Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to Cash account instead of Income, Sales account

Great Plains 7.00g12

Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this:

Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead of
the expected 'Income, Sales' account.  We can override this manually for
each item in the invoice.

After entering an item on the invoice.  (I've attached a screen shot)
Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window:

The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as Cash.
We cannot figure out why this is happens.

Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting <Distributions>,
every single account line is filled with the Cash account.

The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.

I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It behaves
the same.

Our VAR has checked:

     Posting Accounts Setup

     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup

     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'

     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item

Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?

Thanks.

Kevin R.

0
russellk (71)

Kevin,

Are you using the Invoicing module or the Sales Order Processing (SOP)
module?  Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom would indicate that you're using
SOP, but you say your VAR checked Invoicing Setup - which is the Invoicing
module.  These two modules do not work together.  Also, you say you attached
a screen shot, but I am not seeing one (I'm using Outlook Express as my
newsreader), not sure if it's just me or if it didn't attach.

Just for the hell of it - did you check to see what posting accounts are set
up for the customer?  This way you can at least tell if it's pulling the
accounts from the customer or not.  And final question - do you have any
customizations or third party products installed for Great Plains?

--
Victoria Yudin
Microsoft MVP - Great Plains

"Kevin R" <russellk@darden.virginia.edu> wrote in message
> Great Plains 7.00g12
>
> Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this:
>
> Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead of
> the expected 'Income, Sales' account.  We can override this manually for
> each item in the invoice.
>
> After entering an item on the invoice.  (I've attached a screen shot)
> Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window:
>
> The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as
> Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens.
>
> Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting
> <Distributions>, every single account line is filled with the Cash
> account.
>
> The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
> Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.
>
> I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It
> behaves the same.
>

> Our VAR has checked:
>
>     Posting Accounts Setup
>
>     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup
>
>     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'
>
>     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item
>

> Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Kevin R.

0
victoria (3340)
4/6/2005 12:19:35 AM
Thanks for the Response Victoria,

    I guess I can't post the images through this Outlook Express, I tried
attaching them but I had an error...

We are using the SOP module.  We use a product called the Nolan Bridge to
bring in sales orders from a Siebel system.  Not all orders come from there,
many are entered through the GP's Sales Transaction Entry window.  Both the
Invoicing and SOP setup are set to post from Item accounts.  The item
posting accounts look ok and the customer accounts look ok as well.   The
only thing we know for certain is that we can enter the correct posting
accounts for the item after it's been selected for the invoice.  The
corrected posting accounts stays correct.  We just can't figure out why the
default posting accounts for items turn to cash.

Thanks for any ideas.

Kevin R
"Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> Are you using the Invoicing module or the Sales Order Processing (SOP)
> module?  Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom would indicate that you're using
> SOP, but you say your VAR checked Invoicing Setup - which is the Invoicing
> module.  These two modules do not work together.  Also, you say you
> attached a screen shot, but I am not seeing one (I'm using Outlook Express
> as my newsreader), not sure if it's just me or if it didn't attach.
>
> Just for the hell of it - did you check to see what posting accounts are
> set up for the customer?  This way you can at least tell if it's pulling
> the accounts from the customer or not.  And final question - do you have
> any customizations or third party products installed for Great Plains?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
>

> "Kevin R" <russellk@darden.virginia.edu> wrote in message
>> Great Plains 7.00g12
>>
>> Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this:
>>
>> Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead
>> of the expected 'Income, Sales' account.  We can override this manually
>> for each item in the invoice.
>>
>> After entering an item on the invoice.  (I've attached a screen shot)
>> Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window:
>>
>> The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as
>> Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens.
>>
>> Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting
>> <Distributions>, every single account line is filled with the Cash
>> account.
>>
>> The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
>> Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.
>>
>> I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It
>> behaves the same.
>>

>> Our VAR has checked:
>>
>>     Posting Accounts Setup
>>
>>     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup
>>
>>     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'
>>
>>     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item
>>

>> Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Kevin R.

0
russellk (71)
4/7/2005 2:42:32 PM
Thanks for the Response Victoria,

    I guess I can't post the images through this Outlook Express, I tried
attaching them but I had an error...  I'll try again..

We are using the SOP module.  We use a product called the Nolan Bridge to
bring in sales orders from a Siebel system.  Not all orders come from there,
many are entered through the GP's Sales Transaction Entry window.  Both the
Invoicing and SOP setup are set to post from Item accounts.  The item
posting accounts look ok and the customer accounts look ok as well.   The
only thing we know for certain is that we can enter the correct posting
accounts for the item after it's been selected for the invoice.  The
corrected posting accounts stays correct.  We just can't figure out why the
default posting accounts for items turn to cash.  Of course we can't have
the users change the posting accounts each time.

