gp should be more user friendly

This is the most user unfriendly system I have ever used.  The books and on
screen help are totally useless.  I have taught my self a lot of programs but
this one is impossible.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=1b168e7e-f0fc-4214-b07d-a4334b0a53d1&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
suebonk (1)

Sue,

Having worked in this industry for 38+ years, the only definition I have
found for "User Friendly" that works universally is "the software works the
way I already expect it to".

As for the online help and user manuals, most midrange ERP systems like
Dynamics GP produce documentation that helps fill out the screens.  My firm
fills in the blanks.

Check out some of your books.  I know exactly what you mean about the help
and online manuals.

--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP

For help learning and better using Dynamics GP,... check out our books at
http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"suebonk" wrote:

> This is the most user unfriendly system I have ever used.  The books and on
> screen help are totally useless.  I have taught my self a lot of programs but
> this one is impossible.
>
> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=1b168e7e-f0fc-4214-b07d-a4334b0a53d1&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
info4071 (3005)

File modified by another user
I have recently upgraded my PC to Windows XP SP2 and am having a curious problem. When I attempt to save the file, I get a dialog box stating the file might have been modified by another user - do I wish to save a copy or overwrite changes. The workbook is not shared - however, it does reside on a Linux Samba share. But then again, it has always resided on the share. Only since the SP2 update, has this started happening: These are the steps I followed: 1. Opened Excel 2. Opened the file on the Samba share 3. Clicked SAVE 4. Got the dialog box asking to overwrite changes or s...

New users not showing up in GAL
We have a single site, single server, Exchange 2003 implementation. Until yesterday we only had one information store inside our single storage group, which contains accounts for faculty and staff. Since we needed to create accounts for students we decided to create a new 'students' store, and were able to create accounts that appear to function just fine. However, users in the 'faculty/staff' store can not see the users from the 'students' store in the GAL. They can send email messages to these accounts, they just don't show up. Any ideas how to make the ...

Moving user profile to D:
Just re-installed Vista + moved 3 users from C:/Users to D:/ +moved all their old (pre-install) files from old user profile to new user profile on D: Still having few issues with permissions/installing There must be a proper (belt & braces) way to move user profile but how? "Chris K" <reply@the.board> wrote in message news:Ibg7o.56701$LU.1438@hurricane... > Just re-installed Vista + moved 3 users from C:/Users to D:/ +moved all > their old (pre-install) files from old user profile to new user profile on > D: > > Still having few issue...

totals do not display unless user clicks on text box
I am relatively new to access. I am using access 2007 to create a report that contains subtotals. When the report is displayed on the screen the subtotals are blank. When the user clicks on the subtotal text box then the value appears. The user has to click on each subtotal in order to make the value appear. Has anyone experience this problem? Is there a workaround or solution? Thanks Normally a sub-total in a report is achieved by means of an unbound text box in a group footer with a ControlSource property which is an expression summing a set of values from the detail sect...

Renaming a user account
I have a user account (Joe) that no longer works here. I disabled his account. A new worker is taking his place (Fred). I want to rename Joe's account to Fred in active directory. If I do this, does Joe's email account automatically turn into Fred'? And will Fred be able to see all of Joe's past email in his inbox? If there is a KB on how to do this, can someone let me know? Thanks in Advance, Jim a better way to do this might be to delete Joe's mailbox (IF, and ONLY IF, you have mailbox retention set), then run the mailbox cleanup agent, and when Joe's ma...

Button invisible if User_Type is User
I need a couple of tweeks to my splash form... 1. I would like to display the FullName of the user logged in on the Splashform. The Fullname and the login ID is listed in the table (tblVersion). 2. There is a button that should not be visible if the user logged in has the User_type of "User" and should be visible if the User_Type is Admin. The button is called "btnAdmin" . How can I accomplish this? I need this desperately!! I have a table (tblVersion) with the following fields: UserID, FullName, and User_Type mousm, Mickey Mouse, Admin bman, Clark Kent, User...

