Post to GL vs Post Through GL Files

Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having the
boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any problem
with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume that
not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the GL.
0
JeffG (15)

I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am
uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes
checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want to
post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these selections when you're
entering beginning balances or if you're entering correcting transactions in
a subsidiary module and don't want the amounts to affect General Ledger.)

Selecting "post to" means that you will have an opportunity to edit you
entry prior to posting to the GL. However, it also means you have another
step because you must initiate that posting. Please note that even if you
edit the GL entry, this edit does not get written back to the distribution
of the original entry. For example, a payables invoice incorrectly debits
Administrative Expense instead of Selling Expense. Even though you edit the
GL entry before posting, if you look on the distribution in the payables
module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
Ledger.

For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
GL.

I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did select
Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For this company
I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the GL and I must
post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do not have
something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.

I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
this.
"Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
> the
> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
> problem
> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume that
> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the
> GL.

Jeff and Donald,

To be able to Post Through GL you NEED to have the Post to GL checked.  Try
it - unchecking Post to GL disables the Post Through option.  As Donald
said, basically Post Through GL is just a way of saving a step in the
posting process so instead of creating a GL transaction and waiting for a
user to manually post it, the transaction is posted to the GL automatically
once the subledger posting occurs.  That's why the Post to GL has to be
checked - if you're not posting to GL, how could you have that posting
automated?

--
Victoria Yudin
Microsoft MVP - Great Plains

"Donald W. Johnson" <djohnson@pshinc.com> wrote in message
>I am surprised that you can have both boxes checked. In that instance, I am
>uncertain what would happen. Normally, you would have only one of the boxes
>checked. (You could also have none of the boxes checked if you don't want
>to post to the GL. For example, you might unmark these selections when
>you're entering beginning balances or if you're entering correcting
>transactions in a subsidiary module and don't want the amounts to affect
>General Ledger.)
>
> Selecting "post to" means that you will have an opportunity to edit you
> entry prior to posting to the GL. However, it also means you have another
> step because you must initiate that posting. Please note that even if you
> edit the GL entry, this edit does not get written back to the distribution
> of the original entry. For example, a payables invoice incorrectly debits
> Administrative Expense instead of Selling Expense. Even though you edit
> the GL entry before posting, if you look on the distribution in the
> payables module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
> Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
> Ledger.
>
> For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
> posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
> inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
> GL.
>
> I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did
> select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
>
> I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
> this.
> "Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
>> the
>> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
>> problem
>> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume
>> that
>> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the
>> GL.

0
victoria (3340)
10/6/2005 8:20:56 PM
i completely agree with victoria  .
allowing post through gl provides additional constraints like editing and
deleting, on your daily transactions
if you have many frequent Batch transactions on  daily basis then avoid this
option .
it  also depends on  your company policiy.

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> > this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> > GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> > not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
> >
> > I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about
> > this.
> > "Jeff G" <JeffG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> Ok.....a stupid question here.  What exactly is the difference is having
> >> the
> >> boxes checked to Post to GL and Post Through GL Files?  Is there any
> >> problem
> >> with having one vs the other or both of them checked?  I would assume
> >> that
> >> not having the Post Through GL will require you to post each batch to the

0
MRajput (3)
11/17/2005 1:08:08 PM
Hi,

We  having a problem with bank transection entries.
Posting  setting is Tools/Setup are correctly set  as post To the G/L. After
enter bank Transection it is creating a batch but smartlist also showing that
entry before its posting. The Transection  seems as posted but we do't.

Second problum is we have done bank deposit entry it is showing same entry
in twice time one is with description and one without discription.

