question on os authenticity

I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims
to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.  There was no COA attached to the
body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he
owns the license to it, not me.  Is this correct?
--
julesrh77
0

Good question but not for this community. You need to post your question in a
Windows community. But, I think he's wrong and you should call Microsoft
directly to ask them. You can find their phone number by going to
www.microsoft.com.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"julesrh77" wrote:

> I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims
> to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.  There was no COA attached to the
> body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he
> owns the license to it, not me.  Is this correct?
> --
> julesrh77
0
callen (2505)
3/12/2008 3:06:01 AM
This is not the correct forum for this type of question; but I will offer the
following.  Search the laptop for a file named: eula.txt  This is basically
the end-user license agreement between you (since you purchased the laptop
with Windows 2000) and Microsoft.  So the dealer should have given you the
license since you now own the Windows 2000 software.

Hope this helps, rc

"julesrh77" wrote:

> I purchased a laptop with Windows 2000 preinstalled from a dealer who claims
> to be a Microsoft Authorized Refurbisher.  There was no COA attached to the
> body of the computer and he claims that he was not required to because he
> owns the license to it, not me.  Is this correct?
> --
> julesrh77
0
RC (240)

License Question
Hello All, I have a Windows 2000 and Exchange 2000 Environment with Per Seat Licensing. Approximately 25 Servers and 300 Users. No Software Assurance. I have a limited budget to only upgrade to Exchange 2000. So I recommened Exchange 2003 Server 300 Cals, and 5 Exchange 2003 Server Licenses for the Backend and Front End Server. If I propose to re-install the OS of these 5 Servers ( From Windows 2000 Enterprise to Windows 2003 Standad, ) and add them as member servers for Exchange. Do I also need to buy Windows 2003 Cals as I am going to introduce Windows 2003 Servers in the Domain. Thanks ...

VS6 -> .NET migration, icon question
I have migrated a small MFC project from VS6 to .NET. One reason is that the end user wants me to use the 9 icon types standard for XP -- 16x16, 32x32, 48x48 at 4, 8, and 24 bit color depth. These are the icon types I see when I create an empty project however these types are not available after migration. For example, if I select "New Image Type..." I get a dialog to choose from with no icon type exceeding 8 bit color. If I select the "Custom..." button in this dialog, I am constrained by a combo box from creating any icon with greater than 8 bit color. How do I creat...

Sender filtering questioning
1.) Is there anyway to seperate the "Message with Blank Sender" and the senders manually defined into different folders, When the "Archives Filtered Messages" is enabled? Its kind of tough the search through 1000's of emails to find out if 1 person in the list has send email. 2.) Also in the bad mail directory why is 3 files created for 1 bad email, this is a space hog, Also is there anyway to stop the collection of bad emails? thanks, Chris DEL *.* Schedule a job to do it. -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!"...

OS X Mail to Entourage import received date wrong

Attachment question
When double clicking on an attachment I get a message if I would like open or save the file. I would like to open it but I don’t want to answer this question again. There is an option which says “Always ask before opening this type of file” which I want to turn off but can’t since it is greyed out. I was able to turn this off on WIndows XP but I cannot do this on Windows Vista. Any ideas? -- Message posted via OfficeKB.com http://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/ms-outlook/201005/1 On Tue, 11 May 2010 03:05:49 GMT, "Shawn76 via OfficeKB.com" <u57604@uwe> w...

Money 2002 or later Question
I have used MONEY 2002 since it was put on the market. I have never upgraded because that version does exactly what I need it to do and it doesn't want a passport account so it can put all my personal information onto the internet or Microsoft's computers. However, tonight something strange happened and because Microsoft documentation is difficult to find at best, I can not find out what I need to know. (Or maybe I should say 'would like to know.') I created a new account and started to enter a few past transactions that occurred over several months. At the end of ea...

Average Question #3
Dates are in column B Prices are in column C I want cell D1 to show the average price for the last two weeks even though I'm adding new data every day. How do I do that? Hi Jim, Am Sat, 30 Apr 2011 04:34:53 -0700 schrieb JimS: > Dates are in column B > Prices are in column C > > I want cell D1 to show the average price for the last two weeks even > though I'm adding new data every day. =AVERAGE(OFFSET($C$1,COUNTA($C:$C)-1,,-14)) Regards Claus Busch -- Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2 Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2 On Apr 30, 4:51=A0am, Claus Busch <...

