Freight field on a PO, Landed Costs

We have used a non-inventory item named 'FREIGHT' to charge for the related
freight costs when creating PO's for the past several years.

I was curious about using the Freight field instead.

Can someone explain why this is used or rather why it should be used due to
our non use of it?

Also, in a test company, I just entered a PO and with a amount in the
freight field and when I received the PO the freight amount did not come
over.  It was greyed out.

Then when I match the invoice the freight amount was $0.00.

I assume there is a setup problem however, I cannot resolve it.

Any help understanding this would be appreciated.

Note: I really want to use landed costs.  My item costs usually repsesent
30-60% of my total costs.  I am also researching this today.

--
Christian S
South Carolina

Christian,

The Freight field is used to record freight costs on an invoice.
Although you can enter freight in the Freight field on a PO, it does
not come over to the receiving or invoicing transaction because there
can be many receipts/invoices to one PO.  The Freight field on the PO
is nothing more than a reference field.  That's why the Freight field
is greyed out on a receiving transaction.  You don't actually enter
freight costs until matching or entering an invoice because in many
cases, you don't know how much the freight will be until you've
received the invoice, what with fuel surcharges, etc.  This is not a
setup issue.  The system is behaving as designed.

If your shipping charges are a large proportion of your total costs,
you should be all means look at landed costs.  Keep in mind however,
that landed costs entails another layer of data input to process your
receipts/invoices.

Hope this helps,

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com
blog: www.gp2themax.blogspot.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)
10/3/2009 9:36:07 PM
Hi Christian--

Sometimes I will advise clients to use a freight line item, as you do,
because it does enable another level of tracking (since you can report
on the freight line item a bit more extensively than on the freight in
the footer) also you can set up and track different kinds of freight
using different item numbers with different account numbers.  Plus, as
Frank points out, freight as a line item will come from the PO and be
received/invoiced like other items as opposed to the freight amount in
the footer.

Take care,
Christina
0
turtlesoup00 (221)
10/4/2009 12:39:24 PM
Thanks for the response Frank.  As always, I appreciate your help.

My ultimate goal is to have a better representation of my item costs.

I really would like to be able to better evaluate item profitability and see
the true (landed) cost.

I did some research into setting up Landed Costs but finding the right mix
and how to process them is going to take some more time to fully understand.

I would love to ask another question but I don't even know where to start
due to the many different ways we purchase items and the various options
within GP.

--
Christian S
South Carolina

Can you give us an example of one of the ways you purchase an item?
Maybe if we can give a solution to one item, it wil make solutions to
other items clearer.

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

Get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com
0
fhamelly1 (1404)
10/5/2009 11:31:01 AM
Great!

Here are two examples.  We use a non-inventory item called ‘FREIGHT’ to
account for shipping costs.

Example 1
We get product from Vendor A and use vendor B to transport the product.
Therefore, we have two PO’s and must receive both PO when the product
arrives.  (In our busy season it can be tricky to match the product PO with
the right freight PO)
I will limt this example to 2 line items.  Usually it is more.

Vendor A’s PO would contain (Product)
9 tons of ‘Item A’ @ $100/ton
15 tons of ‘Item B’ @ $110/ton

Vendor B’s PO would contain (Freight)
1 unit of ‘FREIGHT’ @ $1,200

It would be nice to see the costs as $150/ton and $160/ton respectively
instead of $100/ton and $120/ton.

Example 2
The same example as above except Vendor A transports the material.
Vendor A’s PO would contain
9 tons of ‘Item A’ @ $100/ton
15 tons of ‘Item B’ @ $110/ton
1 unit of ‘FREIGHT’ @ $1,200

Once again, it would be nice to see the costs as $150/ton and $160/ton
respectively instead of $100/ton and $120/ton.

Hope this helps explain my situation.  Thanks for asking me to provide
additional information.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

--
Christian S
South Carolina

You may have a couple of options here.  The scenarios you present are
exactly what Landed Cost is used for.  However, as I mentioned in a
using Landed Cost.  I devised a method for a client of mine to
accomplish nearly the same result using Material Overhead.  The only
catch here is, you must have the Manufcturing module to utilize it.
If you're interested, you can read more about it here -
http://msdynamicsworld.com/story/financial-management/use-microsoft-dynamics-gp-get-handle-impact-spiking-energy-costs-freight-

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com

get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)
10/7/2009 11:59:36 AM
Hi Christian--

If you are interested in understanding more about landed cost, you can
check out these blog posts as well...

http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2009/05/land-of-landed-costs-part-1.html
http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2009/05/land-of-landed-costs-part-2.html

Take care,
Christina

0
turtlesoup00 (221)
10/7/2009 12:06:21 PM
I don't believe that we have the Manufacturing module.   We have the basic gp
package and not advance management, although I have considered it in the past.
I will read up on the Manufacturing module and Overhead Applied Cost.
I may post back if i can find some additional questions.
Thanks for the info.

