GL figures - best practice

what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures so
users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.

do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.

--
Linda W.
0

Linda,

You mean when you are starting up a new company?

If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
them in as GL transactions via IM.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP

"LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> so
> users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
>
> do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
>

> --
> Linda W.

0
victoria (3340)
4/23/2009 5:26:37 PM
I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
--
Richard L. Whaley
Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008

http://www.AccoladePublications.com

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Linda,
>
> You mean when you are starting up a new company?
>
> If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> them in as GL transactions via IM.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
>

> "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > so
> > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> >
> > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> >

> > --
> > Linda W.

0
info4071 (3005)
4/23/2009 5:59:00 PM
One more thing, If you going to bring in balances as of 12/31/2007 (as
opposed to 01/01/2008), you will need to perform a year-end closing to roll
over beginning balances to 2008.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Richard Whaley -- MVP 2006-2008" wrote:

> I agree with Victoria.  Import them as GL transactions and post.  Bring in
> summary net change "transactions" only unless the customer needs more.
> --
> Richard L. Whaley
> Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008
> Documentation for Software Users

> http://www.AccoladePublications.com
>

> "Victoria [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Linda,
> >
> > You mean when you are starting up a new company?
> >
> > If so, unless someone needs the detail imported into GP for other reasons, I
> > bring in a beginning balance and monthly net changes only.  For example,
> > let's say you're starting to use GP with January 2009, your fiscal year ends
> > in December and you want to be able to create monthly comparative statements
> > that include 2008.  In that case I would bring in the ending balance for
> > 12/31/2007 and monthly net changes for every month in 2008.  I would bring
> > them in as GL transactions via IM.
> >
> > --
> > Victoria Yudin
> > Dynamics GP MVP
> > Flexible Solutions - home of GP Reports
> > http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> > blog: http://www.victoriayudin.com
> >

> > "LindaW" <LindaW@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > what really is the best practice method for brining in monthly GL figures
> > > so
> > > users can get comparative statements this year/lastyr.
> > >
> > > do you bring in all the old detail journals? or do you load via a
> > > maintenance or IM the historical balance for each month in some file.
> > >

> > > --
> > > Linda W.

0
MarianoGomez (3440)

What is the best product for....
Greetings, What is the best product to avoid (or control) SPAM for an exchange server 5.5 users? TIA On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:31:53 -0400, "Gillies" <easternguy@hotmail.com> wrote: > >Greetings, > >What is the best product to avoid (or control) SPAM for an exchange server >5.5 users? > >TIA > You can do your user's a big favor by not accepting mail for addresses that do not exist. Unfortunately, you are using 5.5 which does not have the capability of filtering those out like Exch 2003 can, but there are 3rd party products that will do that f...

I cant seem to figure out how to use Proper in excel. The help op.
I keep trying to figure out how to change data in excel so that instead of all CAPS, it will have the first letter be capatalized and the rest small cap. (its names and addresses that I'm trying to merge to a word doc.) The help option is 0 help. It errors and will not tell me how to change the whole doc at all. Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/case.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany deborahpib wrote: > I keep trying to figure out how to change data in excel so that > instead of all CAPS, it will have the first letter be capatalized and > the rest small ca...

Wherre best to place code
I have an excel workbook that uses active -x controls. It allows the user to model the performance of a micro-scale wind turbine (small device that fits onto a rooftop). I have VBA code that is located for each worksheet, some that is contained in Forms and other code that is located in modules. My question is: in terms of keeping the workbook small and running quickly is it Ok to have code for each worksheet or place it in modules? thanks, luke -- luke ------------------------------------------------------------------------ luke's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?...

HELP!!! Can't get forumla figured out!
Hello, This is my first posting to this forum, and I haven't been able to search using the right criteria (not even sure what I would search under) to find what I need so I thought I would post a thread with the question. I have an access query that gives me the results in a spreadsheet layout, with 2 worksheets on it. I need to create a forumla that will look at the data on the 2nd sheet and compare the values in 2 particular columns with the value in one cell on the 1st sheet and populate a different cell on the 1st sheet with a count of entries from the 2nd sheet. If Sheet B, Colu...

Which Version is Best?
Which version of MS Outlook is the most trouble free and the easiest to backup? I do not see all that much difference in the various versions except each new one get a little better, I use Outlook 2003 and I feel its a big step above the rest. -- Tedd Riggs PDA Square Content Developer www.pdasquare.com "glenf" <ccim@jps.net> wrote in message news:zGSNb.11868$1e.3960@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net... > Which version of MS Outlook is the most trouble free and the easiest to > backup? > > --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus ...