Hope this provides some clues.

Thanks

Kevin R

"Victoria [MVP]" <victoria@flex-solutions.com> wrote in message
> Kevin,
>
> Are you using the Invoicing module or the Sales Order Processing (SOP)
> module?  Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom would indicate that you're using
> SOP, but you say your VAR checked Invoicing Setup - which is the Invoicing
> module.  These two modules do not work together.  Also, you say you
> attached a screen shot, but I am not seeing one (I'm using Outlook Express
> as my newsreader), not sure if it's just me or if it didn't attach.
>
> Just for the hell of it - did you check to see what posting accounts are
> set up for the customer?  This way you can at least tell if it's pulling
> the accounts from the customer or not.  And final question - do you have
> any customizations or third party products installed for Great Plains?
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Microsoft MVP - Great Plains
>

> "Kevin R" <russellk@darden.virginia.edu> wrote in message
>> Great Plains 7.00g12
>>
>> Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this:
>>
>> Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead
>> of the expected 'Income, Sales' account.  We can override this manually
>> for each item in the invoice.
>>
>> After entering an item on the invoice.  (I've attached a screen shot)
>> Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window:
>>
>> The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as
>> Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens.
>>
>> Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting
>> <Distributions>, every single account line is filled with the Cash
>> account.
>>
>> The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
>> Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.
>>
>> I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It
>> behaves the same.
>>

>> Our VAR has checked:
>>
>>     Posting Accounts Setup
>>
>>     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup
>>
>>     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'
>>
>>     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item
>>

>> Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?
>>

>> Thanks.
>>

>> Kevin R.

0
russellk (71)
4/7/2005 2:45:59 PM
Kevin,

From the screen shots you sent me the GP setup looks correct, although many
of your screens are modified - not sure if that is something to be looked
at.  However, the default Great Plains system does not behave the way yours
is behaving.  There is just nowhere for it pull the cash account from for
all those accounts needed in the distributions.  So the next place I would
look is any customizations and third party products you may have.  I am not
familiar with Nolan Bridge, but is it possible that something in its' setup
is forcing all the distributions to be the cash account?  The only way to
really test what's causing this is to disable all your customizations,
modifications and third party products, verify that the system behaves as
expected (it should with everything else disabled), then add one component
at a time to see which one is causing the issue.

One more question I have is whether this has always been happening or if
it's something new.  If it's new, what changed?

--

> [...]
>>>
>>> The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as
>>> Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens.
>>>
>>> Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting
>>> <Distributions>, every single account line is filled with the Cash
>>> account.
>>>
>>> The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
>>> Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.
>>>
>>> I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It
>>> behaves the same.
>>>

>>> Our VAR has checked:
>>>
>>>     Posting Accounts Setup
>>>
>>>     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup
>>>
>>>     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'
>>>
>>>     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item
>>>

>>> Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?

0
victoria (3340)
4/7/2005 4:41:35 PM
Posting question resolved:

VAR' solved our Case Collection Invoice posting problem this morning.
The problem was in: Cards � Inventory � Site

 We have a single inventory site; DS, and it's 'Account Segment ID:' was set
to 1100.

This is a natural code for cash and it overrode all regular system posting
account rules.

To fix the problem we only needed to blank out the 'Account Segment ID:', so
that regular

Great Plains posting account rules would apply.  We use posting

accounts at the inventory item level.

A simple fix but hard to find!

Keivn R

"Kevin R" <russellk@darden.virginia.edu> wrote in message
> Great Plains 7.00g12
>
> Our VAR doesn't know the answer to this:
>
> Our Invoice Item Posting Account defaults to the 'Cash' account instead of
> the expected 'Income, Sales' account.  We can override this manually for
> each item in the invoice.
>
> After entering an item on the invoice.  (I've attached a screen shot)
> Looking at the distribution in the Sales Distribution Entry window:
>
> The Credit shows as type SALES but the Distribution Reference shows as
> Cash. We cannot figure out why this is happens.
>
> Selecting the Sales Item Detail Inquiry Zoom then selecting
> <Distributions>, every single account line is filled with the Cash
> account.
>
> The Cash account code populates Inventory, Cost of Sales, Markdowns,
> Returns, In Use, In service and Damaged.  We just don't understand it.
>
> I have a test server with Great Plains 8 and our converted data.  It
> behaves the same.
>

> Our VAR has checked:
>
>     Posting Accounts Setup
>
>     Item Maintenance <Accounts> setup
>
>     Invoicing Setup is set as Post Accounts from 'Item'
>
>     The actual accounts assigned to the inventory item
>

> Sounds like a setup issue but I don't know.  Can someone give me a clue?
>

> Thanks.
>

> Kevin R.

0
russellk (71)