Mastering Great Plains Tables

Greetings,
Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
cursory understanding of *all* the tables?

I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
what's in each table?

Thanks,
Rob Wuhrman

0
rwuhrman (30)

Have you reviewed the SDK that's on the CD.  There's a lot of information
there.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
SteveChapman (349)
12/28/2005 10:58:02 PM
Tools > Resource Descriptions Tables used to have that information.
Some time back - ( ver 6 maybe) they started removing that information
because it had not been updated.  GP used to have direct to table import
tool and this additional info would have some advice about that - mostly "we
strongly advise against importing into this table" or something along those
lines.  Anyway, that's gone and no sign of it coming back.

This is consistent with a general shift towards not exposing table
structures and instead directing almost all seekers to abstractions such as
Web Services.  This is a good thing. Just as developers no longer hve to
worry about managing extents in SQL server or worrying about optimizing
query performance, we too will not have to worry about table structures (and
table versions) and just worry about the data object.

That said, for those who still fell the need, as you (and I) do, we are left
with a little help.
there is Snapshot from www.winthropdc.com  -David Musgrave wrote it.
You can examine any Dexterity table and store your notes about it.

I think David had a few other tools in mind as well.

Regards
HS

:
: I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
: writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
: myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
: that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
: something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
: what's in each table?
:
:
: Thanks,
: Rob Wuhrman
:

0
HSalim (1270)
12/29/2005 3:06:17 AM
There is a company that produced some pretty detailed data flow documentation
for the various series. Unfortunately, I can't find the web site. As soon as
I do, I'll post the information.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
callen (2505)
12/29/2005 4:07:02 AM
Rob,

There is some good information in a book published and available from
www.accoladepublications.com called Information Flow and Posting for Great
Plains.  It adds to the scanty information in the Resouirce Description
listings.

Check it out.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

Hi
Please Go thru below Post

http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/newsReader.aspx?&guid=&sloc=en-US&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains&p=1&tid=7372543d-0fbf-4e82-92fc-85e5a22a2c7e

Thanks

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
PradeepMV (108)
1/2/2006 11:36:02 AM
Getting Table and Field Information in Microsoft Great Plains

To get information about tables and fields in Microsoft Business
Solutions—Great Plains, you can use any of the following methods:

1. Open the Great Plains window which contains the data you are interested
in, and then select Tools -> Integrate -> Table Import to see the tables
associated with the Dexterity Form.

2. Open the Great Plains window which contains the data you are interested
in, and then select Tools -> Customise -> Customise Current Window. Once
you’re in Modifier Layout mode, look at the window object properties. Usually
the most important table for a form is linked as the AutoLink table. Then
close the layout window and look at the Tables tab of the Form Definition
window to see the attached tables (these will be the same as shown in method
1).

Note: Using this method can create additional windows in the Modifier that
have not actually been modified.  You should check if the window already
exists in the Modifier before using this method, so then you know whether the
window can be deleted or not.

3. Try using SQL logging by adding the following lines into the DEX.INI file:

SQLLogSQLStmt=TRUE
SQLLogODBCMessages=TRUE
SQLLogAllODBCMessages=TRUE

Then delete the DEXSQL. LOG just before performing the actions you are
interested in and look at the DEXSQL.LOG file immediately after.

4. Load the SDK (Software Developers Kit). The kit contains transaction flow
documents that show which tables to use for specific transactions. It also
contains PDF E-R (Entity-Relationship) diagrams that show the tables and
their relationships.

5. Select Tools -> Resources -> Tables, and use the Table Resource window to
look up tables.

6. Use a tool such as SnapShot (available from the Development page of
Winthrop Dexterity Consultants <link to http://www.winthropdc.com/ > ). This
tool can display and export information about tables. However, its main
function is to provide platform and account framework independent data
transfer, backup, and migration.

7. Load Dexterity (from the Tools folder on the second Microsoft Great
Plains CD), open the dictionary, and look at the form definition to get the
attached tables. This will be the same list as provided in methods 1 or 2.

8. Open the window and print the associated report to the screen. Next
select Tools -> Customise -> Modify Current Report. Then look at the tables
attached to the report from the Report Definition.

Note: Using this method can create additional reports in the Report Writer
that have not actually been modified.  You should check if the report already
exists in the Report Writer before using this method, so then you know
whether the window can be deleted or not.

9. This is probably the most powerful of all the methods listed and is
normally available only to the Dexterity developer. Add the following lines
into the DEX.INI file in the application folder to turn Debug mode on.
(Please do not use these settings for live systems.)

ScriptDebugger=TRUE
ScriptDebuggerProduct=0

The zero represents the product ID for Microsoft Great Plains (as shown in
the DYNAMICS.SET launch file). If you are interested in another product, you
can use the product ID for that product.

