moving GP to another server

Hello:

Although it is definitely not the first time that I have been wrong about
something, I disagree with something that I have been told in a newly
redeveloped TechKnowledge and by some techs.  The disagreement has to do with
moving GP to another server.

Based on old technologies and on old school methods that I have used for
years, I (and other consultants that I know) have always created the
companies in GP Utilities from scratch on the new server.  Then, and only
then, have we restored backups of company databases from the old server into
the new server.

Recently, though, I have been told through a new TechKnowledge and techs
that you do not have to create the companies from scratch on the new server.
You can simply restore the backups of the databases from the old server to
the new server without having to "recreate" the companies and afterward
install GP on the new server.

Is that right?  You don't have to create the companies from scratch on the
new server?  Isn't it "cleaner" in any case to create the companies from
scratch on the new server through GP Utilities and restore the databases from
the old server to the new?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

It is correct that you do not have to use the method that involves creating
new databases on the new server. You can use the database copy capabilities
of SQL Server to copy SQL objects from source to destination server.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Although it is definitely not the first time that I have been wrong about
> something, I disagree with something that I have been told in a newly
> redeveloped TechKnowledge and by some techs.  The disagreement has to do with
> moving GP to another server.
>
> Based on old technologies and on old school methods that I have used for
> years, I (and other consultants that I know) have always created the
> companies in GP Utilities from scratch on the new server.  Then, and only
> then, have we restored backups of company databases from the old server into
> the new server.
>
> Recently, though, I have been told through a new TechKnowledge and techs
> that you do not have to create the companies from scratch on the new server.
> You can simply restore the backups of the databases from the old server to
> the new server without having to "recreate" the companies and afterward
> install GP on the new server.
>
> Is that right?  You don't have to create the companies from scratch on the
> new server?  Isn't it "cleaner" in any case to create the companies from
> scratch on the new server through GP Utilities and restore the databases from
> the old server to the new?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
0
callen (2505)
10/2/2007 3:16:00 AM
Also as Charles said it is better to copy objects from server to another, and
I would like to add that creating the companies in the new server might
generat different company index number according to the sequence of creation
and this could be different than the old index. on top of that, migrating the
server will involve migrating the GP users and their security settings rather
than redo it from scratch.

Thanks,
Ossama Emira, CISA
www.totaleintegrated.com)

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Although it is definitely not the first time that I have been wrong about
> something, I disagree with something that I have been told in a newly
> redeveloped TechKnowledge and by some techs.  The disagreement has to do with
> moving GP to another server.
>
> Based on old technologies and on old school methods that I have used for
> years, I (and other consultants that I know) have always created the
> companies in GP Utilities from scratch on the new server.  Then, and only
> then, have we restored backups of company databases from the old server into
> the new server.
>
> Recently, though, I have been told through a new TechKnowledge and techs
> that you do not have to create the companies from scratch on the new server.
> You can simply restore the backups of the databases from the old server to
> the new server without having to "recreate" the companies and afterward
> install GP on the new server.
>
> Is that right?  You don't have to create the companies from scratch on the
> new server?  Isn't it "cleaner" in any case to create the companies from
> scratch on the new server through GP Utilities and restore the databases from
> the old server to the new?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
The migration process is quite simple and well documented. search for
knowledge base article kb 878449 "How to transfer an existing Microsoft
Dynamics GP, Microsoft Small Business Financials, or Microsoft Small Business
Manager installation to a new server that is running Microsoft SQL Server"

"Ossama Emira, CISA" wrote:

> Also as Charles said it is better to copy objects from server to another, and
> I would like to add that creating the companies in the new server might
> generat different company index number according to the sequence of creation
> and this could be different than the old index. on top of that, migrating the
> server will involve migrating the GP users and their security settings rather
> than redo it from scratch.
>
> Thanks,
> Ossama Emira, CISA
> www.totaleintegrated.com)
>
> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> >
> > Although it is definitely not the first time that I have been wrong about
> > something, I disagree with something that I have been told in a newly
> > redeveloped TechKnowledge and by some techs.  The disagreement has to do with
> > moving GP to another server.
> >
> > Based on old technologies and on old school methods that I have used for
> > years, I (and other consultants that I know) have always created the
> > companies in GP Utilities from scratch on the new server.  Then, and only
> > then, have we restored backups of company databases from the old server into
> > the new server.
> >
> > Recently, though, I have been told through a new TechKnowledge and techs
> > that you do not have to create the companies from scratch on the new server.
> > You can simply restore the backups of the databases from the old server to
> > the new server without having to "recreate" the companies and afterward
> > install GP on the new server.
> >
> > Is that right?  You don't have to create the companies from scratch on the
> > new server?  Isn't it "cleaner" in any case to create the companies from
> > scratch on the new server through GP Utilities and restore the databases from
> > the old server to the new?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
0
Raj (124)
10/3/2007 3:39:00 PM
Will it cause problems if one server is running SQL 2000 and the new one
will have SQL 2005?