 What else do I need to check?
 Thanks for your help.
Naveed

"M.Rajput" wrote:

> [...]
> > > payables module for the originating entry, it will still show a debit to
> > > Administrative Expense, even though there is no such entry in the General
> > > Ledger.
> > >
> > > For my primary company I post to the GL because I occasionally have users
> > > posting entries in the subsidiary modules without account numbers or using
> > > inactive account numbers that I want to fix before they are posted to the
> > > GL.
> > >
> > > I have another company, which has very few transactions, where I did
> > > select Post Through GL since I am the only one making the entries. For
> > > this company I still find certain transactions dod not post through to the
> > > GL and I must post them using GL Series Posting. It is possible that I do
> > > not have something set up correctly that is causing this to occur.
> > >
> > > I hope this helps. I assume you have already read the Help topics about

0
naveed (68)

naming .xls file based on a cell in excel
when i hit save as, i would like excel to refer to a certain cell on m spreadsheet to name the spreadsheet file. is there a way to do this -- lsu-i-lik ----------------------------------------------------------------------- lsu-i-like's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1431 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=38210 lsu-i-like Wrote: > when i hit save as, i would like excel to refer to a certain cell on my > spreadsheet to name the spreadsheet file. is there a way to do this? Isu, With a macro, Something li...

Opening files in different windows (and displays)
I want to be able to display Excel files in entirely separate windows, so I can show them on different screens if I want (I run with 2 displays on XP). It appears that Excel opens all files in the same main window, and while you can move things around within that one window, you cannot get files to appear outside of that window, and you cannot get two files to appear on two different displays. This problem has been posted in the past, the answer always seems to be "Tools|Options|View and select "Windows in taskbar" option.". That is NOT the answer to this question. That is...

Open File Dialog
In a database I use an Open File Dialog to open multiple files using an Array and then I use the Array to populate a list and process it. This works great, until I select over 7 files, at which point the array remains empty without the error handler triggering. Is there a logical reason and/or solution for this? Further research indicates that when the number exceeds 7 the following line starts giving a False instead of a True: aht_apiGetOpenFileName(OFN) ...

newbie how do i read the following values in a XML file

Sometimes Saving a file makes program unresponsive
Hi, I'm using Office Pro 2003 on a PC with Windows XP pro. Often when I try to save a file in either Publisher, Word or Powerpoint the program locks up. This seems to happen particularly if I try to save to a destination other than the default "My Documents" and navigate through the disk structure. I then have to terminate the program and start again. Does anyone have any ideas what is going on here. Thankyou Ron Are you getting an error message? Are you trying to save the files to a "read only" folder? Is it a permission issue? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http:/...

windat files I have a nagging problem with attachments to my emails that have the the winmail.dat attachnents
I have a nagging problem with attachments to my emails that have the ..winmail.dat format. my hotmail email will not open these attachments. I have to save the attachment to my desktop and then use a windat reader to open the file,which takes so much time. isn't there any other way to open these attachments? thankyou. -- Richard K Mahan Sr "Imagination is the Father of Creativity" -- Richard K Mahan Sr "Imagination is the Father of Creativity" "Richard Mahan" <dmachen35@comcast.net> wrote in news:QYidnQUtfOjpTVvbnZ2dnUVZ_q6hn...

Atomatic file name in excell 2002 from cel A1 (like in word 2002)
In word 2002 the first line you type, when you go to save becomes the sugested file name. Can this be done in excel? Instead of the book1, book2, etc.. With this question can the refrance cell for the file name have lookups involved? My wife & I made a spreadsheet for our buisness and save from the master to a specific job numbr and property adress. If it can be lookuped in the cell this would save alot of time. Thanks for all the help to come! Hi, Steve. Since you said "my wife", I assume you're Steve. Hee hee... Try this! http://www.vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.ph...

Importing Delimited Files
I'm trying to import data that is in a delimited format and I'm wondering if Access can do what I'm needing. The file starts out with a header section seperated by asterisks. After coming to a specific set of letters in the file there will be information that belongs under that header. This will be seperated by both * and ~. The file will continue on and have another header section followed by more information belonging with the second header. I'm needing to import several files into Access, sort them to match their appropriate header (information belonging to a cert...

NTFS file meta data
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit How can I set the From, Subject, To properties of Outlook MSG files to display in a manner as EML files? I have folders of thousands of these files and would love to create a batch processors to do this. TIA Russ ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01CAFF1D.F88487D0 Content-Type: image/png; name="Capture.PNG" Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64 Conte...

