retrieving data from Great Plains via eConnect

Hi,

I've been working with eConnect for the last two weeks and have had success
with importing a variety of transactions into Great Plains.

However, I'd like to query Great Plains on demand and have data returned to
me.  For example, given a certain field value (like customer name = "Smith"),
I'd like to have all customer records returned that match that specified
value.  Is there any way to do this easily with eConnect?

I'm not so interested in the Transaction Requester Service because that
seems to be focused more on automatically returning records that have changed
in some way (insert, update, delete).  Rather, I want to query on demand.

Any info or code samples (especially C#) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashok Kumar

Ashok,
I suppose you could do that farly easily -
write a stored proc and call it using econnect.

HS

"Ashok Kumar" <AshokKumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've been working with eConnect for the last two weeks and have had
> success
> with importing a variety of transactions into Great Plains.
>
> However, I'd like to query Great Plains on demand and have data returned
> me.  For example, given a certain field value (like customer name =
> "Smith"),
> I'd like to have all customer records returned that match that specified
> value.  Is there any way to do this easily with eConnect?
>
> I'm not so interested in the Transaction Requester Service because that
> seems to be focused more on automatically returning records that have
> changed
> in some way (insert, update, delete).  Rather, I want to query on demand.
>
> Any info or code samples (especially C#) would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ashok Kumar

0
HSalim (1270)
3/18/2005 1:36:38 PM
Hello,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Although I'm familiar enough with the Great Plains database tables to do it
in the way you suggest, I was wondering if there is an "XML messaging" way of
going about querying Great Plains via the eConnect API.  If not, I'd be a bit
surprised because I was under the impression that one of the main benefits of
using eConnect is that it hides the database complexity of Great Plains from
the developer.  While this is more important with respect to writing to the
Great Plains database, it would be useful also for reading from the Great
Plains database.

Currently I'm playing around with the RQeConnectOutType and eConnectOut
classes, but I'm not having any luck so far.  I'm trying to send the
following XML to the eConnect Requester service:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<eConnect xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
	<RQeConnectOutType>
		<eConnectProcessInfo xsi:nil="true"/>
		<eConnectOut>
			<DOCTYPE>Customer</DOCTYPE>
			<OUTPUTTYPE>1</OUTPUTTYPE>
			<INDEX1TO>CUSTOMER001</INDEX1TO>
			<INDEX1FROM>CUSTOMER001</INDEX1FROM>
		</eConnectOut>
	</RQeConnectOutType>
</eConnect>

But I get the following exception:

Microsoft.GreatPlains.eConnect.eConnectException: eConnect Requester service
did not return xml.
<eConnectOut><DOCTYPE>Customer</DOCTYPE><OUTPUTTYPE>1</OUTPUTTYPE><INDEX1TO>CUSTOMER001</INDEX1TO><INDEX1FROM>CUSTOMER001</INDEX1FROM></eConnectOut>

Best regards,

Ashok

"HSalim[MVP]" wrote:

> Ashok,
> I suppose you could do that farly easily -
> write a stored proc and call it using econnect.
>
> HS
>

> "Ashok Kumar" <AshokKumar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been working with eConnect for the last two weeks and have had
> > success
> > with importing a variety of transactions into Great Plains.
> >
> > However, I'd like to query Great Plains on demand and have data returned
> > me.  For example, given a certain field value (like customer name =
> > "Smith"),
> > I'd like to have all customer records returned that match that specified
> > value.  Is there any way to do this easily with eConnect?
> >
> > I'm not so interested in the Transaction Requester Service because that
> > seems to be focused more on automatically returning records that have
> > changed
> > in some way (insert, update, delete).  Rather, I want to query on demand.
> >
> > Any info or code samples (especially C#) would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Ashok Kumar

Data labels: need value AND % change
I'm working on a series of column charts that show annual data for # sold, $ volume, average price, median price, etc. I want it to show the 2002 and 2003 values for each of these but I ALSO want to be able to show the % change between the 2, so we can see trends. So far, I only see that you can label the data with the value, or the percentage. I haven't seen how you can show the values AND the % change. Any ideas? I'd really appreciate it! --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Create the desired label in a separate column (the 2003 price concatenated with t...