GP Extender
I have added an Extender field to my sales item detail entry screen for Job Number. The key is Line Item Sequence and SOP Number. When I transfer the order to an invoice and open the Extender window, it does not have the job number. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or that it just does not do that. My customer does not want to have to type it in on the order and again on the invoice. Can Extender 'tie' documents or transactions together with same field. For instance, I want the job number to 'flow' from the order to the invoice or from the purchase order t...

changing user password
I have a user that is not able to change her password. I set her up as a user with a temp password, thinking she would be prompted to change at first login. She was not. When she tried to force a change, it said she was not authorized. Where do I give this authorization? I am on v.10 Zach, Did she try to change the password in User Preferences => Password? -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP http://janakirammp.blogspot.com "Zach" wrote: > I have a user that is not able to change her password. I set her up as a > user with a temp password, thinking she would be pr...

GAL with mMobile Users
Hi All My main office running EX 5.5(NT 4.0) and Windows 2000 domain (PDC). We got 3 Intersate offices but at the moment i just install mailenabel mail server for those 3 office and running seperatly. We got lots of mobile users as well I just want to Share and update GAL with all the Interstate offices and mobile users If someone recommend proper way or how to start much appriciate ...

MacOffice2008
I just bought the macbook (in Taiwan), using Leopard OSX. Selected English as the language. Then i installed MacOffice2008 (English version). Excel, Entourage, Powerpoint are fine and User Interface is in English. However, Word user interface is in Chinese. The menu at the top of the page is in Chinese, but some of the toolbars appear in English. I've tried everything, but can't find out how to change to English. Is there something I can do? Any help would be appreciated. Have you tried AppleMenu> System Preferences> International & moving English to the top of the list? ...

Re: how do I export "user-defined" fields and information into excel?
Export Contacts Items from Office Outlook - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM102566171033.aspx Contacts Exporter for Microsoft Exchange Server is small utility specially designed for Microsoft Outlook users to export Contacts Items from any Microsoft Office Outlook and/or Microsoft Exchange Public Contacts Folder (or private Mailbox folder) to Microsoft Office Access table or Microsoft Office Excel file. http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imice.htm "IMI Contact Exporter" export contacts from ANY folder, including shared and public folders.. | "gayle&...

User Form Security Question
Hi, I'm creating a form, which onces completed transfers the data over to the spreadsheet. But the guys in work don't really pay much attention to what they have entered , so i was wondering is there any way to make the user double check every entry? I was thinking, once the user clicks ok, a msgbox would appear giving the user the value they entered, click ok if correct or cancel to amend. Is there a easy way to do this? Cheers. -- harpscardiff ------------------------------------------------------------------------ harpscardiff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/mem...

no permission to send the message for the specified user
-- Barbara How do I solve this? You do not have permission to send the message on behalf of the specified user. I am trying to forward faxes from Outlook. You can't use forward with faxes. You have to Open the fax then Print it to your fax printer and generate a new fax. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6D5A4306-09CD-44BB-90C4-31F93E7A5618@microsoft.com... > > -- > Barbara > How do I solve this? You do not have permission to send the message on > behalf of the specified user. ...

GP Analysis Cube customization
Hi, I would like to rename some of the measures in the GL cube using BI Dev Studio. - Is this supported? - Would the SSIS package continue to work? - Will the future upgrades work? Thank you. This can be done with minimal impact: Open BIDS. Connect to the server and Analysis Services database. In the solution explorer on the right-hand side of the window that appears, select the Financials cube. On the left-hand side of the window, you'll now see a list of the measure groups that exist in the Financials cube. Select the one containing the measures you wis...

Renaming user account
We recently let one of our sales guys go. He has been replaced so I renamed the account as alot of people normally do. However in CRM Im not able to add him because the old user still exists. Which makes sense because the SID is the same. However, the account still shows domain\olduser instead of domain\newuser. Im thinking this is just a synching/timing issue and will be handled in a few minutes. Im rebooting to verify, but Im hoping that you are able to rename an account in AD and that account will show up in CRM without having to always delete, disable account, create new account, an...

Multi User Issue's
Access 2003 Split database No Security Front end (Fe) and Back end (Be) are in the same directory on the server "SHORT CUT" to fe on each (2) workstation Opening the DB on each of the 2 workstations does work HOWEVER if it I already open on one workstation it will NOT OPEN on the other workstation. I have tried: STARTING on BOTH workstations - Same results Tried the same set up with an XP server and a win2000 server - Same results Checked to be sure opening mode is "shared" This is my first attempt at a multi user configuration for Access. I called a buddy of mine who...