Reducing Spam Associated with Posting to Newsgroups
Due to a recent increase in spam sent to posters in newsgroups, Microsoft advises that newsgroup participants should consider avoiding posting to newsgroups using their real email address. Microsoft is also committed to continuing to address the issue of spam from a technological perspective. To help avoid receiving unwanted messages (spam) in your regular e-mail account, you may not want to include your regular e-mail address when you post a question or reply to a post in a discussion group. Instead you may want to do one of the following: * Use a modified e-mail address: Use a different v...

Can't get rid of rogue PST file in Folder List
Hi, I have Outlook XP SP1 and latest updates. After a recent reinstall of WinXP I now have 2 PST files listed. One is my normal one, and the other is pointing at a file that doesn't exist. I get the error when I click on it: "Unable to display the folder. Microsoft Outlook could not access the specified folder location. The path specified for the file ... is not valid." I can't right-click to delete it. If I try to create a PST where it is hoping to find one, it won't open it anyway. I've removed all references (there were 2) to that PST from registry. What els...

why now are all my documents shown as a paint file?
I click on a document and paint tries to open it and says it is not a valid graphic file. I don't want paint to open it. I want word to open it and am still trying to figure out how this happens and get my documents shown with little text icons instead of the paint icon... in spite of this I do like windows seven. charlie Something (or someone) inadvertently changed your file association for .DOC files. To fix: 1.) Open Windows Explorer 2.) Naviage to where you have a document (.doc or .docx) file (If you don't have file extensions showing, you may need to eith...

Excel putting name in opened files
This has probably been mentioned before. I tried googling and other searching, but can't find the right keywords to get what I am looking for without getting a ton of other garbage. Basically, while experimenting for a program to determine a file format, I noticed that simply opening an Excel .XLS file causes Excel to put my name in it, roughly at offset $22B (555 decimal) if there is no VBA code in it. Possibly around $62B if there is some code. The file's date or time is NOT altered. The .XLS is modified even if I do NOT save the file. Is there a way to do disable this, with...

How do I remove an e-mail heading from an Excel file?
In my Excel file, it came up with an e-mail message area as part of the file which I must have accidentally inserted. The e-mail portion needs to be removed, but cannot find how to do this. Any suggestions? Thanks! Hi alstarr Click on the mail button next to the Save icon in the Standard toolbar -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "alstarr" <alstarr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66522CEC-F128-453B-8EF3-29EA1417E1C3@microsoft.com... > In my Excel file, it came up with an e-mail message area as part of the file > which I must ha...

The Tracking Database File is Corruped c1032750
Hi When I use the message tracking centre I get the error c1032750 I suspect this is due to our server crashing earlier this week. How can I get my message tracking back online? Thanks B On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 14:49:46 +0100, "Ben" <Ben@Newsgroups.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi > >When I use the message tracking centre I get the error c1032750 > >I suspect this is due to our server crashing earlier this week. > >How can I get my message tracking back online? > >Thanks >B > Can you move the log files to another spot? If you run chkdsk, does it r...

IE8 won't open .config files
I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fully up to date with patches. When I try to open a *.config file with IE it comes in an endless loop where I'm asked if I want to save or open the file. Chosing Open, I get the same dialog again. If I rename the config file to *.xml opening with IE is fine. Why oh why does IE refuse to open .config files? And how can I tell him it's ok to do so? Thanks, Di "Di" <Di@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DB8EFC57-3580-492D-A390-9BE03F12DE85@microsoft.com... > I have Windows 7 and IE8 and I'm fu...

Works Spreadsheets vs Excel
What's the difference between Works Spreadsheet and Excel....... I think they are both Microsoft but they don't work the same... I'm just a beginner, please help me to understand If I know how to use one can I use the other just as easy? Hi Works spreadsheets is a very simple small spreadsheet program for small basic work. Ecxel is a very complex big spreadsheet program, you can do just anything with it -including small basic work. They are both Microsoft applications but their file formats are not compatible. If you have basic spreadsheet skills then you won't have pro...

