Flowcharting Table relations

Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains
and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other.
In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or
fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table.

Does anyone where I can find such information?

Thanks
0
ITAuditor (2)

Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs.  There
are several diagrams that describe table relationships.  Also, there are
module documents that contain posting flowcharts.

Regards,

Kevin Rood

Corporate Software Consultants
www.corpsoftware.com
krood_no_spam@corp_nospam_software.com
(813) 752-0755 (Main Office)
Plant City, FL

(remove "_no_spam" and "_nospam_" to send direct e-mail)

ITAuditor wrote:

> Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains
> and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other.
> In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or
> fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table.
>
> Does anyone where I can find such information?
>
> Thanks
Thanks alot man.

"Kevin Rood" wrote:

> Check out the Great Plains SDK available on the installation CDs.  There
> are several diagrams that describe table relationships.  Also, there are
> module documents that contain posting flowcharts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kevin Rood
>
> Corporate Software Consultants
> www.corpsoftware.com
> krood_no_spam@corp_nospam_software.com
> (813) 752-0755 (Main Office)
> Plant City, FL
>
> (remove "_no_spam" and "_nospam_" to send direct e-mail)
>

> ITAuditor wrote:
>
> > Hey guys and girls. New one for you. I am doing an IT audit of Great Plains
> > and need to flowchart how the data files are related to each other.
> > In other words, how does one file feed into another file, and what field or
> > fields in a particular table is used to relate/link to another table.
> >
> > Does anyone where I can find such information?
> >
> > Thanks

0
ITAuditor (2)

Pivot Table
Hi My data in table are very simply organised as below: --------------------------------------------- Res.no City Code Var1 Var2 Var3 --------------------------------------------- 1 City1 CD0001 num num num 2 City1 CD0002 num num num 3 City1 CD0003 num num num 4 City1 CD0004 num num num 5 City1 CD0005 num num num 6 City2 CD0006 num num num 7 City2 CD0007 num num num 8 City2 CD0008 num num num 9 City2 CD0009 num num num 10 City3 CD0010 num num num 11 City4 CD0011 num num num 12 City3 CD0012 num num num 13 City3 CD0013 num num num 14 City3 CD0014 num num num 15 City1 CD0015 num nu...

Adding to an imported table
I am a beginning Access user. When I order items, I am able to import the order information (info about each specific ordered item) into an Access database. I have figured out that I can add information from subsequent orders to the same big table (and could use a query to ID stuff from specific orders if necessary). I want to mark items received or not received. If I do this in the table, I mess up the column names and importing the order information doesn't work (at least, it doesn't work with my limited knowledge). I have tried to create a form where I add in a checkbox, but I ...

Sorting Cube dimension names in a Pivot Table
How do I get the dimension names in the "pivot table field list" sorted by the translated names? The pivot table field list contains: - one measure-node - one dimension node for each cube-dimension. The cube-dimension-nodes are represented by their translated names. It looks like, this names are not sorted by this translated names, but by the order of the data source. The related radio-buttons in the pivot-table-options are greyed ("A to Z" and "sort by data source"). I would need the "A" to "Z" order. Pleas notice! I...

Relative reference Chart data
Hi, This is probably easier than I make it out to be but here goes. I'm making a list of references I've been using for a research paper in excel and because the list is quite large (50 sources) I wanted to visually depict how useful each reference is. So I created a bubble chart with "relevance" on the x-axis and "quality of the source" on the y-axis which references a 1-4 scale for relevance and quality. That works fine, but when I want to sort references, let's say by date, the references for the chart data are absolute, which means if a Row is sorted up or ...

Does anyone know of a software application for Pivot tables other. #2
We have some very complex pivot tables in Excel that unfortunately are not very stable or flexible when you make changes. The data list is used to generate multiple pivot tables in the same workbook but the data and the number of records can change frequently. One time we might have 18000 records and the next time we might have 2500 records. So far it seems that everytime we have to change the data we have to reset the data source range for each pivot table. I believe each pivot table was copied via Edit, Move or Copy, rather than being generated as anew pivot table or based on anot...

Access 2007 Pivot Table Chart
I've created a Pivot Chart and would like to add value labels to the columns. Is that possible? ...

