Move/Migrate 7.5 To New machine

I'm a sysadmin spearheading the migration/move of a GP 7.5 installation
to a new Win2K server (SQL Server 2000, of course). Right now we do not
have a GP consultant to help us with this. I would like some
tips/experiences of others who have done this. Do you really need a
consultant to help. (And if you are a GP consultant, please tell me why
we need you!)

We also have two allied apps to move: Xpede and WorkforceROI. Any
experiences you might having moving/replicating these apps along with
GP would be helpful. Many thanks!

Rich

0
lichvarr (1)

I just did this migration a week ago.

First, there is a techknowledge that walks you through each step and
includes the necessary SQL queries to capture and apply user information.

Second, you can also use the SQL Server copy database wizard if you are
familiar with its usage.

As for usage of a GP consultant, it is a good practice to look at each step
of the knowledgebase article and determine your comfort level.

You also need to be aware of shared reports and forms dictionaries that may
be on the old server. You can look in each user's dynamics.set file to
determine where their dictionaries are located.

Lastly, don't forget about migrating FRx reports and any other third-party
applications to the new server, if applicable.

"lichvarr@teoco.com" wrote:

> I'm a sysadmin spearheading the migration/move of a GP 7.5 installation
> to a new Win2K server (SQL Server 2000, of course). Right now we do not
> have a GP consultant to help us with this. I would like some
> tips/experiences of others who have done this. Do you really need a
> consultant to help. (And if you are a GP consultant, please tell me why
> we need you!)
>
> We also have two allied apps to move: Xpede and WorkforceROI. Any
> experiences you might having moving/replicating these apps along with
> GP would be helpful. Many thanks!
>
> Rich

0
CharlesAllen (483)
8/20/2005 10:17:02 PM
I am doing a migration to a new machine as well (7.5).  Where can I find this
step by step document describing the migration process?

Thanks.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> I just did this migration a week ago.
>
> First, there is a techknowledge that walks you through each step and
> includes the necessary SQL queries to capture and apply user information.
>
> Second, you can also use the SQL Server copy database wizard if you are
> familiar with its usage.
>
> As for usage of a GP consultant, it is a good practice to look at each step
> of the knowledgebase article and determine your comfort level.
>
> You also need to be aware of shared reports and forms dictionaries that may
> be on the old server. You can look in each user's dynamics.set file to
> determine where their dictionaries are located.
>
> Lastly, don't forget about migrating FRx reports and any other third-party
> applications to the new server, if applicable.
>
> "lichvarr@teoco.com" wrote:
>
> > I'm a sysadmin spearheading the migration/move of a GP 7.5 installation
> > to a new Win2K server (SQL Server 2000, of course). Right now we do not
> > have a GP consultant to help us with this. I would like some
> > tips/experiences of others who have done this. Do you really need a
> > consultant to help. (And if you are a GP consultant, please tell me why
> > we need you!)
> >
> > We also have two allied apps to move: Xpede and WorkforceROI. Any
> > experiences you might having moving/replicating these apps along with
> > GP would be helpful. Many thanks!
> >
> > Rich

The knowledgebase in CustomerSource/PartnerSource.

"Brian van Doren" wrote:

> I am doing a migration to a new machine as well (7.5).  Where can I find this
> step by step document describing the migration process?
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > I just did this migration a week ago.
> >
> > First, there is a techknowledge that walks you through each step and
> > includes the necessary SQL queries to capture and apply user information.
> >
> > Second, you can also use the SQL Server copy database wizard if you are
> > familiar with its usage.
> >
> > As for usage of a GP consultant, it is a good practice to look at each step
> > of the knowledgebase article and determine your comfort level.
> >
> > You also need to be aware of shared reports and forms dictionaries that may
> > be on the old server. You can look in each user's dynamics.set file to
> > determine where their dictionaries are located.
> >
> > Lastly, don't forget about migrating FRx reports and any other third-party
> > applications to the new server, if applicable.
> >
> > "lichvarr@teoco.com" wrote:
> >
> > > I'm a sysadmin spearheading the migration/move of a GP 7.5 installation
> > > to a new Win2K server (SQL Server 2000, of course). Right now we do not
> > > have a GP consultant to help us with this. I would like some
> > > tips/experiences of others who have done this. Do you really need a
> > > consultant to help. (And if you are a GP consultant, please tell me why
> > > we need you!)
> > >
> > > We also have two allied apps to move: Xpede and WorkforceROI. Any
> > > experiences you might having moving/replicating these apps along with
> > > GP would be helpful. Many thanks!
> > >
> > > Rich

