Is it bad to terminate Check Links on started???

Is it a bad idea to terminate Check Links once it has started by doing a
"hard-close" of Great Plains by Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Delete)??

From the Process Monitor in GP, I am able to "Suspend" or Pause the
Checklinks Process, but I am note able to "Remove" or delete it.

I'd already started the checklinks process but without doing a database
backup first, so I want to be on safe side and stop the Checklinks Process.
The only way I could think of is to "hard-close" out of GP. But is a bad idea
to terminate a checklinks this way? Can this lead to damaged data?

Is there any other way to stop Check Links properly? Why can't I "remove" it
from the Process Monitor?

I don't think this is something I would do, and feel very comfortable about
it.
Read TK 850391 on what the checklinks process does, and perhaps you'll feel
the same way. What I don't know is if while doing it's checking, it's adding
data on the fly or storing it in a temporary table, then writing it en
masse?
Anyway, I wouldn't kill this or any other mainteance proceedure.  Bad Ju
Ju....

Mike

"GPLoveHateRelationship" <GPLoveHateRelationship@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:E6E52AEE-CC79-4DFD-ADBA-3FE4AFD2BC28@microsoft.com...
> Is it a bad idea to terminate Check Links once it has started by doing a
> "hard-close" of Great Plains by Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Delete)??
>
> From the Process Monitor in GP, I am able to "Suspend" or Pause the
> Checklinks Process, but I am note able to "Remove" or delete it.
>
> I'd already started the checklinks process but without doing a database
> backup first, so I want to be on safe side and stop the Checklinks
> Process.
> The only way I could think of is to "hard-close" out of GP. But is a bad
> idea
> to terminate a checklinks this way? Can this lead to damaged data?
>
> Is there any other way to stop Check Links properly? Why can't I "remove"
> it
> from the Process Monitor?

GPLoveHateRelationship,

While it's not advisable to terminate check links abruptly, your level of
data corruption will depend on the type of check links process you were
running. Some check links operations tend to remove data, but the reason this
is done is to ensure integrity and avoid orphan records in certain scenarios.

The reason a check links process cannot be removed from the Process Monitor
(without getting into the technicalities), is precisely to avoid an
incomplete maintenance operation. If it makes you feel any better, check
links use -- for the most part -- sequential table scans and address records
one at a time, but there is no way to stop a check links once it has begun.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"GPLoveHateRelationship" wrote:

> Is it a bad idea to terminate Check Links once it has started by doing a
> "hard-close" of Great Plains by Task Manager (Ctrl Alt Delete)??
>
> From the Process Monitor in GP, I am able to "Suspend" or Pause the
> Checklinks Process, but I am note able to "Remove" or delete it.
>
> I'd already started the checklinks process but without doing a database
> backup first, so I want to be on safe side and stop the Checklinks Process.
> The only way I could think of is to "hard-close" out of GP. But is a bad idea
> to terminate a checklinks this way? Can this lead to damaged data?
>
> Is there any other way to stop Check Links properly? Why can't I "remove" it
> from the Process Monitor?

0
MarianoGomez (3440)

linking with mfc42.lib and mfc90.lib?
Hallo! We have an old application we are porting using Visual Studio 2008. Originally developed with VC6.0. It's a mfc-applikation and thus referers to mfc90.lib. Together with the old application we've linked mfc42.lib. Additionally we have linked in a library we don't have the source to. This lib refers to mfc42.lib. Question: can we link in both mfc42.lib and mfc90.lib? Regards Goran This is a serious problem. The answer is, probably not, but "it depends". If the old library does not involve CStrings, if it does not use CWnd *, does not allocate MFC object...

Check box problem
I want to include a check box in a form I have created. It appears that to make the box checkable by users, i.e. by clicking on it, I have to lock the table/form. However, doing this prevents anyone entering text on the others parts of the table/form. Is there any way to make the box checkable without rendering the rest of the form locked please? (One workaround is to double click the box and click on the Checked option. However, this is not really a very user friendly solution for what surely should be simple.) V For a form that includes check boxes, you must add text f...

unable to start directory service
We have an exchange server (alpha) running Windows NT4 and Exchange 5.5 (called exchange1, for example). We would like to move the services over to a Windows 2000 machine running exchange 5.5 We installed 5.5 on the new server (exchange2) and configured it with the exact same site and organization settings. We created the same drives on the new server and then copied over the priv.edb, pub.edb and dir.edb. When we try to start the services, we get errors so I thought "run isinteg - patch" . Unfortunately, we can't run isinteg-patch because the directory service will not ...

Error starting
Hi, when i try to connect to the CRM i get the following error: errorhandler.aspx?errNum=0x80040E4D ...