--
Christian S
South Carolina

"Frank Hamelly, MCP-GP, MCT, MVP" wrote:

> Christian,
>
> You may have a couple of options here.  The scenarios you present are
> exactly what Landed Cost is used for.  However, as I mentioned in a
> using Landed Cost.  I devised a method for a client of mine to
> accomplish nearly the same result using Material Overhead.  The only
> catch here is, you must have the Manufcturing module to utilize it.
> If you're interested, you can read more about it here -
> http://msdynamicsworld.com/story/financial-management/use-microsoft-dynamics-gp-get-handle-impact-spiking-energy-costs-freight-
>
> Frank Hamelly
> MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
> East Coast Dynamics
> www.eastcoast-dynamics.com
>
> get your gptip42today at www.gp2themax.blogspot.com

Christina,
I have read your blog many times and like what you contribute.
I did read the articles you mentioned and they were very helpful.
Thank you for responding.
--
Christian S
South Carolina

"christinap" wrote:

> Hi Christian--
>
> If you are interested in understanding more about landed cost, you can
> check out these blog posts as well...
>
> http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2009/05/land-of-landed-costs-part-1.html
> http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2009/05/land-of-landed-costs-part-2.html
>
> Take care,
> Christina

Locked Fields
On the quote log entity the fields refering to shipping addresses are all mandatory locked fields and I want to get rid of them. How do I do that? On Nov 26, 5:46 pm, DMT <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > On the quote log entity the fields refering to shipping addresses are all > mandatory locked fields and I want to get rid of them. > > How do I do that? DMT- Settings > Customization > Quotes > Attributes > and remove the constraint from each of the fields from that section. Business Req'd , Recommended, or No Constraint. Set any/all relativ...

Report can't print form field
My report heading contains a text box with the following data source: ="Transactions since " & Forms!frmPrintTran!txtDate The on-screen preview shows the date fine, but on printing, this textbox displays #Name? The form remains open during print. Happens with both Access 2002 and 2007, DB structure A2000. What gives here? Thanks. -- TedMi This usually happens when there is code in the On Close of the report that closes the form. -- Duane Hookom Microsoft Access MVP "tedmi" wrote: > My report heading contains a text box with the following data source: > ...

Add non-inventory item in MO Reciept entry (Unit Cost)
Dear All, I am using the (Add Component) button on the MO Reciept entry screen to add some non-inventory items, I notice that the decimal places for the unit cost is (2) although my Functional currency is (3). Kindly advice for the reason behind this, or if there is any setup required for that. Thanks Dear, Go to Tools --> Setup --> Purchasing --> Purchase Order Processing Find Decimal Places for Non-inventoried Items, click on the Expantion Button near to the Currency Field and set the decimal places for you curreny. Regards, -- Mohammad R. Daoud MCP, MCBMSP, MCTS, MCBMSS S...

Drop Ship PO in MRP
We created a drop ship PO to send product from a vendor to a customer and everything seemed fine until it showed up in MRP. The drop ship PO for a qty of 5 is showing in the scheduled receipt and the projected available balence. What is the theory behind having it show up in MRP? The product is never going to be received and its never going to affect my physical inventory so should it really show as an extra 5 units in my projected available balence. Am i doing something wrong or is there something I am missing? Hi Wes. Are you generating the PO from the SO? Do you have a Site ID asso...

Sales Person Field
When a Order in printed where is the Sales person being pulled which field ? Owner ? Thanks Hi Carlos, I guess you have customized your invoice entity and sales person is actually the owner. You may have changed owner field's label to sales person. -- PLEASE do click on Yes or No button if this post was helpful or not for our feedback. uMar Khan Email for direct contact: imumar at gmail dot com "Carlos" wrote: > When a Order in printed where is the Sales person being pulled which field ? > Owner ? > > Thanks > > ...