0
CharlesAllen (483)

Act! to CRM Migration
Well it is appearant to me now that the CRM Data Migration Framework is a giant hunk of poo. It not only doesn't work but it frustrates you while enot working. Can anyone suggest a CRM datamigration tool or method that doesn't cost more than $500. My client bought CRM under the OpenValue plan and it is costing more then they EVER spent on Act! to migrate the data that the whitepaper said would migrate easily. -- - I am Johnny here is the solution you need http://www.scribesoft.com/ its more than 500 dollars though but worth it if you dont want to mess with the DMF -- John...

Moving Data from Template
I have created an excel template to collect data during a quarter. I would like the data to populate another excel spreadsheet. What is the easiest way to accomplish this? So far, I have set the collecting spreadsheet in worksheet 2 of the template so I don't have to deal with the template name increasing by 1 each time it is opened. I also have a counter in the template being manually incremented by 1 each time it is used. I had thought about using "if templatecount=1 then cell(row 1) =templatecell, else "" ".....with a paste special type macro at end to rep...

Drop down boxes #5
Could someone assist me with adding drop downs to my spreadsheet? How d I do it ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com ntrain - See my post "Default Values" the spreadsheet there has dro down boxes on it. Download the spreadsheet and you will be able to se what I did. Basically for each box I created a lsit onthe second sheet Then When I right Click on the box I got to format control, from ther I can control the cells to be browsed for the values. Good...

cannot see user in GAL with 5.5 server
We recreated a user's mailbox due to mailbox corruption and her mailbox resides on an exchange 2003 server. I still have the AD Connector in place as well to talk with the exchange 5.5 server. I can view the user in system manager but not in the receipient list in Exchange 5.5 Admin tool. I already forced the RUS to replicate. I also replicated the AD connector config and all the domain controllers. Is there any other way to get my user to show in the GAL? Any help would be appreciated! -- leachkm ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http:...

Schema-root public folder -migrating between exchange 2003 servers
Hi I'm migrating from an older 2003 server to a newer one (running concurrently). I read through the microsoft document on removing the first exchange server and setup replica's on the new server. One of the folders is the schema-root. Now I'm seeing two entries for the schema-root on both servers. One is the replicated one from the first server, the other I assume is from the new server. Both are replicated to each server. I'm beginning to think that I shouldn't have replicated the schema-root folder from the first server. Any idea if that is right? If I stop the...

concatenat new line
Folks, I am trying to concatenate several fields into a single text typ field. for example Notes: 4/25 This happened 4/26 That happened 4/27 And now this. When concatenated they appear like this: 4/26 This happened 4/26 That happened 4/27 And now this. I want it to look like this... 4/25 This happened 4/26 That happened 4/27 And now this. How? The vbnewline won't work and neither does chr(10 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =a1&char(10)&a2&char(10)&a3 Remember to use format|cells|alignment tab to turn wrap text on. "oafum <" wrote...

Mailbox move failed can't accessmailbox now
Ran out of disk space during a move from 5.5 to 2003 and now can't login to mailbox. Mailbox is there and looks fine. Get this error when I try to move it again "The MAPI call 'OpenMsgStore' failed with the following error" Also can't log in to it from outlook. Seems like something didn't get updated when the target server crashed. Any ideas? thanks! See if this applies: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299473/en-us -- Ed Crowley MVP - Exchange "Protecting the world from PSTs and brick backups!" "bk" <jhogan@bizank.com> wrote...

