Forcing users to change their passwords on version 9

Why is this version doing this and how can we turn this off?  We do not have
a Windows 2003 domain nor do we have SQL 2005 so we cannot have GP use our
AD's passwords for Great Plains.

As the system admin, I give the user's their passwords for the application
and it is setup to match their domain passwords, so they don't have 2 and 3
passwords depending on the application.  SO now with version 9, they have to
change it?

There must be a setting somewhere to turn this on.  I looked at the user
setup window and the enforce passwords buttons are all unchecked and greyed
out.
0
Luvsql (265)

Did you just upgrade to version 9? If so, security for your users is
different. You can no longer unencrypt their sql password, therefore when you
first log in, Great Plains ask's you for your new password. If you reset
their password in Enterprise Manager, the users will be asked for a new
password when logging into Great Plains everytime.There is no link to AD. The
options you see greyed out are SQl password policies not AD policies. You can
only use this option if you are on SQl 2005 and using the Native SQl Driver.

"Luvsql" wrote:

> Why is this version doing this and how can we turn this off?  We do not have
> a Windows 2003 domain nor do we have SQL 2005 so we cannot have GP use our
> AD's passwords for Great Plains.
>
> As the system admin, I give the user's their passwords for the application
> and it is setup to match their domain passwords, so they don't have 2 and 3
> passwords depending on the application.  SO now with version 9, they have to
> change it?
>
> There must be a setting somewhere to turn this on.  I looked at the user
> setup window and the enforce passwords buttons are all unchecked and greyed
> out.
0
klewis6238 (163)
4/10/2007 5:34:01 PM
Yes, we just upgraded to version 9 from 8.  None of our GP users were ever
entered in SQL directly nor were their passwords changed in sql.  All was
done in GP the regular way.

"klewis" wrote:

> Did you just upgrade to version 9? If so, security for your users is
> different. You can no longer unencrypt their sql password, therefore when you
> first log in, Great Plains ask's you for your new password. If you reset
> their password in Enterprise Manager, the users will be asked for a new
> password when logging into Great Plains everytime.There is no link to AD. The
> options you see greyed out are SQl password policies not AD policies. You can
> only use this option if you are on SQl 2005 and using the Native SQl Driver.
>
> "Luvsql" wrote:
>
> > Why is this version doing this and how can we turn this off?  We do not have
> > a Windows 2003 domain nor do we have SQL 2005 so we cannot have GP use our
> > AD's passwords for Great Plains.
> >
> > As the system admin, I give the user's their passwords for the application
> > and it is setup to match their domain passwords, so they don't have 2 and 3
> > passwords depending on the application.  SO now with version 9, they have to
> > change it?
> >
> > There must be a setting somewhere to turn this on.  I looked at the user
> > setup window and the enforce passwords buttons are all unchecked and greyed
> > out.
0
Luvsql (265)
4/10/2007 8:42:01 PM
Luvsql,

On 8.0 if you had an unencrypted password (because you set it up in
Enterprise Manager as you are doing) then we let you log in with that.  Now
under 9.0 for securing your accounting data and Trustworthy Computing, the
passwords WILL be encrypted in SQL.  If you successfully log into Dynamics
using an unencrypted password then you will be prompted to change the
password at that time.  And when you do the new password will be encrypted.

The only way that I can think of to have the "same" password is to change
the password to something else in Enterprise Manager and then have the user
switch the password to their real password manually when they are prompted
to switch passwords.

