Retrieving data from Great Plains

I am attempting to integrate an application for one of our customers by
retreiving data from great plains for display in the application.  What I
want to do is get a list of vendors from the great plains application,
however, I am unsure if I should be using eConnect to do this or if it's
recomended to access the GP tables directly.

If table access is allowed then I'm set that's quite simple to do now that
I've found the data architecture documents.
However, if you are supposed to use eConnect I am completely lost.  How
would I go about retrieving a list of vendors using the .NET eConnect API's?
0
MarkZak1 (5)

To retrieve a list of Vendors from Great Plains to another application; you
don't need to use eConnect. Use GP tables directly.

"Mark Zak" wrote:

> I am attempting to integrate an application for one of our customers by
> retreiving data from great plains for display in the application.  What I
> want to do is get a list of vendors from the great plains application,
> however, I am unsure if I should be using eConnect to do this or if it's
> recomended to access the GP tables directly.
>
> If table access is allowed then I'm set that's quite simple to do now that
> I've found the data architecture documents.
> However, if you are supposed to use eConnect I am completely lost.  How
> would I go about retrieving a list of vendors using the .NET eConnect API's?
0
Shariq (273)
1/5/2006 7:39:22 PM
Thanks I wasn't sure if this was an "approved" method.  I guess I just got
scared off by the fact that the tables are all named with some odd
alphanumeric code.

"Shariq" wrote:

> To retrieve a list of Vendors from Great Plains to another application; you
> don't need to use eConnect. Use GP tables directly.
>
> "Mark Zak" wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to integrate an application for one of our customers by
> > retreiving data from great plains for display in the application.  What I
> > want to do is get a list of vendors from the great plains application,
> > however, I am unsure if I should be using eConnect to do this or if it's
> > recomended to access the GP tables directly.
> >
> > If table access is allowed then I'm set that's quite simple to do now that
> > I've found the data architecture documents.
> > However, if you are supposed to use eConnect I am completely lost.  How
> > would I go about retrieving a list of vendors using the .NET eConnect API's?
0
MarkZak1 (5)
1/5/2006 10:47:02 PM
You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.

"Mark Zak" wrote:

> Thanks I wasn't sure if this was an "approved" method.  I guess I just got
> scared off by the fact that the tables are all named with some odd
> alphanumeric code.
>
> "Shariq" wrote:
>
> > To retrieve a list of Vendors from Great Plains to another application; you
> > don't need to use eConnect. Use GP tables directly.
> >
> > "Mark Zak" wrote:
> >
> > > I am attempting to integrate an application for one of our customers by
> > > retreiving data from great plains for display in the application.  What I
> > > want to do is get a list of vendors from the great plains application,
> > > however, I am unsure if I should be using eConnect to do this or if it's
> > > recomended to access the GP tables directly.
> > >
> > > If table access is allowed then I'm set that's quite simple to do now that
> > > I've found the data architecture documents.
> > > However, if you are supposed to use eConnect I am completely lost.  How
> > > would I go about retrieving a list of vendors using the .NET eConnect API's?
0
Shariq (273)
1/5/2006 11:29:03 PM
Mark,

Reading the tables directly is fine, as long as you dont write back.  The
Resource Discriptions under Tools will list the tables with their criptic
names and some easier to read names.  The Vendor Master Table is PM00200.

You can get information on how Dynamics GP and GreatPlains works from books
available at www.AccoladePublications.com.  The Information Flow and Posting
book describes the relationship of most of the tables in the core modules (PM
included)

Richard L. Whaley
Senior Business Consultant

"Mark Zak" wrote:

> I am attempting to integrate an application for one of our customers by
> retreiving data from great plains for display in the application.  What I
> want to do is get a list of vendors from the great plains application,
> however, I am unsure if I should be using eConnect to do this or if it's
> recomended to access the GP tables directly.
>
> If table access is allowed then I'm set that's quite simple to do now that
> I've found the data architecture documents.
> However, if you are supposed to use eConnect I am completely lost.  How
> would I go about retrieving a list of vendors using the .NET eConnect API's?
I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.

