Invoices without numbers

We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
using in these circumstances. Thanks
0
noyb4649 (154)

We have the same issue. We tend to use the date of the invoice as the
invoice number. The hard part is making sure that AP users enter it
consistently every time. We've finally standardarized on Month, Day,
Year (MMDDYYYY) with no dashes, marks or spaces.

Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)

noyb wrote:
> We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
> Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
> is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
> using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
mpolino (496)
11/13/2006 5:32:06 PM
Dear noyb:

Invoice Number is a required field in the Receivables Entry screen.
You MUST enter an invoice number, even if it's a system generated one.
The Invoice Number (Document Number in GP-speak) is a key field.

Best regards,

Frank Hamelly
NOVA Solutions LLC

noyb wrote:
> We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
> Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
> is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
> using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
fhamelly (399)
11/13/2006 5:34:53 PM
Yes I know its a required field, but not all vendors (at least in my
world) put numbers on their invoices. What I was asking was how do
others handle the problem. That is, what convention (rules) do they use
to concoct one?

Frank wrote:
> Dear noyb:
>
> Invoice Number is a required field in the Receivables Entry screen.
> You MUST enter an invoice number, even if it's a system generated one.
> The Invoice Number (Document Number in GP-speak) is a key field.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Frank Hamelly
> NOVA Solutions LLC
>
> noyb wrote:
>
>>We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
>>Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
>>is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
>>using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
noyb4649 (154)
11/13/2006 9:23:15 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood the question.  Why not just use the sequential
autonumber that GP provides if the invoice number is not important?

Frank

noyb wrote:
> Yes I know its a required field, but not all vendors (at least in my
> world) put numbers on their invoices. What I was asking was how do
> others handle the problem. That is, what convention (rules) do they use
> to concoct one?
>

> Frank wrote:
> > Dear noyb:
> >
> > Invoice Number is a required field in the Receivables Entry screen.
> > You MUST enter an invoice number, even if it's a system generated one.
> > The Invoice Number (Document Number in GP-speak) is a key field.
> >
> > Best regards,
> >
> > Frank Hamelly
> > NOVA Solutions LLC
> >
> > noyb wrote:
> >
> >>We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
> >>Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
> >>is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
> >>using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
fhamelly (399)
11/14/2006 3:08:04 AM
This is not an uncommon situation.
I find utility bills and recurring expenses do not have invoice numbers.
Small businesses, usually services, do not use invoice numbers - they
consider the date of service to be sufficient.
(I;ve seen a few service invoices that used a six or eight-digit date as the
invoice number.  One creative geek even used a Julian date)
I use the invoice date for the doc number.
As others have pointed out, staying consistent is a problem, and avoiding
duplicates does require a little a quick audit.

If you have enough of these numberless invoices, consider using VBA to
generate a consistent invoice number.
you can get quite creative with it and this should be fairly easy to do.

HS

--
www.DynExtra.com
A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community
"noyb" <noyb@anoynomous.ca> wrote in message
> Yes I know its a required field, but not all vendors (at least in my
> world) put numbers on their invoices. What I was asking was how do others
> handle the problem. That is, what convention (rules) do they use to
> concoct one?
>

> Frank wrote:
>> Dear noyb:
>>
>> Invoice Number is a required field in the Receivables Entry screen.
>> You MUST enter an invoice number, even if it's a system generated one.
>> The Invoice Number (Document Number in GP-speak) is a key field.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Frank Hamelly
>> NOVA Solutions LLC
>>
>> noyb wrote:
>>
>>>We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
>>>Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
>>>is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
>>>using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
HSalim (1270)
11/14/2006 4:34:20 AM
We do what Mark suggests with one change: YYMMDD  This ensures sorting by
date if you're looking at a list, but is harder to remember for users.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"Mark Polino (dynamicaccounting.net)" <mpolino@gmail.com> wrote in message
> We have the same issue. We tend to use the date of the invoice as the
> invoice number. The hard part is making sure that AP users enter it
> consistently every time. We've finally standardarized on Month, Day,
> Year (MMDDYYYY) with no dashes, marks or spaces.
>
> Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)
>

> noyb wrote:
>> We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
>> Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
>> is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
>> using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
victoria (3340)
11/14/2006 12:06:12 PM
I completely misread this topic - please ignore my previous ignorant
blather - lol.

