GP and CRM servers - Individual file backup

I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
2007) server.

I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
recreating my servers from scratch.

What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.

Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.

Jerry Flatto

"No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."

Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

Jerry,

Have a look at the following Microsoft article:
http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/backup.mspx

It should give you an idea of what needs to be backed up.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Jerry Flatto" wrote:

> I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
> 2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
> services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
> server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
> second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
> My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
> 2007) server.
>
> I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
> VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
> Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
> VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
> hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
> recreating my servers from scratch.
>
> What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
> important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
> location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
> accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
> I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
> preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
> but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
> copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
> message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
> what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
> service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
> that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.
>
> Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.
>
> Jerry Flatto
>
> "No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
> of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."
>
> Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
> Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
> Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

0
MarianoGomez (3440)
5/20/2009 4:18:01 PM
Mariano is pointing you to a good resource.

In addition to that you may want to download a free tool from Micosoft that
was created by Mark Russianovich called ADRestore.

In case someone deletes AD objects like child objects to the OU that was
created for the CRM deployment or user accounts that were incorrectly deleted
instead of being disabled within CRM.

This tool has saved some of my clients serveral times.
/:>

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> Jerry,
>
> Have a look at the following Microsoft article:
> http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/backup.mspx
>
> It should give you an idea of what needs to be backed up.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "Jerry Flatto" wrote:
>
> > I am currently running three different servers.  One server (Windows server
> > 2003) is running Dynamics GP 10.  This server also acts as my terminal
> > services license server.  Access to this server is via remote desktop and
> > server access is via “Users and groups” settings (not Active Directory).  My
> > second server (Windows server 2003) is running CRM 4.0 and active directory.
> > My third server (Windows Server 2008) will eventually be a SharePoint (MOSS
> > 2007) server.
> >
> > I am in an academic environment and my three servers are running on top of
> > VMware 2.5 ESX on IBM Blade hardware.  I have no access to the underlying
> > Vservers or the images.  All I can see and access are my three servers.  The
> > VMware images will not be backed up (don’t ask J ) and if the underlying
> > hardware crashes or any software problems occur, I will be responsible for
> > recreating my servers from scratch.
> >
> > What my information systems group recommends is that I identify the
> > important files on each server and somehow backup these files to a certain
> > location on each server such as “C:\backup”.  This location will then be
> > accessed by software from my information systems group and backed up.  Thus,
> > I am trying to identify all the various files and documents that I need to
> > preserve.  Some such as the SQL Data directories for GP and CRM are obvious
> > but I am sure that there are a number of files that I should individually
> > copy/backup that I don’t even know about.  Therefore I am posting this
> > message to various Microsoft Newsgroups in the hope that people can recommend
> > what GP or CRM related files I should archive; how to backup my terminal
> > service license server; backup active directory accounts, any other files
> > that would ease the anguish of recreating my three servers from scratch, etc.
> >
> > Any ideas or links to references are appreciated.
> >
> > Jerry Flatto
> >
> > "No trees were harmed in the sending of this message; however, a large number
> > of electrons were slightly inconvenienced..."
> >
> > Dr. Jerry Flatto, Associate Professor,
> > Information Systems Department - School of Business, University of
> > Indianapolis, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA mailto:jflatto@uindy.edu

Import vCard file to Outlook #3
I have Office 2007/Outlook on Vista. I want to import a vCard file of contacts which has been exported from jPilot on Linux. When I try it only imports the first contact, not the entire file of contacts. Questions: -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import vCard version 3.0 format, or only the earlier version 2.1 format? (I can use either). -Can Office 2007/Outlook on Vista import a file of multiple vCards? Can it import a set of individual vCards in a folder? In any case, how do I get a bunch of vCards into Outlook? gus <gus_zernial@yahoo.com> wrote: > I have Office 2007/Outlook ...

Need help getting files from Exchange Server.
We have a computer that had an account on Outlook attached to a Microsoft exchange server. Apparently for the moment, this computer and the server are inextricably tied together. Outlook cannot even be started without logging into the server because information store or whatever is missing. How do you get the information out of the exchange server to wean the computer from it? tom <Spamblocker@ameritech.net> wrote: > We have a computer that had an account on Outlook > attached to a Microsoft exchange server. > > Apparently for the moment, this computer and the > se...

when i save a file that i have worked on, excel7 closes down work.
i have recently purchased office pro 2007. Excel 2007, when i save a filethat i have worked on, excel closes down and work is lost, done all updates, re installed from disc, please help i have lost 2 hours of work this moring that i need for a report a few questions: 1. what happens with save as? 2. what happens in safe mode? (hold shift key while starting excel) 3. do you have add-ins? 4. what operating system? x64? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "rob" <rob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0483F09B-3289-42B4-8849-0C0A61380B11@mic...

Accessing win 2k8 member server
Hi sbs 2003 standard. We have a 2k8 member server in the domain. Is there a way to allow users to connect to the win2k8 server via rww without making them member of domain admin group? At present if a user is not admin he/she does not get the option to connect to this server in rww. Thanks Regards Hi John: What is the intent of connecting to the Server 2008? One way wouldl be to add the Remote Desktop Services role (aka Terminal Services) to that server. But perhaps if we knew more we could be of more help. - Larry Please post the resolution to your issu...

How to change .pst file location on hard drive(s)?
I want to move my .PST file c/w archives to a partition other than C:\. How can I do this with Win Live Mail? Thanks, John. "Machinist60" <e_john_wilson.no.spam.@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:hj5s5l$q8r$1@news.eternal-september.org... > I want to move my .PST file c/w archives to a partition other than C:\. > How can I do this with Win Live Mail? > > Thanks, John. I didn't realize WLM utilized the .pst file. I had to convert my .pst file data into the Windows Mail format and then import the data into WLM. Please explain what you...

Just saved file, cannot be found. ?
Even Global search ? Win 7 ... Whatz up? if you saved it, it should be in the mru list? what version of excel are you using? -- Gary Keramidas Excel 2003 "Boswell" <Boswell@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E9D6ED74-ABC5-469D-9572-2D8AE93F36CD@microsoft.com... > Even Global search ? > > Win 7 ... > > Whatz up? one other question, how did you open it, outlook email? if that's the case, search will never find it. it is probably here: C:\Users\Your user name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Intern...

Slow Response time after server move to AD
I've recently moved my Windows 2003 Server running GP 8.0 from a stand alone server on a Novell network to a member server in Active Directory. The response time from client computers has slowed drastically. It also ocurred when the clients were part of Active Directory and the sevrer was still a stand alone (workgroup). Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be slowing the response time of GP, primarily on customer screens. Thanks! Ben DeGennaro ...

Excel 2003 file freezes laptop
I took a laptop away from the office and tried to open a large spreadsheet on the local C: drive. Each time I tried the laptop froze and had to be rebooted. When I connected back to the LAN at work, and opened the same file on the local C: drive I had no problems. What could cause this? If there is any corruption is there a way to decompile or something as you would in Access? Thanks, Mich ...

Unattend configure Send/Receive Group / PRF file -Outlook XP
Hi, Have to rollout 4000 laptops with Offline Storage enabled. I want to automatically configure outlook to: - use OST file - Synchronize when logging on and off - Download and sync. the general address book I have made a PRF file (using CIW) that creates OST file...so far so good... But I can't unattend set the option to sync when logging on and off. It seems this setting is stored in an SRS file in the users profile!! Second item, default the first address book in the list is synchronised. Is there a way to auto configure Outlook XP to sync OST fiel when logging on and off, (ins...

Problems with reading date/time format from SQL server
Helo! I made a pivot table. I get data from external source - SQL server. On of the columns is date/time type. For some reason unknown to me, Exce doesn't read this dates correctly. Instead of dots between months an days it puts little squares .. ?!? I opened the same file on m coworkers comp. and it works just fine. If anyone has already encountered this and knows how to fix it .. plase reply. thnx j -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com There may be some difficulties getting external data properly into Excel. If not done correctly you cannot use the data in formulae e....

About CRM Installation
I would like to know if we can install Microsoft CRM 1.2 and Visual Studio 2003 on the same machine or problems may occur -- Best regards Jacques Hamalian senior CRM developer No problem, but CRM as a server which not good to install VS on it. "Jacques" wrote: > I would like to know if we can install Microsoft CRM 1.2 and Visual Studio 2003 > on the same machine or problems may occur > -- > Best regards > Jacques Hamalian > senior CRM developer ...

OT: managing file fragmentation on external USB backup drive (SBS2003)
Just wondering how others are managing file fragmentation on their external USB backup drives (SBS 2003)? I have two WD 500GB drives that i rotate weekly (each backup is around 55GB currently) but periodically the server will "freeze" during a backup (fans on, but no response at all) and requires a hard reboot to get going again. The first time it did it, i had no idea what caused it, but on subsequent occurrences I narrowed it down to the external hard drive itself - after the reboot, simply trying to access the drive via Windows Explorer on the server caused the se...

CRM Internal email lost
Hello I have a problem with emails generated within CRM 3, the emails are not delivered to any internal user's exchange mailbox but they are are beeing delivered outside our domain. Has anybody got a clue on why this is happening or how I can get the mails to be delivered to the Domain users? BR Claudio Any luck on this we are having the same problem. Thank you! "Claudio S" wrote: > Hello > I have a problem with emails generated within CRM 3, the emails are not > delivered to any internal user's exchange mailbox but they are are beeing > delivered outsid...

How to search against XML files in the file system?
Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred way to find terms in XML files located on the file system? Like finding stuff saved in XML files some of the blogs use these days to store their blog items? There can be lots and lots and lots of XML files on the file system to search. -- <%= Clinton Gallagher NET csgallagher AT metromilwaukee.com URL http://clintongallagher.metromilwaukee.com/ clintonG wrote: > Putting the search textbox on the page is the easy part. What's preferred > way to find terms in XML files located ...

Recovery excel file
Anybody knows if there is any free tools to recover a advanced excel file (using macro, graphics, formulas, and several formats)???????? Tks, Marcelo Rayol ...

Microsoft CRM 3.0 and Microsoft VPC
Dear Forum Members: I have installed Microsoft VPC 5.3.582.45, but I can't get Microsoft CRM 3.0 (VPC image) up and running on my external hard drive. Does anyone know how to point Microsoft VPC to the Microsoft CRM VPC image loaded on my external hard drive? Please help! Thanks, I think the CRM3 VPC has expired "Caseroo" <Caseroo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30C46BB4-71F1-41C1-8BB2-899325493D1E@microsoft.com... > Dear Forum Members: > > I have installed Microsoft VPC 5.3.582.45, but I can't get Microsoft CRM > 3.0 > (VPC i...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

Backup MX questions
After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I have realized the need for a backup MX server, basically someone who can catch my mail when my smtp server is unavailable and then allow me to seemlessly pick it up or deliver it to me when I am back up again. What is the best way to accomplish this? Mike <>< On Tue, 9 Aug 2005 08:41:17 -0500, "Mike Strout" <m i k e s t r o u t @ h o t m a i l . c o m> wrote: >After nearly a week of downtime for my Exchange2k server a few weeks ago, I >have realized the need for a backup MX ser...

Appending XML to an existing XML file
Hey all, I've read a few articles about speed and XML processing - so I just want to make sure that I'm using the right strategy for what I want to achieve. I have an XML file that I'm appending to every time a user submits their information. Right now I'm using XMLDocument (Load and Save) in conjuncture with XmlElement objects. Is this the right approach or is there a faster approach? Thanks, Novice PS Here is a simplified version of what I'm doing: XmlDocument xdoc = new XmlDocument(); xdoc.Load("results.xml"); XmlNode node = xdoc.SelectSingleNode("...

copy rows to another file
Dear Experts I have following code,i need to copy desirde rows to new file (r.xls) on sheet 1. This code is able to copy desired rows from active sheet to sheet2(same file) based on values in column G. Would you please guide me? regards Sub Marine() Dim arrParts() As String Dim MyRange As Range, CopyRange As Range Dim LastRow As Long LastRow = Cells(Cells.Rows.Count, "G").End(xlUp).Row Set MyRange = Range("G1:G" & LastRow) response = InputBox("Enter rows to copy in the format nnn,nnn,nn") arrParts = Split(response, ",") For Each ...

File Naming for Picture Order
I want my photos within a folder to appear in a certain order and want them in numberical order; however, when I put them in numerical order and get past 9 (into 2 digit numbers) the order gets all whacky. bjackson wrote: > I want my photos within a folder to appear in a certain order and > want them in numberical order; however, when I put them in numerical > order and get past 9 (into 2 digit numbers) the order gets all whacky. ======================= Instead of... 1, 2, 3,.....10, 11, 12... Try this... 0001, 0002, 0003,.....0010, 0011, 0012 If you are batch renumbering the f...

How do I export .dba calendar files from a Palm Treo to Outlook?
Chapura won't do it. Something about a problem with calendar files. ...

How to get the handle of a Help file belonging to other process.
Hi all, In my application,I want to change the Index of a HTMLHELP file which belongs to a dialog running in other exe.In order to do this I need to find whether the Help file is open or not & get the handle of that to use HH_DISPLAY_INDEX .Is there any way to do this?? Note: I dont want to use FindWindow() as it is giving rise to some problems in my application.. Thanks in advance ...

Incoming mail server problem
I use supanet for the internet and recently had to clear off a load of viruses and worms from my computer. Computer is clean now. I've run up to date spybot. adaware and cleaned all viruses with Mcaffee internet security as well as running stinger. Sasser, and W32 pate.b were included. Have also completed all windows updates. Everything is working fine now except my email. When I restart the computer my incoming mail server keeps changing from pop.supanet.com to a strange number. 9eg 17.02.01.10 or something similar) It also changes the user name from 3612 to 3612@supanet.com (It adds su...

Small Business Server License
My Windows 2003 Small Business Server (run with virtual PC) will not start because the demo license has expired. I was advised by Microsoft to change the date on my computer, start the server, change the license key and start again with correct date. This does not work. Can anyone give me some advice? P�l WM-data Consulting Norway Hi: Has your copy of SBS server been activated? If not, and you have an action apck or MSDN subscription, you might be able to activate the software using your keys... When you click activation it should give you a "Cannot activate" message and gi...