Item Price Maintenance - how to exit without saving changes?

GP version 8.00g7.  If you play around in the Item Price Maintenance
window they try to exit, a popup asks if you'd like to save changes.
Only 2 choices: Yes & Cancel.  Cancel brings you back to the Item
Price Maintenance window again, where you are trying to exit without
saving changes.  Only choice is to say yes.  WTF?

gijeet (44)

Have you tried the red x in the upper right corner of the window?

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"GiJeet" wrote:

> GP version 8.00g7.  If you play around in the Item Price Maintenance
> window they try to exit, a popup asks if you'd like to save changes.
> Only 2 choices: Yes & Cancel.  Cancel brings you back to the Item
> Price Maintenance window again, where you are trying to exit without
> saving changes.  Only choice is to say yes.  WTF?

info4071 (3005)
6/30/2008 12:50:07 AM
Rule of thumb, if a window doesn't have a "clear" button on it then your
choices are "yes save changes" or "cancel - don't save yet".  There wouldn't
be a "discard" option in that case.

For reasons that that have been explained before - the short version is that
there are sub windows or scrolling windows in the window in question - if
there is a save somewhere then you must save the record eventually.

In deference to Richard's reply, if you can hit the x to close the window
without having to save then the window isn't coded right.  All windows on
close should check/verify that the record is saved if it needs to be.

patrick
dev support

"GiJeet" <gijeet@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> GP version 8.00g7.  If you play around in the Item Price Maintenance
> window they try to exit, a popup asks if you'd like to save changes.
> Only 2 choices: Yes & Cancel.  Cancel brings you back to the Item
> Price Maintenance window again, where you are trying to exit without
> saving changes.  Only choice is to say yes.  WTF?

prot1 (1345)
6/30/2008 2:20:45 AM
>On Jun 29, 10:20=A0pm, "Patrick [MSFT]" <p...@online.microsft.com> wrote:
> Rule of thumb, if a window doesn't have a "clear" button on it then your
> choices are "yes save changes" or "cancel - don't save yet".

In every other program I've worked in, if you are asked if you'd like
to save changes you have a choice of Yes or No - hence the reason to
ask in the first place.  I've never seen a window that "asks" if you'd
like to save changes but really gives you no choice.  Why even ask ?
Why not something like "You must save changes before exiting" or
better yet...allow discarding of the changes...

gijeet (44)
6/30/2008 3:06:06 PM
I hear your frustration but instead of closing the window why don't you just
press Delete which makes the same behaviour - not saving the existing data,
then close the window.
--
Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
http://ddelprado.blogspot.com

"GiJeet" wrote:

> >On Jun 29, 10:20 pm, "Patrick [MSFT]" <p...@online.microsft.com> wrote:
> > Rule of thumb, if a window doesn't have a "clear" button on it then your
> > choices are "yes save changes" or "cancel - don't save yet".
>
> In every other program I've worked in, if you are asked if you'd like
> to save changes you have a choice of Yes or No - hence the reason to
> ask in the first place.  I've never seen a window that "asks" if you'd
> like to save changes but really gives you no choice.  Why even ask ?
> Why not something like "You must save changes before exiting" or
> better yet...allow discarding of the changes...

Dukester (155)
6/30/2008 8:35:04 PM
When a window as a scrolling window (grid) on it (unless specifically coded
to use a temporary table), changes are saved for each line as you move off
the line.

To "Discard" now would mean that the line data has been updated, but the
header data is not saved.

That is why most transaction windows do not offer a discard option.  The
only way to keep integrity is either to save the current data (for the
header as lines are already saved), or delete the entire transaction.

So, I would suggest you manually reverse the changes you made to the
transaction to restore it to its previous state and save it.

As Patrick stated, if you can close the window with the X and avoid the
Save/Delete/Cancel dialog, there is a bug in the code.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Escalation Engineer - Microsoft Dynamics GP

http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

and confers no rights.

"Dukester" <dukester@discussions.microsoft.com.> wrote in message
>I hear your frustration but instead of closing the window why don't you
>just
> press Delete which makes the same behaviour - not saving the existing
> data,
> then close the window.
> --
> Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
> http://ddelprado.blogspot.com
>

> "GiJeet" wrote:
>
>> >On Jun 29, 10:20 pm, "Patrick [MSFT]" <p...@online.microsft.com> wrote:
>> > Rule of thumb, if a window doesn't have a "clear" button on it then
>> > your
>> > choices are "yes save changes" or "cancel - don't save yet".
>>
>> In every other program I've worked in, if you are asked if you'd like
>> to save changes you have a choice of Yes or No - hence the reason to
>> ask in the first place.  I've never seen a window that "asks" if you'd
>> like to save changes but really gives you no choice.  Why even ask ?
>> Why not something like "You must save changes before exiting" or
>> better yet...allow discarding of the changes...

dmusgrav1 (1325)

OFX download of portfolio prices?
Does anybody know of an online portfolio that will allow export of stock prices by OFX? It would then be possible to import prices into MS Money, once the tap is turned off. It wouldn't be as good as now, but better than updating by hand. R I don't know of one but I do know that some folks are investigating this avenue of attack. One thing that comes to mind for me is writing some simple screen scraping code--or even something that reaches out to the Yahoo Finance .CSV download--to generate the QIF. One would have to be very careful crafting this QIF to make sure it did no ...