MMYYDD is a good format and if you need additional differentiation, add
the first three letters of the vendors name to the beginning or end of
the date.

Frank Hamelly
NOVA Solutions LLC

Victoria [MVP] wrote:
> We do what Mark suggests with one change: YYMMDD  This ensures sorting by
> date if you're looking at a list, but is harder to remember for users.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
>

> "Mark Polino (dynamicaccounting.net)" <mpolino@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > We have the same issue. We tend to use the date of the invoice as the
> > invoice number. The hard part is making sure that AP users enter it
> > consistently every time. We've finally standardarized on Month, Day,
> > Year (MMDDYYYY) with no dashes, marks or spaces.
> >
> > Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)
> >

> > noyb wrote:
> >> We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
> >> Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there
> >> is no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be
> >> using in these circumstances. Thanks

0
fhamelly (399)
11/14/2006 12:54:34 PM
We generally use the invoice date in the YYYYMMDD format.

Ta,
M.

> We deal with a number of small vendors which do not use invoice numbers.
> Since GP's only uses the invoice number to check with duplicates there is
> no check for duplicates. Wondering what processes others might be using in
> these circumstances. Thanks

Because a number generated by the system does not tie back to the physical
invoice whereas something like the invoice date does AND using the invoice
date does not require someone to write a generated invoice number on the
original document (or copies of it.)

Ta,
M.

"Frank" <fhamelly@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> Sorry, I misunderstood the question.  Why not just use the sequential
> autonumber that GP provides if the invoice number is not important?
>
> Frank
>
> noyb wrote:
>> Yes I know its a required field, but not all vendors (at least in my
>> world) put numbers on their invoices. What I was asking was how do
>> others handle the problem. That is, what convention (rules) do they use
>> to concoct one?
>>

>> Frank wrote:
>> > Dear noyb:
>> >
>> > Invoice Number is a required field in the Receivables Entry screen.
>> > You MUST enter an invoice number, even if it's a system generated one.
>> > The Invoice Number (Document Number in GP-speak) is a key field.
>> >
>> > Best regards,
>> >
>> > Frank Hamelly
>> > NOVA Solutions LLC

Number formats and fields
Hi All! I have a list of equations in a word document that I need to add a reference (the first equation in the document will be equation A, the second will be equation B, etc). So I need a numbering field. However, when I get to equation 28 I want the format to be AB, then 29 to be AC, not BB, CC like the default A, B, C… numbering gives you. However, I will be adding other equations randomly throughout the document and referring to the equation reference in text paragraphs, so I would like them to auto update when I add another equation in the middle of the document. Doe...

self numbering invoices
How do I create an ivoice with self numbering? You may want to look at the way J.E. McGimpsey approached it: http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html Paragdor wrote: > > How do I create an ivoice with self numbering? -- Dave Peterson http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html -- David Biddulph "Paragdor" <Paragdor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:111F3924-1A49-45B0-846C-E1BFEB106A28@microsoft.com... > How do I create an ivoice with self numbering? ...

I need macro that adds the values without duplicates
Hi, I have in column J some codes and in column R some numeric values. In J data has duplicates. I want a macro that adds all the values of each code but without duplicates. Something like this: J R PL 32 10 PL 22 5 PL 32 3 It must show in other column the sum of each code. Example PL 32 = 13 y PL 22=5 How can I do this? Thanks!! Why not make a Pivot Table? http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm http://www.contextures.co...

Frogs in the pond
Hi, I have this little charting problem. I'm sure someone will have the solution. It's difficcult to explain so I 've posted a picture here www.fransysco.net/frogs/frogs.gif You may have to zoom on your browser to see it perfectly. I have some data in a table and it's figures about frogs in a a pond and about how many arrive in each batch per quarter and how long they survive. The length of survival is measured in Quarters, too. So each quarter there's a batch of new frogs that arrive - usually 2000 in a a batch. And I measure the survival rate of each batch. Now, if I al...

Matching parts to model numbers
I want to be able to add a different model number into a collum then have the rows in that collum come up with those parts that that model uses as some of these parts are used on severasl different models for example Model A uses parts 1, 2, 3, 4 model B uses parts 2, 3, 5, 6 and model b uses parts 1, 2, 5, 6, ofcourse there a lot more model numbers and parts but what i want to be able to do is type the model number in and have all the part numbers it uses come up in the same row. Is there a table somewhere in your workbook with some relationship between the parts and the Model Number?...