Best Practice for large number of checkbox/bit attributes
I am working on a deployment of CRM 3.0 for my company and one of the requirements is to track a large number of checkboxes (bit fields) for contacts. These are used to track skill sets, certifications, and other similar data. There are about 125 of these items and they could add to this list over time. Looking at this requirement from my ASP.NET background, I would easily solve this with a lookup table of "skills" with all the skills listed and allow the user to add skills and populate a "user_skills" table based on what they added. However, I just can't get my min...

Keeping track of which listbox has focus: Best approach question
Access 2007 working in compatibility mode with a 2003 database. I have three list boxes on a tab page. I also have buttons that operate based on which list box has focus. So my approach has been to keep track of which list box has focus by having the following kind of code in the On Got Focus function of each list box: Private Sub lbx_suspendedIndefinitely_manageMyTasks_GotFocus() If Not (IsNull(Me.lbx_suspendedIndefinitely_manageMyTasks)) Then Set suspendedListBoxWithFocus = Me.lbx_suspendedIndefinitely_manageMyTasks End If End Sub in which suspendedListBoxW...

Page 1 of X
I think I already know the answer to this, but forgive me for asking it again. On the lower right corner of views, CRM shows Page 1 with the navigation arrows. Is there any way to show page 1 of X, where X is somehow predetermined? Thanks for any help you can offer. -- Steve Luc Senior Consultant InfoGrow Corp (330)929-1353 x222 Unfortunately, no. This feature has yet to be enhanced to "jump to" the last page. If you have access to SQL, you could do a Count query against the entity's filtered view. But as for the CRM UI, you're stuck clicking and clicking... --MD ...

Smartlist GL Trial Balance
Novice trying to generate a general ledger summary trial balance using Smartlist. GP Vers 10. Stuck on which tables/fields/ hold the account totals. -- RG CF Egg There is already an out of the box smartlist that does this. In SmartList, click on Account Summary and expand. You can now apply search filter for specific accounts or periods. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com The Dynamics GP Blogster at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com "RG" wrote: > Novice trying to generate a general...

SQL 2005 Best Practices for backups
I have been working on the conversion from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 for best practices. I have come a long way. I only have 47 issues whcih I already knew. However, I am having trouble finding the best way to go from SIMPL to FULL mode on backups. Rich Lawson On Tue, 17 Aug 2010 23:09:57 -0700, "Richard Lawson" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote: >I have been working on the conversion from SQL 2000 to SQL 2005 for best >practices. I have come a long way. I only have 47 issues whcih I already >knew. However, I am having trouble finding the best way to go from SIMPL...

Is there a "best practice" for establishing isolated development, quality assurance, and production SharePoint instances?
I'm attempting to understand how a successful site handles development versus qa versus production environments for SharePoint. What I mean is this - one could have one sharepoint instance, and use sharepoint permissions to limit the number of people who see work on a site before it is ready for "production". The problem with this approach is that if the site being developed happens to have need of lists, workflows, etc. that are in use in production, then there is the potential for test data to show up in production. And of course, there is also the hassles that arise ...

how do i arrange survey data best for a pivot table?
There are pivot table instructions and links on Jon Peltier's web site: http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm Mormonchick wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

ability to accrue payroll to reflect in GL exp date not paydate
Ability to accrue payroll expenses to the date that work was actually complete not the date of the payroll check. Leave the payroll items that should follow the checkdate with that posting date to GL but allow the expense items to match the expense to correct period in GL. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader an...

Project Accounting and GL Budgeting
I a curious how people are matching their PA budgets to the GL. Since the two don't integrate, are you entering GL budget amounts for the project revenue and expenses in both GL and PA? Any feedback would be appreciated. thank you. ...

Line of best fit on a Histogram
Hi al Does anyone know if its possible to draw a line of best fit on a histogram. I have worked all the line of best fit points but i cannot seem to get it to draw itself into the histogram Thanks for all your help! Jazz ...

Best way to add a chart?
Earlier I had asked for some help on how to proceed with this application. I have moved forward a little on my own but now I'm at a point where I really need a pro's recommendation. I am trying to build an application that will track printer usage. I am using a search interface that I downloaded form Allen Browne's web site (excellent stuff!!). My concept is this; 1. Interface allows user to choose search criteria based on type of pages printed, specific printer, and time frame of printer usage audit. 2. After user selects the criteria the form displays the filtered data and ...

