Migrating 3 GB Database to SQL Server Express

Here is an interesting situation.  We need to migrate a customer from GP 7.5
on Pervasive to GP 9 on SQL Server 2005 Express.

They have a number of 1 GB databases.  No problem there.  However they have
an old database of 3.2 GB which has historical information.

We need to move them to GP 7.5 on SQL Server 2000 before upgrading to GP 9.0
on SQL Server 2005.  The historical database is larger than MSDE's 2 GB
database limit.

Is it possible to migrate them to SQL Server 2000 Standard, upgrade to
version 9 and then copy the databases from SQL Server Standard  to SQL
Server Express 2005?

I don't know if a SQL Server 2000 Standard database can be copied to SQL
Server 2005 Express.  I haven't seen any documentation addressing this.

0
news_jamrock (304)

Hey Jamrock

I have to concerns:

1) It is my inderstanding that only MDSE can be migrated/upgraded to SQL
express

2) If the company DB is 3 gig then i would want to tell the customer they
really need to look at SQL standard anyway as there is only a 4gig db limit
on SQL express.

I ould look at upgtradign them to SQL 2005 Standard from MSDE.

Fliehigh

"Jamrock" wrote:

> Here is an interesting situation.  We need to migrate a customer from GP 7.5
> on Pervasive to GP 9 on SQL Server 2005 Express.
>
> They have a number of 1 GB databases.  No problem there.  However they have
> an old database of 3.2 GB which has historical information.
>
> We need to move them to GP 7.5 on SQL Server 2000 before upgrading to GP 9.0
> on SQL Server 2005.  The historical database is larger than MSDE's 2 GB
> database limit.
>
> Is it possible to migrate them to SQL Server 2000 Standard, upgrade to
> version 9 and then copy the databases from SQL Server Standard  to SQL
> Server Express 2005?
>
> I don't know if a SQL Server 2000 Standard database can be copied to SQL
> Server 2005 Express.  I haven't seen any documentation addressing this.

0
Fliehigh (443)

Migrating SBS2003 to SBS2008: DHCP
I read in the migration documentation that it is "preferred" that DHCP be used in the Sourse (2003) server so that during the migration it merely accepts the DHCP settings BUT you can uncheck the box to indicate that another device is being used as the DHCP server (i.e. Router). It also says that if there is another device being used as a DHCP server that during the migration that the device (i.e router DHCP) should be disabled. So, here is my question: I understand that the migration is "live" and that the users are still accessing the SBS2003 server whil...

MS Outlook 2000 #3
On the outlook today screen, the customize outlook today button does not work at all. How do I fix this. The following MSKB article provides the fix for this issue. OL2000: You Cannot Customize Outlook Today After You Install Critical Update 813489 for Internet Explorer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;820575 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:4f1901c3e468$f7ac1ed0$a601280a@phx.gbl, danny wrote: > On the outlook today ...

spam #3
How do I block SPAM emails that seem to be coming from my domain? If it is coming from your server, then make sure that relay is no allowed on your server ep3m ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted via http://www.webservertalk.co ----------------------------------------------------------------------- View this thread: http://www.webservertalk.com/message117690.htm XCON: How to Prevent Mail Relay in Exchange Server 5.5 SP1 or Later http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315687 Exchange 2000 and 2003 won't relay by default. H...

CRM 3.0 Error "HTTP 403 (forbidden)" to open Report
Hi, please help me!!! i am a system administrator but i've this problem: if i open some crm's report (for exemple Account Distribution) i'll have this error page: You are not authorized to view this page You might not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials you supplied. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please try to contact the Web site by using any e-mail address or phone number that may be listed on the www.crmcg.it home p...

SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 inplace upgrade
Hi, I saw the "Upgrading Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 to Use a Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Database" white paper which discusses 2 scenarios...mine is even simpler...I have CRM, SQL and Reporting services all on the same Box... Has anybody run into any issues running an inplace upgrade for the SQL server 2000 & reporting services? I think it shouldnt cause any issues...but it would be nice if some body could share the experience... "S" wrote: > Hi, > > I saw the "Upgrading Microsoft Dynamics CRM 3.0 to Use a Microsoft SQL > Server 2005 Databas...

