PA Cost Categories should allow multiple transaction usage types

When creating new cost categories, in a real life project accounting or job
cost environment, most clients don't want all their cost categories to be
different.  You should be able to say when setting up a cost category that
you want that cost category to be able to be used as a Timesheet AND
Purchases/Materials, you should be able to pick one or many of the usage
types.

I currently have a client that had to implement 2 million cost categories to
get around this product limitation and there is not one good business reason
why the software wouldn't allow this!

Please place this on the priority list for improvements to the project
accounting module, it is probably about a 15 hour programming change and
would improve the usability to clients dramatically!!!!

Thanks...

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=88e43489-907a-40cc-b384-61219772c0fa&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
1
MattEdman (1)

And what about third party companies that have to also spend dollars to
revamp their products to work the new way?

I think that the selection of PA was misguided and another project system
would have been much wiser. There are ISV solutions out there that would
probably fit the needs much better.

Even if you could use the same ID across transaction types, your quoted
number would require 33,333 (2,000,000/6 trx types) cost categories to be
created. That number by itself is ridiculous and should have also triggered
the selection of an alternate design or project system.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Matt Edman" wrote:

> When creating new cost categories, in a real life project accounting or job
> cost environment, most clients don't want all their cost categories to be
> different.  You should be able to say when setting up a cost category that
> you want that cost category to be able to be used as a Timesheet AND
> Purchases/Materials, you should be able to pick one or many of the usage
> types.
>
> I currently have a client that had to implement 2 million cost categories to
> get around this product limitation and there is not one good business reason
> why the software wouldn't allow this!
>
> Please place this on the priority list for improvements to the project
> accounting module, it is probably about a 15 hour programming change and
> would improve the usability to clients dramatically!!!!
>
> Thanks...
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=88e43489-907a-40cc-b384-61219772c0fa&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
callen (2505)

Multiple Excel Worksheets into Presentations
I have an Excel 2007 file with 8 worksheets. How can I get them into an 8 slide PowerPoint 2007 in a method quicker than Copy/Paste each sheet onto separate slides. I am hopeful that there is an import method that can be employed. Thank you Marsh In article <5F0ACDA1-1414-49A9-B9FE-094B255E2C29@microsoft.com>, Marsh wrote: > I have an Excel 2007 file with 8 worksheets. > How can I get them into an 8 slide PowerPoint 2007 in a method quicker than > Copy/Paste each sheet onto separate slides. I am hopeful that there is an > import method that can be employed. ...

How do I set up a graph out of multiple choice survey?
I am working on my Senior Thesis and trying to take a 10 question multiple choice survey that I had people complete and chart/graph the results. I haven't used Excel in years and I am completely lost!!! Mareah_0311, This is not as complicated as you think. Column A Column B Column C 1st Question Asked Responder1 answer Responder 2 Answer 2nd Question asked ditto ditto and so on and so forth Then to make the graph, select all data in cell B2 across top to include all enties, and down. Example: If questions ar...

delimiting w/multiple delimiters?
I have a large database I use that has our item numbers and quantities in the same cell (example: PRODUCTA Q100, and PRODUCTA Q200, etc). It works for me to use the quantities for formula later by doing the "text to columns" and delimiting by Q. Problem is, sometimes the product name also has a Q in it so the delimiting function seperates it incorrectly. Like: Works: cell A: PRODUCTA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCTA cell B: 100 Doesn't work when: cell F: PRODUCTQA Q100 turns to-- cell A: PRODUCT cell B: A cell C:100 The LAST Q# is always the one I w...

SUMIF Multiple Sheets
I am trying to use a SUMIF statement to sum the values in cell C2 over multiple sheets if the value in A2 is a 1 but am continuing to get an error message. Here is the formula I am using "=SUMIF(Sheet2:Sheet56!A2,1,Sheet2:Sheet56!C2)". Any help would be greatly appreciated. Take a look here; http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/threedsumif.html In article <8E6CE515-9C66-48E0-89D4-3522A492AD52@microsoft.com>, "conger12" <conger12@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to use a SUMIF statement to sum the values in cell C2 over > mu...

How do print multiple mail merge documents on one page?
I have an invitation that I want to print onto expensive paper. I can get 3 to a page. How can I get the mail merge facility to print different names on each of the 3 invites that occur on the same page? Rachel <Rachel@discussions.microsoft.com> was very recently heard to utter: > I have an invitation that I want to print onto expensive paper. I can > get 3 to a page. How can I get the mail merge facility to print > different names on each of the 3 invites that occur on the same page? You might start by reading the tutorial here: http://www.publishermvps.com/Default.aspx?tab...