patrick
developer support

"Luvsql" <Luvsql@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Yes, we just upgraded to version 9 from 8.  None of our GP users were ever
> entered in SQL directly nor were their passwords changed in sql.  All was
> done in GP the regular way.
>
> "klewis" wrote:
>
>> Did you just upgrade to version 9? If so, security for your users is
>> different. You can no longer unencrypt their sql password, therefore when
>> you
>> first log in, Great Plains ask's you for your new password. If you reset
>> their password in Enterprise Manager, the users will be asked for a new
>> password when logging into Great Plains everytime.There is no link to AD.
>> The
>> options you see greyed out are SQl password policies not AD policies. You
>> can
>> only use this option if you are on SQl 2005 and using the Native SQl
>> Driver.
>>
>> "Luvsql" wrote:
>>
>> > Why is this version doing this and how can we turn this off?  We do not
>> > have
>> > a Windows 2003 domain nor do we have SQL 2005 so we cannot have GP use
>> > our
>> > AD's passwords for Great Plains.
>> >
>> > As the system admin, I give the user's their passwords for the
>> > application
>> > and it is setup to match their domain passwords, so they don't have 2
>> > and 3
>> > passwords depending on the application.  SO now with version 9, they
>> > have to
>> > change it?
>> >
>> > There must be a setting somewhere to turn this on.  I looked at the
>> > user
>> > setup window and the enforce passwords buttons are all unchecked and
>> > greyed
>> > out.

0
prot1 (1345)
4/11/2007 1:24:48 AM
We have never had unencrypted passwords.  All our user IDs were created in
Great PLains.  If GP knows that it is in fact encrypted, why does the user
have to change their password??

When you have an installation with over 50+ GP users, this type of change is
not welcome at all!

"Patrick [MSFT]" wrote:

> Luvsql,
>
> On 8.0 if you had an unencrypted password (because you set it up in
> Enterprise Manager as you are doing) then we let you log in with that.  Now
> under 9.0 for securing your accounting data and Trustworthy Computing, the
> passwords WILL be encrypted in SQL.  If you successfully log into Dynamics
> using an unencrypted password then you will be prompted to change the
> password at that time.  And when you do the new password will be encrypted.
>
> The only way that I can think of to have the "same" password is to change
> the password to something else in Enterprise Manager and then have the user
> switch the password to their real password manually when they are prompted
> to switch passwords.
>
> patrick
> developer support

> "Luvsql" <Luvsql@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Yes, we just upgraded to version 9 from 8.  None of our GP users were ever
> > entered in SQL directly nor were their passwords changed in sql.  All was
> > done in GP the regular way.
> >
> > "klewis" wrote:
> >
> >> Did you just upgrade to version 9? If so, security for your users is
> >> different. You can no longer unencrypt their sql password, therefore when
> >> you
> >> first log in, Great Plains ask's you for your new password. If you reset
> >> their password in Enterprise Manager, the users will be asked for a new
> >> password when logging into Great Plains everytime.There is no link to AD.
> >> The
> >> options you see greyed out are SQl password policies not AD policies. You
> >> can
> >> only use this option if you are on SQl 2005 and using the Native SQl
> >> Driver.

0
Luvsql (265)
4/11/2007 1:32:01 PM
Luvsql,

Hmmm, I didn't think of one thing- I just assumed that this might have been
the case.

However you are seeing is about the same thing would happen when going from
8.0 to 9.0 also because the encryption algorithm changed (much stronger
now).  What happened in this case then is that when they logged in for the
first time the application logged in using the old algorithm and then forced
the user to change the password to get to the new encryption method.

Sorry about the misdiagnosis on that, jumped to conclusions based on your
wording in the previous post.  But the end result and reason is the same.

> We have never had unencrypted passwords.  All our user IDs were created in
> Great PLains.  If GP knows that it is in fact encrypted, why does the user
> have to change their password??
>
> When you have an installation with over 50+ GP users, this type of change
> is
> not welcome at all!
>
> "Patrick [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> Luvsql,
>>
>> On 8.0 if you had an unencrypted password (because you set it up in
>> Enterprise Manager as you are doing) then we let you log in with that.
>> Now
>> under 9.0 for securing your accounting data and Trustworthy Computing,
>> the
>> passwords WILL be encrypted in SQL.  If you successfully log into
>> Dynamics
>> using an unencrypted password then you will be prompted to change the
>> password at that time.  And when you do the new password will be
>> encrypted.
>>
>> The only way that I can think of to have the "same" password is to change
>> the password to something else in Enterprise Manager and then have the
>> user
>> switch the password to their real password manually when they are
>> prompted
>> to switch passwords.
>>
>> patrick
>> developer support
>>
>> --
>> rights.
>>