Adding a changing number of cells.
I am trying to add up part of a row of numbers. The number of cells in the row that I am trying to add will change depending on a variable in another cell. For instance, if there are numbers in the range a1:t1, I am trying to obtain the sum of the range that will always start with cell a1 and end with ?1 where "?" corresponds to a number in cell b1. The number in b1 is a variable and will change occasionaly based on other conditions. So if the number in cell b1 is "6" I would want the sum of a1:f1. Does anyone have a suggestion? Thanks, Thanks One way: =SUM(...

How can I get current cell row number
I need to reference the row value of the current cell in a worksheet function: = row() in VBA: activecell.row Hope this helps Rowan excelneophyte wrote: > I need to reference the row value of the current cell ...

How to remove Opportunity from the Invoice form?
We will be building Quotes in CRM but fulfilling Orders in Navision. The Invoice will also be created in Navision. We are going to set up a data feed to receive Navision Invoice info into the CRM Invoice form in a read only format. As a result, I need to strip down the Invoice form. For example, the Opportunity should not be on the Invoice form now. I went to remove the attribute but was not able. "The field you are trying to remove is required by the system or business." So I went to the Invoice entity, found the Opportunity attribute, and was hoping it would be set ...

subquery without using EXISTS word (?)
I am trying to open a report with the following code: strSQL = SELECT SheetsToPrint.* FROM SheetsToPrint WHERE SheetsToPrint.Type IN('TA', 'TAA', 'TD'); 'strSQL is built with code not shown here DoCmd.OpenReport stDocName, acPreview, , strSQL the report itself has a query as its recordsource which reads (lengthy, I know, but that's what I inherited...): (the recordsource by itself does work) SELECT IIf(InStr([Type],"-")=0,Len(AllPagesToPrint!type),InStr([Type],"-")-1) AS order1, IIf(InStr([Type],"...

How to remove closed invoice?

test if a string is a valid 'number'?
Hi, I have a string that I want convert to a number. Before doing that, I need to test if the string represents a valid 'number'. I remember there is a function to do that, but I can't find it. (I am NOT using .net, I am using MFC) Thanks. On Wed, 30 May 2007 08:21:02 -0700, WJ <WJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, >I have a string that I want convert to a number. Before doing that, I need >to test if the string represents a valid 'number'. > >I remember there is a function to do that, but I can't find it. There are functions to determ...

Allowing online payments of invoices
We are looking for a way to accept online payments from our customers. Ideally, we would like them to log into a secure site, see the outstanding invoices, mark the invoices they want to pay and then pay them either via credit card or other forms of e-payments. We are open to better understanding how this could be done and see a website of how it works if anyone has done this. Thank you! ...

Adding the highest numbers in a column
Hello: I have several columns of 8 numbers in a worksheet and I want the sum of the largest 6 numbers in each column. What formula do I use to make this calculation? Thanks >-----Original Message----- >Hello: > >I have several columns of 8 numbers in a worksheet and I >want the sum of the largest 6 numbers in each column. What >formula do I use to make this calculation? > >Thanks >. >I have figured out what I need to do. What if there is a tie? Assume there are these numbers 2 2 2 3 4 5 6 7 if you want all numbers included =SUMIF(A1:A8,">="...

reinstall Office 2004 without losing entourage email files
Office 2004 is behaving very erratically for me, a new development after a long period of happiness. I have tried replacing preferences files, I have rune First Aid on my startup disk and repaired permissions (both from the OSX Tiger install disk) and yet I am experiencing LOOOOOOOOONG load times for MS Office. I feel I need to erase and reinstall office, but I don't want to lose my email archives. What to do? David Removing Office shouldn't remove your Entourage data, but it's a good idea to make a backup regularly in any case. To back up all of your Entourage data, just co...

converting "text" numbers to numbers
I have been using the technique of multiplying cells that have number entries that behave like text entries by the value of 1 to convert them to numbers. However, some mixed cell entries, convert strangely. For example the entry "6 A" (without the quotes) becomes 0.25 when multiplied by 1. Any explanation? Any ideas on how to solve other than checking cell by cell to confirm all characters are numbers? Confused! Frustated! <grin>. Bob Just figured out the "why". An entry like 6 A is converted to 6AM. Its numerical value is 0.25. Still hoping for a ...