Printing PO according to Description or by SKU
When printing out PO's they come out in Random order. This is a headache when searching for something on the Purchase Order. When you have 6 related products and they are not grouped on the PO printout. They are all over the page. Not to mention my suppliers mess up the orders because they are so hard to read. It would make life easier to see them filter by Description or by SKU since most items in the same catagory/family have the same bar code. I was shocked when they could not do this. Its like writing a document....all the words are there but when you go to print out, all...

Display table name as field in query
Does anyone know if there is a way to display the table name as a field in a query? I have a UNION query that merges all of the records from 10 different tables, but I need a field that indicates which table each record comes from. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Craig Craig wrote: >Does anyone know if there is a way to display the table name as a field in a >query? > >I have a UNION query that merges all of the records from 10 different >tables, but I need a field that indicates which table each record comes from. Just use the table name in a calcula...

Factors governing Inventory Cost Calculation at dealership
Homework? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Shankar Raman" <Shankar Raman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E05B70B8-4AC0-415D-82DE-CDFD450832BF@microsoft.com... > ...

Re: how do I export "user-defined" fields and information into excel?
Export Contacts Items from Office Outlook - http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/EM102566171033.aspx Contacts Exporter for Microsoft Exchange Server is small utility specially designed for Microsoft Outlook users to export Contacts Items from any Microsoft Office Outlook and/or Microsoft Exchange Public Contacts Folder (or private Mailbox folder) to Microsoft Office Access table or Microsoft Office Excel file. http://www.imibo.com/imidev/Exchange/imice.htm "IMI Contact Exporter" export contacts from ANY folder, including shared and public folders.. | "gayle&...

Cannot change received PO to Change Order
Great Plains will not allow me to change a Purchase Order from Received to Change Order: I'm not sure if this matters, but we recieved more than we ordered, which happens quite frequently. Here is the message I get: "This line can't be changed to Released or Change Order. A Received line can be changed to Change Order if it has a quantity cancelled." WHY IS THAT???? However, if I try to enter a quantity cancelled, I get: "The Quantity Cancelled must be less than the remaining quantity. Please enter a new quantity". How can I re-open this Purchas...

Aggregate calculations on calculated query fields?
I made a query that uses fields from multiple tables to calculate values for daily metrics. I need to present monthly totals of the data as sums and/or means. The tables are linked by the Date (mm/dd/yyyy) field. I enter ‘between 03/01/2010 and 03/31/2010’ in the criteria for the date field. For the totals I enter ‘group by’ for the date and ‘sum’ or ‘avg’ for the calculated fields. When the query is executed I receive an error that I ‘tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression *** as part of an aggregate function. *** is the calculated field in the...

Outlook 2003 does not export all fields to any of the selected file formats
Outlook 2003 does not export all fields, it is missing the date and time field for messages. If there is a way please let me know. For what purpose are you exporting your .pst items? --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the SWEN virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Great Eyes asked: | Outlook 2003 does not export all fields, it is missing the date and | time field for messages. | If there is a way please let me know. "...

Make Bit field control value of float field
Hi. I've made bit field with the default options of yes and no: new_Q1 Then i've made a field to collect a amount of points, incase the bit is set to yes: new_Q1p. If i select the format of the bit value to "list" my script works fine. If I select "check box", it does not work. Can any one help me modyfi the script to work with the check box? Thanks Regards, Jacob Mondrup This is the script I use: ______________________________________________________________________________ var point = 0; var get_status = parseInt(crmForm.all.new_q1.DataValue); switch (get...

Automaticaly put in the / in a date field
I want my users to input a date in the format dd/mm/yy I know some of them will mis out the separators and enter for example 140301 for the 14th March 2001, but Excel changes the date to something totally different. How can I create a mask (like in Access) so the separators are already displayed in the cell? For example the cell would look like / / and when the date is input it automatically jumps over the separator. You could use a worksheet event that changes the entry to a date. Chip Pearson has some code at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm Keith wrote: > ...

clearing Automatic Naming in the 'To' field
In Outlook, when you click on the 'To' field and start typing the email address, a drop-down list appears to choose a name or email to complete the address (if the address has been used before) or the line will automatically complete if only one matching name has been used before. Sometimes email addresses change, so an option being presented on the line or in the drop-down list may no longer be valid. How do I clear the list of old names or email addresses that are no longer valid addresses. I know I can turn off automatic naming in the advanced e-mail options but I don...

null fields in Message Tracking logs
The Message Tracking logs for our SBS 2003 exch. server contain null values for the client-ip and host-name fields. Is there a reason whe this would be so? Are we missing some component which would populate these fields? Thanks! ...