>> "Luvsql" <Luvsql@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Yes, we just upgraded to version 9 from 8.  None of our GP users were
>> > ever
>> > entered in SQL directly nor were their passwords changed in sql.  All
>> > was
>> > done in GP the regular way.

0
prot1 (1345)

Remote users
Hi, does anyone know if there is a white paper available for Sales for Outlook and remote users, i.e. what is the recomended broadband connection speed for users connecting from a remote location and how long will it take to syncronize their data (average user)? To my knowledge, there is not a writeup that covers this. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 21:22:43 +1000, "Marlen" <m_fowler31@hotmail.com> wrote: Hi, does anyone know if there is a white paper available for Sales for Outlook and remo...

Change Contract Status
Hello, My CRM implementation does not change automatically the Contract Status from Active to Expired or from Invoiced to Active when the Contract End Date or, respectively, the Contract Start Date comes. This was happening also in the 1.2 version and now the same happens in 3.0 version. Any ideas? Thank you, Elena ...

How to change cell shading/fill based on value in another cell?
I have a sheet with two columns of experimental data. Let's say the data is in F10:F25 (column 1) & G10:G25 (column 2). There is a value in another cell (A1) that contains a 1 or a 2. If A1=1, I want to turn shading in column 1 agree and in column 2 off. If A1=2, I want to reverse that. If there a worksheet function that will do that? I was hoping for something like: =cellshading(range,color) I could then execute one of these two statements: If A1=1 then cellshading(F10:F25,"Green") cellshading(G10:G25,"None") Else cellshading(G10:G25,"Green&...

Some users not listed in Global Address Book ???
Dear Sir, I have some of my users in my exchange 2003, their contacts are not listed in the GAL although I can send them e-mails, and they can receive. What Should I have to do to make their contacts appear in the GAL? On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 00:12:01 -0700, Mahmoud Metwally Ali <Mahmoud Metwally Ali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Dear Sir, I have some of my users in my exchange 2003, their contacts are not >listed in the GAL although I can send them e-mails, and they can receive. >What Should I have to do to make their contacts appear in the GAL? Are you talking about user...

Permissions on msIIS-FTPDir and msIIS-FTPRoot AD user attributes
We have to give the permission to read/write msIIS-FTPDir and msIIS- FTPRoot AD user attributes for all users under an OU (or to all users belonging in a security group) to a particular AD user. How can this be accomplished? I must point that Delegation wizard does not help. The properties I mentioned are not exposed and therefore cannot be given permissions onto. Regards, Drazen On Feb 25, 8:45=A0am, Drazen <delfince...@gmail.com> wrote: > We have to give the permission to read/write msIIS-FTPDir and msIIS- > FTPRoot AD user attributes for all users under an OU (or t...

Outlook 2003 Font Changes When Replying Plain Text
Outlook 2003 is exhibiting a strange behavior when replying to plain text messages. After clicking the "Reply" button, the message appears in the Arial font. In about two to three minutes, the font suddenly changes to Courier which is the correct font. Why is it taking so long for the font to change? Steve Lockridge steve@websitewarehouse.com ...

Excel 2000 #9
Is there a way to change the date format in footers and headers.?.these two items do not seem to pick up the formatting specified for the individual cells. David H. David Excel in any version uses the Short Date format from Windows Regional settings in headers/footers. You can make some minor changes in Regional settings but not too much. How about a macro to add the date in any format you choose? Sub DateInFooter() With ActiveSheet .PageSetup.CenterFooter = Format(Date, "dddd, mmmm-dd-yyyy") End With End Sub Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 5 Feb 2008...

