one instance multiple companies

Does anyone know if you run one instance  of great plains and setup multiple
compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally will
still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in order to
ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to run
multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be done?
are additional costs involved??
thank you

I'm not sure I understand the question - are you talking about installing
one instance of GP (with the same registration keys) on a single server for
multiple (unrelated) companies to use?  If so, I don't believe that is
allowed by the licensing agreement (either for GP or SQL Server).  If I am
misunderstanding your question - can you please clarify?

Thanks,

--
Victoria Yudin
GP MVP

"xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
> Does anyone know if you run one instance  of great plains and setup
> multiple
> compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally will
> still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in order
> ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to run
> multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be
> done?
> are additional costs involved??
> thank you

0
victoria (3340)
12/21/2005 12:12:30 AM
Hi Victoria
    That is exactely my question. 3 unrelated companies sharing one
installation of the great plains software.. Is this allowed??? And if so, my
primary concern is that of 'independent security' for each company, it would
seem to me that one person would have access to all financials ???
thanks for your assistance
David
"Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
> I'm not sure I understand the question - are you talking about installing
> one instance of GP (with the same registration keys) on a single server
for
> multiple (unrelated) companies to use?  If so, I don't believe that is
> allowed by the licensing agreement (either for GP or SQL Server).  If I am
> misunderstanding your question - can you please clarify?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> GP MVP
>

> "xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
> > Does anyone know if you run one instance  of great plains and setup
> > multiple
> > compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally will
> > still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in order
> > ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to
run
> > multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be
> > done?
> > are additional costs involved??
> > thank you

David,
Great Plains supports as many companies as you want (Limit is 32000 or so)
bu all must share the same DYNAMICS database, limiting you to one instance
of SQL server.

As for users - the sysadmin decides which user has access to which company
and specifically to what areas in each company - that is set using security
in GP

So, except for the sa, no one else needs to have access to all companies.

HS

[...]
: >
: > Thanks,
: >
: > --
: > Victoria Yudin
: > GP MVP
: >
: >
: > "xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
: > news:%23$Dk%23kYBGHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
: > > Does anyone know if you run one instance  of great plains and setup
: > > multiple
: > > compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally
will
: > > still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in
order
: > > ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to
: run
: > > multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be
: > > done?
: > > are additional costs involved??
: > > thank you
: > >
: > >
: >
: >
:
:

0
HSalim (1270)
12/21/2005 6:49:36 PM
I am fairly certain that this is not allowed under the licensing for either
Great Plains or SQL Server or Windows Server.  SQL Server and Windows Server
may have hosting type licenses that you could use for this, but I do not
think GP does.  However, I am not an expert on licensing, so please double
check with Microsoft to be sure.

--
Victoria Yudin
GP MVP

"xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
> Hi Victoria
>    That is exactely my question. 3 unrelated companies sharing one
> installation of the great plains software.. Is this allowed??? And if so,
> my
> primary concern is that of 'independent security' for each company, it
> would
> seem to me that one person would have access to all financials ???
> thanks for your assistance
> David
> "Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
>> I'm not sure I understand the question - are you talking about installing
>> one instance of GP (with the same registration keys) on a single server
> for
>> multiple (unrelated) companies to use?  If so, I don't believe that is
>> allowed by the licensing agreement (either for GP or SQL Server).  If I
>> am
>> misunderstanding your question - can you please clarify?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> --
>> Victoria Yudin
>> GP MVP
>>

>> "xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
>> > Does anyone know if you run one instance  of great plains and setup
>> > multiple
>> > compnaies if the administrator that setup the companies originally will
>> > still have access to all company records??? If this is the case in
>> > order
>> > ensure security between companies sharing a server would it be best to
> run
>> > multiple instances of Great Plains on the single server?? Can this be
>> > done?
>> > are additional costs involved??
>> > thank you

0
victoria (3340)
12/21/2005 8:11:43 PM
Thank you very very much to both of you , that clarifies everything!
kind regards
> I am fairly certain that this is not allowed under the licensing for
either
> Great Plains or SQL Server or Windows Server.  SQL Server and Windows
Server
> may have hosting type licenses that you could use for this, but I do not
> think GP does.  However, I am not an expert on licensing, so please double
> check with Microsoft to be sure.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> GP MVP
>

