Handling open sales orders w deposits at month end

We are having a debate on how to handle these.  The debate centers over doing
a customization that will remove the deposits, close the orders, recreate the
orders in the new month and assign the deposits back to the orders.  The
other side of the debate is there has to be a better way to handle this as it
shouldnt be uncommon for businesses using GP to have open orders cross months.
(As a business we commonly have orders that will be placed in one month and
then completed/shipped several months later).
Does anyone have any input for out debate?
0
Tpa (5)

We leave the open orders on the month it was created but our policy in
invoice creation applies to posting on the same month when it was created.

Just curious, are you also having problems with the 'Payment Not Reserved'
error when posting invoices with Deposits attached?
--
Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
http://ddelprado.blogspot.com

"Tpa" wrote:

> We are having a debate on how to handle these.  The debate centers over doing
> a customization that will remove the deposits, close the orders, recreate the
> orders in the new month and assign the deposits back to the orders.  The
> other side of the debate is there has to be a better way to handle this as it
> shouldnt be uncommon for businesses using GP to have open orders cross months.
> (As a business we commonly have orders that will be placed in one month and
> then completed/shipped several months later).
> Does anyone have any input for out debate?
0
Dukester (155)
10/18/2006 5:13:02 PM
I am with you on that.  I dont see a problem with leaving the sales order
open until it is time to invoice the order.  And it makes sense to post the
invoice in the same month it is created since you typically wouldnt have
unposted invoices hanging out there for long.
What the other debaters are struggling with is leaving the sales orders open
with deposits on them and then closing the period.  I know it posese a
problem if you then want to remove that deposit for some reason.  But this
should be the exception rather than the rule, I would think.

So far, I havent heard any issues with the "Payment Not Reserved" error but
that doesnt mean they arent getting it and just havent mentioned it.

"Dukester" wrote:

> We leave the open orders on the month it was created but our policy in
> invoice creation applies to posting on the same month when it was created.
>
> Just curious, are you also having problems with the 'Payment Not Reserved'
> error when posting invoices with Deposits attached?
> --
> Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
> http://ddelprado.blogspot.com
>

> "Tpa" wrote:
>
> > We are having a debate on how to handle these.  The debate centers over doing
> > a customization that will remove the deposits, close the orders, recreate the
> > orders in the new month and assign the deposits back to the orders.  The
> > other side of the debate is there has to be a better way to handle this as it
> > shouldnt be uncommon for businesses using GP to have open orders cross months.
> > (As a business we commonly have orders that will be placed in one month and
> > then completed/shipped several months later).
> > Does anyone have any input for out debate?
0
Tpa (5)
10/19/2006 9:43:01 PM
We use sales orders all the time with deposits on them - sometimes they sit
for a year before being invoiced. Since the money received is a deposit and
the customer does not have the goods - it should show up in deposits received
as it is a liability. It is not considered revenue until the sale is
complete. Once the goods arrive and the item is billed out - order transfers
(be sure to include transfer totals and deposits) it is invoiced in the
current month. GP automatically transfers the money from customer deposits
received to sales and revenue. I close each month with a number of deposits
each month.

"Tpa" wrote:

> I am with you on that.  I dont see a problem with leaving the sales order
> open until it is time to invoice the order.  And it makes sense to post the
> invoice in the same month it is created since you typically wouldnt have
> unposted invoices hanging out there for long.
> What the other debaters are struggling with is leaving the sales orders open
> with deposits on them and then closing the period.  I know it posese a
> problem if you then want to remove that deposit for some reason.  But this
> should be the exception rather than the rule, I would think.
>
> So far, I havent heard any issues with the "Payment Not Reserved" error but
> that doesnt mean they arent getting it and just havent mentioned it.
>
> "Dukester" wrote:
>
> > We leave the open orders on the month it was created but our policy in
> > invoice creation applies to posting on the same month when it was created.
> >
> > Just curious, are you also having problems with the 'Payment Not Reserved'
> > error when posting invoices with Deposits attached?
> > --
> > Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
> > http://ddelprado.blogspot.com
> >

> > "Tpa" wrote:
> >
> > > We are having a debate on how to handle these.  The debate centers over doing
> > > a customization that will remove the deposits, close the orders, recreate the
> > > orders in the new month and assign the deposits back to the orders.  The
> > > other side of the debate is there has to be a better way to handle this as it
> > > shouldnt be uncommon for businesses using GP to have open orders cross months.
> > > (As a business we commonly have orders that will be placed in one month and
> > > then completed/shipped several months later).
> > > Does anyone have any input for out debate?
0
Gloria (126)
10/19/2006 9:51:02 PM
Thanks Gloria, you made just the point I have been making internally.
Granted I am not an accountant (as you can probably quickly tell) but in
using common business sense what you wrote is definitely plausible and must
be how most businesses like yours and ours treat similar situations.
I was thinking there must be some "gotcha" from either a business
perspective or the GP application that I was missing but it appears I am on
track.