Any affiliates intersted in my offers? the best affiliate program on the web!!!
Hi SUPER-affiliates/ list owners/ promoters/ webmasters, Do you want a great backend product that is selling like crazy this week? My readers are running to get this NEW CONCEPT! I�m selling more this week than I ever did in the past months with any other program. My commissions are climbing very fast. I�m really excited! This is the best ad copy I�ve read in months! It sells. If you haven't felt the shockwave yet, stop everything you are doing and read this to be one of the first promoters. The inner circles of the shockwave are raking in the profits like fury. This will pay us fo...

How best to enter paper Capital gains and return of capital
I hold mutual funds that report both capital gains and return of capital at the end of year for tax purposes. Neither of these are actually paid out. And they do not increase the number shares of the fund. Rather these "paper" transactions will only be reflected by the change of the fund value. Appreciate any advice on what is the best way to handle (enter them) in Money 2006 so that : 1: these "paper" transactions can be tracked for tax purpose; and 2: their effect on the cost bsis and future capital gains/loss will be correct. Thanks P.S. Also appreciate any...

Inventory Adjustment Post to GL
Do inventory adjustments post to the general ledger as a batch? I don't see a place to set up where this hits under the "Assign GL Accounts" screen in Store Ops. ...

YOU ARE THE BEST TO...
ACESS THIS LINKS TO MAKE MONEY: http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1709 http://www.uvme.biz/422640AG http://www.sendearnings.com/?r=antoniobr http://www.alertpay.com/?YPZiZqN1VNgNPq4b76HWlA%3d%3d https://www.surveysavvy.com?id=3184290&action=join http://www.AWSurveys.com/HomeMain.cfm?RefID=mr.anthony http://www.cashfiesta.com/php/join.php?ref=srantonio http://www.youractionspay.com/?yapid=sr.antonio http://www.resource-a-day.com/ez8/jan/19.html?AntonioCarlos ...

Best way to get started with VBA?
Hi. A lot of replies by the MVPs include the statement that the OP will need to use VBA. What's the best way to get started? Are there any "VBA for Dummies" type books or development tools? Are there repositories of source code that the beginning VBA programmer can look at? Question: Does Outlook (2003) out of the box contain VBA code that is executed when a user clicks on a button or fills out a form? While Outlook is running, is there a way to watch this code execute and see how it changes values or fills in fields? This question came up in my mind because of the dedica...

Best way to send from Public Folder
We would like to set up a public folder and have four users respond to mail sent to the folder. Each would monitor the folder, and if mail arrived, one would reply, the others would see it marked as Read and not respond. We want the original sender to see a reply from the helpdesk as having come from the public folder address (helpdesk@) rather than from the user. How do we do that? Thanks, Neal On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 10:14:18 +1300, "Neal" <neal@apoyar.co.nz> wrote: >We would like to set up a public folder and have four users respond to mail >sent to the folder...

How do you put a line of best fit on a graph?
I plotted my data on a scatterplot graph, and I need to put a line of best fit on my graph for my data. How do I do this?? Hi, You can add a trend line. Select the data series. Right click and add Trendline. Have a read of Tushar's information on the subject. http://tushar-mehta.com/publish_train/data_analysis/16.htm Cheers Andy -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info "Lauren" <Lauren@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8FEFC0AA-3648-4A15-A881-29B62DC01EB8@microsoft.com... >I plotted my data on a scatterplot graph, and I need to...

Sales Figures and performance
Newby looking for help. Trying to format spreadsheet so that data entered in ENTRY worksheet can be dispursed to sheets 1,2,3. Have the workbook working now with MAIN worksheet but data entry ungainly as ultimately there will be 40 to 50 sales people. I have to work with just these three #'s (YTD Sales,YTD Paid's, YTD Cancels) they are updated weekly, but I am looking for weekly sales figures. Is this possible? Have bought Book on VBA programing but company does not like macros. See your other post - assume you tried posting a number of times to get the attachment to load. ...

fixed asset cost in gl
Hi, I have some points regarding the fixed asset 1.I am migrating Fixed asset from old system to GP. In GP Asset General information I am using type: USED and Property Type: Amortizable Book(with LTD amount) & Account data is entered by using macros, after this when i take the report of inventory by class, this report is mataching with my old system.then i need this things to in Financial. 2.When I run gl posting the COST and LTD amount is knocking off. why? 3.The Depreciation amount of above enetred data is reflecting in the GL. So please suggest me the solution. With Regards ...