Purging old data from pivot table
Is there any way to purge old data from a pivot table? I modified th contents of a column of data, and "refresh" put the modified data int the pivot table but also retained the old data (which no longer exist in the original spreadsheet). It gets confusing when I need to selec different items for a new view, since the old non-existant data appear to be selectable as well as the current data. Saving, closing, reopening did not help either -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot04.html -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfur...

Renaming forms tables and reports
Is choosing "save as" and making a copy and removing the original the only way to rename a report, table, or form? I started with the Issues template but I want to change the names of the objects. I can right click and rename the shortcuts in the navigator window, but the name doesn't change and the references are still under the old name. I do not want my shortcut to be a different name than the reference name because then there will be confusion for database maintenance. I've also tried renaming the objects in their properties window, but I couldn't find a na...

Report using Fields with the same name from different tables
Hello all - I created a db with no knowledge of naming convention. Now I am attempting to write some reports pulling data from tables with the same field names. Apparently Access doesn't like this....I attempted to change the names in the BE but when I relink the FE it is prompting for parameters. What is the best way to proceed? Thanks - Lee -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-reports/201005/1 TheLee via AccessMonster.com wrote: >I created a db with no knowledge of naming convention. Now I am attempting to &...

Conditional Formatting in data table of a chart
I'm using Excel 2007, and trying to apply conditional formatting to the data table of a line chart. I've tried creating the chart without the formatting applied to cells with the original data (data source), and then applying the format to the source; as well as creating the chart after applying the format to the source. The data table in the chart will naturally update with changed data since it is linked, but will not incorporate any style formatting. Any thought? Thanks. Data tables in charts are not particularly flexible. They do not, for example, support conditional fo...

Changing Properties of Fields in Table
Below is part of a code that somebody had given me to change the property of a field (in this case to make the field a required field). fld1.properties("Required") = True What do I need to do if I want to modify this line of code to do the following: a) Change a field to have a DATATYPE of Number b) FIELD SIZE should be DOUBLE Any help will be appreciated. Toks You cannot change data types in that way. Your choices are: 1) Create a new field of the correct type, run an Update query to transfer the data from the old field to the new field, delete the old field then rename ...

Rotate data table by 180 deg.

GUID In Table
I have a GUID in a table that I fill programmatically. Often the table will be searched on the GUID. It is just a GUID generated from dotnet in a varchar field. The majority of the time the table will be searched on this GUID... only sometimes will be it be searched on an the primary key ID (just an identity). What type of index, if any, should I place on the GUID? Unique Constraint, Unique Index? The table may get to a couple million records. I suggest you store the GUID value in a uniqueidentifier column instead of varchar . This way, you'll store the native 16 byt...

PayPeriod table
I am working on a payroll system. One of the task is to create a payperiod table to capture the previous payroll currently store in the Excel file from year 2006 to present. The payperiod is bi-weekly and I want to populate this table with the pervios payperiod and up to year 2050. The columns in this table will have the following fields: ID Calendar Year - which is determined by the PayPeriod End Date PayPeriod Start Date PayPeriod End Date PayPeriod - PayPeriod Start Date - PayPeriod End Date How to write a sql query to populate this table? PayPeriod always start on Sund...

Removing a field From a Pivot Table
I'm working with a pvt table in excel. Right now there are several fields in the pvt table, including the month different entries are made and the account that made them. When i hit the show detail button in the pivot table i get the detail all of the entries grouped by month and by account on a separate sheet. I want to continue to do this, but i want to also be able to get a second view where i hit the show detail button and only see the detail grouped my account (month is either hidden or totally removed from this list of data in the pvt table and the rows that composed the different...

Tables update interrupted
SOP is configured to post through to the GL, I came this morning and saw this status message, 'tables update interrupted'. I know I can use the batch recovery for this batch, but before I do anything, why did this happen? And how can it be prevented? rcr, You know your environment better than anyone of us. Without a description of what processes, etc., run on your server while posting is happening is very hard to even venture to give an aswer. This is one of those cases where it's anyone's best guess if you do not provide any extra info. My first guess would be check ...

Linked Excel Table, Update Table
Using Access 2002. I import an Excel table into my database that is regularly updated from my company's main database via a BusinessObjects query. I need to create a table that constantly updates to mirror the linked Excel table because of record locking issues (can't have multiple people in the database if queries are based on the Excel table). I use a make-table query as a starting point... My question is how do I keep the table updated? Thinking I need to do an update query, a delete query and/or an append query but not sure how or in what order. Any help would be apprec...