> "xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
> > Hi Victoria
> >    That is exactely my question. 3 unrelated companies sharing one
> > installation of the great plains software.. Is this allowed??? And if
so,
> > my
> > primary concern is that of 'independent security' for each company, it
> > would
> > seem to me that one person would have access to all financials ???
> > thanks for your assistance
> > David
> > "Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
> >> I'm not sure I understand the question - are you talking about
installing
> >> one instance of GP (with the same registration keys) on a single server
> > for
> >> multiple (unrelated) companies to use?  If so, I don't believe that is
> >> allowed by the licensing agreement (either for GP or SQL Server).  If I
> >> am
> >> misunderstanding your question - can you please clarify?
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> --
> >> Victoria Yudin
> >> GP MVP
> >>

> >> "xray4u" <pacs_nospam@mts.net> wrote in message
> > run

Deserialize an XML file with multiple namespaces...
Hopefully I can ask this question without regaling you kind people in too many gory details. Here's what I'm trying to do: - I have a local XML file with a .GPX extension which I downloaded from www.geocaching.com. - The file contains a bunch of elements called <WPT> - Within the WPT elements are a number of other elements <time>, <sym>, <groundspeak:name>... - The non-qualified elements come from a schema/namespace at http://www.topografix.com/GPX/ - The qualified elements come from a schema/namespace at http://www.groundspeak.com/cache - I ran xsd.exe with th...

problem with multiple SMTP domains in Exchange Server 2003
Hi there I have added a second SMTP domain to the Email Addresses (Policy) as follows: Recipients > Recipient Policies > Default Policy > Email Addresses (Policy) > New ... > SMTP Address > @xyz.com > (checked) This Exchange Organization is responsible for all mail delivery > to this address > Apply. When I do so, I no longer receive external emails on the first SMTP domain (@abc.com). Is this related to relay settings, or perhaps something else? Best regards Loane ...

Multiple Sessions of Outlook
Is it possible to run multiple Outlook sessions at the same time with different profiles? sid. No. -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the newsgroups*** "Sid" <sidboswell@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:c6b901c3b9ed$98ef8e90$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Is it possible to run multiple Outlook sessions at the > same time with different profiles? > > sid. ...

Application works on one PC but not on another with same OS?
Hi, My application works OK on my PC (Windows 2000, latest server pack) but not on my colleague's (same OS and SP). One difference is that I have the .NET IDE installed on my machine, and he doesn't. I used to have the same problem on my machine. An error was generated because (IIRC) I was using an MFC string comparison method on a char array. This worked in my debug config., but not in the release config. I replaced the code with a strcmp method, and that fixed it on my machine, but not on his. Is there something I should update in his Window's installation when I install the ap...

Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting
Select multiple adjacent cells of multiple cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. those cells looks like; |adjacent cells |cells| |some characters | A | |some characters | B | |some characters | A | |some characters | A | |some characters | B | I am trying to select adjacent cells of A cells without selecting adjacent cells one by one. Thank you for your help. Adjacent in this case, means? If desired, send your file to my address below. I will only look if: 1. You send a copy of this message on an inserted sheet 2. You give me the newsgr...

Job Listing- VC++ MFC with Isofttech
Position: Technical Lead Experience: VC++/C++ with MFC Good to have: Wireless 802.11 Skills & Windows development experience. 5-6 years of experience. Work Location: Chennai Education: BE/B Tech, ME/M Tech ( CS,IT,ECE,EEE) Do send in your CV to sridhar.doss@consultniche.com thanks s.doss niche consulting ...

