Importing Debtor transactions

We are importing debtors transactions into Great Plains.  This month it was 
about 9400 transactions.  We import them via Integration Manager (Text files) 
but it takes more than 8 hours to do.  I would like to know of any 
suggestions of other import facilities to use that can provide a speed 
benefit.  The alternatives I know of is the following:

1.  Integration managed but with a ODBC connection to a SQL Server
2.  eConnect

Any comments are welcome.
0
ara (4)
8/10/2005 1:31:04 PM
greatplains 29623 articles. 6 followers. Follow

4 Replies
585 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 51

I had the same issue happen importing 10,000 invoices into the receivables 
module.  I wrote an import that put the data directly into the tables.

If you let me know what module you are importing the data into I will look 
into what tables you will need to import the data directly into.

Rick

"ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:C9FE980F-B3A6-42AE-882B-7004A2529827@microsoft.com...
> We are importing debtors transactions into Great Plains.  This month it 
> was
> about 9400 transactions.  We import them via Integration Manager (Text 
> files)
> but it takes more than 8 hours to do.  I would like to know of any
> suggestions of other import facilities to use that can provide a speed
> benefit.  The alternatives I know of is the following:
>
> 1.  Integration managed but with a ODBC connection to a SQL Server
> 2.  eConnect
>
> Any comments are welcome. 


0
8/10/2005 2:22:10 PM
I'm importing into Sales module normal transactions like Debit notes and 
Credit Notes for the different Debtors.

Do you know if eConnect is faster.  My company is not to keen on directly 
inserting transactions into the SQL tables.  It will cost a bit of a "sales 
pitch" to convince them.

Gideon

"Rick Gittins" wrote:

> I had the same issue happen importing 10,000 invoices into the receivables 
> module.  I wrote an import that put the data directly into the tables.
> 
> If you let me know what module you are importing the data into I will look 
> into what tables you will need to import the data directly into.
> 
> Rick
> 
> "ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:C9FE980F-B3A6-42AE-882B-7004A2529827@microsoft.com...
> > We are importing debtors transactions into Great Plains.  This month it 
> > was
> > about 9400 transactions.  We import them via Integration Manager (Text 
> > files)
> > but it takes more than 8 hours to do.  I would like to know of any
> > suggestions of other import facilities to use that can provide a speed
> > benefit.  The alternatives I know of is the following:
> >
> > 1.  Integration managed but with a ODBC connection to a SQL Server
> > 2.  eConnect
> >
> > Any comments are welcome. 
> 
> 
> 
0
ara (4)
8/11/2005 6:27:13 AM
econnect is very fast, and can be seamless.
a typical implementation would be that your "source" would output an xml 
file as soon as a transaction is completed and that would get sucked into GP 
in regular intervals (per your configuration)
so, when done right, SOP transactions magically appear in GP within minutes 
or even seconds of a transaction being saved in your source.

I would not recommend importing transactions directly into the tables, 
especially when a product like econnect is available.
If not for any other reason, GP will not be able to give you any support in 
the event you run into a problem.

Integration manager's SQL Optimized adaptor is also very fast and that could 
be an option as well.

there are lots of ways to improve integration speed.  Here are some ideas:
- Ensure that the source data is properly sorted - header and detail sources 
are sorted in the same way
- break up integrations into multiple batches - IM performs better with 
smaller batches
- Use multiple machines to run integrations.  Using a combination of 
RetrieveGlobals, AutoDim and some Pre-integration scripting, I once setup 10 
workstations to run SOP integrations all reding from the same datasource and 
integrating to the same company.