Launch Microsoft Great Plains. You should now see a Debug menu on the right
side of the menu bar. Get to where you want to start logging and profiling.
Select Debug -> Profile Scripts, Debug -> Clear Profile, Debug -> Log Scripts
and select a filename. Then perform the actions you want to log. Next select
Debug -> Log Scripts to stop the logging, Debug -> Save Profile to save the
profile, and Debug -> Profile Scripts to turn off profiling.

Now look at the script log and the script profile files. The script log
shows all the Dexterity calls with their parameters and hierarchy. The script
profile shows you the scripts called, how many times they were called, and
how much time was spent inside the call. Here is the trick: The bottom half
of the script profile shows all the tables that were touched and what actions
took place.

Note: This step only logs Dexterity based table actions. If a stored
procedure is called, Dexterity cannot see what is happening. Therefore,
Dexterity will not log those table actions.

10. You could also turn on SQL activity tracking from Enterprise Manager to
see what actions Microsoft SQL Server is doing.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
MBS Services - Asia Pacific

Microsoft Business Solutions

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
1/4/2006 4:20:03 AM
Check out the information from Winthrop, it is incredible - and it works
EVERY time!!

Leslie

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> There is a company that produced some pretty detailed data flow documentation
> for the various series. Unfortunately, I can't find the web site. As soon as
> I do, I'll post the information.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Rob Wuhrman" wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> > Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> > detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> > dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> > number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> > there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> > cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
> >
> > I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> > writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> > myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> > that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> > something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> > what's in each table?
> >

> > Thanks,
> > Rob Wuhrman

0
LeslieVail (702)
1/24/2006 6:39:01 AM

"Rob Wuhrman" wrote:

> Greetings,
> Does anyone have or know where I can acquire a detailed document
> detailing every single Great Plains table?  I've used the data
> dictionary on and off over the years and have familiarity with a decent
> number of the important tables that are critical to my work, but is
> there something a little more detailed so that I can get at least a
> cursory understanding of *all* the tables?
>
> I'm thinking of creating a flash card for each table and on the back
> writing a brief sysnopsis of what it's used for, then regularly quizing
> myself.  Failing anything else, I'll probably use the data dictionary
> that's in Great Plains to do my study, but I was wondering if there was
> something else that might provide a couple of sentences describing
> what's in each table?
>

> Thanks,
> Rob Wuhrman
>
> Charles Chapman is right.  There is a company out there that had created awesome and detailed notes for programmers (and humans) :) to digest.  Google for it or look in the services directory in Partnersource.

Rolling excel tables in powerpoint
Hi, I'm trying to create a slideshow with one excel table rolling acros several slides. The data will change and needs updating monthly; I want to be able t paste any new data into the old excel sheet and have the data updat automatically across the slides. Is this possible? Does anyone have any advice, pointers as to how to d this? Thanks alot in advance, Regards, JR -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

extracting data from a pivot table
I have a need to use data from a pivot table on other worksheets in my file. The problem is that when a pivot table changes the data in the cells do not update to my other parts of the spreadsheet accurately. ...

Need help sorting pivot table
I'm not very experienced with Excel, in particular with Pivot tables, and would appreciate some help. I have an inherited spreadsheet with a number of pivot tables in it. The source data for the spreadsheet gets "refilled" from an Access database, but the rows in the pivot table don't generally get sorted correctly. The data is in the form of "month year" - e.g. Jan 05, Feb 05, Mar 05, etc. I tracked down the source of the data in the spreadsheet, it comes from a column on another sheet (column V), labeled Month. It's formula seems to be: =INDEX(Months,MON...

Pivot Table Not Populating Correctly
I run a pivot table with data downloaded from the web but today for some reason the pivot table will not populate correctly. After I create the table, I try to drag over a variable "cost" and it populates every cell as '1' and rather than labeling the column "cost", it labels it "count of cost". I can see from the worksheet that it is taking the data from that the cost is correct but for some reason the table will not populate with it. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it and prevent it from happening again? Thanks, Chris Chris, ...

excel to access without linking tables
I'm trying to transfer a huge excel spreadsheet into access and tryin to do it without having to link the table. Is there any possible wa this can work? Thanks Eric Hoffma -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Assuming your data is in Database format within Excel, File / Get External Data and then just follow the import wizard. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask...

New information added to table not showing in form
I've added new client information into a table and it doesn't show up in the corresponding form. Existing client information that was imported into the table from Excel does show in the form however. What do I need to do? -- Thanks in advance for your time! denilynn Check the recordsource of the form to make sure it reads the entire table and has no filter. Then try entering the data through the form. If it doesn't show up in the table, you may need to build a better query as a recordsource. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org...