"Raj" <Raj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The migration process is quite simple and well documented. search for
> knowledge base article kb 878449 "How to transfer an existing Microsoft
> Dynamics GP, Microsoft Small Business Financials, or Microsoft Small
> Business
> Manager installation to a new server that is running Microsoft SQL Server"
>

> "Ossama Emira, CISA" wrote:
>
>> Also as Charles said it is better to copy objects from server to another,
>> and
>> I would like to add that creating the companies in the new server might
>> generat different company index number according to the sequence of
>> creation
>> and this could be different than the old index. on top of that, migrating
>> the
>> server will involve migrating the GP users and their security settings
>> rather
>> than redo it from scratch.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Ossama Emira, CISA
>> www.totaleintegrated.com)
>>
>> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>>
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > Although it is definitely not the first time that I have been wrong
>> > about
>> > something, I disagree with something that I have been told in a newly
>> > redeveloped TechKnowledge and by some techs.  The disagreement has to
>> > do with
>> > moving GP to another server.
>> >
>> > Based on old technologies and on old school methods that I have used
>> > for
>> > years, I (and other consultants that I know) have always created the
>> > companies in GP Utilities from scratch on the new server.  Then, and
>> > only
>> > then, have we restored backups of company databases from the old server
>> > into
>> > the new server.
>> >
>> > Recently, though, I have been told through a new TechKnowledge and
>> > techs
>> > that you do not have to create the companies from scratch on the new
>> > server.
>> > You can simply restore the backups of the databases from the old server
>> > the new server without having to "recreate" the companies and afterward
>> > install GP on the new server.
>> >
>> > Is that right?  You don't have to create the companies from scratch on
>> > the
>> > new server?  Isn't it "cleaner" in any case to create the companies
>> > from
>> > scratch on the new server through GP Utilities and restore the
>> > databases from
>> > the old server to the new?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> >
>> > childofthe1980s

0
gailr (88)

How to keep SBS 2003 server running after migrating to SBS 2008
I've successfully migrated from SBS 2003 to SBS 2008 on a new machine. However, I have some apps running on the old server (ACT & Quickbooks) that I'd like to keep on this machine. The documentation states 'If you want to repurpose the Source Server, the simplest way is to reformat and install a new operating system'. What's the hard way? In other words, is there a way to get the machine back in a healthy state without installing a new operating system or reformatting the hard drive so I can use it to run these apps? SBS 2003 can't be used as a demo...

Hello Experts ! Problem in inserting items in one CListCtrl based on another CLisTCtrl
Hello Experts and ALiR, I have 2 ClistCtrls and both are sublassed CMyListCtrlOne and CMyListCtrlTwo. In the CFromView ,I am initilaizing the column ,width and also add items for CMyListCtrlOne and for the CMyListCtrlTwo I am I am initilaizing the column ,width only. and When I click any item related to CMyListCtrlOne ,in the OnClcik handler I get the row and data. Now I want to add this data in the second list CMyListCtrlTwo Here is the code.....Tell me where I am going wrong. After running this app I get a debug assertion file name:afxcmn.inl line no:142 Thanks in advance Tom In C...

Looking for the largest install of GP
OK, it's time for you guys to brag....I'm looking for the company that's running the largest GP installation. Why? Well, we've reached the point where we can no longer dependably perform maintenance or upgrades over a weekend - it takes too long. I'm trying to find someone who has a large database (75GB or better) who has reasonable run times when doing "batch" processing - "reasonable" meaning there's enough time in a weekend day or days to get the jobs done. We have have what we thought was a pretty high powered, multiprocessor system, but ...

Moving to Money 2005
Do you know if the same procedure outlined in migrating from Money99 to Money04 will work in migrating from 99 to 05? Thanks, Yes I know. Yes it does. M05 does some different things--like mangling some pre-existing categories--but the procedure is the same. "Barry Livingston" <barrybmlv@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:OzFaYvH7EHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Do you know if the same procedure outlined in migrating from Money99 to > Money04 will work in migrating from 99 to 05? ...

Move an exchange 2003 to new server and licence problem
Hello, I need to move my exchange server 2003 SP1 (It's the first and single server) from a DC (owner of all fsmo) to a new member server under Windows 2003 SP1. - What are the best steps ? - I an another question about licence. I have only one standard licence for Exchange 2003. Can i use the same licence temporarily to move the server. ? is it possible .? my steps : - first, installing the new server 2003 SP1. - next, installing exchange on the new server and join the organisation. --> can i use the same licence ? - next, installing the SP2 on the new server exchange --> ...