And finally, consider kicking off integrations at off-hours
HS





"ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
news:7B2806C6-A58C-4A9F-A5C2-B5156A93DCB4@microsoft.com...
> I'm importing into Sales module normal transactions like Debit notes and
> Credit Notes for the different Debtors.
>
> Do you know if eConnect is faster.  My company is not to keen on directly
> inserting transactions into the SQL tables.  It will cost a bit of a 
> "sales
> pitch" to convince them.
>
> Gideon
>
> "Rick Gittins" wrote:
>
>> I had the same issue happen importing 10,000 invoices into the 
>> receivables
>> module.  I wrote an import that put the data directly into the tables.
>>
>> If you let me know what module you are importing the data into I will 
>> look
>> into what tables you will need to import the data directly into.
>>
>> Rick
>>
>> "ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:C9FE980F-B3A6-42AE-882B-7004A2529827@microsoft.com...
>> > We are importing debtors transactions into Great Plains.  This month it
>> > was
>> > about 9400 transactions.  We import them via Integration Manager (Text
>> > files)
>> > but it takes more than 8 hours to do.  I would like to know of any
>> > suggestions of other import facilities to use that can provide a speed
>> > benefit.  The alternatives I know of is the following:
>> >
>> > 1.  Integration managed but with a ODBC connection to a SQL Server
>> > 2.  eConnect
>> >
>> > Any comments are welcome.
>>
>>
>> 


0
HSalim (1270)
8/11/2005 1:55:57 PM
Please see my response inbetween the lines

"HSalim[MVP]" wrote:

> econnect is very fast, and can be seamless.
> a typical implementation would be that your "source" would output an xml 
> file as soon as a transaction is completed and that would get sucked into GP 
> in regular intervals (per your configuration)
> so, when done right, SOP transactions magically appear in GP within minutes 
> or even seconds of a transaction being saved in your source.

This is something that is handy for part of the integrations we do, since we 
print daily cheques so this is a plus... the problem with the 9400 
transactions is that it happens all at a certain time within 10 minutes of 
each other (at the end of the month)

 
> I would not recommend importing transactions directly into the tables, 
> especially when a product like econnect is available.
> If not for any other reason, GP will not be able to give you any support in 
> the event you run into a problem.
> 
> Integration manager's SQL Optimized adaptor is also very fast and that could 
> be an option as well.

Can you maybe please explain this more.  Currently our company does not own 
eConnect and I'll first will have to convince them of value added, and if 
this is an exceptable alternative solution it will be great.  


> there are lots of ways to improve integration speed.  Here are some ideas:
> - Ensure that the source data is properly sorted - header and detail sources 
> are sorted in the same way

This is already done

> - break up integrations into multiple batches - IM performs better with 
> smaller batches

Can posibly do this, but do you then have to run a script to import all the 
different batches or is it just manually selecting one after the other.

> - Use multiple machines to run integrations.  Using a combination of 
> RetrieveGlobals, AutoDim and some Pre-integration scripting, I once setup 10 
> workstations to run SOP integrations all reding from the same datasource and 
> integrating to the same company.

Can't do it in our company.  They have all the software on one computer and 
everybody access this computer via Citrix.  How do you get by the fact that 
you must be logged in to GP and selected the correct company?


> And finally, consider kicking off integrations at off-hours

This is also a problem.  I don't know what it is yet but due to the Citrix 
and other issues I loose the connection to the server at a certain point in 
time a night.  Unfortunatly our company have a lot of red tape and I'm trying 
to find solutions that don't envolve for example the Network department to 
sort it out.  I once waited over a week for my network point to be fixed :-(

