Export Data from B-Trieve to EXCEL

I am upgrading Great Plains from 4.0 to version 9.0. The current data is in
B-Trieve version. Is there any way that instead of Migrating data from
B-Trieve to SQL, I export data from B-Trieve to Excel and then import it in
SQL via integration manager.

Any help in exporting the data from B-Trieve to Excel would be highly
appreicated.

Thanks
0
MIA (12)

It's possible to export from Btrieve to Excel. GP used to provide a DDF
creator that would enable you to create the five DDF files that would give
you access to your data via ODBC.

But, are you planning on exporting each file to Excel and then import each
file using Integration Manager? If so, I would abort that plan. I guess the
Direct Table import feataure if IM could do what you want but we're talking
about a lot of work that may be successful. Another issue is that some of the
table structures have changed since v4 so you can't just do an export/import.

You may be better off using the DDFs to get some of your data and treat the
upgrade as more of a conversion to a new system and not try to capture all
the data. I don't know what the path is from v4 to v9, but I'm sure it will
take you through history.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"MIA" wrote:

> I am upgrading Great Plains from 4.0 to version 9.0. The current data is in
> B-Trieve version. Is there any way that instead of Migrating data from
> B-Trieve to SQL, I export data from B-Trieve to Excel and then import it in
> SQL via integration manager.
>
> Any help in exporting the data from B-Trieve to Excel would be highly
> appreicated.
>
> Thanks
0
callen (2505)
10/9/2006 2:53:01 AM
If you need to export your btrieve data out to a common format you
might take a look at BtSearch at www.nssdd.com.  It allows you to
export to CSV, dBase and other ascii formats.

Gil

Charles Allen wrote:
> It's possible to export from Btrieve to Excel. GP used to provide a DDF
> creator that would enable you to create the five DDF files that would give
> you access to your data via ODBC.
>
> But, are you planning on exporting each file to Excel and then import each
> file using Integration Manager? If so, I would abort that plan. I guess the
> Direct Table import feataure if IM could do what you want but we're talking
> about a lot of work that may be successful. Another issue is that some of the
> table structures have changed since v4 so you can't just do an export/import.
>
> You may be better off using the DDFs to get some of your data and treat the
> upgrade as more of a conversion to a new system and not try to capture all
> the data. I don't know what the path is from v4 to v9, but I'm sure it will
> take you through history.
> --
> Charles Allen, MVP
>

> "MIA" wrote:
>
> > I am upgrading Great Plains from 4.0 to version 9.0. The current data is in
> > B-Trieve version. Is there any way that instead of Migrating data from
> > B-Trieve to SQL, I export data from B-Trieve to Excel and then import it in
> > SQL via integration manager.
> >
> > Any help in exporting the data from B-Trieve to Excel would be highly
> > appreicated.
> >
> > Thanks

Great Plains aldo has a tool called DBrowser that would extract the data
from your btrieve files.
This should be available from customersource.

WinthropDC had a tool that would do this as well, but I forget the name of
the utility.
Rockton Software has taken over their software products and you should find
that utility there if you look.

HS

--
www.DynExtra.com
A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community
"MIA" <MIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am upgrading Great Plains from 4.0 to version 9.0. The current data is in
> B-Trieve version. Is there any way that instead of Migrating data from
> B-Trieve to SQL, I export data from B-Trieve to Excel and then import it
> in
> SQL via integration manager.
>
> Any help in exporting the data from B-Trieve to Excel would be highly
> appreicated.
>
> Thanks

0
HSalim (1270)
10/10/2006 4:45:24 AM
Hmmm...

Do you want to start over with only the master files or do you want to carry
over history, etc.?

I would take this approach if I wanted to start over with the master files.
If I wanted to maintain history, I would upgrade Great Plains.

If you look at a Great Plains 7.5 upgrade manual, it will tell you the
upgrade path from 4.0 to 7.5 on Pervasive.

You can then migrate the data from 7.5 on Peravasive to 7.5 on SQL.

The final step would be to upgrade from 7.5 on SQL to 9.0 on SQL.

I do not remember if you can upgrade straight from 4.0 to 7.5.  You may have
to upgrade to 6.0 and then 7.5 or something like that.  It has to do with
the types of changes that were made to the table structure.

It is important to do the whole process on a test machine first.

"MIA" <MIA@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am upgrading Great Plains from 4.0 to version 9.0. The current data is
in
> B-Trieve version. Is there any way that instead of Migrating data from
> B-Trieve to SQL, I export data from B-Trieve to Excel and then import it
in
> SQL via integration manager.
>
> Any help in exporting the data from B-Trieve to Excel would be highly
> appreicated.
>
> Thanks

0
news_jamrock (304)

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Excel 2007 Run Remote/Server/Network/Shared Macro From Custom Butt
In Excel 2003 this was straightforward: add the add-in regarless of location and assign it to a button. I have tried several things in 2007 without success. I've followed the usual links (including to Rondebruin and the others!), local add-ins running remote add-ins, abused my keyboard, kicked some furniture, etc... Still I haven't found a solution. I'm sure the solution isn't as easy as in 2003 but if anyone knows it I would appreciate some advice/directions. Thanks, SQLServant ...

XML Export and worksheets
I am able to export my spreadsheet to an XML file, but what I'd really like to do is either: 1) Export only selected data to XML from within a worksheet OR 2) Export all the data within a single worksheet to XML. Right now, it seems I can only export ALL the data within my workbook.... Anyone have a solution? ...

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Data migration - Adventure Works

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Excel error 1706

Mail merge from excel
I am trying to merge a list of names from excel into publisher. When using the mail merge wizard it wont let me load the names all it says is f1 and f2. what am I doing wrong? any help is greatly appreciated. ...

Excel Jululian 04-24-10
Good morning please help i have a lists of names and i want to separate each in a colum like You Light Up My Life197711 You Light Up My Life (in one colum "A") 1977 (in one colum "B") 1 (in one colum "C") 1 (in one colum "E") regards First many thanks on your reply the text are different in length regards "מיכאל (מיקי) אבידן" wrote: > 'Data' > 'Text to Columns' > 'Next' > mark/un-mark the vertical separators as > shown in the picture > 'Finish' >...

Opening Excel email attachments
When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find suitable program.I then go online to find Excel but only get Uopdates. PC is XP version with Works Suite 2002. A fe months back my dear wife was downloading Excel an got board with waiting and shut down the PC! Any suggestions. Thanks Karl Hi there's no legal way to download Excel!! You have to buy< an Excel version and install it on your PC (or try to open the file with MS Works - but live with the restricted functionality) >-----Original Message----- >When downloading excel files AOL says cannot find >suitable progra...