Move GP 8 to Windows SBS 2003

I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to move
it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there any
licensing issues I need to know about?

I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I don't
have maintenance, either.

I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this possible?

When did Microsoft release SQL 2003??

SBS 2003 comes with SQL 2000!

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Just Guessing" wrote:

> I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to move
> it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
> server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there any
> licensing issues I need to know about?
>
> I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I don't
> have maintenance, either.
>
> I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this possible?
0
info4071 (3004)
6/9/2007 1:29:01 PM
My mistake.  SBS 2003 R2 Premium comes with SQL 2005!

I only have two users, would it make more sense to install MSDE?

"Richard L. Whaley" wrote:

> When did Microsoft release SQL 2003??
>
> SBS 2003 comes with SQL 2000!
>
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Just Guessing" wrote:
>
> > I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to move
> > it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
> > server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there any
> > licensing issues I need to know about?
> >
> > I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I don't
> > have maintenance, either.
> >
> > I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this possible?
Actually, SBS 2003 R2 comes with SQL 2005!

I only have two or three users - should I install MSDE instead?

"Just Guessing" wrote:

> I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to move
> it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
> server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there any
> licensing issues I need to know about?
>
> I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I don't
> have maintenance, either.
>
> I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this possible?
There are no issues in moving to SQL Server 2005. SBS R2 comes with Workgroup
edition which is more than enough to run a couple of concurrent GP users. Be
sure to read the SQL documentation for the migration and run a test setup
before going live.

-Mike

--
Micheal LoPatriello
Coordinator,

"Just Guessing" wrote:

> Actually, SBS 2003 R2 comes with SQL 2005!
>
> I only have two or three users - should I install MSDE instead?
>
> "Just Guessing" wrote:
>
> > I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to move
> > it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
> > server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there any
> > licensing issues I need to know about?
> >
> > I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I don't
> > have maintenance, either.
> >
> > I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this possible?
0
mlopat (88)
6/9/2007 9:37:01 PM
Just to clarify:
SBS 2003 R2 Standard comes with no SQL Server.
SBS 2003 R2 Premium comes with SQL Server 2005.

You must be on at least SP 4 of GP 8.0 to be able to run it on SQL Server
2005.

MSDE limits the number of concurrent operations SQL can perform (if I recall
correctly it's 5), as well as the size of each database to a max of 2GB.  If
neither is an issue, then MSDE may be a good option, especially if you have
SBS 2003 Standard or are not on SP 4 or higher of GP 8.0.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Just Guessing" <JustGuessing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Actually, SBS 2003 R2 comes with SQL 2005!
>
> I only have two or three users - should I install MSDE instead?
>
> "Just Guessing" wrote:
>
>> I have Microsoft Great Plains 8.0 on a Windows 2000 server.  I want to
>> move
>> it to a new Windows SBS 2003 R2 Premium server.  Will it work on the new
>> server with the version of SQL that comes with it (SQL 2003)?  Are there
>> any
>> licensing issues I need to know about?
>>
>> I don't want to spend the money to update my Great Plains software.  I
>> don't
>> have maintenance, either.
>>
>> I want to simply move the installation to the new server.  Is this
>> possible?

0
victoria (3340)

Outlook 2003: reply to all doesn't include self
I just installed Outlook 2003 (love it so far) but when I reply to all, my own address doesn't appear in the TO:, CC: or BC: fields -- and I want it to. In my old Outlook (2000 version) my address was included automatically (assuming it was in the original message I'm replying to) and in installing Outlook 2003 I migrated all my settings, so I don't know why it changed. More perplexingly, I can't figure out how to accomplish this. In sum: When I receive a multi-recipient email and reply to all, how do I rig Outlook 2003 so that my own address is automatically incl...

Outlook 2003 message store limits?
Getting message store has exceeded limits within Outlook 2003. The information store is still getting email, as checking it with webmail or Outlook 2000 works just fine. Does anyone know where or how to change the defaults message store on the Outlook 2003 client As far as i'm aware - there's no client-side settings of this type in Outlook. Are you running on an Exchange server? There are message store limits within Exchange. But you say you have no problem with Outlook 2000 or webmail, implying you just use Outlook as a Internet Mail client? Bobby >-----Origina...

Outlook 2003 won't receive email
When I try to send mail in Outlook 2003, I get a dialog box saying "The operation failed. An object could not be found." I want to make Outlook 2003 the default emailer but can't receive email! -- davidx Have you tried closing Outlook and deleting the <profile_name>.SRS file? (This is going to delete all Send/Receive settings. You will have to reconfigure any special settings you had.) Another option might be to create a new mail profile via the mail applet in the control panel. (Don't copy the existing profile. Make a new one and switch to it to see if ...

Connecting to boxes moved from 5.5 to 2003
I have a small organization, with about 60 clients and I'm working on an AD converison. I worked with a consultant to setup a new AD domain with the requisite trust with my old NT domain and the ADC. I have no problem moving test boxes over to the AD/Exchange03 machine, but I am not certain what the next steps in the process for accessing the moved boxes should be. I though I could simply "enable" the moved accounts I see in AD Users and Computers, but even after resetting pw's and enableing the acct, I am immediately challenged with a bad pw/username error when I atte...

