

0
kjjson (71)
7/31/2007 7:03:29 PM
KJ is absolutely correct in both cases....a separate instance of SQL would be
needed or Virtual PC.

In a teaching environment, Virtual PC allows an instructor to build an
environment with the appropriate code and data elements, shut down the
Virtual Machine, and then copy it as many times as needed (and as you are
legally licensed for) to be issued to students.  Once the students finish
with their exercises, the copies can be discarded and re-issued from the
original set.

This is used in many training centers very successfully.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"KJ" wrote:

> On Jul 31, 12:48 pm, Jerry Flatto
> <JerryFla...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows server 2003.
> >
> > It is possible to install and run version 10 on the same machine? If so, do
> > I need a separate instance of SQL 2005?
> >
> > Both versions are being used in a teaching environment so the normal caveats
> > about mission critical systems does not apply.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Dr. Jerry Flatto
> > University of Indianapolis
> > Indianapolis, IN, USA
> > 2007 Excellence in Education Pinnacle winner
>
> It is my experience that you need to have another instance of SQL 2005
> installed as you can only have one DYNAMICS database per instance, and
> you will require two DYANMICS databases, one for each version.  The
> other option would be to build a "Virtual Image" of one of them and
> run it in Virtual PC.
>
> KJ

0
info4071 (3005)
7/31/2007 11:18:00 PM
Hi Jerry

Installing v10 in a separate application folder with a seperate instance of
SQL will work fine.

Please note that there has been an issue seen where you might be unable to
run v9.0 Dynamics Utilities after installing the v10.0 client.  You can
temporarily un-install the v10 client (leave the databases installed) to get
around this issue.  It should be fixed in v9.0 Service Pack 3 due soon.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

and confers no rights.

"Jerry Flatto" wrote:

> We are currently running version 9 using SQL 2005 and Windows server 2003.
>
> It is possible to install and run version 10 on the same machine? If so, do
> I need a separate instance of SQL 2005?
>
> Both versions are being used in a teaching environment so the normal caveats
> about mission critical systems does not apply.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dr. Jerry Flatto
> University of Indianapolis
> Indianapolis, IN, USA
> 2007 Excellence in Education Pinnacle winner

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

DATE #10
Feb 28,2008 ---> 2008-2-28 Feb 1,2008 ---> 2008-2-1 Format? "����" <cola@hz.cn> wrote in message news:OOQhTbRaKHA.5472@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Feb 28,2008 ---> 2008-2-28 > Feb 1,2008 ---> 2008-2-1 > See your other post "ÎÞÃû" wrote: > Feb 28,2008 ---> 2008-2-28 > Feb 1,2008 ---> 2008-2-1 > > > . > Hi, Highlight the cell, right click in the mouse, cell format, custom format and enter yyyy-mm-dd "ÎÞÃû" wrote: > Fe...

Find and replace 03-04-10
I'm trying to scan a field in one of my tables and find a specific character and remove it. However, the character is a " so I'm having difficulty. The field I speak of of contains the sizes of our material so the values look like this: 1/4" 1/2" 1/3" and so on. How can I find all of the " in my feild and remove them? I don't want to replace them I just want to remove them. Thanks, Chris Savedge Create a query, and in the Criteria row under the problem field, enter: Like "*[""]*" -- Allen Browne - ...

Formula needed 01-22-10
Hi I need a formula that will look in one column range for a certain value and for another value in another column range and when they are both found in the same row, will count the number of occurances. Help!!!! Krissy wrote: > Hi > I need a formula that will look in one column range for a certain value and > for another value in another column range and when they are both found in the > same row, will count the number of occurances. Help!!!! http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions01.html#SumProduct Omit the "values to be summed". =SUMPRODUCT(--(A2...

Dynamics GP 9.0 Install for Client workstations
Very Disappointed. I created the msi file to send to the workstations. The client launched the file, it loaded Utilities, but needed the sa password to continue. I still had to go to the client's workstation to put this in. I also had to change the OLE notes and the Shared location of the reports.dic I was misinformed by Microsoft back in October 2005 that the installer package handled all of this information, thus making it a true client pushdown/pull. If it's a brand new install on a workstation, you must also create the ODBC client. Also, I cannot put anything from dis...

Run-time error 4605
I'm getting the following error when I close a Word form: Run-time error 4605 This method or property is not available because the document is a protected document. Thanks for any suggestions! Are there any macros in the document/(template from which it was created)? -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services on a paid consulting basis. Doug Robbins - Word MVP, originally posted via msnews.microsoft.com "Complibr" <Complibr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9951B6E-9511-405E-...

Run Unix shell script from VB.NET
I have the need to run couple Unix shell scripts (in IBM AIX box) from a VB.NET windows app. Please help! Thanks a million. Bill Bill, With Process start you can start everything as long as it is reachable and you have the rights. http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.diagnostics.process.start.aspx Success, Cor "Bill N" <billn@jaco.com> wrote in message news:OmUi#MZ4KHA.3844@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I have the need to run couple Unix shell scripts (in IBM AIX box) from a > VB.NET windows app. > Please help! > > Than...