Need help bring over GP 7.0 data to new a GP 8.0 server.
I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment? Thanks in advance, The easiest way is the following: On the 7.0 server, detach DYNAMICS. Copy the DYNAMICS mdf and ldf file from the 7.0 to the 8.0 server. On the 8.0 server, attach and browse to the mdf that you copied. On the 7.0 server, attach DYNAMICS. Repeat for all databases. If you also need the sql logins from the 7.0 server, there is a TK on how to do this (uses a table called RecoveryMaster within Dynamics db). If you can go without the s...

Save data as it is enerted.
How can I get my form to store data that I enter in a field, so that next time as I start to type the same data it populate the rest of the data. For example, if I enter a company name "My Company" the first time, the next time as I start typing "My..." it should populate all company names that begins with those letters and have been entered before. Possible?? -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com Forms don't store data, tables do. If you want a way, on a form, to see a list of the company names that match what you are typing in, take a look at how th...

SQL Error 'CoProcess' fail accessing to SQL data
I have two companies in my Great Plains Server, i make a backup of first company and restore that in the second. but when a attempt to access to second company whith any user, and I have this error: una obtener/cambiar primero operacion en la tabla 'coProcess' ha fallado al acceder a los datos SQL Hi Before you restored the company1 to company2, did you add the users to have acces to company2? If not you will need to add the users to company 2 within Great Plains system menu (uncheck the SQL options to apply this). Can you logon as the 'sa' user? Regards James &qu...

File error: data may have been lost.
What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an Excel spreadsheet in Japanese. The spreadhseet is created using Excel 2002 in Win XP Japanese. Hi (konichiwa), if you cannot open the file, try this: open a new workbook. Insert > Object > Create From file> >browse to file then okay. This creates a picture linkt othat file. Click it and see what happens. It worked for me when file became unopenable. - Mark - mark >-----Original Message----- >What could be the cause for system to pop up such message when opening an >Excel spreadshee...

DTD ?? and Errors when trying to Retrieve / Read a generated XML f
Hi All Hope someone can help. Using WebRequest.Method = "POST" and ContentType = "application/x-www-form-urlencoded" I connect to a web application which then is expected to return me an XML file ie It is generated and returned rather than existing as a file in a location. my webrequest reads as... http://webedu/webct/public/serve_webctdb?OPERATION=homearea_xml From the Browser I get this returned <?xml version="1.0" standalone="no" ?> <!DOCTYPE homearea (View Source for full doctype...)> - <homearea base="http:...

Copy data between access databases with slightly different structures
If I have 2 databases with some differences in table structure, 1 is fully populated and the other empty, how can I copy only the matching fields data from one to the other? Are there any utilities available for this? See if this is what you want. Open one database and create a link to the table in the other database. Then create an append query. You can choose the fields you want to append, leaving the other fields alone and/or use criteria to chose what records you want to append. -- Joseph E. Meehan 26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math "Partha Mandayam" <partha@partha...

Problem with data using IF and Nested IF statements possibly???
Afternoon All I am attempting to analyse data from multiple worksheets from numerous people the incoming data all has one thing in common column A this is a certain frequency a job is done. The problem is that there are many ways of entering the data ie 12 months or 52 weeks or 365 days all essentially meaning the same thing. My idea is to collate the data in col A and then using the Helper column as the standard frequencies ie if cell A1 = 12 months, closes frequency in helper is 52 weeks therefore value in C1 = 52 weeks. By using an IF statement I can change the value of one frequen...

Export data from the same cell from multiple spreadsheets into a n
Hi, I am working with weekly timeshets in Excel and I am using the same form every week, but save it as a file named "Timesheet 20100122" for a week ending on Fri, Jan 22, 2010 (Our accounting week period). Therefore the daily hours appear every week in the same cell. I would need to export these hours to another - summarizing - spreadsheet (For example and invoice spreadsheet) somehow automatically. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks for your help, Cheers, Try http://www.rondebruin.nl/merge.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm ...