Microsoft Dynamics CRM Integration with IMail Server
Hi, I just want to ask if CRM can work with IMail Server. I believe that some ISVs already made an integration with Lotus Notes. How about for Imail? Any suggestion? Thank you. To the best of my knowledge, the answer is No. The Exchange connector is designed for "Exchange", but there are always some things you can do. But it will not work like Exchange. I just can't see the mail going into the queues without Exchange. "Agnes" wrote: > Hi, > > I just want to ask if CRM can work with IMail Server. I believe that some > ISVs already made an in...

sql request to return port number
Hello, I am looking a for request (probably on sys views or tables) that would return the port number on which sql server is listening to (default is 1433). Thanks for your help Hi You can find this info in ERROR.LOG file "Wilfrid" <grille11@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:4b03f777$0$19300$426a34cc@news.free.fr... > Hello, > > I am looking a for request (probably on sys views or tables) that would > return the port number on which sql server is listening to (default is > 1433). > > Thanks for your help > Hi, ...

Expression Builder
Is there a way with expression builder you can chnage the value of a field on a report? For example the two I would like to do are: 1. If field = 0 then make blank or null 2. if field = 's' then display "store" Thanks. On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:51:01 -0800, AJ <AJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is there a way with expression builder you can chnage the value of a field on >a report? For example the two I would like to do are: >1. If field = 0 then make blank or null >2. if field = 's' then display "store" > >Thanks. Sure. Use th...

Server Components
I have gotten CRM 1.2 installed - my problem now is that I have Salesmen that are all over the country that never connect to my domain - I have tried installing the client software on a test computer that is not connected to my domain. I am getting the following error Setup was unable to find an instance of the Microsoft CRM server components But I am able to hit the HTTP:// - I just can not get the client software to install - Please help Thanks, Kell kelly are these sales people members of any domain? in message news:DE5727A8-CF1A-4BFF-9EA5-517497C9E537@microsoft.com... > I have ...

Multiple Exchange servers on single domain, splitting users.
Hi Guys. We have an existing Exchange 2k3 site that is going through some expansion. We are looking at setting up a second system to allow access for affiliates to POP3 to. We woul like to keep the POP3 email addresses and internet access separate to the LAN users. However, they would all have email addresses at the same .com domain. Can we push certain user's mail to a 2nd Exchange server (via a LAN)? We are trying to separate the POP3 users and the lan users internet access, for bandwith reasons. Our idea is that all domain email comes into server A via Internet connection1. Lan user&...

Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '250 HELP', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 250, Error Number: 0x800CCC7D
I cant receive or send emails in windows mail. What do I have todo? Please copy and paste the error message into the body of your post . . . not the "Subject" line - it got truncated. "valeria migelson" <valemigelson@gmail.com> wrote in message news:eW$sk6#kKHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > I cant receive or send emails in windows mail. What do I have todo? Judging by the fragment of the error message you have in the subject = line, it looks like you have the wrong settings for Gmail. Use these: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answ...

how to build expression with conditins and totals
Ok... I have 3 tables (tbJOBS, tbDept1, tbDept1_DwnTime) and a query that returns: all the jobs ran on range of days ( criteria: between day1 and day2); the time it took to set up; the time it tooke to produce; and, the down time for each job. I was asked to seperate the SetUp's DownTime from Production's DownTime so I added a check box on the "tbDept1_DwnTime" table. Now, my boss can tell if the down time belongs to the setup time or the production time. This works fine. Now, I'm being asked to have the report (query), automatically substract the dow...

SQL Help Please!! :)
select item.itemlookupcode, item.description, quantitydiscount.description AS Discount_Description from item, quantitydiscount where item.quantitydiscountid = quantitydiscount.id and item.quantitydiscountid <> 0 The select query above returns item lookup code, description, and the quantity discount descritiption and lets me see every item in my DB which is assigned to a promotion. Can anyone help me by adding the item price, department and supplier name to the query so i can see those details? Thanks very much! Hi Philip...extend the select query the following way select item....

Get SQL Business Alerts to work with Manufacturing Tables
I was surprised during recent project that SQL Business Alerts did not work with any manufacturing tables. In our situation we wanted ECN's (from Engineering Change Module) to work with SQL Business Alerts so that users would know a new ECN had been created. The inconsistently in our (Microsoft Great Plains) product is still an issue. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this ...

when trying to send emails outlook says server not recognized
when trying to send emails through Outlook there is an error message that says server not recognized. Has sending ever worked with that account/machine? Have you verified the SMTP (outgoing mail) server name? "Ron O" <Ron O@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A31B6388-DE5F-45CA-B23D-A87449234168@microsoft.com... > when trying to send emails through Outlook there is an error message that > says server not recognized. ...

