Need help bring over GP 7.0 data to new a GP 8.0 server.

I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I
bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment?

Thanks in advance,
0
Kevin105 (377)

The easiest way is the following:

On the 7.0 server, detach DYNAMICS.
Copy the DYNAMICS mdf and ldf file from the 7.0 to the 8.0 server.
On the 8.0 server, attach and browse to the mdf that you copied.
On the 7.0 server, attach DYNAMICS.

Repeat for all databases.

If you also need the sql logins from the 7.0 server, there is a TK on how to
do this (uses a table called RecoveryMaster within Dynamics db).  If you can
go without the sql logins for the test, get the dbs copied over and use sa.
Then, once 8.0 is upgraded, create new login and assign to you existing user
classes to verify security.

"Kevin" wrote:

> I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I
> bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment?
>
> Thanks in advance,
0
Luvsql (265)
10/25/2004 8:29:08 PM
In addition to bringing the 7.0 databases to the 8.0 test server, you need to
upgrade the 7.0 databases to the 8.0 data model on the 8.0 test server.

After you install and launch Great Plains 8.0, you'll connect to your 8.0
test server.  Great Plains will determine that your databases need to be
upgraded and Great Plains Utilities will open.  Great Plains Utilities will
guide you through the upgrade/data conversion process.

"Luvsql" wrote:

> The easiest way is the following:
>
> On the 7.0 server, detach DYNAMICS.
> Copy the DYNAMICS mdf and ldf file from the 7.0 to the 8.0 server.
> On the 8.0 server, attach and browse to the mdf that you copied.
> On the 7.0 server, attach DYNAMICS.
>
> Repeat for all databases.
>
> If you also need the sql logins from the 7.0 server, there is a TK on how to
> do this (uses a table called RecoveryMaster within Dynamics db).  If you can
> go without the sql logins for the test, get the dbs copied over and use sa.
> Then, once 8.0 is upgraded, create new login and assign to you existing user
> classes to verify security.
>

> "Kevin" wrote:
>
> > I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I
> > bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
0
ballrich (3)
10/27/2004 9:15:03 PM
Thanks you

I have GP 8.0 up and running with my 7.0 data.

"Brian Allrich [MSFT]" wrote:

> In addition to bringing the 7.0 databases to the 8.0 test server, you need to
> upgrade the 7.0 databases to the 8.0 data model on the 8.0 test server.
>
> After you install and launch Great Plains 8.0, you'll connect to your 8.0
> test server.  Great Plains will determine that your databases need to be
> upgraded and Great Plains Utilities will open.  Great Plains Utilities will
> guide you through the upgrade/data conversion process.
>
> "Luvsql" wrote:
>
> > The easiest way is the following:
> >
> > On the 7.0 server, detach DYNAMICS.
> > Copy the DYNAMICS mdf and ldf file from the 7.0 to the 8.0 server.
> > On the 8.0 server, attach and browse to the mdf that you copied.
> > On the 7.0 server, attach DYNAMICS.
> >
> > Repeat for all databases.
> >
> > If you also need the sql logins from the 7.0 server, there is a TK on how to
> > do this (uses a table called RecoveryMaster within Dynamics db).  If you can
> > go without the sql logins for the test, get the dbs copied over and use sa.
> > Then, once 8.0 is upgraded, create new login and assign to you existing user
> > classes to verify security.
> >

> > "Kevin" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm setting up a GP 8.0 Test Server with SQL 2000 SP3a installed. How do I
> > > bring my Great Plains 7.0 Data into the GP 8.0 envirnoment?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance,
0
Kevin105 (377)

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

Microsoft CRM 3.0 Installation 11-08-07

Attaching Contacts to new email

Voice connector on Exchange server 2007.

Reporting from Project Server

New Implementation

Reading SQL Server Extended Properties

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Pulling data from separate tabs

New Record

data sort

I need a macro

Please help #8

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

SBS 2003 RWW & Windows 7 64 bit

predict future data

Terminal Server and GP Settings
Not being a Windows Terminal Server expert by any definition, I have a question for somebody who is. When wanting to have a user profile to store individual dex.ini files, my understanding is that each user would have his own Windows folder under their user folder. Additionally, if you typed SET at a command prompt, the settings for WINDIR would point to that user-specific Windows folder. Is this thinking correct? -- Charles Allen, MVP I think you also have to make certain that the dex.ini does NOT exist in the program install location for GP or it will still look to that. Dwight...