Hooks & sending data to the Pole Display
Hello, I am trying to send my own text during a transaction to the pole display. I have everything in place and outside of RMS I can send stuff to the pole display out the COM port, but when the hook is running during RMS POS I can not my dll to talk out to the pole display. Is there any tricks to this that anyone has found? thanks, Nick ClothingStore wrote: > Hello, > I am trying to send my own text during a transaction to the pole display. > I have everything in place and outside of RMS I can send stuff to the pole > display out the COM port, but when the hook is running...

Exporting and Importing data
I am replacing my bosses machine with a new dell laptop. I need to move his outlook over and he wants it exactly as it is on his old machine. Will someone explain the easiest and most efficient way to do this? If you are using exchange mailbox then the only thing you need to move over is your boss's .pst and .pab files. If he don't have those two files then you don't need to do anything. All the information is stored on the server. Just reconfigure the new Outlook with his exchange mail information. "lsoliz" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

How Do I Share Data Files?
I need to deploy an application which shares data among all users of a computer. I thought I could do that by putting the data file in the Common Application Data folder. However, that doesn't work because Vista is using virtualization to make a unique copy of the file for each user, so it isn't being shared. How do I deploy an application with shared data? Is there a document anywhere that describes the best practices for folder usage in Vista? -TC ...

Copy data from Word macro to excel
I am working on a combined Word and Excel sheet (Both 2000 version) What I am trying to do is capture information in Word in an Userform The information that is entered in the form is then used to fill out word document that can be send to a customer. However this information also needs to be entered into an excel sheet currently that is done manually. But I would like to automate that wit a macro. The data that is being captured is in the following form: -If bolOKButtonPressed Then WordBasic.SetDocumentProperty "ProjectTitle", 0 UserForm1.ProjectTitle.Value, 2 WordBasic.SetD...

look up a selection of data
Hi I would like to transfer or look up data when keying in a reference number and bring up all the data regarding the ref number Eg Cell A1 = 101, B1 = John and C1 = january Cell A2 = 102, B2 = Mark and C2 = january Cell A3 = 103, B3 = Sam and C3 = February Cell A4 = 101, B4 = John and C4 = March Cell A5 = 101, B5 = John and C5 = June When I key in Ref 101 in a chosen cell (eg.A10) then the display should have all the details Cell A11 = John, B11 = January Cell A12 = John, B12 = March Cell A13 = John, B13 = June I assume A11, A12 and A13 should also have formulas to generate data but I c...

Smart list data not in tables
I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list but is not veiwed in the tables....any easy way to get the data back in the tables. MR Have you used some tool like Query Analyzer to view the suspected tables? If you will tell me the SmartList you are trying to view, I'll give you the tables. There is no way SL is showing nonexistent data; it's just a report writer. "Mike R" <MikeR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12CC49A0-FB4F-48F8-AAD8-7EBB2D973CCE@microsoft.com... >I have alot of data that for some reason is in the smart list b...

eConnect: Difficulty updating SHIPMTHD
I am having trouble getting the SHIPMTHD field to update when I update existing sales orders. No matter what I set this field to, it does not update the original SHIPMTHD that was passed in when the order was created. Has anybody had success updating the SHIPMTHD field for existing sales orders? Thanks, Bryan Bedard Windsor, ON Bryan - I do it all the time. The biggest issue I found was the methods being set up exactly the same on both ends. -HTH - Mark "Bryan Bedard" wrote: > I am having trouble getting the SHIPMTHD field to update when I update > existing sales ...

Great Plains Question 10-21-03
Can anyone tell me how Great Plains can be set up for 802.11b wireless scanners? Is the session just a regular Telnet session or is there some funky emulation? Also, is there any modules in place within Great Plains that allow portable RF scanners to operate? Given the fact that the portable scanner may only have a 16 x 21 line display. Or is it up to an integrator to set this up. please send this query to microsoft.public.greatplains "Kevin" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:00d301c39803$d049b0c0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Can anyone tell...