"Gloria" wrote:

> We use sales orders all the time with deposits on them - sometimes they sit
> for a year before being invoiced. Since the money received is a deposit and
> the customer does not have the goods - it should show up in deposits received
> as it is a liability. It is not considered revenue until the sale is
> complete. Once the goods arrive and the item is billed out - order transfers
> (be sure to include transfer totals and deposits) it is invoiced in the
> current month. GP automatically transfers the money from customer deposits
> received to sales and revenue. I close each month with a number of deposits
> each month.
>
> "Tpa" wrote:
>
> > I am with you on that.  I dont see a problem with leaving the sales order
> > open until it is time to invoice the order.  And it makes sense to post the
> > invoice in the same month it is created since you typically wouldnt have
> > unposted invoices hanging out there for long.
> > What the other debaters are struggling with is leaving the sales orders open
> > with deposits on them and then closing the period.  I know it posese a
> > problem if you then want to remove that deposit for some reason.  But this
> > should be the exception rather than the rule, I would think.
> >
> > So far, I havent heard any issues with the "Payment Not Reserved" error but
> > that doesnt mean they arent getting it and just havent mentioned it.
> >
> > "Dukester" wrote:
> >
> > > We leave the open orders on the month it was created but our policy in
> > > invoice creation applies to posting on the same month when it was created.
> > >
> > > Just curious, are you also having problems with the 'Payment Not Reserved'
> > > error when posting invoices with Deposits attached?
> > > --
> > > Microsoft Dynamics GP MVP
> > > http://ddelprado.blogspot.com

0
Tpa (5)

edit Direct Deposit ACH file
would like to see a tool that allows editing of direct deposit ACH file similar to the PM EFT User Defined tool. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=d4ef4f25-a5...

Disabling / enabling entire menu and toolbar if child window open and has focus
Greetings, I have an MFC app within which a user can choose to go to the company's web site. If they select this from the menu, a CMDIChildWnd is created containing a CHtmlView. I need to have it so when this window is opened, all the menus are disabled and the toolbar is disabled. Also, when the window loses / gets focus, the menus are disabled / enabled respectively. Is there an easy way of doing this? How might I go about it? Thanks for your help! ~simon You can't disable *all* the menu items typically, because you want File>Exit, Help>About, other Help items, etc. en...

Report of sales by month based on a cross tab query
Hi, I have a cross tab query that will provide sales by month for 2008. Right now it is sales for January08. As there are sales for future months, they will appear as well. I want to create a table that has all of the months listed out already. Right now, on the first day of the month, I go into the report and add the new month. I want it so that all month are listed which I have done. The problem is that when I run the report, I get an error that says "the Microsoft Jet does not recognize February as a valid field name. After today, there will be February data but no March ...

sales line detail window-after updating the request Ship Date-also
I am also using manufacturing, when you change the requested ship date, you get a window asking: You can update the In House due date, What is the name of this window in modifer? I would like to modify this form, so the No button is disables, I want to make sure they always click 'yes' How do I find this form in modifer? the form name is just 'Microsoft GP Dynamics' thanks -- Doug ...

Great Plains order processing
I am using Microsoft Dynamics GP 9.0 version 9.00.0310. At our company we have a need to add an additional Sales Order Type ID to our orders. We want to have a different order type associated with Warranty Returns, versus standard Sales orders. Reason behind this is because of the end result of a Crystal report we need to generate during Order fulfillment. Our ultimate goal is to have a commercial invoice generated at time of fulfillment. But the commercial invoice needs to have different results based on the type of order. For instance, a sales order would have a cost associated with th...

Records will not open
I am experiencing a problem with certain records within CRM that will not open. The system will try and try to open the record (pinging out two processors) until it finally times out. This is only with certain records but not others... Any suggestions? We experienced a similar problem. We created those records again (Leads) and deleted the old ones... all worked fine then "Phillip Sperry" <phillip.sperry@mxsecure.com> wrote in message news:9FeSb.10804$QJ3.6760@fed1read04... > I am experiencing a problem with certain records within CRM that will not > open. The syst...

