How Big can Company Data Bases get

Company running
Dynamics GP Standard

1) How big can we allow their database to get?

I beleive it is approaching the limit, so I would like to go through and
eliminate old data.
But first as their year end approaches, I would like to copy the existing
data to a second data base- (a back company up per say so they could easily
enter that company and then go back in time that way).
Would someone have detailed instructions on how to do this?

--
Clay Tait
0

How big is it now and what makes you think it's near "the limit"? The
limit tends to be pretty fluid depending on hardware, usage and
processes.

Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)

On Sep 6, 7:16 pm, Clay Tait <ClayT...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> Company running
> Dynamics GP Standard
>
> 1) How big can we allow their database to get?
>
> I beleive it is approaching the limit, so I would like to go through and
> eliminate old data.
> But first as their year end approaches, I would like to copy the existing
> data to a second data base- (a back company up per say so they could easily
> enter that company and then go back in time that way).
> Would someone have detailed instructions on how to do this?
>
> --
> Clay Tait

0
mpolino (496)
9/7/2007 3:03:06 AM
If you are using MSDE, then the limit is 2GB on SQL 2000. I think SQL 2005
Express has a 4GB limit.

If you are using MSDE/SQL Express, you can consider upgrading to the full
version of SQL Server. By upgrading to the full version of SQL Server, you
get unlimited database size depending upon the physical storage space.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"Clay Tait" wrote:

> Company running
> Dynamics GP Standard
>
> 1) How big can we allow their database to get?
>

> I beleive it is approaching the limit, so I would like to go through and
> eliminate old data.
> But first as their year end approaches, I would like to copy the existing
> data to a second data base- (a back company up per say so they could easily
> enter that company and then go back in time that way).
> Would someone have detailed instructions on how to do this?
>
> --
> Clay Tait
0
callen (2505)
9/7/2007 6:42:01 AM
Since the DEX_ROW_ID value is unique for each row (and since it's defined as
an INT data type), the absolute upper limit (assuming sufficient disk space)
would be about 2.1 billion records (2 to the 31st power) in any one table. I
hope you're not nearing that!

--
Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> If you are using MSDE, then the limit is 2GB on SQL 2000. I think SQL 2005
> Express has a 4GB limit.
>
> If you are using MSDE/SQL Express, you can consider upgrading to the full
> version of SQL Server. By upgrading to the full version of SQL Server, you
> get unlimited database size depending upon the physical storage space.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "Clay Tait" wrote:
>
> > Company running
> > Dynamics GP Standard
> >
> > 1) How big can we allow their database to get?
> >

> > I beleive it is approaching the limit, so I would like to go through and
> > eliminate old data.
> > But first as their year end approaches, I would like to copy the existing
> > data to a second data base- (a back company up per say so they could easily
> > enter that company and then go back in time that way).
> > Would someone have detailed instructions on how to do this?
> >
> > --
> > Clay Tait
0
Bud (544)
9/7/2007 1:42:01 PM
I have seen some 60 gig db operating with no problem.    I have also seen
some 10 gig with db issues and there are not setup correctly.    I think GP
has a nice guide on setup on larger systems.

Jim

"Bud" wrote:

> Since the DEX_ROW_ID value is unique for each row (and since it's defined as
> an INT data type), the absolute upper limit (assuming sufficient disk space)
> would be about 2.1 billion records (2 to the 31st power) in any one table. I
> hope you're not nearing that!
>

> --
> Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> GP 9.0, SP2
>

> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > If you are using MSDE, then the limit is 2GB on SQL 2000. I think SQL 2005
> > Express has a 4GB limit.
> >
> > If you are using MSDE/SQL Express, you can consider upgrading to the full
> > version of SQL Server. By upgrading to the full version of SQL Server, you
> > get unlimited database size depending upon the physical storage space.
> > --
> > Charles Allen, MVP
> >

> > "Clay Tait" wrote:
> >
> > > Company running
> > > Dynamics GP Standard
> > >
> > > 1) How big can we allow their database to get?
> > >

> > > I beleive it is approaching the limit, so I would like to go through and
> > > eliminate old data.
> > > But first as their year end approaches, I would like to copy the existing
> > > data to a second data base- (a back company up per say so they could easily
> > > enter that company and then go back in time that way).
> > > Would someone have detailed instructions on how to do this?
> > >
> > > --
> > > Clay Tait
0
JimHummer (81)
9/10/2007 6:44:03 PM
Hi all

guess what I have worked on a database that is over 500gigs, You read right
500Gigs. With limited performance issues. However will not try and attempt
running check links or even upgrading.