I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of two
reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every single
column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to use the
SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account for
every single field because they are all non-nullable.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Shariq" wrote:

> You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.
>
> "Mark Zak" wrote:
>
> > Thanks I wasn't sure if this was an "approved" method.  I guess I just got
> > scared off by the fact that the tables are all named with some odd
> > alphanumeric code.
> >
> > "Shariq" wrote:
> >
> > > To retrieve a list of Vendors from Great Plains to another application; you
> > > don't need to use eConnect. Use GP tables directly.

0
callen (2505)
1/8/2006 2:44:02 AM
Is there a source for the Display Name of a table .vs it's cryptic name

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.
>
> I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
> Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of two
> reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every single
> column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to use the
> SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account for
> every single field because they are all non-nullable.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Shariq" wrote:
>
> > You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.
> >
> > "Mark Zak" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks I wasn't sure if this was an "approved" method.  I guess I just got
> > > scared off by the fact that the tables are all named with some odd
> > > alphanumeric code.

0
BobC1 (14)
1/9/2006 2:58:04 PM
Thanks for all of your replies.

The help was very much appreciated.
0
MarkZak1 (5)
1/9/2006 4:08:03 PM
Tools>>Resource Descriptions>>Tables, click on the "..." to right of
table field. The results show Display, Technical and Physical name of
each file.

Bob C. wrote:
> Is there a source for the Display Name of a table .vs it's cryptic name
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>

>>I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.
>>
>>I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
>>Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of two
>>reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every single
>>column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to use the
>>SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account for
>>every single field because they are all non-nullable.
>>--
>>Charles Allen, MVP
>>

>>"Shariq" wrote:
>>

>>>You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.

0
noyb4649 (154)
1/9/2006 4:36:26 PM
After reading this post, are we allowed to write data to GP?
--
Regards

Johann Lazarus
Analyst Programmer
Augen (NZ) Ltd

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.
>
> I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
> Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of two
> reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every single
> column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to use the
> SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account for
> every single field because they are all non-nullable.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Shariq" wrote:
>
> > You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.
> >
> > "Mark Zak" wrote:
> >
> > > Thanks I wasn't sure if this was an "approved" method.  I guess I just got
> > > scared off by the fact that the tables are all named with some odd
> > > alphanumeric code.

Unlike Charles, I've never been a fan of Table Import. I don't recal using
it in production, although I have on occasion inserted records directly into
the table using other means.  To each his own.

However, I'd say that all direct to table operations carry a greater risk of
having inconsistent data.  APIs such as eConnect handle all the complexities
of the business logic and table relationships and offer you a simplified
model that you can use.

If you are planning to write to GP, please look into eConnect

HS

"Johann Lazarus" <JohannLazarus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> After reading this post, are we allowed to write data to GP?
> --
> Regards
>
> Johann Lazarus
> Analyst Programmer
> Augen (NZ) Ltd
>

> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
>> I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.
>>
>> I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
>> Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of
>> two
>> reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every
>> single
>> column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to use
>> the
>> SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account
>> for
>> every single field because they are all non-nullable.
>> --
>> Charles Allen, MVP
>>

>> "Shariq" wrote:
>>
>> > You are safe as long you are only reading the tables.

0
HSalim (1270)
12/4/2007 6:18:23 AM
My 2 cents - there are a number of things that I think are absolutely ok to
import directly into the GP tables, for example, Salespeople, Sales
Territories or Inventory Sites.  Whether you use Table Import or do it
directly in  SQL doesn't really matter because this is pretty much 'flat'
information.  On the other hand, I highly recommend NOT importing
transactions directly into the tables.  Most transactions in GP update a
very large number of tables and to duplicate all of this manually would cost
a hell of a lot more than buying and implementing a tool already designed to
do exactly that.  Either Integration Manager or eConnect are great tools for
importing data that follow all the business logic of the application and
will ensure the validity of the data you are importing.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"HSalim[MVP]" <HSalim@msn.com> wrote in message
> Unlike Charles, I've never been a fan of Table Import. I don't recal using
> it in production, although I have on occasion inserted records directly
> into the table using other means.  To each his own.
>
> However, I'd say that all direct to table operations carry a greater risk
> of having inconsistent data.  APIs such as eConnect handle all the
> complexities of the business logic and table relationships and offer you a
> simplified model that you can use.
>
> If you are planning to write to GP, please look into eConnect
>
> HS
>