Invalid argument. (Error 3001) While Pasting into an OLE Field
The following just started popping up when trying to paste a zip file into an OLE field. All previous pastes show as a package. Invalid argument. (Error 3001) You tried to perform an operation that involves a routine in a DLL, and one of the arguments to the routine is invalid. Check your entry to make sure you have specified the correct arguments, and then try the operation again. This error also occurs when you attempt to use mutually exclusive constants in an argument to a method, such as specifying both dbConsistent and dbInconsistent in the options argument to the OpenRecordset met...

Ability to enter multiple meter readings per day in field service.
Would like to have the abiltiy to enter multiple meter reading per day in fields service instead of being limited to just one entry per day. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-u...

Email 'From' field showing email address and not full name?
I've looked everywhere and can't find anything on this issue. I'm running Exchange 2003 on a Server 2000 box. When we email to outside servers (yahoo, gmail, etc) the from field shows the user's email address (eg: bob@microsoft.com) instead of their name (eg: Bob Jones). I've verified that the Display Name, Alias, and Simple Display Name fields in exchange all have the user's First and Last name. Any ideas, I'm stumped. Thanks, Chris Yes that's a hard one to find. In ESM go into Global Settings and click Internet Message Formats. Then in the right pane, rig...

Crosstab Row Heading Issues
Hi, I have Access 2003 and when I do a cross tab I cannot bring in more than 3 field values for row headings - my coworker (who has Access 97) can bring in >3 row headings. Is this a paremter setting in Access 2003? Thanks, Mike I believe that the Wizard can't handle more than 3; however, you can do more with SQL. Try creating a crosstab with the three headings, them modifying it at SQL level to add more. -- Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP Light. Strong. Cheap. Pick two. Keith Bontrager - Bicycle Builder. "mike" wrote: > Hi, > > I have Access 2003 and...

Non-editable field
In a form, can a field be made non-editable AFTER it has been filled in by an event procedure? Are you saying you wish to "lock" the field? You can set this property (Locked) and/or a closely related property (Enabled) within an event procedure. Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Office/Access MVP "Donna Rae" <DonnaRae@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:10A864E8-B7AB-4EF3-A875-839ACB4F7198@microsoft.com... > In a form, can a field be made non-editable AFTER it has been filled in by > an > event procedure? Jeff, What I have is a form wit...

Error msg. "Failed to grant access to regenerated view" when adding field to schema using deployment mgr.
Hi, I'm running into a error simply creating a new field in the schema for LEADS. The error tells me to go to the event viewer, which in turn tells me the following: Failed to grant access to the regenerated view Lead after inserting new attribute CFSepassword. Is the system trying to add the field to a view in addition to the table? How can I proceed with this? Any help would be appreciated. Phillip ...

Trouble recalculating field in sub-form
I have eight fields in a continuous sub-form. When any of them changes, I need to recalculate a 9th field (Average Rating). In addition, I want the Average Rating to be calculated when the form appears. I currently have the calculation in a module that is called from each of the On Update events for the 8 fields. I have the Average Ratings field set up as an unbound field. The module is pretty long. I have a couple of issues - when one field in a record is updated all of the Average Ratings change on ALL the records in the subform. When I attach the Average Ratings field to a fiel...

Hiding/Unhiding Fields in a Data Access Page
I created a Data Access Page for my small department (5 users spreadacross the country) to track project status in an Access database on ashared drive. I figured this would be a lot less of a hassle thanreplicated databases and FE/BE setups. At this point, I've reached amajor brain cramp. My boss wants me to make some fields viewable onlyif a particular checkbox is selected. I know how to do this veryeasily in forms using VBA and macros, but I'm just plain stumped inDAP; I can hide the fields via format properties under the ElementProperties dialog, but cannot unhide them via code....

Formatting 'Hours' in work field with out decimals
I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next hr, rather than showing with one decimal. Appreciate help What about using the Round function? Round([Field],0) - or something like that syntax. - Andrew Lavinsky Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm > I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next > hr, rather than showing with one decimal. Appreciate help > On Jan 26, 2:05=A0pm, drjayr2002 <drjayr2...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I need help in formating the work hours showing rounded off to next ...