Run Time Error '1004' Application or Onject-defined
Hi all. I am having a strange problem with the below code in that it produces the run time error when trying to Paste the Selection. However, if I perform the action manually in exactly the same way, as in recording the macro in the first place, it works!? How can I get this to run - it is after all, a really simple code. (Most frustrating) Thanks, Wes. Windows("Transaction_Record.xlsm").Activate Sheets("DETAILED_PMNTS_REC").Select Range("N2077:QV2089").Select Application.CutCopyMode = False Selection.Copy Windows("AUDIT_TR...

outlook running on XP Pro in workgroup mode prompts for password on exchange 2003
we have a windows 2000 network with exchange 2000 local user are members of the domain, remote offices connect via Lan to Lan VPN with 5 or more computers running in workgroup mode. The users in the workgroup have local accounts on there XP pc that match the domain username/password. Currently they local to the exchange server with any issues. Outlook passes there username/password to the exchange server and logs then on. I have added a windows 2003 server and promoted it to a backup ADS server, added another windows 2003 server as a member server. Installed Exchange 2003 SP2. Move all the lo...

Help.. Please! Outlook 2003 using 100% CPU every few seconds.. run out of ideas!
Hi anyone with an idea! I have a 1.2 Ghz/800Meg PC with Outlook 2003 running on it. I said teh first bit to show that its not on a small system. Outlook 2K3 is behaving really badly. its installed on XP SP1 with all the most up to date patches. Every 5 or 6 seconds Outlook simply locks the CPU at 100%. Watching this in Task manager is like watching a square wave. Regular as closckwork, and its Outlook.exe thats peaking at 100% CPU usage every few seconds. I use a pop3 acount so no exchange issues here, and I am not using business contact manager This locks outlook and makes it almost ...

How an MFC Application can run as an service displayed in system tray and even this icon can be displayed on different login
Hi, I want to develop one MFC Application which will run as a service and should be displayed in a system tray icon.Since this Application is a service it will keep running.so when i login through different user this icon should be displayed there in the system tray. I was partially successful in creating the MFC as a service and displaying an icon,but if i do a log-off and log-in through different account i can see the service is running in background but there is no icon in system tray.Could any one help me in resolving this issuse. Is there any API which i need to include in my code or j...

SendTo PDF Not Working on GP 10
I upgraded a client from GP 8.0 to GP 10.0. Since the ugprade, they are unable to use the SendTo PDF option from within GP. We have tried reinstalling Adobe and that hasn't changed anything. The users can see the PDF being created but a blank email doesn't open from their email client as it used to. The client is on version 10.00.0991 and I thought this issue was to be resolved in 10.0 SP 1 but obviously it hasn't been for us. The client is also using Outlook. Is this still a bug with 10.0 or are we missing something? I am on Adobe Acrobat Standard 8.0 with Microsoft ...

Running a .bat file with spaces in the path.
I am trying to run a .bat file from a macro. The shell command works okay most of the time - but I cannot seem to make it work if there is a space in the path. (So, running C:\Apps\BFIle.bat works, but not C:\My Apps\BFile.bat) As the .bat file I want to run will change, I want to enter the path in a cell, and then run the macro with a button. This means simply enteing the path in double quotation marks in the Shell command will not work. BFile = Range("A2").Value i = Shell (BFile, 1) Any ideas? Odd that a space is giving you a problem. This works for me whether the path has a ...

Lost contact list 04-22-10
I amusing Windows live mail...it had no problem picking up my contacts from Outlook Express. Now that I syncronized messages from my Hotmail e-mail account and my Telus email account into Windows Live, my contact list is only the two contacts from the hotmail account. All the rest are gone. They are still in the Address Book, but I cant access them How can I get it back into Windows Live Mail ??? Help please. You signed into the Hotmail account when you started Windows Live Mail. This is optional and not at all related to getting your mail. When you sign in, WLM sync...

Outlook 2003 03-17-10
Dear Sir, 1. Process will complete mailing address to sent item means anything ? 2. Repairmail up screen time that does not match the running because of what ? 3. The move affects the computer to send mail or receive ? Best Regards, On 3/16/2010 8:19 PM, supatsiri wrote: > Dear Sir, > > 1. Process will complete mailing address to sent item means anything ? > 2. Repairmail up screen time that does not match the running because of what ? > 3. The move affects the computer to send mail or receive ? > > Best Regards, What is your native language? Please post ...

Outlook Problems #9
I have my computer at home set to also receive my e-mails from work and my computer at work set to also receive my e-mails from my home. However, if I try to send something to myself sometimes it goes and sometimes it does not (from either computer). Do you have any suggestions how I can enter the settings so that I make sure I receive my e-mails. Also, if a third party sends an e-mail to my home and it also comes to work and I open the one at work first it does not appear on the outlook at home. I have earthlink and if I put "leave message on server" then it leaves it ...