> "Johann Lazarus" <JohannLazarus@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:451EBF87-22AE-4694-9D0C-AFE62B75B64D@microsoft.com...
>> After reading this post, are we allowed to write data to GP?
>> --
>> Regards
>>
>> Johann Lazarus
>> Analyst Programmer
>> Augen (NZ) Ltd
>>

>> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>>
>>> I've never seen methods designated as approved or not approved.
>>>
>>> I routinely use the following two methods of importing data: Integration
>>> Manager and Table Import. I think table import is very good because of
>>> two
>>> reasons: it's fast and it does not require you to account for every
>>> single
>>> column like a product outside of GP does. For example, if you were to
>>> use the
>>> SQL Server import/export wizard, you would need to make sure you account
>>> for
>>> every single field because they are all non-nullable.
>>> --
>>> Charles Allen, MVP

0
victoria (3340)

Great Plains as the center of our operations in the netherlands
We're in the process of selecting a new FM solution and we're very much interested in the capabilities of GP8. There are a few things i want to know: 1) Is there any information about using Great Plains in the netherlands, especialy with regarding to income and revenue tax payments, payroll requirement and such 2) We use Project Server. There is a product out there called Smart PSA that can integrate PS with GP, but I would rather do this with Biztalk. Is there information about integrating Project Server with GP8 using Biztalk 2004? Hi Gijs, Please contact info@osirisconsulta...

CTabCtrl and retrieving text with GetItem
I am using the following code to show a popup menu when the user right clicks on a tab in a CTabCtrl: void CTabBar::OnRButtonDown(UINT nFlags, CPoint point) { TCHITTESTINFO info; info.pt.x = point.x; info.pt.y = point.y; long tab = m_tabctrl.HitTest(&info); if (tab == -1) return; TCITEM item; item.mask = TCIF_TEXT; if (!m_tabctrl.GetItem(tab, &item)) return; ....... My next step from here was to retrieve item.pszText. However - GetItem is ALWAYS returning false. For example, I have 1 tab and I right click on it. HitTest return 0 (ind...

data labels from second column
Hi Column A is list of names (Bob, Sue, etc); column B is how much they collected (58, 12, etc); Column C is the date they did it on - so record 1 says Bob collected 58 on 10/07/07, for instance. I want to create a chart with the date for the x axis, amount collected as the y axis and data labels at each point within the graph giving the collector's name. So at X=12/07/07, y=58 I want it to say Bob within the chart area. Any help much appreciated. Regards Chandler On Mon, 3 Sep 2007, in microsoft.public.excel.charting, Chandler <Chandler@discussions.microsoft.com> said: &...

data points #3
I have a scatter chart with the following info : sales price, square footage, and subdivision. With the x and y axis being sales price and square footage. There are some entries where i will have several sales in one subdivision and i would like all those points to show up in the same color. How do i get several points to show up in the same color instead of excel assigning each entry a new label? Include all the related points in the same data series, rather than as a different data series for each point. -- David Biddulph "affordablegreen" <affordablegreen@discussion...

Money 05 cuts off data
B of A (Washington) using Yodlee & msn to sync data. The problem I'm experiencing is that the Payee field is being cut off. I've used /using the Payee Rules Manager, which has been working to a certain extent. My question is... What is the size limit for the payee field? A typical transaction from bofa(WA) looks like "PURCHASE 5xx29xxx658xxxxx3 ON 12/30 AT CASTLE ICE RENTON WA" When synced as configured above all i get is a very small portion, maybe part of the actual name. Second question is when trying to do a manual export from bofa (Wa) website I have the opt...

find data in multiple open workbooks
Im looking to find data in multiple workbooks that are all opened at once. Is there a way of doing this? ...

Moving data between Excel sheets
"I have an excel spreadsheet that has 2 sheets, one has a list of open issues" and one a list of "closed issues". One of the fields on the "open issues" sheet has a "closed date" field. Whenever a date is typed into this field, I would like for it to be moved to the "closed issues" sheet, to avoid duplicate, manual entries being done. Can anyone help me with the best way to achieve this? Can this be achieved by using Macro's. Any help with this, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! Suggest you send this to the programming newsgroup...