Message Stuck in Outbox to Only One Particular Email Address
Hi: I have Outlook 2007 and have been using it for about 2 months or so. I have encountered a problem with sending emails. I have sent emails to a particular email address (WinTips-Tricks@yahoogroups.com ) and the emails get stuck in the outbox. The CPU usage is very high (about 76%) and the taskbar icon flashes furiously. If I look in the outbox, the email is also doing a staccato flash. At the bottom of Outlook the send says complete, yet the flashing taskbar icon, and flashing email in the outbox remain. After awhile (about 2-3 minutes) this stops, but the email remains in the outbox....

update worksheet in one file with worksheet in another file
I want to have one worksheet in one of my excel files (file 1) to reflect the contents of a worksheet in another file (file 2) every time it is opened (file 1), that is, everytime it is opened this one tab should reflect the last changes made on the tab in another file, including formating. I suspect this is possible but I don't have a clue how to do it. I have a few questions: Can this be done without VBA? (I'm not even a beginner with VBA!) I did search the web some and found the following that looks interesting: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=101&threadI...

entering multiple costs for an item
I am very new to Retail Management, and am trying to enter inventory, and create a purchase order. I can't figure out how to enter various costs for the same item from the same supplier. For example, when we purchase in lots of 50 pcs., the item cost is .50 per item (total cost of 25.00). However, if we purchase in lots of 100 pcs, the item cost is .47 per item (total cost of 47.00). We can also purchase the item in boxes of 10 (5.50 per box for a cost of .55 per item). How can I enter these costs so when I place a purchase order, the cost will be correct according to the quant...

Pull Data From Multiple Tables ????
Hi I will have 4 tables name "TblCostomers","TblVendors","TblAccounts", TblExpenses" Now i have a for name "FrmDrVouchers" that has a table "TblDrVouchers" in source. This form has two TxtBox Control name "TxtAccountNo" and "TxtAccountName" If User enters a Account No., It pulls the Account Name from Any One of these Table. I can do this if I have only one table. But tell me how can i do it while I have 4 tables for One Field of a table Thank you.. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://...

How to share info from one file to another?
I am wondering how I can share something perhaps from a cell of "file 1 to "file 2." I am familiar with how to do it from worksheet t worksheet within a single file. From what I have heard I know that i can be done but both files have to be located in the same folder. Correct me if I am wrong and please tell me briefly how it can be done I appologize if this is a newbie question. Thanks Chip Carlto -- ChipCarlto ----------------------------------------------------------------------- ChipCarlton's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

I'm looking for a community just like this one but for Entourge?
I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just like this one. Thank you. http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage Gilbert wrote: > I need to lear how to import and what formats I can import into Microsoft > Entourge. I'm hoping that at least someone can tell me of a community just > like this one. Thank you. Thank you very much Bob. "Bob I" wrote: > http://www.micros...

DNS Question
Hello All, I am working with a customer that has 2 Small Biz servers in the same office. These are on 2 domains, but the same subnet. I am having trouble getting mail to route between the 2 domains. Each is Small Biz server 2003. Domain A has a public IP of 72.151.19.122 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.78. Domain B has a public IP of 72.151.19.123 and an internal IP of 192.168.200.250. We are using a Netgear firewall and inbound and outbound mail between each of these domains and the rest of the world works fine. They just can't seem to talk to each other. I would think this woul...

view multiple public calendars
We have seven public folders set up as calendar for room appointments. How can we view them side by side as shared calendars? The only way I can think of implementing this is to set up 7 user accounts and share their calendars. -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com version of outlook? if 2003 or 2007, add them to the public folder favorites and they'll be in the calendar list. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipst...

enter-key works with two inputboxes but not with olny one.
Hi, There is a form with two inputboxes and a submit button.The focus is on the first inputbox. When the user presses the enter-key without having entered some text, the javascript message "wrong text" appears. This works. But if i remove the second inputbox, leaving only the first inputbox and the submit button, pressing the enter-key without any text does not show the javascript message. Nothing happens. The focus remains in the inputbox. You can see the page is postbacked, but that's all. Why does it work with two inputboxes and not with one? And how to fix...

Saving one page -- as Template?
Therre are several pages in a 40-page booklet I want to save to use in future editions. Is there a method to save these pages for re-us? Or must I save the entire publication as a Template? Can I copy single pages and paste in another .pub file? Save the entire document and delete out the pages you don't want. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "cuig" <cuig@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16052168-6085-43D0-AD8B-2CF4839933FC@microsoft.com... > Therre are several pages in...