Combine multiple information stores onto one SANS exchange cluster
I am an admin of a large company and we are looking to combine 10 different exchange servers with 10 different stores into one Exchange cluster onto a SANS. I am looking for advice or kb's to get some ideas and knowledge on how to approach this. ANy help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks! Scott Setup the new cluster, locate the new Store(s) and Transaction Logs on appropriately-sized LUNs on the SAN. You may need multiple Stores in multiple Storage Groups, depending on how you size/limit your Stores. (For instance, it's not a good idea to create a single Store of 200-300 Gi...

Help with query using multiple variables
Current query fields: Account, SumPrincPmts, Transactions, PostDate I am needing to run a query from a form (form name: frmbuyout) that places the results in a report (Test). I need this query to Filter my results by date and where the Principal pmts (are listed in table as a LTD Sum) are less than the Total Transactions by account(currently in the table the transactions are listed individually and not a sum of). With the code below I can filter the information by date but I am having trouble finding a way to also filter by pmts value being less than the sum of the total transactions (this wi...

PA entries Dist reference flow to the GL dist ref
When an entry is made in PA, and the dist reference is populated, while posting to the GL the user entered distribution reference is overwritten with a default one. My customer wants the dist ref that the user enters to flow in the dist ref line the GL. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "...

How can equity be < cost basis?
I'm using MS Money 2004 SB. I have a fund that the equity is less than the cost basis. It doesn't seem to make since given the purchases and current price on that fund. I made two purchases: 6/5 50.437 @ $14.87 = $750 6/6 20.229 @ 14.83 = $300 plus a small dividend. Last price was $14.33 and my avg cost is $14.854. Gain is -37.41%. Cost basis is $1059.54 and equity is $5.21. My market value on this fund is $1022.13. Given those numbers, how can the fund be down by 37.41% and equity be only $5.21? My market value matches that in the online broker account. Thanks, Brett O...

I have multiple instances of most of my email messages.
I'm using MS Outlook 2003 on Windows XP Home Edition. It takes forever to go thru my email as I have multiple instances of most of my email messages. If I delete one copy I still have two or more copies remaining. Some of these multiple messages are in the same email folder and others are in different email folders. I don't think this is a bug; it seems as if this is the result of a choice I made in setting up how to view email but I can't figure out what I did so I can undo it. Hi Kathleane, have a look on this site : "Why does my Outlook keep receiving duplicate me...

How do I create a chart that includes 1 bar series & multiple line

summing monthly transactions
My sheet has transactions sorted by date. I need to add transactions for each month. I was hoping that in a seperate tab I'd be able to have cells w' Jan, Feb, Mar, etc... and next to that the equation would look at the transactions tab and bring in the sum of transactions for Jan, Feb, Mar, etc... You want a Pivot Table. It will do exactly what you want. See http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm for more information. Regards, Fred "bobby769" <bobby769@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E0328E9E-C6B5-4C2D-899A-7140A6EF4A95@micr...

using anti-malware causing 100% usage
Seems like of I let them all run, my PC is too busy for anything else. Just superantispyware is causing 100% CPU usage, and then the next time I start my PC, Verizon Internet Security Suite says it has been partially disabled and I need to click Fix it. I do and it gets fixed. And while starting up, the blue "Windows id starting" screen takes several minutes to pop up the administrator icon. So of these: Superantispyware, malwarebytes, Spybot S&D and Verizon Internet Security Suite; How best to used these tools daily to protect my PC while at the same time not imapa...

Transaction Table Column Uses
Does anyone know what the Status column or the ExchangeID column are used for in the RMS Transaction table? I have a few hundred thousand transactions and none of them have a value other than 0 for either of these so I'm thinking they might not be used. I'm I safe to change them for my own uses? More generally, does anyone have a list of the tables/columns and their uses? I know there are unused columns in the item table so it wouldn't surpise me if they were in other tables as well. Thanks. ...

Same record for multiple forms
I am using Access 2003. I am familiar with the very basics of VBA but I think my problem can be solved with some help regarding vba and syntax. We refurbish & recover rollers from paper producing machines at our facility. I am working on a database that will centralize al the data that is generated when the roll comes in for service. Currently each dept keeps a record of just what they do. Below is sample production route that I have simplified: 1. The Roll is recieved and given a unique sales order number. 2. Roll goes through an inspection process. 3. Roll receives a new cover...