Looking up data from Access
I would like to extract data from MS Access into Excel '97 to populate single cell, preferably imitating the 'vlookup' function, i.e. give the value of an Excel cell, the related field name in the externa database query, and the field with the value to return, it wil populate the current cell with this value. Not sure how clear that is. Let me know if it isn't, and thanks fo any help you can give -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I've found a solution using the SQL.Request workbook function, whic does what I need. However, I need to populate many cells...

Saving data in Access table with VB ?
I have a form with a button and if you click the button, a list of invoices are generated and saved in the table 'Invoice'. Problem is, the data isnt saved :( Here's my code: Private Sub Knop0_Click() Dim Invoicenr As Long Dim Invoicedate As Date stdocname = "Invoice" DoCmd.OpenTable stdocname, acViewNormal, acAd Invoicenr = 111111 Invoicedate = Now DoCmd.Save acTable, stdocname End Sub What am I doing wrong ? Answered in microsoft.public.access "Bauhaus" <niemandhier@pandora.be> wrote in message news:7Exii.2418$yf6.1885@biebel.telenet-ops.be...

Formula to reference another worksheet, locate data, then record i
Hi All, It has been over 10 years since I did my Excel studies and I've unfortunately forgotten everything I haven't used regularly. My office has recently upgraded to Office 2007 (upgrade not being the descriptor I'd have chosen!) and I'm struggling with Excel. I've found my way around most issues, but I'm REALLY stuck now and suffering Friday-itis on top of it all! Essentially I have a multi-sheet workbook for my debtors ledger. Each page has separate columns for the customer numbers, names, total debts in each age range (7 days, 14 days etc), totals and lastl...

merge and center data
I wanted my data value to be arranged in a way where it is in middle alignment and are merged together as one whole column; without the lines in between. So I use the merge and center icon. But it says merging into one cell will keep the upper-left most data only. How to merge and center the data and yet retaining all the data value at the same time? ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ =A2&B2 replace A and B with the columns you want to merge, copy d...

Entourage has stopped retrieving just one certain person's email
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Email Client: pop I have been receiving all my emails normally apart from just one sender, who i previously had no problems with. The email is sitting in my inbox when i log in via the browser account, however it just doesnt get sent directly from the sender. if I then send this person's email to myself, it gets delivered to my inbox. THe problem ahs only started in the last week, no settings have been changed and every other email is getting delivered. <br> My hosting provider says it is not their issue and they don...

Is it possible to find multiple data?
We have a small lotterysyndicate in work which is all logged onto an excel spreadsheet. Is it possible to search all numbers and all occurances at once, rather than individually? Ie - we have 15 lines of 6 numbers each - can i search for all 6 numbers drawn, across all 15 lines in one go? Im sure this must be possible - just dont know how. Thanks -- stewwie ------------------------------------------------------------------------ stewwie's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37128 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid...

Pivot Table and adding a % column, that is not in original data
Hi, Is it possible to add a column for % calculations when the % column is not in original data? To clarify, my original data is as follows: Produt Sales Returns Date A 5 June B 6 June A 1 July A 1 September B 1 November When I run the pivot table, one of the columns I'm then looking to get is a total % of returns over sales , but I cant see how to include in a Pivot table. I can add it outside of the table, but that has problems ...

Automatically update Value for data label
Hello I am using Excel 2003 SP2, and have some graphs which have the value (data label) for the last month. Each month new data is entered and the data label has to be deleted for the previous month and the data label for the most recent month added (it still uses the same old data - new data is only entered for the most recent month). Is there any way where the data label can automatically update with the most recent months value (as the chart updates itself automatically currently). Any ideas appreciated. Thank you in advance. Regards, Nav ...

Excel could not save all the data and formatting you recently added
Hi, One of our users sent me an Excel file of 6 MiB. It has 7 worksheets. Most of them have <100 rows and AH columns, one sheet has 13160 rows and AH columns. The large sheet has autofilter enabled, but no actual filtering is done. (yet) 4 columns have validation: they allow a list of values specified in a range somewhere else in the sheet. There is also conditional formatting. It takes >30 seconds to calculate the sheet, however there are no real calculations, just a few concatenated string. My first impression is that this is yet another example of Excel (ab)used as a database. The p...