> HS
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 
> "ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message 
> news:7B2806C6-A58C-4A9F-A5C2-B5156A93DCB4@microsoft.com...
> > I'm importing into Sales module normal transactions like Debit notes and
> > Credit Notes for the different Debtors.
> >
> > Do you know if eConnect is faster.  My company is not to keen on directly
> > inserting transactions into the SQL tables.  It will cost a bit of a 
> > "sales
> > pitch" to convince them.
> >
> > Gideon
> >
> > "Rick Gittins" wrote:
> >
> >> I had the same issue happen importing 10,000 invoices into the 
> >> receivables
> >> module.  I wrote an import that put the data directly into the tables.
> >>
> >> If you let me know what module you are importing the data into I will 
> >> look
> >> into what tables you will need to import the data directly into.
> >>
> >> Rick
> >>
> >> "ara" <ara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:C9FE980F-B3A6-42AE-882B-7004A2529827@microsoft.com...
> >> > We are importing debtors transactions into Great Plains.  This month it
> >> > was
> >> > about 9400 transactions.  We import them via Integration Manager (Text
> >> > files)
> >> > but it takes more than 8 hours to do.  I would like to know of any
> >> > suggestions of other import facilities to use that can provide a speed
> >> > benefit.  The alternatives I know of is the following:
> >> >
> >> > 1.  Integration managed but with a ODBC connection to a SQL Server
> >> > 2.  eConnect
> >> >
> >> > Any comments are welcome.
> >>
> >>
> >> 
> 
> 
> 
0
ara (4)
8/12/2005 1:48:07 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Importing Numbers
I imported a bunch of records that include an item number that begins with "0". Both the Excel spreadsheet cell and the Access table are marked as NUMBER. Nevertheless, when the item are imported the leading "0" was deleted. Why? How do I overcome that as I have to have the "0". -- KM Am 02.06.2010 16:44, schrieb Kevin M: > I imported a bunch of records that include an item number that begins with > "0". Both the Excel spreadsheet cell and the Access table are marked as > NUMBER. Nevertheless, when the item are imported the leadi...

Importing database data.
I am using Visio Professional 2002. I have learned to link an access database to a floor plan; but, I cannot link the database fields to the rooms. I would like to be able to import personnel names and other information into the floor plan. How would I do this? consider doing a search on 'visio 2002 space plan', al "Paul" <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0CD71740-D815-4ECB-8F15-14B823B115FB@microsoft.com... > I am using Visio Professional 2002. I have learned to link an access > database to a floor plan; but, I cannot link t...

Schema Importing
With v1.2, you can NOT delete any fields in the database. What happens if I add 2 fields and then decide I do not need them. Then I import a backup schema (before the fields were added), do the 2 fields go away or are they still there? James they are still there..only way to get rid of them would be to restore from a backup of the database before you made the changes -- ======================= John O'Donnell Microsoft CRM MVP http://codegallery.gotdotnet.com/crm "James" <James@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33D6D727-24BF-4DA9-AA8C-F1D9815C85E...

Important Word Options to be selected in Word 2007
-- mprnair What about them? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "mprnair" <mprnair@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:355F31FF-4AAB-4ED6-B326-88FA301C0EED@microsoft.com... > > -- > mprnair > ...

import multiple identites from outlook express to outlook 2003
How do you import multiple Outlook Express identities (mail and settings) into Outlook 2003? After installing Outlook 2003, it only imports the files from the main Outlook Express identity. Outlook does not use identities so it will not recognize them. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to my actual account will be deleted w/out reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer mhat <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> asked: | How do you import multiple Outlook Exp...

XML error "Some Data Was Imported As Text"
Daily, I recieve a 3rd party XML file that I parse in Excel (using an excel macro) and then import into an Access database. Infrequently, the data will import into Excel, then parse and then the routine stops with the error message above. I look through the raw XML file and everything appears to be within the brackets, etc. Can someone give me some clarification to the meaning of the error message? Thanks in advance and Mery Christmas and Happy Holidays! The error message might be generated within your macro - as it is parsing the data it might detect that some field which should be ...

import address book
I have a new laptop windows 7 and want to import my contact/addressbook from windowsXP laptop. How do i do this. Also hhow do i import email from old laptop There is no address book in Outlook. You never import Outlook data. How to migrate Outlook data is posted here daily. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.micr...

Broken statement import
Hi, Rather foolishly, it now turns out, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Office Accounting Express 2008 for evaluation purposes. Now, Money 2005 (14.0.120.1105) running on 64-bit Vista Business no longer downloads and imports bank statements automatically. Previously, I would do the following: 1) Load Money (obviously) and open my bank .mny file 2) Click Favourites, Favourite Web Sites, Your Banks, Barclays Bank plc, Web Statements Logon Page 3) Enter login credentials Then I would download the latest transactions, and Money would import them into my accounts directly. Now, it n...

