installing GP 10.0 on workstations only

Hello:

I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the
application on the server.

If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the
first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases?  I
mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the
server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database
Setup window).  Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use
mapped drives?

Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the
workstation?  Domain Admin user security?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s

You've been able to forego installing GP on the server for many versions. You
need to have SQL tools or whatever they are called in SQL 2005 installed on a
workstation. Install GP with the server code on that machine.

Because you are creating databases only, you don't need any connection to
the server other than an IP connection. The SQL machine will have the drives
it can see and you will see those drives in the GP utility and SQL Management
Studio.

I've had some clients who don't install any application software on the
server unless it's required for the server to be operated, except for stuff
like virus scanners.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Hello:
>
> I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the
> application on the server.
>
> If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the
> first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases?  I
> mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the
> server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database
> Setup window).  Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use
> mapped drives?
>
> Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the
> workstation?  Domain Admin user security?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s
0
callen (2505)
11/29/2007 2:34:01 AM
Thanks, Charles!

childofthe1980s

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> You've been able to forego installing GP on the server for many versions. You
> need to have SQL tools or whatever they are called in SQL 2005 installed on a
> workstation. Install GP with the server code on that machine.
>
> Because you are creating databases only, you don't need any connection to
> the server other than an IP connection. The SQL machine will have the drives
> it can see and you will see those drives in the GP utility and SQL Management
> Studio.
>
> I've had some clients who don't install any application software on the
> server unless it's required for the server to be operated, except for stuff
> like virus scanners.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "childofthe1980s" wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> >
> > I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the
> > application on the server.
> >
> > If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the
> > first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases?  I
> > mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the
> > server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database
> > Setup window).  Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use
> > mapped drives?
> >
> > Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the
> > workstation?  Domain Admin user security?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > childofthe1980s
Note:
Process Server Module will not work if the GP Server was not installed on
the Server.

"childofthe1980s" wrote:

> Thanks, Charles!
>
> childofthe1980s
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > You've been able to forego installing GP on the server for many versions. You
> > need to have SQL tools or whatever they are called in SQL 2005 installed on a
> > workstation. Install GP with the server code on that machine.
> >
> > Because you are creating databases only, you don't need any connection to
> > the server other than an IP connection. The SQL machine will have the drives
> > it can see and you will see those drives in the GP utility and SQL Management
> > Studio.
> >
> > I've had some clients who don't install any application software on the
> > server unless it's required for the server to be operated, except for stuff
> > like virus scanners.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "childofthe1980s" wrote:
> >
> > > Hello:
> > >
> > > I understand that you can install GP 10.0 and forego installation of the
> > > application on the server.
> > >
> > > If you choose to go that route, then how do you path to SQL during the
> > > first-time run of GP Utilities when you create the company databases?  I
> > > mean, if you install GP on the first workstation without installing GP on the
> > > server at all, you have to tell GP the path to the database (in the Database
> > > Setup window).  Can you use UNC pathing in that window or do you have to use
> > > mapped drives?
> > >
> > > Also, what sort of security do you need to create the databases from the
> > > workstation?  Domain Admin user security?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > childofthe1980s

GP Business Alert
Hello, We are using a 3rd party hosted email solution. We are using Outlook Express on every client PC. When I was going through KB article on GP Business Alert setup, under the server type setup, the KB article called us to select Microsoft Exchange Server. Does it mean that I must use Microsoft Exchange Server to have Business Alert setup? Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks May ...

Hello 04-11-10
Hello Haw do you do? ...

Installed Second Exchange 2007SP1
I have ABC domain with two Sites STL and GVL. I had my exchange server 2007SP1 installed in STL. Now GVL installed a Exchange 2007SP1 server. All looks good but I get the following error message from time to time in the EMC on my Server in STL. There is a Firewall between us should there be some ports open for them to communicate. Thanks for your help! -------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Exchange Error -------------------------------------------------------- The following error(s) were reported while loading topology information: Get-ActiveSync...

Why should I upgrade to 8.0?
If you were currently running MBS 7.5 at the moment, are there any compelling reasons to move up to 8.0? Or would you be better off waiting it out for their 9.0 release? If you haven't seen reason enough, you might as well wait. When you do decide to upgrade, you will still have to go through 8.0 as there is noupgrade path from 7.5 to 9. Your VAR will do both upgrades one after the other so there should be no downtime. HS "ElmerT" <elmer.tagarino@gisimplement.com> wrote in message news:%23gx97N6zFHA.2652@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl... > If you were currently running...