Assign a task from a Public Folder to another user
Hello, I am trying to organize a large scale tasks tickler system where everyone can view the master task list and where senior managers can can assign tasks to subordinates. My first approach was to create the task folder in a public folder. Much to my dismay there doesn't seem to be any way to assign the task to another user and still monitor the task in the master public folder task list. First there was no "assign task" command on the toolbar. After adding the "assign task" icon I discovered that the task was added to my personal task list vice the master task li...

Microsoft File Password Recovery
Hi All A friend and I at work have a file that we cannot open because it was password protected and we can't remember the password. Is someone able to recommend some free file open password breaker software? Otherwise, could I send the file to someone to open the file? For clarity, it is not within the excel worksheet or workbook, it is a password to open the excel file! With thanks Nick well if it was a workbook/sheet password, i'd say www.straxx.com as it' a free password add-in, very effective too. but if it's not one o those passwords, what is it? external? v...

Multi-User Excel File on a Network Drive
How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple users concurrently? With all able to make and save changes to the same file. Thanks, Mike "Mike" wrote > How can I make an Excel file accessible to multiple > users concurrently? With all able to make and save > changes to the same file. Tools / Share Workbook Jordon ...

Automatically open different workbooks depending on user account used.
There are two userrs on the same computer. When user 1 opens Excel, I'd like oen workbook to automatically open. When user2 opens Excel, I'd like a diffferent workbook to automatically open. Is this possible? (Each user logs into Windows usning their uuser account.) The computer is running windows XP pro and Excel 2007. Thanks, Something like this might work for you. This is untested. Post back if this doesn't work for you. Place the following macro in the ThisWorkbook module. You would need to change ThePath to your real path, the user account names for Joe and Bill...

how can you change a "bitmap" to a jpeg??
After taking digital pictures in BITMAP, how can I change them to JPEGS? "TRM" <TRM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F5C091D7-377B-4F2F-A7BF-84794BC84F38@microsoft.com... > After taking digital pictures in BITMAP, how can I change them to > JPEGS? Get XnView or IrfanView. Both are free. Then use Save As and select the format. -- _________________________________________________________________ ******** Post replies to newsgroup - Share with others ******** Email: lh_811newsATyahooDOTcom and append "=NEWS=" to Subject. _________________...

sbs 2008 under Updates, "change the software update settings" crashes console
Running SBS 2008 SP2, fresh install with just a couple users, I noticed that under Security, Updates, in the Tasks window there is a "Change the software update settings". When I click this link, the "Software Update Settings" window appears for a split second then the SBS Console crashes saying "Windows SBS 2008 Console has stopped working" with these details: Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3 Problem Signature 01: console.exe Problem Signature 02: 6.0.5601.8497 Problem Signature 03: 4a612b8b...

External Users and Global Address List
I stumbled across this a while ago but now can not find the setting again. I have an Exchange server and am accepting mail for multiple domains. A lot of these domains accept mail and then forward it off to external email accounts. When I create new "external users" in the Active Directory Users and Computers, they show up in my Global Address List. I really don't want this to happen. I know it is possible to not have this happen because as I said at the top, I stumbled onto a setting that turned this off. I did this for a bunch of accounts at the time I found the set...

how to prompt user to click on cell for starting import position
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0018_01C3503B.424EF830 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable How would this be changed so that when the macro is run, it prompts the = user to click on the cell to start copying in the data? Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=3DRange("A1"), = DataType:=3DxlFixedWidth, _ FieldInfo:=3DArray(Array(0, 1), Array(41, 1), Array(82, 1), = Array(90, 1), Array(131, 1), _ Array(143, 1), Array(169, 1), Array(191, 1), Array(203, 1), = Array(216...