Outlook 2003 HTML formatting problem
After upgrading clients to Outlook 2003 we've started to experience a strange problem with emails formatted in HTML. The scenario goes like this. 1. A local user creates an HTML formatted email and sends it to an external recipient. 2. The external recipient replies to the original message. 3. Originator replies to the reply 4. The external recipient receives the HTML formatted email with portions of the text grossly enlarged. 5. Upon review, it would appear that the external HTML client dropped a (.) changing the font size from 10.0 to 100 causing the enlarged text. Editing the HT...

IE settings from Outlook 2003...
Hi I am trying to get the language information from Internet Explorer When i load this webside inside of Outlook, I can't get the HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE property If I load it from Internet Explore, outside Outlook, the property is ok Below is the asp code <META HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" CONTENT="5; "> <% Response.CacheControl = "no-cache" Response.Expires = -1 Response.Write(Now()) Response.Write("<BR>") TheLanguage = Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE") TheLanguages = Split (TheLanguage, ",") Numberoflangua...

2003 Excel Macros Run Slowly
I upgraded to Office 2003 and have a macro in one of my spreadsheets. When I execute this macro it runs very, very slowly i.e. mulitple minutes vs 2 sec on Office 2000. Is there anything I should be doing to improve the speed? Regards, Ed Close excel, clean up your windows temp folder. set calculation to manual, run your code, reset it to what it was. Turn screenupdating off when you start and on when you finish. turn the display of pagebreaks off when you start. Lots of my macros have this at the top: Dim CalcMode As Long CalcMode = Application.Calculation Applicatio...

Requeriment to client for GP 8.0
Hi, I really aprecciate if anyone can tell me what are the process that run in a client for GP8.0? thanks, -- Evelin. Evelin, Client minimum requirements for GP 8.0 are on page 18 of the Installation Instructions manual - is this what you're asking? Not sure what you mean by 'what are the process that run'....? -- Victoria Yudin Microsoft MVP - Great Plains "Ana Evelin Rosa" <anar@segacorp.com> wrote in message news:6CBB0050-5F13-4A50-BFE6-D664B2A250EC@microsoft.com... > Hi, > > I really aprecciate if anyone can tell me what are the process t...

How to remove the Outlook 2003 system tray icon
Hi, Somebody please tell me that there is an option to remove the rather redundant icon Outlook 2003 places in the system tray area! I've been through the options many times but can't seem to find any way of getting rid of it. Thanks muchly Paul You can't get rid of it. You can however hide it. Just right click the Task Bar. Choose Properties. Choose Customize. You can set the Outlook Icon to always hide (in Windows XP only). -- Patricia Cardoza Outlook MVP www.cardozasolutions.com Author, Special Edition Using Microsoft Outlook 2003 ***Please post all replies to the new...

Quirky Reply and Forward behavior
I'm receiving email from an AOL user that likes to sprinkle her messages with those little smiley faces. The source looks like this; src="http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fd0/04"></DIV></FONT></BODY></HTML> When I attempt to reply or forward the email, Outlook hourglasses for about a minute before the reply or forward dialog comes up (less the smiley). This does not happen on messages without the smiley. Is this behavior because the AOL server isn't coughing up the image within a respectable amount of time? Is there a setting in Outlook th...

Neswreader in Outlook 2003...
Hello, I am trying to enable the newsgroup reader in Outlook 2003 but I having difficulty. I am running WinXP Pro with service pack 2 installed. I've also installed all required updates for WinXP Pro and Office 2003. I've read the following from Microsoft Office Outlook help: The first time you use the newsreader, you must add the News command to the Go menu. 1.. Add the News command to the Go menu. How? 1.. On the Standard toolbar (toolbar: A bar with buttons and options that you use to carry out commands. To display a toolbar, press ALT and then SHIFT+F10.), click the To...

Exchange 2003 and DC
I've just inherited a network setup where the DC and the Exchange 2003 is on the same box. I've built another box as an additional DC. I want to run dcpromo on the exchange server and make it a member server only. Are there any ramifications in doing this and how do I install the exchange connector on the new DC? TIA, Dylan Taylor Changing the role after Exchange 2003 has been installed is not actually supported. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822179 -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links, and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Dylan T...

Can not right click items in Outlook 2003 #2
Hello, Has anyone come across a problem in Outlook 2003 11.6359.6360 SP1 where you can not right click items and get the quick menu items? So for example, if I right click a mail message nothing comes up, versus the reply, mark as read, etc items. Thanks Much Lots of people are reporting it, but we don't have a fix yet. Are you using a script blocker? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for Windows (Visual QuickStart Guide) Author, Google and Other Search Engines (Visual QuickStart Guide) Outlook Tips: http://ww...