RMS--Multiple Loyalty Clubs
Does anyone make an add on to allow for multiple loyalty clubs per client? I would like to be able to set it up so that I can either print out a certificate every month and send the customer a voucher for their reward points for the particular club, or set it up so that certain levels of points trigger certificates for redemptions for certain SKUs of product vs. a flat cash credit to their account. contact me at secure payment systems for some really cool options regarding our loyalty card program that we are integrating with microsoft's retail management system right now. It's...

Viewing multiple excell spreadsheets on the task bar
Why is it that when I have 3 or more excell spreadsheets open they are not all listed on my task bar the only way I can get to them is by going to the window button and selecting the one I want to see, I want to be able to ALT TAB between them and they are not listing them for me in the task bar only the current one I have open? Are you using XP? Sounds like that feature of XP which groups several windows of one application into one spot on the task bar. There may be a way to shut this off in taskbar properties. Click on the task bar and select properties. "Megan" wrote: ...

Win or Linux for Airlines? WHich one is better? Vacuum Power Of An Average Airplane Toilet
Seven years ago, the Poop Fetish community was embroiled in discussion about an unfortunate traveler who claimed she was vacuum-suctioned to an airplane toilet seat. Her claim was subsequently tested and disproven. But what was never in doubt was the suction power of an airplane toilet. AirTran Airlines has got some dude living on one of their planes for thirty days as some sort of PR stunt. No, he has NOT gotten stuck on an airline toilet. But he HAS provided an extremely visceral demonstration of just how powerfully these airplane toilets do, indeed, suck. Behold on YouTube; ...

Link footer of one file to cells in another file
Is this possible? Only via code... Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) With Me.Worksheets("sheet1") .PageSetup.CenterFooter = .Range("a1").Text End With End Sub If you're new to macros, you may want to read David McRitchie's intro at: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/getstarted.htm If you want to read more about these kinds of events: Chip Pearson's site: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/events.htm David McRitchie's site: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/event.htm Laura wrote: > > Is this po...

space between lines to be one
Re: Outlook 2003 I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between lines to be one (1)? Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between paragraphs. Thank you, Barry Karas "Barry Karas" <barrykaras1234@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EZidnXsnw4464xHbnZ2dnUVZ_rqhnZ2d@comcast.com... > Re: Outlook 2003 > > I use Outlook to process my e-mail. How would I make the space between > lines to be one (1)? > > Sometimes the space between lines is two (2), especially between > paragraphs. > > Thank you, > >...

Analysis of the Average Company in the S&P 500
I analyzed 493 out of the 500 companies on the SP500. With the people of microsoft.public.excel giving me guidance, I was able to take the weighted averages of many key ratios for that index: PE = 17.9079254407758 PB = 2.93147754323935 Debt/BookValue = 1.17693944444072 PS = 1.4996896887304 ROE = 0.163697216237257 Net Profit Margins = 0.0837444679837484 zutalors I analyzed 493 out of the 500 companies on the SP500. With the people of microsoft.public.excel giving me guidance, I was able to take the weigh...

Using multiple databases
I have three seperate databases - all do a differnt function using a seperate database that holds all the data in tables (i.e. one uses queries to export, one to import, one for reporting only) - and I want to keep all of the databases seperate. Can I create another database that just has a form that works as a dashboard and connect to the other three to do functions. Essentially, I want to be able to select an option to open reports, import data, or export data and do it without opening the other databases seperatly (a function that each database will perform on it's own w...

Print multiple tabs on one page
How to print multiple tabs in excel onto one page in one print job? Tab1 and tab2 have different format and cannot be combined into one tab. Need to print the two worksheets one on top of each other is the same direction. Tried Report Manager but printed on two pieces of paper. Any suggestions? One way to accomplish something like this is to play around with "pictures". I'm on an XL97 machine now so, When you hold down <Shift> and hit <Edit>, you get a different dialog box .... one that contains "picture " options. So, select an entire sheet, or p...

Printing a Purchase Order to Multiple Destinations
Is it possible to print a PO to a text file on the local machine or network in addition to the local default printer? -- Pete P. It is possible to print a text file to any single location you want in addition to the local default printer. Our system currently prompts users requesting this information. Giving them their choice of 3 formats: Screen Printer File These can be selected in any combination but only one destination per format can be specified. I am hoping that this thread will explain how/if one could deliver one printed report to multiple printers. Eventually I would lik...