Dynamics GP 9 on an Ultra Mobile PC
Just an FYI, Dynamics GP 9 seems to run just fine on a Samsung Q1 Ultra Mobile PC. I can definitely see some warehouse and retail applications for these types of devices down the road. No rewriting of software for a Pocket PC, built in touch screen, Wifi and bluetooth. Mark Polino (DynamicAccounting.net) That's great - thanks for testing it out and letting us know Mark!! -- Victoria Yudin GP MVP "Mark Polino" <mark@mpolino.com-nospam> wrote in message news:ADF8821E-51D2-481F-BDB5-DB0D914CF412@microsoft.com... > Just an FYI, Dynamics GP 9 seems to run just fine ...

running external program, waiting for completion
I'm trying to start an external utility from a C++ program, but I'm having some problems I've tried various approaches, but all seem to suffer from the same problem: I can start the utility but if I try to wait for it to exit, then I'll wait forever (& the utility never seems to start running). One example: SHELLEXECUTEINFO ShExecInfo = {0}; ShExecInfo.cbSize = sizeof(SHELLEXECUTEINFO); ShExecInfo.fMask = SEE_MASK_NOCLOSEPROCESS; ShExecInfo.hwnd = NULL; ShExecInfo.lpVerb = _T("open"); ShExecInfo.lpFile = "c:\\xxx\\yyy\\zzz.exe"; ShExecInfo.lpPar...

Locate link browser #9
Would someone know where in Outlook is located this link browser? When asked by the system, I provided the wrong link (Outlook as a reader) and I would now like to replace it by Firefox. -- ah Never mind. Bug fixed. -- ah "ah" <anonewsgr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uLAnZj1eHHA.3548@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > Would someone know where in Outlook is located this link browser? When > asked by the system, I provided the wrong link (Outlook as a reader) and I > would now like to replace it by Firefox. > > -- > ah > ...

Public Function not running
Hey, I have a public function that I call from a cell. The function is: Public Function QuitTime(strQuitTime As String) As Date Dim strHour, strMin As String Dim intHour, intMin As Integer Dim dtTime As Date strHour = Left(strQuitTime, 2) strMin = Right(strQuitTime, 2) dtTime = strHour & ":" & strMin dtTime = dtTime + Range("MainSheet!B2") ' this cell contains the value today() QuitTime = dtTime End Function Anyway, I run a vlookup on this array from another sheet and when ever i run that vlookup, it makes all the cells in th...

disappearing e-mail 04-21-10
This has happenend several times: Vista; When I open my e-mail, some email just disappears, it's not in any folder, it's just gone. I''ve read other threads that say make sure you are are set to show all messages and I am. What next? "Trish1856" <pmf1856@cox.net> wrote in message news:C8EFF7C5-B8C5-4F52-8D9F-070299902F6C@microsoft.com... > This has happenend several times: Vista; When I open my e-mail, some > email > just disappears, it's not in any folder, it's just gone. I''ve read other > threads that say make...

Accessing desktop shortcuts when programs are running
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel Is there any way to toggle between program windows and the desktop so that you can access the shortcut icons there without resizing or minimizing your program windows? It would be great to be able to do this, especially when I have four or five word documents open . . . Thanks! You can use the ApplicationName> Hide ApplicationName or Hide Others command to hide the window(s) to access the Desktop - assuming you don't have any other application windows open. However, you might want to explore other more effective...

Mail Merge 03-12-10
I have a log that has multiple lines with the same individual that I am trying to merge into one page per individual in word, I have to do a more advanced mail merge. Assuming you are using Word for the mailmerge and Excel for the source see these sites for help. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 12 Mar 2010 08:33:01 -0800, Brooke <Brooke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have a...

Dynamics GP 10 Reporting Question
I heard reporting in GP 10 is upgraded. Does anyone know if it will be anything like Rockton Software Dynamics Report Manager where you can send any report to like Sql reporting services or crystal? ------=_NextPart_0001_70733CB7 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit I haven't heard anything at all that reporting in 10.0 will be changed. While I guess it's possible, I would assume for now that there won't be any big changes in general. I would expect more MS Office & SQL integration in the next version for sure, but I can't see everything rewrit...

Home based Job For Indian
Want the pleasure of life, don't worry, work 1-2hours/day and earn Rs. 10,000-15,000/month online from your home/cafe/office PC. For details write # ejob1189@rediffmail.com Please write the subject of mail as: "Job Inquiry" ...

How to run Office:Mac on a PC?
For better support of Mac users, I want to run Office:Mac on a PC. Though I know about PearPC http://pearpc.sourceforge.net, I did not yet give it a try. Are there other solutions available? Many thanks for all hints and explanations, Thomas Hi Thomas, as far as I know, there aren't that many solutions to run Mac OS X on PCs. I have heard of PearPC, but I don't think that you can legally run Mac OS X on a non-Apple computer; if I remember correctly, the license agreement states that you are supposed to run OS X on Apple hardware only. Also, since you can only buy Mac OS X for Power...