=?Utf-8?Q?T=C3=89L=C3=89CHARGEMENT_GRATUIT_ANTIVIRUS?= =?Utf-8?Q?_6088?=
Nombreux problèmes de performance et la sécurité de votre ordinateur sont causées par des virus malveillants, le meilleur moyen de lutter contre cela est d'avoir reconnu Antivirus installé et mis à jour sur votre ordinateur Antivirus télécharger gratuitement à l'adresse: http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/ Des liens de site de contenu web: http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/ http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/2010/02/quest-ce-quun-antivirus.html http://antivirusfr.blogspot.com/2010/02/antivirus-gratuit-en-telechargement.html http://antivi...

Upgrading from GP 9 to GP 10

SQL Reporting Services and GP Users
I need to create a subscription-based report using SQL reporting services that will notify a select group via e-mail whenever one of our GP users doesn't logout by a given time each day. With that in mind, does anyone know exactly which tables I need to set as my data sources? The obvious answer would be the ACTIVITY table in DYNAMICS but logins can get stranded there if an abnormal client machine shutdown occurs. You might try sysprocesses in master. Ta, M. "cgbama91" <cgbama91@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B65BD9F5-6126-4B91-924D-A0F4FC97C70F...

Move the RUS?
Hi, I have buld and deployed a new Exchcange 2K3 cluster and moved all mailboxes and PF's and now it's time to move the RUS (I think that's the next logical step). Is it as simple as it appears? Are there any gotcha's I should watch for? Any fallout that may result from the move? Thanks, Dan On Fri, 15 Jul 2005 11:59:02 -0700, Dan <Dan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > I have buld and deployed a new Exchcange 2K3 cluster and moved all >mailboxes and PF's and now it's time to move the RUS (I think that's the next >logical step)...

Malbox Move
I moved a mailbox to different Exch Svr in same Org/Admin (both Exchsrvr 2003 sp2 but different AD sites/same domain). When I go to the original site and recreate her Outlook profile to point to the new server, it just hangs. OWA works fine. Can a GC not be seeing the move...? Can I use ASDIEdit to see this...? If so, where...? Thanks for any advise...! Tom... When creating her profile, try entering both your local GC and their local GC for the exchange server name. Usually this relates to replication latency, you may just have to end up waiting a bit. James Chong (MVP) MCSE | M+...

Exchange 2003 Load balance and cluster
We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? Oh yah. I guess my question is that if it is possible to run the laod balance and the cluster on the same two servers "Ashu" wrote: > We have two identical machines that we want to load balance and cluster for > exchange 2003. the load balance does not want to start. any reason why? No,does not support NLB and cluster on same machine! You should rub cluster with your exchange 2003! -- Jammyù�ٴ� "Ashu" &l...

"Move Message" Rule not working fully
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C83F07.B735DAA0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have created a rule that moves email messages that I receive with = certain criteria. This is the description of the rule as seen in the = Rules Wizard dialogue box: Apply this rule after the message arrives with '@usengineering.com' or '@psicontractors.com' in the sender's = address move it to the USEngineering folder The problem? The rule is really just making a copy of each m...

Can I move an old user's email to a public folder?
I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our business. Is this possible? Thank you in advance. Frank On Thu, 8 Jun 2006 07:47:02 -0700, Zach <zach@news.postalias> wrote: >I am running Exchange 2000 and would like to move some ex-employees emails to >a public folder accessed by a select few. The employee's account is >disabled, but his email is still active because of the nature of our >bu...

Change 'Active' Window?
I would like to change the 'active' window (from the Access DB to another application). I have Dynamics GP open and am currently using an Access DB. I would like to change the active window to GP and run a macro (if possible). Would I do this with a shell command? Any help that you can provide is welcome. Thanks. G ...

Trouble with contacts backup using Windows Mobile Device Center.
(Also posted in old thread relating to the subject) Hi, I joined the forum specifically for this problem and this is my first post. I'm just going to spare you all the introductory bs and get down to my concerns. And I didn't bother reading past the first page of this thread even though it is apparently like four years old and a solution has probably already been found. Forgive me, but I'm really frustrated because I'm pretty good with computers and I've been at a standstill trying to fix this for about 5 hours now. I'm running Windows Vista Home Editi...

Reduced Functionality Mode
I have Adobe InDesign but occasionally get Publisher files that someone wants me to look at or suggest changes. If I get the trial software, when it reverts to the "reduced functionality mode", will I still be able to open existing Publisher files? Will I be able to save to other formats without editing? Thanks for you help. Basically you won't be able to do much of anything once the trial period is over. In reduced-functionality mode, programs function similarly to a viewer. When a program is running in reduced-functionality mode, many menu items are unavailable (dimmed),...

Warning 1025 on exchange 2003 enterprise server
Hi Just today I saw a warning showing up in application log of my exchange server. I have exchange 2003 enterprise server with sp1. It is running on a dual processor server with storage connected to it. Since the upgrade from 5.5 (a month back) everything has been going very smooth. I tried to find a solution for this warning on Microsoft KB and eventid.net but cannot find the real cause/solution for 2003 exchange as all those Kbs are for 2000 or 5.5 exchange. The error exactly looks like this: Source: MSExchnageIS mailbox, Type: warning, category: general, eventid: 1025 An error occurred on...