Filter Switches vs Sheet Protection?
Excel 2000 ... TabSheet contains "Filter" Switches ... However, when I "Protect" TabSheet "Filter" Switches appear to deactivate ... That said ... is there a way to set TabSheet Protection so "Filter" Switches will still work??? Thanks ... Kha I believe with XL2000 you need to use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello", UserInterfaceOnly:=True .EnableAutoFilter = True End With With XL2003 you have the option of setting it when you protect the sheet, or you could use: With ActiveSheet .Protect Password:="hello&qu...

shared DLL VS static Link, Are they different?
hi, everyone, I meet a strange problem: I'm using VC6 and create a dialog based applications. And I want to add a third part library( Open computer library--OpenCV AS DLL). I linked with the cxcored.lib. My APP will call functions in cxcore001d.dll. I only add two functions in the OnInitDialog function: ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// BOOL COpenCVdialogDlg::OnInitDialog() { ...... m_iplImage = cvCreateImage(ImgSize,IPL_DEPTH_8U,IMAGE_CHANNELS); cvReleaseImage(&m_iplImage); ...... } //////////////////////////////////////////////...

File-list generated from folder including attributes
Hey guys My macro generates a file-name list with accordingly attributes as "size", "Accessed date". My problem is to expand this Explorer-information with attributes: "Author" and "Owner". I dont know/cantv find the code...... maybe file.author or something????+ Here is my macro: Sub SelectFiles(ByVal sPath) '----------------------------------------------------------------------- Dim fldr As Object Dim Folder As Object Dim file As Object Dim Files As Object Set Folder = FSO.GetFolder(sPath) Set Files = Folder.Files...

IE launches .csv file with IE not Excel..
Prior to upgrading to Office 2003, when I download and "open" a .cs file with Internet Explorer (6), it would launch Excel and open the CS file in Excel as a separate application. Now, after upgrading to Office 2003, using the "open" button launche the same CSV from within IE, instead of opening the full Excel an passing the file external. Any ideas how to fix this? Bruc -- Btmacdo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Btmacdou's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1671 View this thread: http://w...

Copy a worksheet to another excel file
I went to the worksheet in question, right clicked and copied to another excel file. I then removed all the old excel file name references. The cells are still linked to the old excel. this applies to cells with Vlookup's "Mike S." wrote: > I went to the worksheet in question, right clicked and copied to another > excel file. I then removed all the old excel file name references. The > cells are still linked to the old excel. Are you trying to copy the formulas so that they point at an existing worksheet in that other workbook??? If yes... Then one way arou...

Wanted -to know how to post FILE NAME and DIRECTORY at bottom of my worksheet
Who knows how to post the formula at the bottom of all my excel worksheets that will give the file name and the directory of my file??? thanks for a reply! =CELL("Filename",A1). file must be saved for the first time. Regards, Jon-jon "Pedro" <pdk1974@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:0b3d01c38f14$216fd180$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Who knows how to post the formula at the bottom of all my > excel worksheets that will give the file name and the > directory of my file??? > > thanks for a reply! In case you wanted to put full path including sheetnam...

File in Use Error
I am having a problem convincing Excel 2000 that I have closed a certain file. This morning I opened the file through the network from our server. After making changes to the file I saved it, closed the file, and then closed MS Excel. This afternoon I come back from lunch and attempt to open the file again. Now I get a box that says"File name is locked for editing by "Computer Name". I have seen this in the past and usually it is not a problem. Ask the other person to exit out of the workbook or click "notify" and be patient. This time, however, I am that Computer n...

Importing Excel file using automation
I'm trying to use the article found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;186122 to import an Excel file into my app, but it's having problems importing fields that are dates (and possibily a bunch of other types). For some reason dates are sometimes interpreted as floats. Or putting it another way, the VARIANT is typed as VT_R8. What's that about? I can coerce the VARIANT with VariantChangeType(), but the problem is *knowing* if a field is supposed to be a date or a float. Excel doesn't have a problem knowing that, so I'd hope that an Excel automation ...