HELP Cannot Filter "Category" when discounting MANY items
Hello, our reseller and I are working on this, but so far; All PCs and server are RMS SP2, all clients are W2K or XPPro in a W2K domain setting. All PCs and server highly stable, SQL2K-sp2, very stable, no bugs. When picking items for Discount, we go StoreManager\Inventory Wizard\Change Item Prices\"Items in this Filter". We have 65000 items, so individual or manual entry is not an option except to add to already discounted groups. The filter finds nothing when choosing options in the filter that includes the term - Category. Items are in very large Departments, then ea. Dept...

US-UK date formats & downloading transactions
I have accounts in both the US (=base currency) + UK. I typically download transactions manually from the institutions I hold accounts with, but the US-UK date format difference is causing problems (eg. 01/10/05: in the US = Jan 10th, in the UK = Oct 1st). I can't find a way of dealing with this. Help? In microsoft.public.money, "Anthro girl" <Anthro girl@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have accounts in both the US (=base currency) + UK. I typically download >transactions manually from the institutions I hold accounts with, but the >US-UK date form...

Building reports in Excel, for data being entered in Multiple Workbooks by Multiple users
Hello - I have a group of nurses that keep a lot of patient data in standard excel workbooks. I need to pull reports based on that data on a weekly, monthly, and sometimes daily basis. For now, I have been having them send me the data, and then I copy it all into a single workbook, and then I build the reports. But I would like to avoid this step, if possible, and somehow automate the selection of the data in each of their workbooks. Does anyone have any experience doing something like this. Is it even possible to perform advanced filters and pivots (i.e., reports) of multiple workbooks f...

Forward to Multiple SMTP Addresses
Does anyone know of a way to automatically forward an individual's incoming email to more than one SMTP address? The user properties only allows you to select one account/contact and I don't see a way to create a group of contacts. Thanks >> Joe Create a DL(distribution group) ad users as a member into this group, who ever needs to get the copy of e-mails Go to user properties | add this distribution group and enable forward e-mails to it. Best, oz "JAG" wrote: > Does anyone know of a way to automatically forward an individual's incoming > email to ...

Account balance is right, but there's a missing transaction in MM+
I pulled an update from Woodforest, and it updated ok. When I compare the MM+ register listing to the online one for the bank, there's a $100 transaction on the bank's website which does not show in MM+ - but the balances are in agreement, to the penny. How can that be? "Tom" <tomh5480@live.com> wrote on 25 Apr 2008 in group microsoft.public.money: > I pulled an update from Woodforest, and it updated ok. When I > compare the MM+ register listing to the online one for the bank, > there's a $100 transaction on the bank's website which does n...

How many e-mail boxes are allowed in Outlook 2003?
I have four different e-mail accounts (verizon and yahoo) and want them all to feed into MS Outlook 2003. So far I have successfully set up 3 of the 4 accounts but can not confirm the fourth email set up. Any suggestions? THanks, EG "EBGaudin" <EBGaudin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D93E33D5-0378-45F0-B559-C0F357D34207@microsoft.com... >I have four different e-mail accounts (verizon and yahoo) and want >them all > to feed into MS Outlook 2003. So far I have successfully set up 3 > of the 4 > accounts but can not confirm the fourth ...

email attachment to multiple recipients, CRM 4.0, marketing list
email attachment to multiple recipients: Can this be done in CRM 4.0? Using marketing lists should enable sending attachment to multiple recipients. What is the solution, in terms of using the given customization GUI in CRM 4.0? 10x No answers anywhere... I have been trying to tackle this problem for weeks in crm 4. I can't believe that Microsoft omitted the feature of being able to send contacts emails with attachments. With all the hype about how great CRM is for creating and tracking a campaign, you can't actually -send- a brochure, a newsletter... The closest thi...

Costs too much!
Dear Microsoft, Since you are already a multi-kadrillion world leader in technology and all, would it be possible to put Microsoft Office back into PC's and charge more reasonable prices for your software? Microsoft Works stinks. Period. Oh yeah, call this a little late, but Word 2007 is really not as "intuitive" as you might like to think. After more than a decade of classic Office menus and dropdowns, sticking every single thing into a ribbon and clicking all over the place to access what used to be a click away, to me, is very 'counterintuitive' and c...

Intercompany transaction totals not showing when saved to batch
We have just finished adding the multicurrency module to our version (GP 6.00g22, SP2 Build 2600) and are no longer able to see the batch totals in the transaction entry screen or on a print out. Has anyone had any experience with this issue? There is a maintance task that needs to be run after Multicurrency is installed. Cant remember if it is Check Links or Reconcile but it is one of those two. This will establish default currency id in existing transactions/batches/etc. Hope that helps -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP Documentation for Software Users For help lea...

cost benefit analysis and/or ROI templates
..Was wondering if anyone willing to share a cost benefit analysis and ROI template. tnx. ...