Excel won't open Unicode CSV file from SQL Server
I have a CSV file created by Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio in Unicode (that's all it can do). The file is just some numbers, nothing fancy. But when I attempt to open the CSV file with Excel 2007, all the columns are thrown into the first column. I can manually import the CSV file, through the wizard, tediously navigating to the file, and specifying delimiters, but that's a pain to do over and over again. All I want to do is save a result set in SQL Server and open in in Excel. Is that too much to ask? Kevin kwdavids <kwdav...@gmail.com> wrote... >I have a CSV fil...

What is the advantage of using a "Chart Title" object over just another text box?
It kind of drives me nuts that I can't expand the box that the chart title is in, which is a trick I use sometimes to make sure text in a text box is centered precisely (center alignment, text box expanded horizontally to the width of the chart). Is it easier to access programatically, or where is the percentage here? Additionally, I note that while you can use nudge (and other drawing functions) on a text box, you cannot do this on a chart title. On Feb 23, 12:18 pm, "Taylor" <taylor.bry...@gmail.com> wrote: > It kind of drives me nuts that I can't expand the b...

Sending a rule to the Exchange Server
Recently, one of my users tried sending rules to the Exchange Server. The server responded with the following message: One or more rules could not be uploaded to the Exchange Server and have been deactivated. This could be because some of the parameters are not supported or there is insufficient space to store all of your rules. What must I do to remedy this? On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 09:29:02 -0700, "Carl Gross" <CarlGross@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Recently, one of my users tried sending rules to the Exchange Server. The >server responded with the following ...

SQL Server 2005 Failure
Hi Experts Few days back we faced an issue with Microsoft SQL Server 2005. The error message which I retrieved from Eventviewer at the time of SQL server failure is as follows – SQL Server detected a logical consistency-based I/O error: incorrect pageid (expected 1:932354; actual 22624:1041497854). It occurred during a read of page (1:932354) in database ID 2 at offset 0x000001c7404000 in file 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\DATA\tempdb.mdf'. Additional messages in the SQL Server error log or system event log may provide more detail. This ...

Server not cleaning up after send/receive completed
After the send/receive command finishes and messages are downloaded, the server is not cleaning up and so I keep receiving some of the same messages over and over again in addition to the new messages. Any suggestions? ...

calc locks up after running a macro that moves sheets to a new fil
My spreadsheet has a macro that creates a few worksheets of hard coded data, then moves these sheets into a new file. After I run this macro, however, my original workbook locks up (it will not recalculate, even if changes are made to the inputs). I know that it is the moving of the sheets that is somehow causing this to happen because I have tested the entire macro line by line and it is only after the code to move the sheets is run that this problem arises. This is the line of code I am referring to: Sheets(Array("Summary", "Details", "Entitlement"...

items won't move from outbox to sent items folder
When I send email...the email is sent but the items stay in the outbox folder and won't move to the sent item folder. I used the inbox repair and no errors were found. I think I have a corrupt pst file. How can I make a new pst file and import the old pst file without corrupting the new pst file. ...

Copy to filtered blank rows from another spreadsheet
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that it's filtered to show blanks items in column J, I want to copy into this column J data from another spreadsheet's Column J. is there an easy way to do? Basically, need to copy from spreadsheet 2 column J into the filtered blank rows in Spreadsheet 1 column J . Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you ...

The server does not expand distribute list and send it to users
Hi, I have Exchange 2003 and Blackberry Enterprise Server environment setup. However, Exchange 2003 will stop expanding distribution list and send it to users but I send to many individual and it will work fine. When you send to DL, it will not bounce back with non deliver instead of eating up. I checked eventlogs and no major/critical warnings. The only solution is reboot the server. Exchange 2003 server is using raid scsi drives, 8 gig memory with sp1. We have 150 users in our organization. I am curious if any one ran into similar situation of DL or environment setting. Any tips...

How do i correct a routing server failure problem in my email
Every time I try to send an e-mail with attatchments i recieve a delivery status notification saying, "The recipients of your message have been processed by the mail server etc, then "routing server failure." This only happens with one recipient, I have no problems with any other contacts. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers! On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 14:40:01 -1000, Rivermouse Tina <Rivermouse <Tina@discussions.microsoft.com>> wrote: > Every time I try to send an e-mail with attatchments i recieve a delivery > status notification saying, "The recipient...