Is there a way to import another priv1.edb, priv1.stm
My Domain controller took a bad crash and want to know if there is a way to import my old .edb or .stm databases for exchange? I didn't have a chance to export them before it took a dive Please help http://www.ontrack.com/powercontrols/ -- Neil Hobson Exchange MVP For Exchange news, links and tips, check: http://www.msexchangeblog.com "Exchange 1" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2559801c46052$ec0d0ec0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > My Domain controller took a bad crash and want to know if > there is a way to import my old .edb or .stm dat...

Assistance request with Transaction.DropAmount
I have been tasked with making an addition to the status.htm that will display a notification when the cash in the drawer has reached a particular value. I'm familiar with HTML and VB Script, but I've been going over the customization guide provided by MS and I'm a bit lost. The syntax that I see doesn't appear to be working for me or perhaps I just forgot how to do things. If anyone has any advice on how to access the values of Transaction.DropAmount or the value of cash in the cash drawer, I would really appreciate it. Thanks, Andrew Handerson ...

Importing text using get external data
I have created a query spreadsheet that gets certain data from another spreadsheet (call it data spreadsheet). The data spreadsheet has a column where text is stored, which in some cases exceeds more than 255 characters. The query that imports such data truncates the text to the first 255 characters. Is there a way around it ? Any input will be appreciated. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

Mass import Site Note
I'm not sure the best way to do this. We have several inventory Sites set up and we do inventory transfers and payables for different types of items. I want to attach a Note to each Site so the user can check if they have the correct site depending on what Items they are using. Item/Site assignment is not the best way in our situation. I thought of importing Notes but I can't see how to do this using Table Import or Integration manager. I thought of OLE notes but still, don't know how to mass update. Any ideas or help out there for me? thaks Notes are stored ...

Downloaded transactions must be re-accepted every time
I bought Money 2005 last week and got it all set up. But when I turned on the auto-reconcile downloaded transactions option, I found that every transaction it pulled from my bank servers for the last month had to be re-accepted even though it had been downloaded, accepted, and reconciled. Turning this option off didn't fix the problem. It is very frustrating because I can't tell what's new and what's not now. It treats all my old dowloaded and reviewed transactions as something new. Anyone know why or how to fix it? In microsoft.public.money, BASIC since TRS-80 wro...

import csv from clipboard
hi, most of the time i get the csv file inlined into my mail instead of attached. so i would like to copy and paste/import the csv data into excel, instead of * opening a text editor * pasting from clipboard * saving as .csv file * opening it with excel i investigated the import function ActiveSheet.QueryTables.Add(Connection:="text;<filename") where the connection argument does not accept 'clipboard' and paste special function ActiveSheet.PasteSpecial Format:="text" where the format argument does not accept 'csv'. do you have any ideas - beside ...

Data Import Utility
Hello All, I need RMS data import utility.Can any1 guide me OR give me the utility.i have thousands of Lookup codes in Excel & notepad format and i need to import all of them in RMS database.I can use DTS in Sql Server but that is not feasible. Thank & Regards Junaid- This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0382_01C6A431.25D77DB0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Junaid, I gave up on the SO Import Utility. Just didn't have the control we = needed. We use EMS SQL Import; http://www.sql...

Recurring Meetings Imported from Domino
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0027_01C583A2.DFFFC8B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Background: Users were migrated from Domino R5 to Exchange 2003 SP1. Problem: When users cancel a recurring meeting that was created in = Domino and imported into Exchange each listed attendee receives multiple = copies of the cancellation, somewhere in the neighborhood of 180 copies. = This behavior is limited to meetings that were imported from Domino. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why th...

Import/Export XML in protected worksheet
I developped an excel tool on which most of the cells are protected (and I need to keep them protected). I mapped an XML schema on all the worksheet entries. I would like to be able to import and export all these entries but Excel does not let me do that when the worksheet is protected. Can anybody help? ...