Bootable optical drive question
We have a Sony DRU-720A (latest firmware JY08) DVD-RW on a Windows XP Pro SP3 Intel P4 1.8GHz 2GB RAM 250GB HDD machine. It is set to be the first boot drive in BIOS. We noticed that some bootable discs do not work on this unit though they boot on other PCs. But other discs do boot up as expected. 'Non-booting' examples are Window 7 and Ubuntu 9. They work perfectly elsewhere. Could a drive have an issue like this? It does not have any other 'problem' that we found. Unfortunately, the warranty period is over. Regards and TIA for any insights. Avatar -----...

excel 2003 (11.8307.8221) SP3
Can someone point me in the right direction? I have an excel formatting problem. The contents of the cells involved are calculated as follows: cellA contents: "1/15/2010 4:00:00 PM" --- date format "3/14/2001" cellB contents: "1/13/2010 7:00:00 PM" --- date format "3/14/2001" cellC contents: "=sum(a1-a2)" --- time format "37:30:55" --- result displays "45:00:00" which is what I'd expect: exactly 45 hrs But I can't figure out how to convert the cellC contents to display the ...

Histogram question
I have a column chart, with 2 series on it, one has the blocks going up (positive) and the other series has negative values, so the blocks are pointing down, they are overlapped as they share the same categories on the x axis, which are just bins associated with numeric values however, when i try to format the y axis so that the x axis cuts across the bottom of the page, it messes up the negative series, what I really want is for the x axis to be through the middle of the page so both series look right, but the x labels to be at the foot of the page - is that possible? I could do it with text...

Question on CTabCtrl and CDialog
Hi there, I created a tab-control with two tabs on a CDialog. Each of the two tabs is a dialog with an edit box. Now the tab-control works well and I can see the two dialogs when I click the tabs. My trouble is how to get the two dialogs really work for me. I mean how to activate one of the dialogs and make it take my input in the edit box. DoModal() doesn't seem work. I appreciated your help and suggestions. Rich Sounds like your focus needs to be set to the edit control. When the dialog that contains the tabs is displayed, the other dialogs (tab pages) are already created, this...

Question...
Ok I have a list of dates spread across the top of my spreadsheet liste for every Monday from now until the end of December. And every week come into the document and highlight the week that it is currently i green, and turn the last week's back to white. Is there a way to d this automatically so that I do not have to manually do it every week? Thanks, Tyeja -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try using a conditional format.e.g. if you data starts in A1 try: - select your data in row 1 - goto the conditional format dialog and enter the following formula: =(a1<TODA...

Simple question: Can I a lookup across multiple columns? (ie, if c and d = j and k)
Say I want to match a value from column a and column b with a value tha is somewhere in column j and column k, and if it does make the value o the selected cell the value in column l. Ex: A B C J K L 1 2 2 3 x 4 5 6 7 y 8 9 1 2 z In that example the lookup would give back the value of z for the firs c column entry and nothing for the others since 4 and 5, and, 8 and do not match up with any two columns in j and k -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Something like this might work for you: I put the table in A1:L3. I put 1 i...

Question on "Monthly Income and Expenses" report
I decided I wanted to generate a quarterly report by category showing monthly income and expenses. I was able to get it to work, but try as I might, I can not find a way to show transfers from my checking account to my savings account. I know that I do not want to show transfers to the credit card account. But the choices on the show transfers does not result in the transfers to savings or the purchase of CD's as showing up in the report. I am running Money Plus Delux. Without chasing the specifics just yet, understand that "Income and Expenses" are everything Transfe...

Newsgroup showing my messages as comments when they are sent with the radio button on Question
I have sent two questions in the last couple of days and in Windows Mail they are listed with the comments icon rather than the question icon. When the messages are sent the radio button is checked for question. Is anyone else getting the same problem or do you see my questions with the question icon? Thanks, Nigel Nigel Freeney <nigel.msnewsgroups@freeney.co.uk> wrote: > I have sent two questions in the last couple of days and in Windows > Mail they are listed with the comments icon rather than the question > icon. > > When the messages are sent the radio butt...

Resizable dialog question
Hi, Is there a way to remove the icon on the left side of the Title, that pops when I set my dialog box style to Resizable ? thanks, Yoav. When you call to SetIcon inside OnInitDialog pass NULL as first parameter. SetIcon(NULL, TRUE); -- Un saludo Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez [MVP] FAQ de microsoft.public.es.vc++ http://rcorral.mvps.org Uppsss... I miss the importan word in your message: resizable... My aswer doesn't work with resisable dialogs... -- Un saludo Rodrigo Corral Gonz�lez [MVP] FAQ de microsoft.public.es.vc++ http://rcorral.mvps.org You could remove the WS_SYS...