New User has admin rights

5.5 to 2003 upgrade ?'s
Currently have: - One Exchange 5.5 server in a single Win2k3 AD domain (1 DC). - 35 users total. - Mailboxes vary from 20 MB - 2 GB (ave: 500 MB). - Sybari/MS Antigen 7.6 Moving to: - One Exchange 2003 Server Server I'm aiming to procure... Dell PowerEdge SC1425 dual Xeon 2.8s with 2 GB RAM. Will 2 x 80 GB SATA drives suffice (no RAID)? Or will need to go with SCSI? Or SCSI and some flavor of RAID (for performance and/or redundancy)? I assume it's still possible to split logs and database on different drives with 2003? I'm looking to get two years use from th...

PowerEdit
Dear all, I would like to let you know I have added another freeware Excel add-in called 'PowerEdit' to my website . Information about this add-in and a download link is available from: http://www.johnmote.com/poweredit.htm Many thanks, John -------- an abstract of the add-in functionality from the website is included below for your convenience -------- Overview of PowerEdit functionality What is PowerEdit? PowerEdit is an add-in for Microsoft Excel that provides additional copy and paste functionality Excel. The additional functionality includes: =B7 Exact formula copies...

ms outlook express 5.0
I can receive messeges but can not send any !!!!! Please let me know what is wrong with my outlook express .... if anybody knows ???? Sounds like you don't have your SMTP server settings configured correctly. You should contact your ISP and confirm the settings. This newsgroup is for support of Outlook 97, 98, 2000, 2002 & 2003 from the Office family for Intel PCs. For Outlook Express (OE) support try posting in one of these newsgroups: microsoft.public.inetexplorer.ie4.outlookexpress for OE 4.x microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie5.outlookexpress for OE 5.x microsoft.public.wi...

Money 2005 Update #5
How do I stop the "Update now" screen from popping up everytime I start MSM2005. I do not use the online banking function it wants me to upgrade to and have no interest in it. I am running Windows XP. Thanks Bill ...

Auto Forwarding
Hello: We are running Exchange Server 5.5 and over the last two weeks are rules have failed. They are server-based rules. One of these rules is the auto-forwarding of email. You select what people from the GAL or external email addresses you want forwarded out to another offsite email address. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Our bridgehead server administrators have checked the do not autoforward email but these are on separate servers from our information store and directory databases (naturally). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Steve K. ...

Column Labels #5
I have a coworker who changed the column labels from letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Does anyone know how to change them back to letters. The columns are numbered in all of the worksheets that she opens. Stephanie tools>options>general>settings>ric1 uncheck -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stephanie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d7701c52341$aceff2e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a coworker who changed the column labels from > letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Do...

Migrating to GP V 9.0
Hi, We are contemplating upgrading from GP 6.0 to GP 9.0 and the document would be very handy. Could you please send me the replication doc and the DTS scripts. My email is jacob.raymond@dynamics.ae -- J Raymond I suggest you follow the natural upgrade path that comes with each version starting with GP 6. I assume you are in SQL backend on 6. Doing this way would make your upgrade smooth and clean. So from GP 6, Install GP 7 and use the GP utilities to upgrade your database to GP 7. Do the same for the succeeding versions. I suggest this path: 6 -> 7 -> 7.5 -> 8 -> 9...

look up #5
I had a job interview today and was given a spreadsheet (both on a laptop and in written form). I had to analyse the information, detailing the most common occurences, ie best seller etc... If i have a column of different products, is there a way I can list them in order of the one with the most entries, ie the one which appears the most in the column. Also what is the formula to work out how many times something appears? So for example, I want to find out how many times the word 'banana' appears in a range in a column. Hi Neil not sure about your first question but as to the se...

Exch5.5 CHKDS.EXE required #2
Does anybody know where I can get hold of DSCHK.EXE for Exchange 5.5? I need resolve some orphaned objects in our DS so I can prepare for our upgrade. Microsoft no longer offer this fix. -- John Thurgood ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Posted via http://www.webservertalk.com ------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message1057916.html ...