Unable to Open received PO (change to "change order")
Great Plains will not allow me to change this Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: Here is the message I get: However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: How can I re-open this Purchase Order so I can change the price??? Thank you. Unfortunately, the pasted messages did not come through. Once a line item is received, you can change its cost only during invoice matching. The process would be to return the item; add a new row with the correct cost; and receive and invoice the new item. Not an elegant solution, for sure. -- Charles Allen, MVP &quo...

VBA Code to Open File1; Open File2 copy sheets to File1
Using XL 2003 & 97 Need help with the following VBA code: Sub Macro1() Dim myNewWorkbook As String myNewWorkbook = ActiveWorkbook.Name Workbooks.Open Filename:="OldWorkbookFile.xls" Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Activate Sheets(Array("Formulas", "Department Lables")).Copy _ Before:=Workbooks(myNewWorkbook).Sheets(2) Windows("OldWorkbookFile.xls").Activate ActiveWorkbook.Close Windows(myNewWorkbook).Activate ' ........ End Sub My goal is to have myNewWorkbook active then:...

When opening Excel get File Not Found error
When I open Excel for the first time, I get an error that says "Microsoft Visual Basic" in the title bar and then it says "File Not Found" I am not sure what is causing this. Any ideas? Thanks! Try opening excel in save mode excel.exe /s if you don't get the prompt, then it is probably related to a bad addin you have selected in tools=>addins or a workbook in your xlstart subdirectory. (try moving any files found there). You can then start adding things back until you find the file causing the problem. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Andy" <anonymou...

Change order of A/R Statements
How can I change the order in which customer statements print out of RMS? I would like to print statements sorted by company name. Currently, the statements print in some random order....I think based on CustomerID. Paul, I agree. I just had a customer tell me the same thing. They need the statements in Alphabetical order. The current order appears to be straight out of the customer table in the order they were entered. It has been posted as a suggestion - vote for it and push it higher on the "list". Claude "Paul Arenson" wrote: > How can I chang...

Excel slow to open workbook when I double-click in Windows
Hi, I am using Excel 2007 on a brand new PC (Intel Core 2 Duo; 2.53 GHz; 3.21 GB RAM; Windows XP Pro). I have installed and started using several applications already and this PC has been very fast and responsive. I am having an issue opening workbooks in Excel. If I open Excel first and then click on the Office button and choos Open, I can open up a workbook very quickly. However, when I double-click on a workbook in Windows (without having Excel open previously), it takes a *very* long time for the workbook to open. I just timed it at exactly one minute. I was wondering if anyone...

Unassigned accounts in Paycheck Deposit
I am trying to set up a paycheck with split deductions and taxes. I enter the Gros Pay, but after I enter all the deductions it says that all those amounts are unassigned. and it won't take my paycheck properly. Any Ideas? Ask your employeer for a corrected paycheck stub, in which all deductions and net pay add up to the gross pay. -Jeff "Tami" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:18fe201c41be7$4ea22120$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I am trying to set up a paycheck with split deductions > and taxes. I enter the Gros Pay, but after I enter all...

cant open html file in outlook 2007
hi, i am having trouble opening attached html file . error is " cant create html file .press Right click on the mouse and check permission on the file" can any body help :( -- בכבוד רב, מישל ויאנקור Have you tried clearing Microsoft Outlook's secure temp folder? "michel" <vaillancourt.michel@gmail.com> wrote in message news:AF480A87-907E-464C-A8A1-6C208A477950@microsoft.com... > hi, > > i am having trouble opening attached html file . error is " cant create > html > file .press Right click on the mouse and check...

FORECASTING SALES (please let this be a worksheet function)
Hi I have recently been given the task by my boss to forecast one of ou key customers monthly usage until monthly until end of 2006, I am starting with this customers indidual branches monthly usage fo the past 3 years, Some branches will have opened and closed during thi time, And i am looking to be able to predict monthly usage for the nex 18 months Has anyone got any idea's on the best way to forcast within excel, I a currently using trend (fomulae given to me on this sight) but people ar saying this is not the best way Exponentionally has been mentioned by a few of my collegues but...

problem opening word 07
When I open word, a dialog box comes up which contains. among other things, the following instructions which I follow up to step 4 then I hit a snag as noted below. >The document contains macros. Macro language support for this application is disabled. Features requiring VBA are not available, Would you like to open this document read-only? Hide Help Open in Help Window • Microsoft Office Access, Microsoft Office Excel, Microsoft Office PowerPoint, or Microsoft Office Word -¬To check your macro security settings, click the Microsoft Office Button, click <program nam...