Just to let you know that the year end took 3days to run

"Jim Hummer" wrote:

> I have seen some 60 gig db operating with no problem.    I have also seen
> some 10 gig with db issues and there are not setup correctly.    I think GP
> has a nice guide on setup on larger systems.
>
> Jim
>

> "Bud" wrote:
>
> > Since the DEX_ROW_ID value is unique for each row (and since it's defined as
> > an INT data type), the absolute upper limit (assuming sufficient disk space)
> > would be about 2.1 billion records (2 to the 31st power) in any one table. I
> > hope you're not nearing that!
> >

> > --
> > Bud Cool, Accounting System Manager
> > HDA, Inc.  Hazelwood, MO
> > GP 9.0, SP2
> >

> > "Charles Allen" wrote:
> >
> > > If you are using MSDE, then the limit is 2GB on SQL 2000. I think SQL 2005
> > > Express has a 4GB limit.
> > >
> > > If you are using MSDE/SQL Express, you can consider upgrading to the full
> > > version of SQL Server. By upgrading to the full version of SQL Server, you
> > > get unlimited database size depending upon the physical storage space.
> > > --
> > > Charles Allen, MVP

Hi,

I have several customers at about 100Gb, some of the historical
reports take a while but day to day processing is just fine, as are
upgrades, check links and reconciles. The main performance area is the
disk subsystem, if that performs then GP is quite happy.

As for archiving, we have used the approach mentioned in the past, ie
copy the live company data to a second database, however its a bit
fiddly especially given the amount of data involved. I've been reading
about a product called Company Data Archive which looks like it will
automate this (www.profad.com/download/CDA%20Brochure.pdf ), might be
worth a look.

Regards

Jon

0
jongittoes (32)

can't send or receive emails

Access 97 can't resize database window

How can I get 32-bit Integers?

INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS
INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS - www.InternetMillionDollars.biz Watch the VIDEO on YOUTUBE... NOW! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXQUjk5EGV0 MAKE MONEY INSTANTLY using 2007 featured INTERNET MILLION DOLLARS as a resource. WORK FROM HOME HOMEBASED JOBS AND IDEAS BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY Professor James Bradley's "Quick and real way to make BIG MONEY on the Internet!" The Independent Finally you have FOUND IT! Make a FORTUNE each month... .... every month! 100% ON AUTOPILOT Read it NOW and CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Are you fed up with being short of MONEY all the time? Do you DREAM about a...

Can you delete Business Alerts?

Office 2007 forms

can I snap wrap points to a text box

Data migration - Adventure Works

Why ClassWiard can't see my Class?
I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(Class-B) which derived from CWnd class. When I used mouse right-click on the new-created class, it shows a popup-command-menu which missing "add virtual function" and "add windows message handler". From ClassWizard I couldn't see the new-created class either. I tried to delete myprogram.clw & re-issue ClassWizard, but it doesn't help. Anyone can help ? Thanks, Eagle "EagleChen" <xx@xx> wrote in message news:uRGde941DHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > I created a class(Class-A), derived a class(C...

Using Company Wide Mail Templates.

getting started
I'm installing office 2003, outlook, I'm lost from server type to URL address to server info? I have sbc yahoo dsl. can you help me? damselindistress <damselindistress@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I'm installing office 2003, outlook, I'm lost from server type to URL > address to server info? I have sbc yahoo dsl. can you help me? When you obtained your packet from SBC, they included all that information. Moreover, it's in the Help section of SBC Yahoo's site. The most likely settings are "pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com" for the incoming serv...

how do you get a landscape page?
Please help, desperate! If you are using 2010, Page Design tab, Size, More pre-set page sizes. Letter landscape is the first choice. In all other Publisher versions landscape will be on the page setup screen found in the File menu. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "becky.x" <becky.x@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:25D3EDBC-93EF-4582-94B2-83C9CE121E17@microsoft.com... > Please help, desperate! ...

Publisher can not save file

How can I print on 8 1/2"x17" paper?

how can I do a lookup into another sheet?
how can I do a lookup into another sheet? thanks ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Try something like =VLOOKUP(123,Sheet2!A1:B10,2,FALSE) -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "melawaisi" <melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:melawaisi.ws67m@excelforum-nospam.com... > > how can I do a lookup into another sheet? > thanks > > > ------...