How to integrate Chunk file with GP.

Hello everyone,

I am new to GP. I have got a chunk file from a customer. That chunk file
contains an HR module created by someone for that customer. Now, customer
wants that all the business logic should be transfered from Dexterity to .Net
managed code. For that he provided me a chunk file, and database backup (SQL
Server).

Now when I placed the chunk file into the GP folder and start GP, pop-up
asks me to include new code, if I press yes then that new code is included.
Here, I need to clearify that currently I am working on Sample Company
(because, I can not find any way to start GP without configuring a Company).
When code has been added, then If I click on any feature it raises exception
that Table with the name blahblah does not exists. when I saw the database it
is not exists. If I see the provided DB by customer then that table exists in
that db, when I created the script of all those missing/new tables and
executed on the Sample db and then again run the GP, it gives me an error
that HR module is not registered. I have tried to search a lot on that,
please advice me how should I able to configure that application so that I
can transfer the BL to .Net managed Code. When I installed the chunk file, at
the start of the application, GP gives some errors related to trigger. Kindly
advice me how should I overcome to that problem.

Regards,
Ahmed
0
Ahmed1 (26)

Please make sure that you are installing the chunk on the same Great Plains
version as it was designed for.  The trigger errors are probably because you
are not using the chunk on the same version of the application as it was
written for.

Also a chunk usually does not include source code.  Once unchunked
(extracted) to a Dictionary you can use Dexterity Utilities to do a developer
upgrade to recombine the extracted dictionary back into a clean copy of
Dynamics.dic to create a development dictionary.  Then you can open the
resulting combined dictionary with Dexterity.  If you can see any globals
scripts then the source code is present.  If you can't then you don't have
the source.

I would attempt to obtain the development dictionary for the product with
the source as well as any product documentation/user guides etc.

As for converting to a .Net application, you would probably be better off
obtaining the original specifications and starting again using the Dexterity
code and SQL tables as a reference only.

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer

Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"Ahmed" wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I am new to GP. I have got a chunk file from a customer. That chunk file
> contains an HR module created by someone for that customer. Now, customer
> wants that all the business logic should be transfered from Dexterity to .Net
> managed code. For that he provided me a chunk file, and database backup (SQL
> Server).
>
> Now when I placed the chunk file into the GP folder and start GP, pop-up
> asks me to include new code, if I press yes then that new code is included.
> Here, I need to clearify that currently I am working on Sample Company
> (because, I can not find any way to start GP without configuring a Company).
> When code has been added, then If I click on any feature it raises exception
> that Table with the name blahblah does not exists. when I saw the database it
> is not exists. If I see the provided DB by customer then that table exists in
> that db, when I created the script of all those missing/new tables and
> executed on the Sample db and then again run the GP, it gives me an error
> that HR module is not registered. I have tried to search a lot on that,
> please advice me how should I able to configure that application so that I
> can transfer the BL to .Net managed Code. When I installed the chunk file, at
> the start of the application, GP gives some errors related to trigger. Kindly
> advice me how should I overcome to that problem.
>
> Regards,
> Ahmed
0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
9/11/2006 1:44:01 AM
Hi David,

Based on this your recomendations we used the method of developer upgrade
option and everything is back into the development dictionary.  now the issue
we are facing is how to remove the unwanted forms and related resources from
the development dictionary in order to clean it, since we have a fairly large
no of forms and other base resources we some how need a way to remove forms
such that the accociated resources should automatically be removed from the
dictionary.

is there a way to achieve this? or may be in other words is there a way to
transfer some forms to new development dictionary such that all realted base
resources & tables should automatically be transfered alongwith the scripts?

looking forward for some tips from all group members.
Regards
Ashfaq Ali
MS Dynamics GP & CRM Functional Consultant

"David Musgrave [MSFT]" wrote:

> [...]
> > (because, I can not find any way to start GP without configuring a Company).
> > When code has been added, then If I click on any feature it raises exception
> > that Table with the name blahblah does not exists. when I saw the database it
> > is not exists. If I see the provided DB by customer then that table exists in
> > that db, when I created the script of all those missing/new tables and
> > executed on the Sample db and then again run the GP, it gives me an error
> > that HR module is not registered. I have tried to search a lot on that,
> > please advice me how should I able to configure that application so that I
> > can transfer the BL to .Net managed Code. When I installed the chunk file, at
> > the start of the application, GP gives some errors related to trigger. Kindly
> > advice me how should I overcome to that problem.

0
ALI8258 (57)
12/15/2006 12:22:00 PM
Dear..
When u run GP after putting ur chunk into GP, you must assign rights
to the alternate Dynamics GP windows . go to > Security sleect the
chunk file as ur dic and then u will see the windows which has been
customized..
tigger errors ocuurs when u have registered triggers and but not has
given rights to the screen.

regards
Engr Shaikh
Technical Consultant MS Dynamics GP