Assistant phone number
Hello all.... We're running Server 2003, and Exchange 2003 with Outlook 2003. In the Outlook address book, there is a tab called Phone/Notes, if you open a user's properties. One field on that tab is called 'Assistant:'. Can someone tell me where to go to edit that field? In the AD, it's called telephoneAssistant. I do not see it in the AD Users & Computers, or Exchange MMC's. Thank you for your time. Ed http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q272198 "Ed" <ed.jackson@americantower.com> wrote in message news:uAFq5...

FINDING INVOICE FUNCTION ON EXCEL 2002
THERE IS A AUTOMATIC INVOICE FUNCTION UNDER TOOLBAR ON EXCEL 2000. I CANT FIND IT IN EXCEL 2002. IS IT GONE? IF NOT, HOW DO I GET IT. Hi Brian! Posted to worksheet functions: Do a search for Invoice.xlt. Start > Search for Files or Folders Invoice.xlt If you can't find it then you can download from: http://office.microsoft.com/templates/default.aspx?CTT=6&Origin=EC790020111033 Do a search for invoice as there are a few alternatives Best not to post to more than one group or to post in all upper case: Chip Pearson http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Regards N...

Error number 0x800ccc13
I get the following Mail Delivery Error: -Messages couldn't be retrieved from server. -A TCP/IP error occurred while trying to send data to the server. Error Number 0x800ccc13. How can I get my email? what kind of account and what mail server is it on? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public....

How to search closed workbook for number?
Hi; please help me discover how to search closed Excel 2000 workbooks for numbers. I have numerous workbooks with only one worksheet, containing rows with a six-digit number in some colum. Perhaps the number is stored in Excel's own representation, because using Windows 'Search' does not find a workbook with a known numeric value. Any suggestions will be deeply appreciated. Thanks, -Sean- You can use Vlookup =VLOOKUP(A1,'C:\yours\[yours.xls]worksheetname'!$A$1:$A$100,1,FALSE Or use a VBA macro to loop through the workbooks -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.r...

Add phone numbers at the bottom of flyer
I am trying to add the tear off phone #s at the bottom of a flyer in publisher. Is there a way. Thanks What version Publisher? Publisher has built in templates, File, New, Publications for print, select flyer, scroll down to Sale flyers. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Nancy" <Nancy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:820FD392-81A2-413F-BFAB-1B15B9CF321E@microsoft.com... >I am trying to add the tear off phone #s at the bottom of a flyer in > publisher. Is there a way. Thanks ...

Merge two cells together without losing value of one cell
Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value deleted? As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when I do a merge the ";" would get deleted. Thanks. I have 300 cells with numbers to add ";" to. "Sharon" wrote: > Is there any way to merge two cells together without getting one value > deleted? As an example, I'd like to add ";" after a number, but when I do a > merge the ";" would get deleted. Thanks. On Aug 7, 10:00=A0am, Sharon <Sha...@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Converting month number to text equivalent
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3D1EC.879C4B80 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable In cell A1 I have the date 01/06/2004 (Jan 6th, 2004) displayed. I want = to list the Month and Year of the previous month in cell B1. In this = example I need "DEC-2003" to display. Can anyone help? TIA, Alan ------=_NextPart_000_000C_01C3D1EC.879C4B80 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//...

numbering rows
I'm using excel 2002 and I want to add an additional column that counts the rows. I have created it and numbered it, but when ever I do a sort, the numbers get sorted and they are out of order. Is there a way to keep them in order while sorting? Thanks -- Meg use the formula =row() instead of hard-coding the number Darren On Oct 24, 3:31 pm, "Meg" <alumni(removethis)@swedishinstitute.edu> wrote: > I'm using excel 2002 and I want to add an additional column that counts the > rows. I have created it and numbered it, but when ever I do a sort, the >...

How to increment page number in a cell of worksheet
I have a problem regarding page numbers in a worksheet. The position of page number in the cell is such that page number cannot be provided through header or footer. Can you guide me about how can I increment page numbers in a cell. This is a very unreliable workaround. Declare col. "A" to be an Helper-Column. In Cell A1 type the following formula and copy down to the end of your data. Col. A Cells should, now, present the page number. Pull out one of each, in a "page", to another column in order to present the page number. You may fine-tune, the formula, b...