After re-format / re-install of Store OPS, "Check Stores" button is missing.
I had to re-format and re-install Store Operations POS on 3 stations so far and now I am missing the check stores button in the POS when you click on the Lookup button. We have HQ running and it worked fine before. Any insight? Thank you. Matt Matt, Store Ops Administrator > File > Configuration > HQ Client tab > enter the machine name/address and the port number running the HQ Client program -- = <trae78@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1102806501.391415.197560@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com... >I had to re-format and re-install Store Operations POS on 3 station...

bad links
I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i have to open the source sheets so that the figuers appear. how can i make the links work even if the source sheets are not opend??? Thx, Ovidiu In the file that contains the Links, go to Edit>Links & you should find what you need. HTH |:>) "ovidiu" wrote: > I did some formulas with figuers from other files. the problem is that when i > open the sheet the links to the other documents don't work anymore. i ...

Run Time error When Outlook XP starts in WXP
I just upgraded my Dell PII 400 from W2000 SP4 to WXP SP1. I was having a lot of problems with Outlook XP (all updates applied) crashing multiple times while in use, which was 1 reason for the upgrade. Now when I start Outlook, most times I get a message box entitled: 'Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library' with the text: 'Runtime Error! Program: C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\OUTLOOK.EXE abnormal program termination.' When I click OK, Outlook closes. The next time, it starts OK, but has to scan the Personal folder for errors. Fixes? Britt Dickson -- "In an era o...

Need to send link with parameter
Hi , i got the following question, i'm doing mailing internally on my company and sometimes i need to send a link to a specific program passing a parameter to that file.and example will be (c:\ListMaker\Lister.exe -v -x), how can i pass a link like this?? if i do HTML on the mail like the following line: <a href ='file://c:\c:\ListMaker\Lister.exe -v -x'>Link<a> it will give me that the file is invalid... Any ideas. Thanks in advance. Alex. Alejandro K. <AleK@AleK.com> wrote: > if > i do HTML on the mail like the following line: > <a href ='...

stop opening a blank workbook at start up
how do I stop excel from opening a new workbook everytime I start up the application. Ad a shortcut to the Excel.Exe file and append the properties of the shortcut with /e Shotcut will look like this: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /e "km" <km@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E495132-B698-40B7-B964-D2982513D93A@microsoft.com... > how do I stop excel from opening a new workbook everytime I start up the > application. ...

Linking comments
Is there any way to link comments from once cell to another. When you link the contents of one cell to another, is there anyway to capture the comments as well. How about a userdefined function: Option Explicit Function EchoComment(FCell As Range) As Variant Application.Volatile With Application.Caller If .Comment Is Nothing Then 'do nothing Else .Comment.Delete End If If FCell.Comment Is Nothing Then 'do nothing Else .AddComment Text:=FCell.Comment.Text End If End...

exchange checking other pop3 accounts on other servers
I have a local exchange server on a small network. our email is hosted by our isp on a dedicated server I have using mail enable. I connect to it via pop 3. I have the exchange box on the network to have a mail store so I don't loose email. That's it's only real funciton. When I get email through outlook 07 it's from the other server and then it saves in exchange etc. is there any way in exchange 2003 or the upcomming 2007 server to have IT check the other server box so I don't have to do it through outlook? This would allow me to not have to have outlook running for...

How to avoid when linked source data is changed, chart turns blan.
When I created new charts in Excel 2003, each previous chart became blank. Therefor I saved the file unter a new name and copied the previous chart to the new file. This created ofcourse links to the other files. Now I want to change the source file, but when I do that the chart becomes blank as well. Anybody who had this problem before and found out how to solve it ? Rgds, Chris ...

information about bad debtors
Can someone give me examples about the best way to implement the possibility to follow the evolution of our bad debtors situation. for the moment we receive a excel sheet with the amount of the debts and some comments. How is it possible to integer these informations into the CRM and to update it easily. Thanks in advance for your help or if you can give me your example of the way you manage these kind of informations. Regards Didier Instead of using an excel spreadsheet, you could create a db for the data and then create a custom page within crm to pull the data for the account. In ad...

Can't open URL link from within Outlook
Attempting to click a URL link in an Outlook email results in simply opening IE with a blank page. This happens with all types of URLs (.us,.biz. .gov, etc). If the URL is manually entered into IE, everything works OK. Any ideas? Thanks ...