Display name points to the wrong user information
Hi, A client of mine is having problem with his user information in Outlook when sending out emails internally. Currently, they are running Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003. This happened yesterday around 9am. When the user send an email to any internal staff, his user/contact information is stated as a different user. For example, my client's name is John Smith and the other account is TempStaff. 1. When he send out internal emails, other will see him as TempStaff in the From field. 2. When other users send him emails, other will see him as TempStaff in the To field. 3. On John Smith&...

Detect username or user attributes with client script.
Is there a piece of code I can use on the client side that will either: A. detect the users security role or an attribute of the user or B. detect the users username I'm looking to make certain fields read-only based on the user. We have about 5 users that should not have access to change half of the fields under cases. I want to be able to do the following in the onload event: If username = Bob, field 1.readonly = true or If UserAttribute = Foo, Field1.readonly = true You and me both. From what I understand, this data cannot be exposed through the JScript methods currently supporte...

How to open another user's folder list?
Hello, I have Outlook 2002 SP3 and Windows XP SP2. In my Folder List I have my mailbox expanded showing all my folders (inbox, calendar, contacts, etc.). I also have the mailbox for our general company email account (info@) that receives the emails submitted from our website. But when I click on the + sign next to it to expand it, I get a message saying "Unable to expand the folder. The set of folders could not be opened. The operation failed." This company email is set up as it's own user on our network, and I am set as it's delegate with full control over all it's ...

How do I share Outlook (mail) between different Users in Win XP?
I have done this for a couple of years using Outlook Express, but can not figure it out in Outlook. I want to share Outlook with multiple Users in Win XP. (Using the same email address for all users). Any suggestions? Just configure Outlook in a way that each user has access to the same data file, find your pst file and move it to a place where each user is able to access it, then use file/open at each user account to open the file. Configure the email account for all users. Thomas Quester www.olfolders.de "aebarney" <aebarney@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im...

In Series and Master Posting give users ability to exclude recurr.
On the Series and Master Posting windows, please give users a checkbox to exclude recurring batches when they choose to select all. That would help prevent recurring batches from being posted when they should not be, and eliminate the requirement for users to manually deselect them if they select all. Thanks. ...

Restrict Users sending to specific email addresses (Exch 2003)
We have some ex-employees with personal email addresses that we don't want our employees to be able to send to. Is there a way to prohibit users from sending to specific email addresses? I've already tried adding the user to the Recipient Filtering within Message Delivery, but messages do go through. Also I have applied the filters on our Default SMTP Virtual Server. Any help would be appreciated. I'd try adding a contact in AD for that user and then setup restrictions on it. I suspect the check name would then resolve the SMTP address to the contact :-) If that works you could ...

Users not showing in GAL
Hi i know this topic as been discussed but i cant seem to find the posting In Exchange 2003 when i add a new user the user i see the user in the 'All Users' section of the address book but the user does not show in the Global Address Book. The same goes for a Universal Distuibution List I have Rebuilt and Updated the Recipent Update Service and no luck. Please help..... Also... When i do a preview of the Default Address Book from the Exchange System Manager all users are displayed. Have you got the tick in the "Hide from exchange address lists" under the Exchange Advance...

GP 10 Garnishment Examples
Are there any examples of garnishment setups supported with GP 10.0? The documentation doesn't provide any. I'm looking for setup ---> calculation results for common scenarios. In particular, I'm curious what's supposed to happen in the calculation if multiple fixed amount garnishments are setup to split evenly with each having fed and state max rules applied that are method percent of earnings with a max percent of 60%. It looks like the fixed amount of each garnishment is being taken even if that exceeds 60% of my disposable earnings. Any solid examples would be...

Simple Javascript to get the current CRM user
I'm looking to add an OnChange event to restrict changes to a certain picklist field in the Account table. Simple logic, except I can't seem to figure out who the current user is... This has to be a simple one for you JavaScript jocks, and I'd really appreciate your saving me hours... Many thanks, Dave ...