Marco Execution Question Please
I have a very small macro I use with Excel 2000. The macro works fine when I manually choose TOOLS/MACRO/MACROS/PLAY, when I try the keyboard shortcut (CTRL Q) nothing happens (it has worked fine for many months). I tried going in and changing the keyboard shortcut to some thing else and it still doesn't work. Suggestions? (I am a novice - go easy on me). -- Thanks in advance... Bob Does your macro open another workbook? If yes, then change your shortcut key to a lowercase letter (ctrl-q, not Q). If you hold the shift key down when open a workbook, you disable the auto_open/work...

filtered list question
I want to autofilter a list and then run a vlookup based on the criteria used. How do you reference the first cell of a filtered list? Assumptions: A2:C10 contains your data E1 contains your lookup value You wish to return the corresponding value in Column C Formula: =VLOOKUP(E1,IF(SUBTOTAL(3,OFFSET(A2:A10,ROW(A2:A10)-MIN(ROW(A2:A10)),0,1) ),A2:C10),3,0) ....confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, not just ENTER. Adjust the formula accordingly. Hope this helps! In article <B218E24D-73A1-4BCE-8B8A-2A52DD6074BE@microsoft.com>, "Bob B" <Bob B@discussions.microsoft.com...

Simple question: How do I sort a column by date???
I have a column that I have defined as "Date" format and all dates are in the mm/dd/yyyy format. But, when I sort the column it sorts it like text; e.g., 01/01/2003, 01/01/2004,02/01/2003, etc. How do I tell Excel to sort the column in date order, not "text" order? TIA, Larry Woods Probably your dates are text, rather than "real" Excel dates. Just to check, format one date as general. If it still shows the date, than it's text. A date would have shown a number, somewhere around 3800 (today is day 38001 since 1-1-1900) -- Kind Regards, Niek Otten Mi...

xml xsd filling question
Hello, I have a XSD that looks like this: <xs:schema id="FlowInfo" xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:msdata="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:xml-msdata" attributeFormDefault="qualified" elementFormDefault="qualified"> <xs:element name="FlowInfoRoot"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="FlowInfoData"> <xs:complexType> <xs:sequence> <xs:element name="flowState" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" /> ...

Searching Column Question
Hi All, I'm having a problem searching some of my excel sheets and hope someone might have a way to do this. I need to search a workbook with multiple sheets for a specific value only in one column. For an example I have a inventory workbook with lots of sheets. All sheets have a column for barcodes (column F) and I need to search this column for a specific barcode number on all sheets simultaneously. Can this be done? Thanks. Brad --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Brad I don't believe you can limit your search to only one column on each sheet without VB...

Embarrasingly easy question

Standard Cost question
The standard cost of my item is $10 but I purchase the item for $11. The additional $1 also goes to the same inventory account in our system. So now the inventory account balance is a debit of $11. Next, when this item is consumed, inventory is issued out at standard cost which is $10. So now my inventory account still has a debit of $1 although there is no physical inventory. Can you help me out here? KT, Using standard cost, the $1 variance would be posted to the Purchase Price Variance account you set in posting accounts setup, unless you set the variance to post to the inventory acc...

Exchange 5.5 OWA question
I just installed OWA on a different server running IIS4 NT4 sp6a, do I aslo need to install sp4 for Exchange 5.5 and other patches? Tia I would install Ex5.5 sp4, then I'd go out to the Microsoft Security Bulletin Search site and find out all the patches required for Ex5.5. I'd read thru each patch and deploy the approppriate ones. "im_tigerwoods" <im_tigerwoods@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O5OqVNQGEHA.1012@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I just installed OWA on a different server running IIS4 NT4 sp6a, do I aslo > need to install sp4 for Exchange 5.5 and ot...

HELP !!! Authentication Error CRM3.0
Whil adding new Users into CRM, one new role, new Business Units and Teams I receive the following error from any user attempting to log into the system? When adding the new items I did not change any admin accounts whatsoever, or the main Business Unit? All I did was add sub- Business Units, Users and Teams and assign them accordingly. Can any help on how we can fix this? Authentication Error Microsoft CRM could not log you on to the system. Make sure your user record is enabled and that you have been assigned at least one security role. For more information, contact your system administrato...