Zeros #3
How can I preserve leading zeros in a cell? I'm entering equipment serial numbers in cells, but any leading zeros are not displayed. I do have the Zero Values box checked in Options. Thanks in advance. -Hank -- Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com You can preformat the cell as Text (format|cells|Number tab|Text) or you can start the entry with an apostrophe: '001234 or you could give the cell a custom format that will show as many digits as you want: Format|cells|number tab|custom category 00000 (I used 5 digits) ==== Ps. Remove that check mark ...

Outlook and Exchange server #2
I would like to setup outlook so that all six people in our company can share contacts and their calendar, I've been told I need an exchange server so I tracked down a provider that has one but now what? How do I setup outlook to share this information? We are using several different versions of outlook and office, is any one better than another? --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.507 / Virus Database: 304 - Release Date: 8/4/2003 Now that's scary... If the provider isn't offering support on this, ...

excel 2000 #3
good day! when I open my excel file example Book1.xls- there are two excel file opens.-"Book1.xls;1" and "Book1.xls;2". they are the same. how this happen? only on this file. You have two windows on the same file. Just close one of the windows with the X in the top-right of the window, and it will be back to normal. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "jaypee" <jaypee2cool@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:uY8kpc0QGHA.6084@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > good day! > when I open my excel file example Book1.xls- ...

How to transfer email files out of Microsoft Express?
I need some help - I am getting ready to move all my stuff to a new computer - I cannot seem to get my emails out of Microsoft Express - except by moving each one individually which will take forever. I tried making a folder and placing a copies of all the emails in it, which was successful - but I can't move that folder out of Microsoft Express either - the Help file is no help on this issue - This must come up all the time so there should be a way to do it... Please help! Thanks, Judy Try asking in an Outlook Express group - this group supports Outlook from the MIcrosoft Office s...

Length of Migration
Hi, Anyone have any idea how long the actual migration (execution of the exe) takes place? From datafiles to CDF and from CDF to CRM.. Assumptions: 500,000 Accounts each having an average of 2-3 contacts related( parent Account)..No Activities, No Notes... Just the Accounts and Contact Info together with the relationship, just the standard MSCRM Fields, no custom fields Please also post if you've had experience on the Migrating into MSCRM, the complexity and how long it took. I know there are a lot of other things to consider, but we really need estimates ont his.. Thanks =) ...

Microsoft Outlook #3
If I click on deleted messages to erase them,the other selections in Outlook open up while I am looking at the screen.Sometimes the deleted page goes out to another item.Afetr waiting with this situation for some time these things stop doing what they want to and let me use the system as is needed. ...

Text Boxes #3
Could anyone please tell me how to send a text box behind text in cells? I have no trouble in MS Word but cannot get the same thing to work in Excel. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance Regards prairienewf There is no equivalent to the option you get on Word of 'send behind text' or 'bring in front of text'. The order option refers to objects. The best you can do is set the box as transparent. Richard >-----Original Message----- >Could anyone please tell me how to send a text box behind text in cells? I have no trouble in MS Word but cannot g...

Money Newsgroup: Regular News Server vs. Microsoft Communities Server
I noticed the same newsgroup is available via a regular news server (Giganews) as well as the Microsoft Communities server. Interesting, the same group there had messages going back as far as 2003. Do messages posted on either wind up on both? Is there an advantage to using one over the other? Thanks! I think if you look you will find that the Vista "Communities" account server points to msnews.microsoft.com--just like my non-Vista machines. The prime difference seems to be the setting telling the reader that it supports the Communities features. "Ben" <no_...

Public Folder Migration between two separate Exchange Orgs
We migrated our Exchange users using Mail Migration wizard from one Exchange 2003 Organization to another. Does PFMigrate allow to migrate Public Folders between organizations? Please help. Thanks Nope, just intra-organization migration. You'll need the Inter-Organization Replication Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=E7A951D7-1559-4F8F-B400-488B0C52430E&displaylang=en) Nice articles: "Configuring the InterOrg Replication Tool" http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Configuring-InterOrg-Replication-Tool.html "Inter-Organization Replication...

OWA #3
I have been running owa for a couple of years with no problems. All of a sudden I can't access the owa. Here is what happens. If I reboot the exchange 5.5 server it will work for a day after that you can't access the owa. If I go to stop the WWW or IIS service I can't start them back up without rebooting the exchange server. After I reboot the server it works again for only a day or so. Does anybody have any ideas on what might be causing this? HI John, Is anything being logged in your Event Viewer when this happens? It would be good to check but the application and sys...