Cannot access Public Folders via ESM
Hello, I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same problem if I try it from the exchange server, or remote. It just hangs, no error message. I or the users don’t have a problem connecting from outlook. I’m using exchange 2003 on wind server 2003 sp1 Thanks Try restarting the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service. "Marsel" <Marsel @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4EBCE555-FCDD-4304-B2C4-F82E5DD1690E@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am not able to view or expand the public folders via ESM. I get the same &g...

Transposing data
Howdy All, I receive some prospecting data in a format where: Column A Odds rows contain client name: John Q. Public Even rows contain salesman name: Assigned to Alfred E. Newman Column B Odds rows contain location information: Northeast Even rows contain various data to be deleted. What I want to have as an end results would be: Column A Only client name Column B Only salesman name Column C Location information I need to: 1) Leave data in Column A odds rows 2) transpose data from Column A even rows to Column B 3) delete data in even rows in column B 4) transpose data from Column B ...

Pivot Tables as Data Source
Does anyone know how to create a Pivot Table with multiple Pivot Tables as it's source? The source Pivot Tables retrieve data from different locations and are structured in the same way as each other, with the same dimensions - I would like to produce a summary Pivot Table. Thanks Stephen ...

Backing up Money data to online location?
2003 does not allow an easy way to save a back-up to an online location, such My Yahoo briefcase. I have to take the file, and upload it manually. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Will there be an online back-up option in future releases? I'd like to see it go to MSN via my Passport, for instance. I'd upgrade for that. Given the size of a backup and the availability of sync with the web, this might not make it anytime soon. "Iron Flatline" <tiredofvirusspam@anonymousnewsgroupreader.org> wrote in message news:emn3z882DHA.3140@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > 2003 doe...

WM5/Mny2006 Account Register Data Input
I'm using Money2006 on WM5/VGA, work fine in portrait mode until a trial version of Lingvosoft Dict, was installed, the Input field width & dropdown menu boxes under ACCOUNT REGISTER was slightly enlarged and got pushed off the right screen, now the dropdown button can only be accessed by setting the ppc in landscape mode, appreciate if anyone could provide info how to correct this problem. btw, I've uninstall and trial-ware and reinstalled money2006. TIA CZX ...

Writing data back to main form
I have a form that pops up when a certain value is selected in an Option Group on my main form. The user enters free from data in an unbound box on the popup form, then submits the "comment" through a background macro. The macro should write the "comment" back to the main form via a SetValue command, however, the macro is halted because it can't find the original form, which has remained open. Is SetValue the correct command to use in the macro? ...

Extracting Data in Cells in order -- (or) eliminating empty cell space in a column
Hi I have this problem that I bet is easy to solve, but i am lost. I am an expert at the slow way to do things, but maybe there is a better way. The only way I can describe the problem is by means of an example. Lets say I have a column of numbers: >_A_|_B_| etc >> 1_1_|___| 2_3_|___| 3_2_|___| 5_5_|___| 5_3_|___| 6_4_|___| 7_7_|___| 8_3_|___| 9_1_|___| and then i write a little function in the adjoing cell, B1: =if(a1=3,a2,"") From there I fill down column B to B9. OK, pretty simple so far, right? What I am looking for is instances where I find a '3' in co...

Retreiving Data From CBM Tables
Hi, I'm facing some problem in retrieving CBM Tables in order to design a report for my customer. For my report I want to list out the Payments Posted Records from CBM and for that I have joined the two tables i.e. CB900035 & CB777001 BELOW IS MY QUERY: SELECT B.CHEKNMBR, A.CHEKBKID, B.CB_Trans_Amount, B.CB_Type_Description, A.CB_TRANS_TYPE FROM CB900035 A, CB777001 B WHERE A.DOCNUMBR=B.CHEKNMBR AND A.CBVOIDEDCANCELLED='' AND A.CB_TRANS_TYPE='P' AND A.CHEKBKID ='BatchNO' AND A.DATE1='12-31-2005' -------------------------------- In some cases the...