How to reference 2 datasets within a table in a Reporting services
How can i calculate within my report the movements of two columns coming from 2 different datasets within a table in a Reporting services report. The 2 different datasets are MDX queries with exactly the same number of rows but running over 2 different periods. I just want to calculate within the report the different between the two columns data i.e col A - Col B. I am only able to reference one dataset within the table and for the second dataset, I can only reference the Sum of this column measure or the First/Last record of this column measure, but not each data rows of this...

Error: Can't clean the following tables:
Hi At the interval of 10 min, event viewer records this Error: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSCRMDeletionService Event Category: None Event ID: 5895 Date: 10.6.2005 Time: 10:33:33 User: N/A Computer: SERVER Description: Error: Can't clean up the following tables: PriceLevel. I have seen couple of replies about this problem, but they addressed to different tables. Now, I don't want to mess with SQL, because warranty on Microsoft CRM server, and I would like to solve it with SQL code that addresses to this table. Please advise -- ... Bojan Buhac MCT, MCDBA, MCSA, MCP If y...

How to import several csv files into 1 access table?
I have several csv files from 4 distributors and I wish to compile all the data into one table and export it to csv format to upload on a production sql server. all files contain similar field names, such as MFGPartNumber, ManufacturerID, ManufacturerPartNumber. Would I have to change the field names manually in the spreadsheets to match my access field name? or is there a way to have MFGPartNumber=ManufacturerPartNumber in some kind of formula? I am very new to this and any help would be appreciated. I'd probably link a CSV file from each of the distributors. Next cr...

EXCEL add-on for multi-way tables. Download the OLAP product.
CODEWORK announces version 8.2 of the 3-way TANGRAM OLAP for the Windows platform. Excel can read TANGRAM hypercubes with an add-on. 3-way TANGRAM is a self-help or survival OLAP - it caters for the business analyst who has no time and budget to install a major OLAP and yet must respond to requests in a time-scale of hours. The product is very lean (8 Mbytes in the minimum config.) and is installed by file-copy. Yet it can handle any typical hypercube problem and features several innovative operations on hypercubes. The limits of version 8 are: 250 million cells and 15 dimensions for eac...

Opening a window(form) with VBA / storing data in a separate table
Hi all, First Question---- I have a third party application (Additional Inventory Fields in the ActNow series from Hawk Mountain) that currently is accessed from the Extra menu while in item maintenance. I have added a button to the item maintenance form and I am trying to figure our what VBA code I need to put in so that when the user clicks on the button that it launches the form that is currently accessed via the menu. This is not currently a VBA form but the window that comes with the application. I have tried to put an "OnUserChanged" event on the button with a FormName.Open...

Double Messages one rich txt the other plain txt?
I occasionally receive double e-mail messages using Outlook XP SP3 coming through an exchange server. I have looked at the properties of these messages and I cannot find a common reason why this might be. Many other messages come in just fine but when the problem occurs I get 2 of the same messages one in rich text and the other in plain text. These messages come from different people all from the same exchange server mail. Can anyone reason why this happens? Thanks, REB ...

Protecting Formulas in Tables
In Excel 2007 I have a formatted table, 10 columns wide, in which 5 of the columns have formulas. There is a nice feature in Excel 2007 that allows me to type a value in a cell which is directly beneath the table and the table then expands to “consume” that value and automatically fills the remaining columns in the table with, where appropriate, the formulas. I want to protect the table so that the formulas are not inadvertently overwritten AND take advantage of this feature. However, if I lock and hide the cells, then Protect the worksheet, this feature is disabled. Ca...

Trying to put a pivot table report on an existing sheet causes err
Thanks to Frank Kabel, I can now make great pivot tables. The problem I am having is that I want to write a macro to generate pivot tables, and I want the pivot table report to be saved on a worksheet called "Sum of Open", which is overwritten each time the macro runs. I have created the sheet named "Sum of Open" which is in the same workbook, but when i try to save it to there ('Sum of Open!'), I get an error: "Your formula contains and invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify that the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, ...

How can I convert table and figure cross-references to text?
Using Microsoft Word 2007. So I have a very large document (300+ pages) that I recently edited to include list styles and cross-referencing for headings, tables, and figures. Since parts of the document are often added or removed, this was a necessity so that the heading, table, and figure fields would auto-update (rather than having to edit them all manually every time the document was edited). The problem is, we often publish this document as a .pdf, and the chapter numbers don't publish in the .pdf bookmarks (i.e. we get "Introduction" instead of "1.0 In...

Outlook adding txt attachment to plain text messages
I'm using Outlook 2000. Recently, it started adding a text file (*.txt) containing the text of the email. It only does it when the incoming email is in 'plain text' format. If it is an 'html' email, it doesn't attach anything. I haven't changed any of my settings ... I can't find anywhere to turn it off. I'm not sure if this is the result of a Windows update or not. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance. Hello, the german MVP have answered that question in his=20 Commnunities. =B2It is a bug and it will be gone after a=20 time." >---...