Set Field Value Based on Entry in another field
Access 2003 and total noob here. Sorry - I can't seem to find anything that answers my question through searches here...maybe I'm too new so I don't recognize the solution when I see it. I have a form where users select their organization name from a menu. The menu is populated from a query against the organization table. The organization table has three columns (ID (pk), ORGNAME, ORGID). The ORGID is a two character acronym for the organization. I need to populate a hidden field on the form with the ORGID based on the selection made in the Org Name menu. How do...

windows small business server 2003R2
i am considering change MSDE to windows small business server 2003R2 to increase my data base capacity. will rms ver. 1.2 and 1.3 run on it. What are the issues . my operating system is xp. can anyone help? hi Dexter, There is no problem you can run on any OS RMS 1.2 and 1.3 I have been running this for many years. Akber "dexter" wrote: > i am considering change MSDE to windows small business server 2003R2 to > increase my data base capacity. will rms ver. 1.2 and 1.3 run on it. What are > the issues . my operating system is xp. > can anyone help? > Hi Akbe...

Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.UpdateDbVersionRegistryAction
Hi, at the time of the installation of ms CRM3.0 by using a base of existing data an error message is posted: failure of the Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.UpdateDbVersionRegistryAction action. Invalid attempt to read when no data is present. Thank you. ...

Cannot change Virtual SMTP server properties
I get a snap-in failed error when trying to access smtp virtual server properties in exchange 2003. The SMTP service is running as are all the exchange services. Mail seems to be going out and coming in just fine. I am at a loss to explain it. Any ideas? setup: Exchange 2003, Windows 2003, Symantec Anitvirus for exchange Any errors in event viewer that can give us an idea of what's going on? Have you installed Exchange 2003 SP1 yet? -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alia...

Transfering Accounts From One Machine to Another
I need to be able to transfer accounts defined in Outlook 2007 from my desktop to my laptop. There are over thirty accounts (please don't ask why) in one profile. How do I copy them between machines? I can find account information in the registry but am not sure at what level I need to export/import the data. There is more than account information beneath the \Profiles\profile name. Do I need to export/import all of it or should I just export the stuff under the \Profiles\profile name\9375CFF0413111d3B88A00104B2A6676 key? Vista's File and Settings Transfer Wizard should transfer ...

My Exchange server was being used as a relay!
Hello, Several weeks ago I posted to the group that Comcast was blocking our domain. I would fill out their form and an hour later they would unblock us but only to block us again in about a week or two. Their automated reply indicates that mail from our domain "has the pattern of spam." Well, I decided to do some checking. I went into my SMTP Virtural Server and found out that relaying was on! How could this happen? Was I hacked? There was actually an IP address of a workstation that was granted access to relay (192.168.1.90) Also, the option "Allow all com...

Server between Admin Groups
Can you move servers between Exchange 2003 Administrative Groups? Thanks If it is on mixed mode you cannot move mailboxes between servers on different administratives groups. You will need to raise to native mode >-----Original Message----- >Can you move servers between Exchange 2003 Administrative Groups? > >Thanks > > >. > If it is on mixed mode you cannot move mailboxes between servers on different administratives groups. You will need to raise to native mode >-----Original Message----- >Can you move servers between Exchange 2003 Administrative Group...

How to use a value from one worksheet into another?
Hello Guys: I use Office 2000, specifically Excel. I would like to know how to do the following: Say that I have an Excel spreadsheet with various pages of informatio all related. How can I use a value from one page on another page all don automatically every time the value is updated without having to do i manually? I guess what I am trying to say is how to import the value. did a search on the help section but could not come with anything. Any HELP would be appreciated -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi try the following: - select your target cell - enter the equati...

Restoring Exchange Server 2000 with SP1
hi everybody, I have difficulty in restoring an Exchange server 2000 wtth SP1. The recovery process using eseutil /cc Ended with the following error Error returned from an ESE function call (-1811). Operation terminated with error -107 (JET_errInternalError, Fatal internal error) after 0.110 seconds. Any Suggestions on this will be appreiciated. Thanx for ur time. regards deena. Hi Take a look at the following two Microsoft KB articles: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/266689/ http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;810199 Are you running a cluster? if so look at the firs...

"Mirror" drawing in one sheet in another
I want to make a drawing in one sheet in exel and then get the drawings and drawings changes automatically upteded in another sheet. (like a mirror of the original drawing. More exactly I would like to do the same thing with a drawing as I do with a graph. Changes are done one place and showed different other places in the same workbook Hi AFAIK not possible. There's no event which indicates a changed drawing -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Hallgeir Oya" <Hallgeir.Oya@Hydro.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:0b2101c4a16b$979fa050$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I w...