Can you import PO's
Does anyone imort Purchase Orders directly from NAV or any other system and if so how are you doing it? Thanks Gaz wrote: > Does anyone imort Purchase Orders directly from NAV or any other system and > if so how are you doing it? > Thanks You can import from NAV through SQL or C/ODBC driver (if you use navision databases).. or using tool how ls retail data director.. cod Gaz, We have a utility to import to a blank PO from CSV file. If you can extract from your other system. May be a solution. http://www.retail-pos.com/addons/csv.html "Gaz" <Gaz@discussions.micr...

How to import web link and avoid frame?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to import web link into Excel and avoid frame on web page? When I browse following link, it look fine on IE, but when I insert this link into excel, it shows nothing, because of frame within HTML. http://www.hkab.org.hk/DisplayInterestSettlementRatesAction.do?Submit=Search&lang=en&year=2010&month=2&day=3 Does anyone have any suggestions on how to solve it within Excel? Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric When I right click on the sheet>import to excel, I get. You can the record a macro to refresh. Rates ...

import from word
I can import a large document from word, but I'd like to format all of the pages at once, rather than one page at a time. I created a master page with the right formatting, but I can't get all of the text to go into that at the same time. How do I change the formatting for all the pages (and text boxes) at the same time? Or, how can I select all of the text and copy and paste it into the text boxes created with the master page? Thanks Create one text box with the page margins correctly arranged to your specifications. (Why the Master page?). Select the text box, right-click, ...

Item Transaction Entry
We currently have two companies and would like to know the best way to transfer inventory from one to the other. Currently we use Transactions-->Inventory-->Item Transaction and enter a (-) Qty to get the item out of Compay A, and do the same (+) Qty in Company B to get the item into the Inventory of Company B. We follow up with a report (using a batch name to mark these transactions) to do Intracompany transactions to match the totals. Without purchasing a 3rd party software to handle advanced intercompany transactions, what is the best practice at this point. Thanks Ric...

Importing Btrieve files to Excel
Can someone tell me an easy way to import btrieve files into Excel? Advise, Thanks Take a look at BtSearch at www.nssdd.com. It will export the btrieve data to dbase or ascii which can then be imported into Excel. Gil "Wally" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<16d601c3b845$17182b60$3101280a@phx.gbl>... > Can someone tell me an easy way to import btrieve files > into Excel? > > Advise, > Thanks Thanks Gill. >-----Original Message----- >Take a look at BtSearch at www.nssdd.com. It will export the btrieve >data t...

linking machine datasource to MySQ,import tableL-error
Hi I am able create a machine datasource using a MySQL ODBC driver but when I select import and try to import data I get the error , Microsoft Access reserved error (-7701). I used the same driver around 6 months ago and it worked fine. Thanks. -- Paul G Software engineer. Just a bit more information. I ran a trace and get the following, looks like a bad pointer, could it be running out of machine memory! MSACCESS 714-6cc ENTER SQLSetConnectOption HDBC 083715E8 SQLINTEGER 103 <SQL_LOGIN_TIMEOUT> SQLPOINTER 0x00000014 MSACCE...

Recurring Investment Transaction
Is there any way in Money 2004 to have an investment transaction set up in Bills / Deposits as a recurring transaction? This would be extremely useful for: 1) Automatic Payment Plan into an investment each month / quarter 2) Scheduled dividend income 3) Scheduled interest income Any ideas? I do not know why you can not add an investment account transaction to the Bills & Deposits section ? Thanks, Ken. Are these things possible? 1) Yes. This isn't even particularly hard or cryptic. I'm wondering if you have something different in mind than I do. Please describe precisely ...

Canadian Payroll Transaction Report
When the CanPay menus were improved in release 8.0, (ie. setup actually is under setup now), all the reports associated with a pay run are now under Reports, not transactions. Since they are an integral part of a pay process, they should be put back where they were on the old Transactions - Payroll-Canada palette so the users don't have to scroll back and forth between Transaction menus and Reports menus to do the payroll. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the &...