Need help with formula 01-13-10

4.0 Acceleration Software?
Have heard tell of a software "maybe called accelerate" that can be installed on the CRM server, which will increase speed and performance. My clients are complaining of slowness since crm has been installed. They all use Outlook client for desktop, and say there is a definite latency. I've been searching the web, but coming up empty on a software for this. Is it an urban myth or a secret that needs to be be shared? ...

SUMPRODUCT 01-21-10
The following formula works fine: =SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$BL1:$BL$6000")={"A"}),--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$O$1:$O$6000")="XN01"),(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$CI$1:$CI$6000"))) However, I cant seem to get the following to work: =SUMPRODUCT(--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$BL1:$BL$6000")={"A","B"}),--(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$O$1:$O$6000")="XN01","XR01"),(INDIRECT($AW$3&"!$CI$1:$CI$6000"))) I need to be able to summarise (using a headcount indicator (1) in Column CI) ...

Great Plains integration to CRM 4.0
does anyone know if there is integration of great plains with crm 4.0? we have crm 3.0 integrated to great plains 8.0 and want to upgrade both. Hi Shawn, There is no Microsoft connector yet for CRM 4 and GP. There is one for CRM 3 and GP. Other options are to use • some third party tools like Scribe • or use Microsoft BizTalk • or do custom Programming. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profile/umar.khan "Shawn" wrote: > does an...

Outlook Express Attachments #10
OE strips attachments containing Word docs. How do I stop this? The blocking access to feature is disabled via the security tab under tools | options. (its the second checkbox from the top.) -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Jim Beam" <pantheos2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:013101c3dd43$0623e970$a401280a@phx.gbl... > OE strips attachments containing Word docs. How do I > stop this? Tools Options Security untick the second check box "Jim Beam" <pantheos2003@yahoo.com&...

Import Templates for Dynamics CRM 3.0
Hi all I am trying to use the standard import file into Leads, and it is coming up with data type not valid, length not valid however I am 100% sure it is correct. Have any of you out there got formatted xls files that have the correct data types. field lengths that we could possibly use as a template to see if it is actually my error? Regards Wayne Lockey ...

Reporting Services not installed
Hi all, I have installed crm and reporting services but when I go into a report, display it and then hit print I get an popup box saying.... "Do you want to install this software? Name: Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services" Can anyone help please Thanks Jools There's an ActiveX control each client machine needs in order to print SQL Reports from CRM. It's a one-time 5-second install. -- Matt Wittemann, CRM MVP http://icu-mscrm.blogspot.com "Jools" wrote: > Hi all, > > I have installed crm and reporting services but when I go into a report, ...

CRM 3.0 Email Attachments
I understand the attachments are stored in the DB iteself. I am able to find out which table and fields. I see attachment NAME, MIME TYPE, MIMEID but unable to locate which column in the MSCRM.ActivityMimeAttachment table the content is stored ? Please advice. I am trying to download the attachment from the CRM Database into a folder as a file for a given activityid. ...

Installation errors. 01-09-04
I'm setting up CRM 1.2 on a completely clean test environment of windows 2000 servers. Near the end of the installation a message pops up "Setup was unable to register the security service." What could be causing this The usual story: To get the MCCRMSecurityService starting, have you tried re-registering it as follows: On your crm server, at command prompt, go to program files - microsoft crm - bin, then run these commands crmsecurityservice -u crmsecurityservice -r -s Peter Lynch "J. Bridger" <Bridger@nospam.ofllc.com> wrote in message news:0aa001c3d6...

Installing Outlook 2003 using Custom Wizard
I am installing Outlook 2003 using the custom installation wizard. This was working fine for some time. Now, someone in my group must have modified the settings because when I install Office using this MST file the local Outlook Contacts are not showing in the GAL. When I go to the properties and try to add it the check box for "Show this folder as an email address book" is greyed out. I have to go in and manually add the Outlook Address book. Can anyone tell me what setting I can change in my Outlook custom install settings for the MST to make this available by default? ...

GP 10 sp1 Installation guide
Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. If so, can you email to me offline. Contact me and I will send you my email address. -- Joanne Mahoney SDN Consulting Jacksonville, FL I was able to download the install guide. Please send me your email and I will email to you. Steve Berlin steveber@hotmail.com "Joanne" wrote: > Did anyone get a copy of the installation guide for the sp? I am downloading > the sp but I get an "access denied" error with the docs. &...