Moving a database location
In Exchange 2000 my database is closing in on my hard drive's capacity. How do I move the database to a larger drive, on the same server, and still have the mailbox databases load properly? robert <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >In Exchange 2000 my database is closing in on my hard drive's capacity. How do I move the database to a larger drive, on the same server, and still have the mailbox databases load properly? Use the property page of the database (in the Exchange System Manager) and select a new location for the file. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange...

Installing Compact .Net 3.5
Hello, I have WinCE 6.0 R2, and am currently installing C.Net 2.0. How do I get platform builder to include Compact .Net 3.5? I don't see any Catalog entries for 3.5, just for 2.0. Thanks! --- Jeremy On 4 Mar, 20:38, "jking" <jking...@comcast.net> wrote: > Hello, > > I have WinCE 6.0 R2, and am currently installing C.Net 2.0. How do I get > platform builder to include Compact .Net 3.5? I don't see any Catalog > entries for 3.5, just for 2.0. > > Thanks! > --- > Jeremy I'm working on WinCE 6.0 R3 and I find both ...

Outgoing email #5
I received an MPEG file and attempted to forward it to others but my Outlook 2003 won't let the attachment get out. Could you direct me to a setting that will allow this? Thanks, jcs Tools, Options, Settings... "Craig" <jcstone1@comcast.net> wrote in message news:m4KdneHaEcLJJsDcRVn-qQ@comcast.com... >I received an MPEG file and attempted to forward it to others but my >Outlook > 2003 won't let the attachment get out. Could you direct me to a setting > that > will allow this? > > Thanks, > > jcs > > ...

Exchange 5.5 to Exchange Server 2003
I've looked through quite a few posts here, read a lot of things and still I am not 100% of the best way to go about this scenario. One EX 5.5 server at SP3 on W2K SP3, single AD domain in the forest. Whats the best method to get from this to Exchange Server 2003 on Windows Server 2003? Is is to install Exchange Server 2003 on the Windows Server 2003 box, create a new Exchange Server 2003 organization and then use the Migration Wizard? Or is it soemthing else? TIA I would recommend this procedure, http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating_Exchange_5_5_to_2003.html -- John Ol...

Confirming KB818709 OL2K3 and Exchange5.5
Hi We are having a problem with OWA falling over with ASP0115 errors. We have NT4sp6 and exchange5.5 sp4. I'm lookng at KB818709 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=818709 We have had some users upgrade to OL2K3. How can I be sure that this is the issue? I have no 2078 events but this appears to apply to third party apps only. Restarting the inetinfo service seems to bring OWA back up. Help! Cheers Mike "Mike Varley" <mike@notdisclosed!!.com> wrote in news:#ANS42J8DHA.1716@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl: > We are having a problem with OWA falling over with AS...

Outlook Attachments #5
When I open my e-mail messages in Outlook, I would like my attachments to appear in the body of the e-mail message so that they are easier to save. Is there an option somewhere that will allow this to happen? Right now my attachments appear in the e-mail header under the subject line. Any help is greatly appreciated. You cannot control this a the option is set by the sender "Jeff" <jeff@pacificedgesales.com> wrote in message news:059801c366b3$58b434d0$a601280a@phx.gbl... > When I open my e-mail messages in Outlook, I would like > my attachments to appear in t...

an email is stuck in my inbox
I was sent an email from a fellow co-worker that was simply asking me to call someone. I cannot delete this email or move it to another folder. I get "Unknown Error" when trying to delete. I would like to delete this email but I do not know how as I have tried all the normal ways already. One thing that helps us when we have a situation like this is to "sneak up on it." Select the mesage above it, hold down control, and click on the message following it. Now you can hit Delete on your keyboard. I hope this works for you! >-----Original Message----- >I w...

New To Pivot Table
I have the following sales data: dept, category, description, Qty sold, sold price, total sale, date sold, cost,profit,prfit margin. the following is an example: beer 12 pks,miller lite, 2, 7.99, 15.98, 7/1/05, 13.98, 2, 14% The 12 pks represents the ctegory, miller lite represents the description, and soforth. I have about 15 different departments, I would like to setup a pivot table to track and compare the data per week, month, quarters and year, for example: total sales, profit, cost, profit margin for the first week on july for each department compared with the same da...