Report Writer
I want to add a table (HR_EMPLOYEE_EXTRA) to the HR Employee Emergency Contact report. Can this be done? I looked but could not find a way to do it through Report Writer. I'm sure there must be a way but it'll take some more looking. It would be much easier to build a report using SmartList Builder or a different report writer. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Bob Harrison" wrote: > I want to add a table (HR_EMPLOYEE_EXTRA) to the HR Employee Emergency > Contact report. Can this be done? ------=_NextPart_0001_8D212269 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Enco...

Pivot Table Formatting
Hi I run WinXP with Excel 2000. I have a pivot table that uses data that is formatted in non-proportional fonts (ie: Courier New). The pivot table is also formatted to non-proportional fonts (Courier New) I have the pivot table properties set to "Preseve Formatting" When I close the spreadsheet and open it again, some of the fonts in the pivot table revert to proportional fonts. I then have to reformat the fonts back to Courier New Is there anywaht I can stop this from happening? Thanks John For anyone who is interested I seem to have fixed the problem. Originaly I was o...

help merge documents into a master file
Ok, on my local network \\ I have 5 different Excel.xls documents, doc1.xls doc2.xls doc3.xls doc4.xls doc5.xls in each document there is a single sheet, each one names differently and of course I know their names... EAch doc is exactly the same in desigh, has 4 columns, A, B, C, D A: has Department Name B: has Date C: has Employee Name D: Daily Status A1:D1 has headers and everything below that starting at A2:D2 is data... So, there are 5 different documents, I simply want to merge them all into a single sheet, keep the headers and paste the data... only select data filled, ignore bla...

Query with two Tables with date filed for Date Range
How do I create a Query using two tables that have dates field to calculate a value using both the tables for a Date Range. For Example I have four TABLES- Time Card(TC), PROJECT, TC hours(HOURS), and TC expenses(EXPENSE). TC contains name of employees and their billing rates. PROJECT contains Name of Project. HOURS field are TCId, PROJECTId, Dateworked, and Hours. EXPENSE contains fields TCId, PROJECTId, Dateexpense, Expense. I want to build a query that over a Date Range that sums billable amount=hours worked* billing rate+ expense. I set the Dateworked >=[forms]![Report Date Range]![Be...

Pivot table calculated field
I am using a Pivot table to get the total amount of orders to customer from a database. I have built the pivot table with a calculated field since the total amount for each order is missing in the database. The calculated field = no of products * price per product For each specific order Excel calculates the row correct. For the total of each customer and for the pivot table Grand total i seems as Excel is calculating like this: (sum of all prices) * (sum of all numbers of products) = Total pe customer (& Grand total) Is there a way to change the way Excel calculates the totals? If ...

minimize the file size in a ppt with collections of many pivot tables
is there any way can help me minimise the file (which is a power point) size for it collects many pivot tables as the content in there. My ppt file already gets to 221MB which is way unaaceptable for me to work me. Urgent, could someone please help?! The pivot tables in your powerpoint file are probably embedded objects. To save space, highlight the tables in Excel and copy them. Then paste/special as value elsewhere in the worksheet. This will produce a simple table. Use this simple table rather than the pivot table in your powerpoint. -- Gary's Student "chermaine" w...

how can i combine 3 table
lets say we have 3 storey building in use. At each floor, there are several type of furnitures. So we have produced 3 seperate table which has only one field called `furniture name`. I would like to see furnitures in a single table (query result) which will have 3 fields (Floor1, Floor2 and Floor3). If, for example, `Furniture A` exist on only Floor3, Query result will be null for Floor 1 and Floor2, but Floor3. Thanks for your support. I'll urge you to reconsider your design/approach. What you described sounds like a spreadsheet, not a relational database (i.e. Access). Instead, consi...

Pick and Choose items from a Table
I want to be able to look at a sorted table...and from that choose items I want to add to my requisition. There will never be more than 150 parts to be ordered from various vendors. If I try to extract parts based on just one field i.e. type of material, this isn't always relevant because more than one type of material may be ordered from a vendor and not all that are listed. One vendor may have a better deal than another for a portion of the materials ordered. The table should then have a mark/indicator somehow that the item has been ordered/selected so that it doesn't get ordered ag...

calculations within a pivot table
I have a simple pivot table with just one column of data that is "gran totalled" at the bottom. I need to insert a formula that will give m a 2nd column of data which shows the first column as a % of the total. E.g. fixed 20 20% can't be fixed 40 40% to be fixed 30 30% not tested 10 10% Grand Total 100 100% Any help would be much appreciated. Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi Ceepee, very simple . . when setting up the layout of your pivot table, drag t...