Changing Quickbooks to Excel
Hey, I'm trying to get my QuickBooks Check Registry into a linear format, then put it on a disk, go to another computer and open it in Excel. Can anyone give me a link or a quick walkthrough on what I need to do, any help would be appreciated. Thanks! -- mattsides ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mattsides's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25015 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=385419 "mattsides" <mattsides.1rtnv9_1120777541.6085@excelforum-nospam.com>...

Multiple Outlook users on one machine
I have a workstation (98SE)that off-site employees use when they come into the office. I currently have them using OWA from the workstation, but it is starting to be a hassle. Is there a way I can configure Outlook to prompt for a username and password when opening, and have it access the appropriate mailbox on the Exhange 2000 server? Thanks! Slim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a workstation (98SE)that off-site employees use > when they come into the office. I currently have them > using OWA from the workstation, but it is starting to be > a ...

how get the user for econnect installed
hi, i want to know how can i get the userid who is logged in for eConnect and/that user is authenticated or not?in GP8.0 Regards, Nilotpal ...

Outlook 2007 Fluent user interface
Has anyone experienced a situation where while setting up categories for contacts the menu suddenly reverts to the 2003 style? And it only effected Outlook. None of the other Office apps were effected. Is this baused by a corruption of the menu or is it a feature that can be switched back and forth? The main outlook interface in outlook 2007 has toolbars, just like in older versions. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-s...

Prompt user to input what data to be displayed on Report
I've created a report. I would like for user to decide what dates they want to see on report. (I think I need a parameter???? query)? What type of query do I create where user is prompted to enter a 'Begin Date' and and 'End Date'.. and have that data appear on report. What are the steps to do this????? Note: My date is in short date format On Mar 25, 4:00=A0pm, Summing multiple fields on a form <Summingmultiplefieldsonaf...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I've created a report. I would like for user to decide what dates they wa= nt > ...

User deleted Anonymous permission for calendar...how to get back?
I've searched and searched and cannot find any way to Add the Anoynmous permission back to their calendar. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. TIA Download PFDAVAdmin and then run it and go to the User, Top of Information Store. Right-click Top of Information Store and choose Propagate Folder ACE's. Make sure to choose Add/Replace as the option. This will re-add Default and Anonymous to the Calendar and the other folders. PFDAVAdmin can be found at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=635be792-d8ad-49e3-ada4-e2422c0ab424&DisplayLang=en -- Ben...

change one attribute for all items
Hi, Does anyone know of a quick way to change one attribute for all items in the database, for example, changing barcode font, or adding sales tax to all items?.... 1) Backup your database 2) Pick an Item and write down it's lookupcode ( I'll use '12345' in the following samples) 3) go to Item Properties for your selected Item ('12345') 4) Set the Barcode Format and Item Tax that you want to apply 5) Close Manager 6) Open SO Administrator, use File/Connect to connect to your database 7) Open a new query window and enter the following: UPDATE Item set BarcodeF...

Change Owner Of A Phone Call Activity With On Save Event
Hi all, I would like to change the owner of a new phone call activity once the save button has been pressed. Ideally, I would like this to be one of the support Q's I have created as e-mails willl be sent from the owner back to the caller and we do not want them coming from our receptionist. I have written the folliwng code and put it in the OnSave section for the phone call entity but it is incomplete as I am not sure what to assign to the ownerid to change it to a Q? The owner type is owner as per the documentation? Is this a strin, int etc.? Can someone please assist? Cheers, Mark /*...

From AOL 9.0 to OE
Would like to import AOL 9.0 address book and email into OE. What / where AOL 9.0 files can I import please? Is there a better way of making the transfer? Thanks AOL and other mail programs do not play at all together as AOL uses a proprietary system that you cannot export from. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, RogerRamjet asked: | Would like to i...

Permanently changing font size of incoming message
My boss has a vision problem and needs to have the font enlarged on all incoming messages. We just switched from Novell GroupWise, which allowed her to do this. Is there a way to do this in Outlook 2007? There are several methods to deal with that. See; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/67 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "Geege" <Geege@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in ...