CRM 3.0 Setup err databases already exist on the specified SQL Ser
ReportServer ReportServerTempDB Question : How to clear this problem? The On-Line Help did not applied as SQL 2005 has been installed on SBS2003 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services Cause There are two causes for this error: Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services is already installed on the specified server. Setup has found a version of Microsoft SQL Server that is not supported by Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services. Solution One of the following versions of Microsoft SQL Server are required for Microsoft SQL Server Repor...

Says printer not installed
I'm using publisher 2003 on Windows 2000. When I try to print or use print preview I get the following message: "To print or preview a publication, at least one printer must be installed on the system." It tells me a printer has not been installed on the system if I try File to Print. I do have a printer installed. If I go into the printers folder and delete my printer, then re-add it, my documents will print. If I exit Publisher and go back into it later, I would have to do the same thing. Anyone know how to fix this?? Thanks Go to the manufacturer's web si...

CRM 4.0: Do notes carry over in lead conversion?
Hi all, I know that in CRM 3.0, when you convert a lead, you lose the notes associated with it. Is this still the case with CRM 4.0? Is there maybe a way to fix that now--mapping relationships?!? Thanks. Hi, Same is the case in CRM 4. Notes of Lead will stay with Lead after conversion to Account or contact. To move them to Account or contact, you need coding. Llugin or workflow assembly will work for you. -- uMar Khan :: MS CRM MVP Microsoft CRM Consultant Email :: imumar at gmail dot com Blog :: http://umarkhan.wordpress.com MVP :: https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/profil...

Office 2004 SP 11.1.0 installation problems

Windows 7 and Dynamics GP 10 SP1
We are on Dynamics GP 10.0 SP1. We have many users that want to upgrade to Windows 7, but we are not ready to upgrade Dynamics. Does anyone know of a way to install Dynamics GP 10 SP1 on a Windows 7 machine? I was told there is a Feature Pack 1 that will allow the install, but it appears to me that you have to have SP4 installed before you can install the feature pack. Thanks GP has a DVD image available that you can install. They had many problems with the .net 2.0 sp1 so that GP could not be installed (easily) on any machine that had .net 2.0 sp1. They created a new insta...

Help Please - A bit of a challenge
Hello everyone~ I had had some trouble on a project I have been working on for some time. I have tried numerous approaches, each with undesired results. (VAB Code) The project I am working on has become quite complex, so rather than bother you with my spaghetti code, I have made a simple example of what I am trying to do. (Attached to this Message) The sheet tracks People and how many fruits they had each day. Day1 is where the information is Inputted, Day2 will double the DAY1 numbers, and Day three will triple the DAY2 Numbers. The challenge I am faced with: On DAY1 ...

how do I replace #n/a in a formula with 0, without erasing my for.
I have a vlookup formula which sometimes gives the result #n/a ( due to the result not being in the vlookup table ). However, I have another formula which looks at this result and if this result is #n/a then it also gives me the result #n/a. Does anyone know how I can amend this so the second formula recognises the #n/a as a 0 ???? The problem I have is that I need to keep all the formulas Hi 1. Option: change your lookup formula to something like =IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(...)),0,VLOOKUP(..)) 2. Option use the following formule (e.g. vLOOKUP formula is in cell C1): =IF(ISNA(C1),0,C1*2) "...

Ubuntu Linux 10.4 LTS was just released!
anything is better than vista! The latest version of Ubuntu is out! 10.4 LTS (LTS means long term support) Download it from here http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download UBUNTU IS FREE AND OPEN SOURCE! What is Ubuntu? Ubuntu is an operating system built by a worldwide team of expert developers. It contains all the applications you need: a web browser, office suite, media apps, instant messaging and much more. Ubuntu is an open-source alternative to Windows and Office. "Mr Baracuda" <baracuda@slim.ws> wrote in message news:4bd9eb08$1@news.x-privat....

Sharing Violation 04-30-10
I have a strange problem that started happening a month or two ago. Periodically my Vista and Win7 users are getting a sharing violation in Excel 2003 when attempting to save the file they have been working on. The file cannot be saved when this happens, but Excel creates a copy of the file that is named (seemingly randomly) something like "10D8D000" that can be saved to another filename. Essentially the original file must be deleted and the new file renamed back to what the original file was named. This is obviously very irritating (we use Excel alot), so I was want...