Open excel sheet twice at same time?
Hi, Probably a question asked all the time, but I often have trouble opening a file after making a desktop shortcut to an excel file. When opening, it gives an error message about opening a file with the same name at the same time (even though I'm not). The error message continues by saying that it doesn't matter if the files are in different folders and suggests renaming one of the files. Any ideas? Thanks. Robert No reason I can think of that would cause Excel to load the file twice irrespective of launching it from a shortcut. Couple of things to check: - The file isn'...

TAB Order
Hello, i want to transfer focus from child window to parent window how can i do it ? or what message is sent to application when TAB is pressed i couldn't get it done with keydown Thanks. Danish. Danish, GetParent()->SetFocus(); will transfer the focus from this window to its parent. Johan Rosengren Abstrakt Mekanik AB "Sahil" <coder@topcoder.com> a �crit dans le message de news:%23h0o2TAOEHA.540@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hello, > i want to transfer focus from child window to parent window how can i do it > ? or what message is sent to application when T...

sales report by split sales persons
we have situations where 2 different sales persons sell to the same customer, depending on product group. We select the specific sales person when we enter the sales order. Unfortunately, later when we want to run a sales report, it assigns all the sales to whatever salesperson is shown in the Cards as the default sales person. We need a report that assigns sales to sales persons based on the data from the individual sales orders ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click th...

Time entered (and handled as data) in simple minutes and seconds.
Using Excel 2003. How can I get Excel to display and handle entries for duration in minutes and seconds only (without having to enter a 4'30" entry as 0:04:30)? I have gotten as far as getting it to display as "04:30.0", but all I need is single digit minutes (data on this spreadsheet will never go over 9:59) and double digit seconds (and to be able to enter them simply as in "4:30"). I couldn't find that as an option in the ones listed for time in the cell format dialogue box. Right now I have to enter 0:04:30 in order to get it to work right. Is t...

On opening outlook
Hi When i open outlook it always goes to a particular folder in my inbox (its a sub folder, about 5 levels down). How do i set it to 1. just open and go to the inbox 2. or open to the last folder i had open. thanks in advance Andy C Tools-> Options-> tab Other-> button Advanced Options... Here you can specify your default startup folder. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "AC&q...

Email automation of CRM per product according to sales cycle
Is there a way to automate Business Contact Manager for Outlook 2007 to email a set of contact records every 10 days according to product interest and according to where in the sales cycle that contact is? I hope I’m able to put pen to paper here and explain this clearly… The sales cycles is viewed as a Bell-Curve that begins at ‘Hello’ at the far left of the curve to ‘Starting to think about a product and collecting information’ as they climb up the curve to ‘Buying’ at the top of the curve and ‘Follow-up’ items such as warranty items or asking for a reference at the far right of the ...

Opening a PowerPoint Presentation in a Web Browser
Set an option in a slideshow presentation if a .pps file is accessed by a webpage link (.htm, .html), open in full-screen, read-only. (PPT 2003 had this functionality.) ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/communi...

windows should reopen in their previously opened size and position
We use large monitors and some dual-monitor setups. Most of the dialogue windows open up designed for a small resolution setting. For example, the "cards/Accounts" window opens up and only shows 10 accounts in the collapsed view. Almost every time I use that window I have to resize and reposition it, and then as soon as it closes and reopens, it is back to the puny size again. There should be an option to "remember" window sizes and positions. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. T...

This Document has been removed from Sales Order Processing History #2
Hi, We have imported data from GP Version 7.0 to GP Version 9.0. We did not upgrade it. All the history and all the transactions were imported into verions 9.0. Now I am trying to using Sales Inquiry from Inquiry >> Sales >> Transaction by Customer. Selected a customer, all details appeares including invoices, payments and other documents. But when I try to drill down on one SOP invoice I get above mentioned error. I checked the Sales Order Processing module, I found those documents and tried to drill down on them, it worked fine. But not from Receivable side. I have al...

sorting activities for each lead/contact by actual end dates
When I view the activities associated with each lead and contacts, the actual end date are not shown. Does anyone know how I can dispaly this field? The activities list in workplace does show the actual end dates but we'd like to see that when we access the list through indivial contact/lead record. Thanks, Victoria Hi Victoria, There is no good out of the box way to do this in MSCRM today. We're working hard to fix this for v2.0. Many of our customers have worked around this issue by registering for a post call out on the activity creation, and then having a custom object wh...