FRx Account Filtering

 I'm trying to use the account filtering feature on the account/trans detail
tab of report options to include all accounts which have, say 11 in the
second and third digits of the account.  In our case this means using an
account mask of
?11???-?????-?? which fits our account structure.
The result is inconsistent.  I get mostly accounts which match the pattern,
but also a few that don't.
What am I doing wrong?
Thanks for any advice.
0
leaglesh (8)

When you say I am mostly getting accounts that match the pattern, what are
you getting that doesn't?
This will help in detemining what  you are "doing wrong"

I am not sure what you are trying to ultimately get to by using the filter
in the account/trans tab but depending on what you are trying to do the
filtering may be more effective in a Row format or column layout Possibly
even in a tree?

Just a thought...
Have you tried using the filter in the column layout to see these values in
one column?

"leaglesh" wrote:

>  I'm trying to use the account filtering feature on the account/trans detail
> tab of report options to include all accounts which have, say 11 in the
> second and third digits of the account.  In our case this means using an
> account mask of
> ?11???-?????-?? which fits our account structure.
> The result is inconsistent.  I get mostly accounts which match the pattern,
> but also a few that don't.
> What am I doing wrong?
> Thanks for any advice.
It is odd, but I seem to get all of the cost centers that match the mask, but
also get 3 or 4 cost centers which do not have 11 in the 2nd and 3rd digit
(example).
I've not  used filtering in the row or column layout.  Since I had a report
that worked when run for all cost centers, I was just trying to shut down the
number that were included in the report by using the account filtering.
I will have a look at using filters in the row or column layouts.
Thanks
Laura
"Annette Brown" wrote:

> When you say I am mostly getting accounts that match the pattern, what are
> you getting that doesn't?
> This will help in detemining what  you are "doing wrong"
>
> I am not sure what you are trying to ultimately get to by using the filter
> in the account/trans tab but depending on what you are trying to do the
> filtering may be more effective in a Row format or column layout Possibly
> even in a tree?
>
> Just a thought...
> Have you tried using the filter in the column layout to see these values in
> one column?
>
> "leaglesh" wrote:
>
> >  I'm trying to use the account filtering feature on the account/trans detail
> > tab of report options to include all accounts which have, say 11 in the
> > second and third digits of the account.  In our case this means using an
> > account mask of
> > ?11???-?????-?? which fits our account structure.
> > The result is inconsistent.  I get mostly accounts which match the pattern,
> > but also a few that don't.
> > What am I doing wrong?
> > Thanks for any advice.
0
leaglesh (8)
4/17/2006 4:13:03 PM
I have never used just the filter in the account/trans tab.  I am not sure if
this just effects the report by adjusting subtotals, but your filtering would
definately work with a tree.  It would also give you greater flexibility.

I would suggest trying the tree option.  The tree will allow you to "group"
one or many centers together and get a separate report for each cost center
"grouping".  There are numerous way to limit which cost center print and how
far down you "drill down into a report."

You could still get a summary version so you can see all cost centers, but
then you could drill down into just the 11 cost center and get a separate
report if needed.

This probably goes way beyond what you were originally asking, but give you
must  more flexiblity for analysis.

Annette

"leaglesh" wrote:

> It is odd, but I seem to get all of the cost centers that match the mask, but
> also get 3 or 4 cost centers which do not have 11 in the 2nd and 3rd digit
> (example).
> I've not  used filtering in the row or column layout.  Since I had a report
> that worked when run for all cost centers, I was just trying to shut down the
> number that were included in the report by using the account filtering.
> I will have a look at using filters in the row or column layouts.
> Thanks
> Laura
> "Annette Brown" wrote:
>
> > When you say I am mostly getting accounts that match the pattern, what are
> > you getting that doesn't?
> > This will help in detemining what  you are "doing wrong"
> >
> > I am not sure what you are trying to ultimately get to by using the filter
> > in the account/trans tab but depending on what you are trying to do the
> > filtering may be more effective in a Row format or column layout Possibly
> > even in a tree?
> >
> > Just a thought...
> > Have you tried using the filter in the column layout to see these values in
> > one column?
> >
> > "leaglesh" wrote:
> >
> > >  I'm trying to use the account filtering feature on the account/trans detail
> > > tab of report options to include all accounts which have, say 11 in the
> > > second and third digits of the account.  In our case this means using an
> > > account mask of
> > > ?11???-?????-?? which fits our account structure.
> > > The result is inconsistent.  I get mostly accounts which match the pattern,
> > > but also a few that don't.
> > > What am I doing wrong?
> > > Thanks for any advice.
Thanks.  I have lots of experience with trees.....I have one with >1000 lines.
Since the number of cost centers that have this particular pattern of digits
grows each month, I was looking for something that I didn't have to maintain
(tree).  But then I'd better have another look at trees in general, prehaps
there is a way to filter in there without actually defining every cost center
to include.
Thanks for the hints.

"Annette Brown" wrote:

> I have never used just the filter in the account/trans tab.  I am not sure if
> this just effects the report by adjusting subtotals, but your filtering would
> definately work with a tree.  It would also give you greater flexibility.
>
> I would suggest trying the tree option.  The tree will allow you to "group"
> one or many centers together and get a separate report for each cost center
> "grouping".  There are numerous way to limit which cost center print and how
> far down you "drill down into a report."
>
> You could still get a summary version so you can see all cost centers, but
> then you could drill down into just the 11 cost center and get a separate
> report if needed.
>
> This probably goes way beyond what you were originally asking, but give you
> must  more flexiblity for analysis.
>
> Annette
>
> "leaglesh" wrote:
>
> > It is odd, but I seem to get all of the cost centers that match the mask, but
> > also get 3 or 4 cost centers which do not have 11 in the 2nd and 3rd digit
> > (example).
> > I've not  used filtering in the row or column layout.  Since I had a report
> > that worked when run for all cost centers, I was just trying to shut down the
> > number that were included in the report by using the account filtering.
> > I will have a look at using filters in the row or column layouts.
> > Thanks
> > Laura
> > "Annette Brown" wrote:
> >
> > > When you say I am mostly getting accounts that match the pattern, what are
> > > you getting that doesn't?
> > > This will help in detemining what  you are "doing wrong"
> > >
> > > I am not sure what you are trying to ultimately get to by using the filter
> > > in the account/trans tab but depending on what you are trying to do the
> > > filtering may be more effective in a Row format or column layout Possibly
> > > even in a tree?
> > >
> > > Just a thought...
> > > Have you tried using the filter in the column layout to see these values in
> > > one column?

0
leaglesh (8)
4/17/2006 4:34:26 PM
You might also look at account filter on the Column format. Used with or
without a tree it would limit the accounts reported.

Also, thanks to this thread I have, for the first time, looked at the
filter on the Acct/Trans tab. Would be interested in any comment from
someone that has actually used this feature.
Thanks

0
noyb4649 (154)