BYTE Data type and UNICODE
I am converting MFC application to UNICODE. Please inform if BYTE data type is UNICODE enabled. If not how can I convert it to UNICODE. Thanks for your reply Regards Alpha BYTE is typedef'd as unsigned char, so is independent of UNICODE. If you have used that type correctly (i.e. as an 8-bit unsigned integer, rather than as a character), you should not have to convert it. Keith MacDonald "Alpha Siera" <AlphaSiera@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5C837E1E-AB84-4245-85EC-FD206491306E@microsoft.com... > I am converting MFC application to UNICODE. Pleas...

Transfer data manually onto other database
Hello, I am needing to transfer data onto a Mysql database. I have had some advice and am trying to find a software solution. So main features are to be able to migrate large amounts of contacts and data every day. The migration should be done manually. Thanks a lot! Look here: http://www.kitebird.com/articles/access-migrate.html#TOC_6 and here: http://www.bullzip.com/products/a2m/info.php Regards Kevin "Guertas" <Guertas@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DDFFC964-C78A-446E-A7AA-5F4E632FF20A@microsoft.com... > Hello, > >...

how to retrieve data from password protected web pages?
how can I retrieve data from password protected web pages in excel? ...

Data Validation #17
Hello Forum, up to now, I am working for a very long time on solving followin problem: I would like to insert in one cell a whole number between let's sa 1-596. There is a list with all numbers, which are already in the exce sheet, and should not be allowed to enter to the cell...it should b profed, if the number i want to enter from 1 to 596 is allready in use if so, there should come up a alert message. Is this possibe, probabl with a vlookup in data validation? What should i precice do? Thank you very much in advance, greetz Mteepe -- mteepe ---------------------------------------...

Calculate data on 2 different worksheets
I have a very large workbook and for efficiency reasons I have calculation set to manual. I need to calculate 2 different worksheets, but because they refer to each other, I have to calculate them a couple of times to make all of the formulas update correctly. I've tried naming a single range: Range3 = range1,range2 then I use Range("Range3").calculate but the result if only one iteration thru the formulas and the final result still needs one more calculation. Short of putting all the data on one sheet, is there anyway I can insure 2 separate worksheets are completel...

How Do I put Excel data into Publisher?
Hi, I am trying to produce a booklet in Publisher, when I transfer/copy the data from Excel it is too wide for the page, so I rotate the object to be portrait. This looks fine on screen, but when printed it come out the original way, i.e. landscape. I have tried to put it in as .pdf but the same happens. Does anyone have any idea on how to do this. Regards Cheryl I have no problem here, Cheryl - just copied data from XL, pasted into Pub, rotated & printed. Are you doing anything differently... Some kind of Paste Special or different print settings? Make sure there is nothing in ...

archiving data #2
does money support archiving old data? I don't want to have to start a new account, but would like to remove a bunch of the data from my current money file. -- Thanks Wayne Sepega Jacksonville, Fl Enterprise Library Configuration Console Module Generator http://workspaces.gotdotnet.com/elccmg "When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein Yes it does but BEWARE! See http://umpmfaq.info/faq.html#Q95. There seems to be more pain ...

Analysising Data from 2 worksheets
I have 2 tables which contain data, some of which is the same, these ar in the same spreadsheet. I know its possible to make excel match one ro of data with another and if there isn't a match then it inserts a blan on the side that doesn't match. I'll give you an example Data A Data B Mr S - �200 Mr S - �200 Mr A - �150 Mrs P - �95 Mr P - �95 As there is no match for Mr A excel will leave a line free. The problem is i dont know the formula fo...

Pasting only the formulas and not the data
When I copy a row and then use Paste Special and select the Formula radio button, the contents of cells containing data are pasted along with the formulas. How do I get only the formulas to paste without the data? (By my reading, this is what is supposed to happen when I follow the above process.) Actually, if you look at the cell where you just pasted, you'll see the formula (look in the formula bar). But it sounds like the formula evaluated to the same value as before. How it evaluates depends on what's in the cells the cells that the formula uses and what the formula is. ...