Esc and exit
I have a single document application that I want to terminate when I press the <esc> key. Is it enough to put PostQuitMessage(0) in the PreTranslateMessage where I test for the key? Or do I need to also use PostMessage(WM_CLOSE) and DestroyWindow() to make sure everything get's removed from memory PostMessage(WM_CLOSE) (to mainframe) is all you should need. Its going to prompt for any changes that may be pending if your document has changed. You will need to deal with it if you dont want the prompt. -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com "Yasoo" <anonymous...

Saving existing Outlook emails
I'm needing to re-format my harddrive and am wondering how I can save my existing Outlook emails and settings so that once I have the newly reformatted drive setup I can access my saved emails and files? do a search in your hard drive for *.pst... it contains all e-mails and contacts... in brief, all eggs in one basket. If you have mail rules you can export them, as you can your mail account(s). HTH <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10fe01c4a73d$16a62f50$a301280a@phx.gbl... > I'm needing to re-format my harddrive and am wondering how > I can ...

Changing which database Business Portal points to
If I install Business Portal 2.5 (GP) and point it to our Great Plains development server with an old Dynamics database, once we decide to take it live, how do I go back and point it to the live Great Plains server? Is this something that can only be done during the installation? Let me preface my response by saying I only have experience with BP 3.0.... In BP 3.0 several tables are created in the Dynamics database to support the various BP functions. Unless you plan to move or copy those tables you will probably have to reinstall BP 2.5 in order to have them created. Our attempt to cop...

New mail appearing as old deleted item
When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of the new mail showing in bold as new mail. The real new mail is not visible at all and is therefore lost. This problem also used to happen in Windows Mail so I bought Outlook 2007 but it still happens intermittantly. -- Kate What do you see in your Unread Mail folder? "Kate B" <KateB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D9A95DD7-CFC4-423F-9B2B-F8B72177E2CE@microsoft.com... > When new mail arrives in inbox an old long deleted item appears in place of > the new mail...

Document not saved #5
I am trying to save a spreadsheet. Everythgin seems fine excpet for the message "Document not saved" Why is it telling me this and how can I save my work? I have tried saving it to different places and I still get the same message. Hi John, SYMPTOMS When you attempt to save a workbook, you may receive the following error message: Document Not Saved CAUSE This problem may occur when the following conditions are true: The workbook was created from a template that contained an embedded object. -and- You have inserted a worksheet into your workbook from...

Saving a calculated field
First, yes I have read the threads on storing a calculated field and that it is bad mojo to do that. However, I have pay data that I calculate and input to a database and it must be able to be reconciled with our ADP data. So I need the ability to change and fix the data so it does not change as a result of recalculations. I have a form with a field that calculates the pay based on hours and pay rate. I have another field (the "copy" field) next to that one that has the control source set to the database field. I have set the default value of that field to be equal to the...

Item assign to vendors
Would like to have the ability to mass assign items to all vendors. IE: When purchasing services such as delivery or installations. These are service items in the inventory module and are passed on to customers in the sales cycle. They can be purchased from any vendor so would like to be able to mass assign to all vendors. This is particularly an issue when integrating POs and Reciepts. Thank you. -- Christopher L. Mast, MBA Echelbarger, Himebaugh, Tamm & Co., P.C. 5136 Cascade Rd., S.E., Ste. 2A Grand Rapids, MI 49546-3728 phone 616.575.3482 fax 616.575.3481 ----------...

Changing Titles by a formula
From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to another sheet. I only need to change the office and date per each title. Is thier a way to do that making the office and date a formula in another cell? example of title ABC Comp, Office 38L Sales as of 6/07/2004 I need to only keep changeing the 38L and date. Any suggestions----Thanks Say Office # is in Column 'C' in cell A1: ="ABC Comp, Office "&C1&" Sales as of "&Today() ----- Heather wrote: ----- From cell A1:A10 I have standard titles that are linked to ...

Create interactive pivot table chart based on item selected
I'm trying to remember how to drag a chart object to the top left cell of a pivot table thus displaying a charted image of the detail item selected. Any suggestions? ...

save as problem
I cant save my excel file The "save as" option is not eviable. Whats happening? "From a prior post by Ron DeBruin, You can reset your menubar to default. Right click menubar. Customize > Toolbars Tab. Select worksheet menubar. Click Reset button. Using VBA Application : CommandBars(""Worksheet menu bar"").Controls(""File"").Reset Or the whole menubar Application.CommandBars(1).Reset You lost the things you add to the menubar!!" ========================================================== And one link that offers some sugges...

can't change/delete bills and deposits
suddenly one day i realized that when i tried to change a bill, i could click "ok" but nothing would happen. I thought it was because i upgraded to 2004, so i deleted the bills and rescheduled. about 5 of the bills will not delete either. the error message is: "Money could not write to your Money file. The operation could not be performed or another application finished this task before you. Please try again." Now some of the newly scheduled bills will not allow me to change the properties, i click ok but nothing happens when i edit the series. I have repaired ...