D-Link disabled my welcome screen and fast user switching option
I installed a D-Link Xtreme N desktop PCI adaptor with their software. It disabled my welcome screen and fast user switching. XP is telling me I need to uninstall the D-Link software to be able to change this setting. Help? -- dewbru ------------------------------------------------------------------------ dewbru's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/225479.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/xp-hardware/1341387.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Start Outlook at inbox?
How do I get outlook to go directly to the inbox when I start it? Thanks "Chris" <wirlybird@webzone.net> wrote in news:#EuAHKVBFHA.3664 @TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl: > How do I get outlook to go directly to the inbox when I start it? > > Thanks > > > Tools --> Options --> Other --> Advanced Options: Startup in this folder Thanks, I must have looked at that several times and it didn't register ... :/ ...

opening links in html email
Office 2000 now won't open page links in html-formatted emails, even with <ctrl> held. Links written in plain text emails will open. Any help with settings to change or any workarounds? -- manfred ...

Cannot Start Reminder Service
I keep getting an error message upon starting Outlook2000 in WinXP..."Cannot start the reminder service. Unable to show reminders." Any suggestions? Thanks. Joel Try starting Outlook with the /resetfolders switch. Start, Run dialog: outlook.exe /resetfolders Press Enter and make sure to leave a space before the switch. -- Ken Slovak [MVP - Outlook] http://www.slovaktech.com Author: Absolute Beginner's Guide to Microsoft Office Outlook 2003 Reminder Manager, Extended Reminders, Attachment Options http://www.slovaktech.com/products.htm "Joel Leslie" <jle...

Removing a Link
How do I remove a link to another worksheet? I have a workbook which has several sheets containing links to each other within the workbook only. The mistake I made is that I copied one of the sheets to a new file in order to email just that sheet to somebody. My problem now is that my original workbook will not function properly as it thinks it is linked to the new file that I no longer need and have since deleted. There does not seem to be a straightforward way to delete a link to another workbook. How do I get back to where I was originally? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Re...

Replacement for Link Monitor
Does anyone know of a Windows 2000 or 3rd party replacement for 5.5's Link Monitor? Why did MS remove it? Thanks On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 15:47:02 -0800, "ZLorca" <zlorca2004@yahoo.com> wrote: >Does anyone know of a Windows 2000 or 3rd party replacement for 5.5's Link >Monitor? Why did MS remove it? > >Thanks > On the properties of the server there is the Monitoring tab. That's one part of it. at the bottom of ESM there is the Tools > Monitoring & Status > Notifications object. That's the other half of it. It all works pretty much the sa...

How to link database using vc?
Hello all: I want to program a code about database using vc,I want to put the database in the server and the application is put in the local PC.I want to know how to link the database,and how to link automatically with code? thanks Your question seems very general and far-reaching! I would suggest you start with using the MFC class CRecordset, which uses ODBC to connect using a Data Source Name (DSN) that is defined for your database. "Lee Tow" <fbjlt@pub3.fz.fj.cn> wrote in message news:OQt4jlGoFHA.1204@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello all: > I want to program a co...

Missing Checks in Reconcilation after upgrade to GP 10
Recently we have upgraded to GP 10. Today we went to reconcile the bank and there are no outstanding checks available to clear prior to 10/14/2009, which is the date of the first check run after the upgrade. You can review the outstanding list through a smart list so I know they are in the database. How come the outstanding checks prior to the upgrade are not showing up in the reconciliation module? Do we have a new set-up option with GP10 we don't know about? ...

Just cant seem to get started....
Hi I m trying to install an EXCHANGE 2000 server in Windows 2000 environment. I had my DNS entries made in the public DNS with the name of the server and the public IP address. Moreover i had the MX record entered also. I created a DC using Windows 2000 Adv. Server. I added another system to the domain and installed exchange 2000 on it. Added MX record in the dns running on DC. Created 2 users. They were able to mail each other. Next i sent an email from a yahoo account and sent an email from my MS outlook on which i had set one of the user accounts created. Both email messages are lost in...

Link to PDF
I need to design an addition to my database that will allow me to 'link' external PDF files to certain records. What I want is to be able to run a dialogue box similar to the 'open file' box found in most windows apps. From there, a user could locate the PDF that needs linking, click 'OK' and a path string to the location of the PDF would be stored. For the file strings that have been already stored in the database, I need users to be able to click a button, etc, to launch an exterior app will open the file located at the location pointed to by the p...

Linking to external document using INCLUDETEXT field looses images
Hello, I would like to inlude the content of another Word document into my Word document. I use the field { INCLUDETEXT "path-to-external.doc"}. It works almost fine (including styles, TOC, references). Unfortunately the images of the external document appear only as gray boxes. I use Word 2007. Can you help? Best regards Michael Are the images in the external document embedded or (more likely) linked? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft....