GP 6-->7.5-->9

I'm testing for an upgrade from GP 6 to 7.5 to 9 on VMWARE, win2003 server,
sql2000sp3.

- I installed GP6, created all the companies and users
- Tested connectivity (ok)
- Restored production databases to test build
- Tested connectivity (ok)
- Ran 7.5 install
- After install required to run GP Utilities
- Logged on as dbase admin to Server: Dynamics
- Got welcome message, clicked Next and get the following message
"A previous version of Great Plains has been detected.
To proceed, you need to upgrade your Great Plains system database.
Other users are currently using Great Plains. You cannot update tables while
anyone is using Great Plains."
- Back and Next buttons are both greyed out. Only Cancel is avail.

Thought maybe I had some process running, so I tried to reboot, but still
get the same thing. I'm basically stuck here. What am I doing wrong? Am I
missing something? Please help. Thank you.
0
Genek (6)

Never mind, I figured it out. The mistake was in my first step. I should not
have created any user accounts. Apparently once they are associated to the
databases, they get locked even if not in use. So basically this step needs
to be left until the very end.

"Genek" wrote:

> I'm testing for an upgrade from GP 6 to 7.5 to 9 on VMWARE, win2003 server,
> sql2000sp3.
>
> - I installed GP6, created all the companies and users
> - Tested connectivity (ok)
> - Restored production databases to test build
> - Tested connectivity (ok)
> - Ran 7.5 install
> - After install required to run GP Utilities
> - Logged on as dbase admin to Server: Dynamics
> - Got welcome message, clicked Next and get the following message
> "A previous version of Great Plains has been detected.
> To proceed, you need to upgrade your Great Plains system database.
> Other users are currently using Great Plains. You cannot update tables while
> anyone is using Great Plains."
> - Back and Next buttons are both greyed out. Only Cancel is avail.
>
> Thought maybe I had some process running, so I tried to reboot, but still
> get the same thing. I'm basically stuck here. What am I doing wrong? Am I
> missing something? Please help. Thank you.
0
Genek (6)
8/16/2006 10:37:01 AM
On second thought, I've got a weird situation here. If I create all my
companies in version 6, but do not restore the backups from production, then
I can install 7.5 and it updates everything correctly. If I do a restore from
production then run 7.5, I run into the same problem from my original post.
It restores user accounts with the databases. I'm confused because shouldn't
the upgrade work regardless of user accounts being attached to databases? The
only other option seems to be to do the version upgrade and restore the
databases after upgrading to 9. But I can't help but think that it will
reject the restore since the backups are from versoin 6.

I don't know, can anyone please help me out.
Thanks!

"Genek" wrote:

> Never mind, I figured it out. The mistake was in my first step. I should not
> have created any user accounts. Apparently once they are associated to the
> databases, they get locked even if not in use. So basically this step needs
> to be left until the very end.
>
> "Genek" wrote:
>
> > I'm testing for an upgrade from GP 6 to 7.5 to 9 on VMWARE, win2003 server,
> > sql2000sp3.
> >
> > - I installed GP6, created all the companies and users
> > - Tested connectivity (ok)
> > - Restored production databases to test build
> > - Tested connectivity (ok)
> > - Ran 7.5 install
> > - After install required to run GP Utilities
> > - Logged on as dbase admin to Server: Dynamics
> > - Got welcome message, clicked Next and get the following message
> > "A previous version of Great Plains has been detected.
> > To proceed, you need to upgrade your Great Plains system database.
> > Other users are currently using Great Plains. You cannot update tables while
> > anyone is using Great Plains."
> > - Back and Next buttons are both greyed out. Only Cancel is avail.
> >
> > Thought maybe I had some process running, so I tried to reboot, but still
> > get the same thing. I'm basically stuck here. What am I doing wrong? Am I
> > missing something? Please help. Thank you.
0
Genek (6)
8/17/2006 12:04:01 AM
After restoring the DYNAMICS database to your test SQL instance, check
whether there are any records in the ACTIVITY table.
If so, remove them ALL.
You should now be able to do the upgrade!

------
Robert

"Genek" <Genek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On second thought, I've got a weird situation here. If I create all my
> companies in version 6, but do not restore the backups from production,
> then
> I can install 7.5 and it updates everything correctly. If I do a restore
> from
> production then run 7.5, I run into the same problem from my original
> post.
> It restores user accounts with the databases. I'm confused because
> shouldn't
> the upgrade work regardless of user accounts being attached to databases?
> The
> only other option seems to be to do the version upgrade and restore the
> databases after upgrading to 9. But I can't help but think that it will
> reject the restore since the backups are from versoin 6.
>
> I don't know, can anyone please help me out.
> Thanks!
>
> "Genek" wrote:
>
>> Never mind, I figured it out. The mistake was in my first step. I should
>> not
>> have created any user accounts. Apparently once they are associated to
>> the
>> databases, they get locked even if not in use. So basically this step
>> needs
>> to be left until the very end.
>>
>> "Genek" wrote:
>>
>> > I'm testing for an upgrade from GP 6 to 7.5 to 9 on VMWARE, win2003
>> > server,
>> > sql2000sp3.
>> >
>> > - I installed GP6, created all the companies and users
>> > - Tested connectivity (ok)
>> > - Restored production databases to test build
>> > - Tested connectivity (ok)
>> > - Ran 7.5 install
>> > - After install required to run GP Utilities
>> > - Logged on as dbase admin to Server: Dynamics
>> > - Got welcome message, clicked Next and get the following message
>> > "A previous version of Great Plains has been detected.
>> > To proceed, you need to upgrade your Great Plains system database.
>> > Other users are currently using Great Plains. You cannot update tables
>> > while
>> > anyone is using Great Plains."
>> > - Back and Next buttons are both greyed out. Only Cancel is avail.
>> >
>> > Thought maybe I had some process running, so I tried to reboot, but
>> > still
>> > get the same thing. I'm basically stuck here. What am I doing wrong? Am
>> > missing something? Please help. Thank you.

0
Robert
8/17/2006 7:46:25 AM
Thanks for the reply Robert. I tried deleting that table, and it lets me
proceed with the upgrade, but then I can't connect to the database since it
needs that table. I'll try just deleting the records in the table.

Let me ask this question. In retrospect, do you think the reason for this
problem is because the backup on production was done while users were
connected? The table would end up being backed up with activity recorder but
when you restore that table to the new server, there is no "normal" way to
log that user off. I haven't tried this yet, but I'm betting that if you
start sql service in single-user mode, then do the backup, this entire
ACTIVITY business can be avoided. What do you think?

"Robert Cavill" wrote:

> After restoring the DYNAMICS database to your test SQL instance, check
> whether there are any records in the ACTIVITY table.
> If so, remove them ALL.
> You should now be able to do the upgrade!
>
> ------
> Robert
>
> "Genek" <Genek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On second thought, I've got a weird situation here. If I create all my
> > companies in version 6, but do not restore the backups from production,
> > then
> > I can install 7.5 and it updates everything correctly. If I do a restore
> > from
> > production then run 7.5, I run into the same problem from my original
> > post.
> > It restores user accounts with the databases. I'm confused because
> > shouldn't
> > the upgrade work regardless of user accounts being attached to databases?
> > The
> > only other option seems to be to do the version upgrade and restore the
> > databases after upgrading to 9. But I can't help but think that it will
> > reject the restore since the backups are from versoin 6.
> >
> > I don't know, can anyone please help me out.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Genek" wrote:
> >
> >> Never mind, I figured it out. The mistake was in my first step. I should
> >> not
> >> have created any user accounts. Apparently once they are associated to
> >> the
> >> databases, they get locked even if not in use. So basically this step
> >> needs
> >> to be left until the very end.

0
Genek (6)
8/17/2006 2:46:03 PM
Thanks for the help Robert. I deleted all the records and it does work now.

"Robert Cavill" wrote:

> After restoring the DYNAMICS database to your test SQL instance, check
> whether there are any records in the ACTIVITY table.
> If so, remove them ALL.
> You should now be able to do the upgrade!
>
> ------
> Robert
>
> "Genek" <Genek@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > On second thought, I've got a weird situation here. If I create all my
> > companies in version 6, but do not restore the backups from production,
> > then
> > I can install 7.5 and it updates everything correctly. If I do a restore
> > from
> > production then run 7.5, I run into the same problem from my original
> > post.
> > It restores user accounts with the databases. I'm confused because
> > shouldn't
> > the upgrade work regardless of user accounts being attached to databases?
> > The
> > only other option seems to be to do the version upgrade and restore the
> > databases after upgrading to 9. But I can't help but think that it will
> > reject the restore since the backups are from versoin 6.
> >
> > I don't know, can anyone please help me out.
> > Thanks!
> >
> > "Genek" wrote:
> >
> >> Never mind, I figured it out. The mistake was in my first step. I should
> >> not
> >> have created any user accounts. Apparently once they are associated to
> >> the
> >> databases, they get locked even if not in use. So basically this step
> >> needs
> >> to be left until the very end.

0
Genek (6)

Business Portal 2.5 Return opening a local copy of Great Plains
When upgrading to Business Portal 2.5 from 2.0 I was told by MBS tech support that due to security reasons, the feature to open a local copy of Great Plains was removed and I must connect using a terminal server. Please PUT THIS FEATURE BACK IN !!! This was a great feature and losing it will create more work from me. Here are some other reasons; 1) it is slower. 2) I have to log in 2 more times, first for WTS, second for Great Plains. 3) In order to log into Great Plains using WTS, I must first log out of my local running copy of Great Plains. 4) It is a security risk to open up WTS ...

Windows 7 upgrade Blue Screens my laptop. Maybe because of ATI?
Laptop's a Gateway NV52 with Vista Home Premium 64-bit. I'm upgrading to Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I ran the Upgrade Advisor and it told me to uninstall ATI Catalyst Install Manager, which I did. I put in the upgrade disk, and after Phase 1 (3 total phases), it had to restart to begin Phase 2. After the Gateway logo screen, it blue screened on me. The error code was 0x7b. It didn't even do the whole mini dump thing it usually does when it blue screens. It never even makes it to the Welcome scene (where the green bar is loading on the black screen, not the Vista wel...

IM 7.0 SP3
My customer is a trifle behind on upgrades, a server fell over, and I am desperately in search on Integration Manager 7.0 SP3 or later to rebuild it. Could anyone out here please assist me? If you don't find any help with IM 7.0 we might be able to help you with your integrations. Bridge Builder Software has an integration tool BBS.GreatPlains.Integration, it's not like IM and I expect it would need some customization to massage the data your integrating. Rick Rustad Bridge Builder Software, Inc. www.bridgebuildersoftware.com "Tony T" wrote: > My customer is a tr...

Windows 7 and Outlook 2007, domain laptop can do outlook via RPC but non domain laptop can not. SBS 2003
I have no problems connecting to exchange while outside the building with my domain laptop, username/password screen comes up, enter it in and i connect. If I try with a non domain laptop with the same settings and the same cert, i just keep getting a username/password screen. I tried all the combinations with no luck. I am currently using the free cert that I created when installing SBS 2003. We have bought a new cert to replace it though. Any idea's? Is it because of the cert? Thanks ...

LC module in GP
It will be so nice to see the functinality to record LC (Letter of Creditors) using GP-9 SQL 2000/2005 or any way to overcome this problem as this functionality is not available yet many GP users are facing a lot of problem even afraid to purchase the ERP because of this also Post Dated Cheques and the practice are an issue. Hope to see some more good work in GP to attract more client into it. Thanks and regards ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree&q...

Exchange 5.5 dissapearing attatchments
When a file is emailed internally or someone emails into our company with an attachement, the user gets "could not open one or more attachements" This happens in Outlook 2000 and XP. If the email gets opened in OWA the attachemtn just doesn't show up. Yet we can mail out attachments fine. We do have group shield, however it is not picking anything up. I just ran housecall.antivirus.com just to double check and it did not find anything either. We are at a total loss here Anything interesting in App Event log? Eric wrote: > When a file is emailed internally or someone...

is outlook 2003 compatible on windows 7
I just got a new PC with Windows 7 and I am wondering if my Outlook 2003 that I currently have on my old computer is compatible . If yes how do I transfer all datas . If not do I need to purchase Outlook 2007 ? Thank you It is compatible. The file you need is your Personal Folders file (*.pst) It's where all the mail, calendar, contacts etc are stored. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA01...

Great Plains Service Pack 6
I want to install Great Plains Service Pack 6 on our Server and Clients, do any have any comments related to any issues he faced when he tries to install this service Pack This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0071_01C50CF5.8E8C3000 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable There is a white paper on CustomerSource titled "Microsoft Business = Solutions-Great Plains Release 7.5 Service Pack FAQ's" that the = technical support team has created to answer many questions related to = servic...

Importing csv file into Outlook Express 6
I exported my email messages from earthlink totalaccess into a csv file. I can't seem to find a way to import this file into Outlook Express - any suggestions? Kath <Kath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I exported my email messages from earthlink totalaccess into a csv > file. I can't seem to find a way to import this file into Outlook > Express - any suggestions? 1) Ask in an Outlook Express newsgroup. 2) Export the Earthlink data in a format Outlook Express can import. CSV files are not one of the formats that will work for mail messages. -- Brian Tillman...

OT: Trend Micro
Trend Micro has released new VSAPI virus scan engine updates for the 32-bit and 64-bit scan engines. You should now have version 9.000.1003 virus scan engines. It is supposed to be much better at catching things, but I don't know if it is supposed to improve speeds. Also, they say that the Messaging Security Agent for WFBS Advanced should also update to 9.000.1003, but none of my systems have that one updated. Gregg Hill -- Gregg's pet peeves: First of all, what does a peeve look like, and why would anyone want one as a pet? Peeve #1: Apostrophes: when in d...

Location of MS Project Cache Folder in Windows 7 OS
Hi I'm trying to clear the MS project cache of corrupt DAT files but I can't seem to locate the cache folder in Windows 7. Can anyone give me the path? Thanks! LisaD -- You can find the location on your own hard drive by clicking Tools - Locate Project Cache - Cache Settings. The Cache Location field in the Cache Settings dialog will tell you the location. Hope this helps. -- Dale A. Howard [MVP] VP of Educational Services msProjectExperts http://www.msprojectexperts.com http://www.projectserverexperts.com "We write the books on Project Server" ...

Backup using Windows Server 2003 4 Exchange 5.5
What I would like to know is that can you use the Backup Exchange 5.5 using windows Server 2003. In Windows there is a backup program. If yes is there any information available about this? Any information about the recovery of possible problems. Thanks D ...

Estimated Data size for 3-5 years
Dears, I was looking for a document that give me an idea or talking about how to estimate Microsoft Dynamics GP database Growth and size. Any one could help me in this? I found an article on MSDN but it is about SQL server and it needs to go throw all GP tables and finde the size of each field and calulate that number. I have the following GP system: POP module FA module And Financial Module Any help? Best regards, Hi Hasan, It really depends on the number of transactions that go through your system. If I had to guess at an average, I would say a database in use for 3-5 years would ...

e-connect, division won't post to GP database
Hi, I am working on the last field we need to get working for our Great Plains data transfer which is division. The field name is called DIVISIONCODE_I. The field makes it to the xml file which econnect uses to insert into the database for great plains but it doesn't make it to the table and it isn't giving me an exception error. The division codes i'm using are all set up in the great plains database. Any help on this would be appreciated. thank you -- AHIhelp AHIhelp: I had the same issue on previous version of eConnect (if you are talking about the DIVISIONCODE_I pa...

SQL 2000 with GP another application
Hi there we are currently assessing an "issue tracking" software which also uses SQL server. We are already running SQL for our GP 8.0 and I am curious to know if we can run this other application along with GP. This application is totally seperate and will not link with GP, also would be used by a totally seperate group then the GP users. We have suffient hardware in the server...fro the extra load. Any one have any good links...or real experience with something like this?? TIA Tami There should be no difficulty. One SQL Server can support many applications. Of course ...

Integration Manager RM Cash Receipts after 9.0 upgrade
Our cash receipts integration is running at 15% of the speed when we were on version 7.5 (we upgraded to 9.0). Due to our volume, we can no longer import all cash receipts in a 20 day time frame, so we really need help! No changes to our header or distribution file formats. I have re-created the integration from scratch, but that did not help. All ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you, -- Greg DeBacker Do you have a SQL DBA? You should have your DBA (or else your VAR) run the standard optimizations and integrity checks against your company database, and also Update Statisti...

DPM 2007 in a Backup Exec 12.5 environment
Hi, My customer will run virtualization with Hyper-V R2. They consider to purchase SMSD (system centre enterpise datacenter) offering to complement the virtualization management. My challenge is how to position the DPM 2007 (with SMSD) with the existing Backup Exec 12.5 backup in place. The Backup Exec server backs up to its tape library. The DPM 2007 will be installed on the Hyper-V host servers to provide a self-contain solution. But the VMs backed up with DPM will be to disks. Rgds Marco Short/long-term protection can be done directly from VM server host ...

Pocket Outlook can not send SMTP on Exchange 5.5
Anyone who has had the same problem ? I'm using POP3 to download messages to a Ipaq handheld with Pocket Windwos 2003. Download is fine but sending via SMTP does not work. Other public servers work fine, I have tested with telnet, the SMTP-server does answer then. Anyone with a clue on how to fix this Thanks /Thomas ...

Outlook 2003 #9
I'm using Outlook 2003 and I've noticed that when I create a new user in Active Directory, the person does not show up in my Global Address list for a couple of days. The user will appear in the Global list for anyone using Outlook 2000 and 2002 but not 2003. Is this a sync problem and if so, how can I force a sync immediately? Thanx. Dan, Sorry Im not able to help on this but how did you get OL 2002 to view your Global list.? Thanks -j >-----Original Message----- >I'm using Outlook 2003 and I've noticed that when I create >a new user in Active Directory, ...

Basic GP setup
I'm a technical consultant so I can't believe I am even asking this question. But here goes... I run an outsourced IT consultancy. We focus mostly on networks, servers and desktops; we have no software expertise, though we've been around enough to know we don't like it. :-) We use a variety of packages to run our business: Finances (Qbooks), payroll (Qbooks), time and expense tracking (Journyx), CRM (salesforce), and help desk (Revelation.) All are wonderful little silos and do great at their assigned task. But you know the limitation: sharing and leveraging between silos is ...

Need to select top 5 rows
I want to set up a select to get the sum of a value but I only want to sum up the first 5 rows. Example: select sum(x) from tableA where **ROWCOUNT <= 5 order by y Is this possible in VBA/Access?? Example? Thanks Try this --- select TOP 5 sum(x) from tableA order by y; -- KARL DEWEY Build a little - Test a little "AJ" wrote: > I want to set up a select to get the sum of a value but I only want to sum up > the first 5 rows. > > Example: > > select sum(x) > from tableA > where **ROWCOUNT <= 5 > order by y > > Is this possible in VBA/...

connect computer not working with windows 7 Professional
I am trying to Join a Windows 7 machine to the domain, I receive an error - "Run the wizard to complete networking setup" with no wizard appearing, The "fix" is explained at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926505, but when I run the patch on the SBS 2003, I receive another error, "already installed". If it is installed, why doesn't the wizard run on the Windows 7 machine? Any help much appreciated! One additional Item, I am getting a warning (X) that to join the computer to the network I must be a ,ember of the local administrators group (wh...

GP Upgrade
I have just upgraded my GP from SP2 version 10.0.1237 to a version 10.0.1579 the upgrade went fine with no problems so i was a really happy, but all that happines went away after a few users came up accross couple errors: 1) Smart List Error: An error occurred during the export process all export tasks were not completed 2)Trying launch I9: a get/change operation on table 'HR_i9' cannot find the table dynamics. and there is a SQL error: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] Invalid object name '.HRORI012'. Thanks for your Help ...

Unable to display the folder #5
Hello, I'm running Outlook 2003 and Exchange server 2003. When trying yo display some search folders and the deleted items folder I get the message "Unable to display the folder. Could not complete the oertation. One or more parameter values are not not valid.". This happens only when I have configure my account to ues Cached Exchange Mode. Any suggestion on how to solve this problem? Regards, Jon ...

Deleted SMTP Address
Hi, We host multiple domains. A division became succesful and took their respective domain name (web, email, etc.) and moved it to another provider and are now out there on there own. I have used the ADModify2.1 to remove (at least to the best of my knowledge) all remnants of the old domain name (checking all containers). I have deleted the domain name from all recipient policies (not just unchecked the mark), forced a rebuild, rebuilt the offline address book as well. Emailing any of the former employees (new GAL) immediately returns a 5.1.1 error. I have checked both internal DNS...