Outlook 2007: When i Save a New Rule outlook Change it automatically...
Hi people! I have this problem with Outlook 2007. I have 15 e-mails addresses in my outlook, but i can=B4t create the rules for send all the received mails to each emails folder. Example: I want to create a simple rule that move all the e-mail that i get from "example1@example1.com" to the folder "Inbox/ example1@example1.com". When i create the rule, all works fine, i select the correct e-mail account name, the correct destination folder, etc... but when I hit the SAVE button in rules window, Outlook 2007 changes the account automatically to another one. Not automatically...

Change Row/Column Height & Width
I know I should be able to automatically set a row height to the max necessary by hovering the cursor between the 2 rows I want to adjust and double-clicking, but sometimes this doesn't always work. Why is that that - do I need to adjust a setting? And is there any way to set it so that if text is added or deleted the row height would change automatically so thatthe text fit appropriately? Set the row format to Autofit and cells to Wrap Text Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 19 May 2009 12:14:04 -0700, DaveL <DaveL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I know I should be ...

Changing Functional Currency #4
Try to change the functional currency to Z-CNY. ERROR = Activity for this currency already exist. Finance made 2 GL transactions. Can we remove the transactions (Tools >> Utilities >> Financial >> Remove History) or (File >> Maintenance >> Clear Data ) then change the functional currency? Which tables should I remove history or clear data. Can someone on the board help us? regards, Once you process a transaction, you are stuck with the functional currency. I have not seen a table fix for this problem on the board. Consider creating a new database an...

Change default "SaveAs" to *.msg rather than *.html
Hi!, Using Outlook 03, I regularly need to save emails and prefer to save as *.msg so the attachments are contained within the one file. How can you change the default SaveAs command to Save as Type in a *.msg format (rather than *.html) so the type is already *.msg without having to use the pull down? Thank you Troy Outlook provides no way to change that. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "TroyB" <boeky72@hotmail.com>...

change column name from letters to numbers?
I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing some of the contents to a printed spec. Each numbered field in the spec corresponds to a column in the work sheet. I'd like to change the column headers from letters to numbers. Is that possible? Tools-->Options, General tab. Check the R1C1 Reference Style. ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "Jerry" <jerry@nowhere.com> wrote in message news:OoyPef$eFHA.3048@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I'm importing a 3rd party CSV file into Excel and then comparing ...

Show / Hide items in Pivot Table as required
Hi I am using MS Excel 2003 and need a macro code for show only my selected items only in a Pivot Table. Query: One excel table empstatus.xls in which fields are Employee No , Department, Status, other fields. In status field items are Blank, Leave, Left, Resigned. I wanted to show only blank & leave based on when I’m selecting a particular month in my pivot table. So is there any code to hide all data items of status and only show blank & leave. Please suggest. -- ------------------------------ Thanks Nitesh ------------------------------ ...

Changing of range (Address) to (Cell)
Hi people I have encounter a problem with the use of range From a recorded macro, it's listed this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2,A24:M28"), PlotBy:=xlRow And I edit it to this way ActiveChart.SetSourceData Source:=Sheets("Trend").Range("A1:M2," & Cells(StartX, StartY), Cells(LastX, LastY)), PlotBy:=xlRow And obviously VBA compiler won't let me go this easily, it happen to give an "evil-comment" on my source range, May i know how can i solve this Thank You Hi Kaiyang, Try this, assuming the...

adding supplier to items in PO
When you manually add items to a PO and then select the supplier in the header the items should be added to the items that the supplier carries if they aren't already. This would save loads of time adding suppliers to items. Craig ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the ...

Net change and percentage of change
Hi, I have a list of parts that have had price increases. One column has the old price the other has the new price. I need to show the difference, whether it is positive or negative and the percentage of the increase or decrease. The difference is not a problem. The problem lies in calculating the percentage. I don't how to do that. Can someone tell me? Thanks, Richard =(B1-A1)/B1 "Richard" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a list of parts that have had price increases. One column has the old > price the other has the new price. I need to show the difference, whethe...

Date & Time file was last saved
Is there away to display in a cell the date & time the file was last saved? I know you can do this in word but is it possible in Excel 2002? Here is an UDF Function DocProps(prop As String) application.volatile On Error GoTo err_value DocProps = ActiveWorkbook.BuiltinDocumentProperties(prop) Exit Function err_value: DocProps = CVErr(xlErrValue) End Function Now you can use the following formula in one of your cells: =DocProps("Last save time") Obviously, the file has to have been saved. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to ...

Changing Average Cost GP 9.0 Error
When we try to change the average cost information for an item per the documentation, (tools >> utilities >> inventory >> change average cost), we get this message. "Use the Inventory Adjust Costs window to change the cost of one or more reciepts. The average cost of an item is recalculated when teh changes are proceses" We would like to change it without using the Inventory Adjust Costs window because there are no recent purchases and receipts of the particular item in question Would anyone have any suggestions? The average cost is the aver...