Comments on a pivot table
Dear All, How would one add comments to a pivot table? I want to add two comments to items in a pivot table however when I select different items in the filter list, thus changing the range covered in the pivot tables, the comments remain static and just stay on cell D12 for example. Any items how I can apply a comment to a specific item in the pivot table? Please see pivot layout below: Invoice Date Range 10-20 21-30 1234 £10.40 5346 £12.50 I want to add a comment to, for example, the cell with £12.50 i...

Table name in Expression builder not allowed?
I tried to do a simple calculation (on a form) but fail to understand this: =[UnitPrice]*[Quantity] works, however if I use the Tables list from (below) and construct the formula it shows as: [OrderDetails].UnitPrice * [OrderDetails].Quantity and it does not work. I get #Name error When field names are written as [UnitPrice] is it not a standard practice to name them as such? Somewhere I also see [OrderDetails]![UnitPrice] notation. Why? Thanks "dindigul" <padhye.m@gmail.com> wrote in news:O9MdHWQEIHA.5752@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > I tried to do a simple calculation ...

Pivot Table Help
Hello, I have a challenging pivot table issue that I hope I can get some help on. Here is the spreadsheet I'm working with: https://www.yousendit.com/download/OHo0N3RSSU90d0UwTVE9PQ I'm having problems with showing percentages in my pivot table such as gross margin and operational profit. Here is the P&L pivot table as I have it now, as you can see I can't get the "Gross Margin %" to output a number. Both "Gross Margin %" and "Operational Profit %" are calculated fields I've added to the pivot table since the raw data only inc...

Problem making versions of a table by changing sourse data in another workbook
Hello How to make a version of a table by changing source data in another workbook and retain original version of the table easily? I lose the original version of the table if I change the source data in the other workbook even if I make a copy of the original table workbook. I have to recreate all links if I make copies of the original table workbook and the source workbook. Hi! Have you tried making a "snapshot" of the worksheet? (Converting the formulae into their values - fixed forever - using copy/paste special values) Just don't do it unless you have a secure copy ...

The pivot tables 101 article says to use the "Create List" comman.
I cannot locate the "Create List" command anywhere, yet in the beginning article on pivot tables for excel 2002-2003, it says to start with a "list: A series of rows that contains related data or a series of rows that you designate to function as a datasheet by using the Create List command." 'Create List' is a new feature in Excel 2003. If you're using an earlier version, you can ignore that reference. Create a table, with headings in the first row, and data in the following rows. There's a PivotTable intro and links on Jon Peltier's web site: ...

Combining Tables #2
I have two tables with different sets of information, but they have a column in common - the ID number. The tables have differing numbers of rows, ie. some of the ID numbers in one table are not in the other table. How do I go about combining the two tables, so that the ID's match up, and the info from one table is carried to the matching ID in the other table? Sure appreciate your help on this - i'm under a lot of pressure to do this quickly, and cannot afford the time to go line by line matching ID's!!! :-) Thanks! mary trueblood This is usually done with formulas...

calculate net income i.e. revenues (-) expenses in a pivot table
Hello, I need to calculate net income i.e. revenues (-) expenses in a pivot table. My source data is all positive amounts. I do have a field that identifies the amount as a Revenue or Expense. Source fields are: 1.. month/yr 2. Section 3.GL Number 4.GL Line item description 5.$_amount 6 Rev_Exp _ID Once the pivot table is setup how can I get a TOTAL calculation that is revenues (-) expenses by Section by month/Yr? Column fields are: Month/Yr Row fields are: Section, GL Number, GL line item description, Rev_Exp_ID Data is Sum of $_amount. Thanks JB. Try creating a &#...

Turn off "alerts" to save/delete tables
Hi, I am trying to run a Macro that runs 3 queries. In the process tables are being deleted/created and there are a lot of prompts to save/delete etc... I just want to turn these off. I got some advice but was having a few issues implementing them. Here is where I am so far. In the Macro - I tried to turn off the alerts at the beginning and then turn them on again. OpenModule: OpenQuery: OpenQuery: OpenQuery: OpenModule: End of macro... In OpenModule: ModuleName = Module1 Procedure = SetOff In Module1 I have ////////////////////////////////////////////////////// Option Compare Da...