Excel Report Builder and Parameters

Is there a way to prompt a user for parameters in the Excel sheet that was
created from Excel Report builder?  I can't edit it in MS Query.

The parameters with MS Query don't work with the Excel reports because
they are different connection types. (ODBC vs. ODC) Any parameters
need to be built into the Excel report. You can change the raw SQL for
the Excel report in Excel but MS Query style parameters don't work.

Mark

On Feb 1, 2:40=A0pm, barbola <barb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to prompt a user for parameters in the Excel sheet that wa=
> created from Excel Report builder? =A0I can't edit it in MS Query. =A0

0
Mark
2/1/2010 8:46:48 PM
On Feb 1, 11:40=A0am, barbola <barb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to prompt a user for parameters in the Excel sheet that wa=
> created from Excel Report builder? =A0I can't edit it in MS Query. =A0

If you are interested in a new Excel Report Writer than has parameters
you can look at BI 360.

http://www.solverusa.com/products/bi360.htm

Jim Hummer
Solver
0
Jim
2/2/2010 9:30:24 PM
Thanks to both. I was hoping to avoid having all the data pulled into Excel
which is what I see happening if the user has to open the worksheet before
entering parameters (without resorting to VBA).

We already use XL Reporter from Solver and love it! I will take a quick look
at Bi360 but will most likely use the tools we currently have available to us
including SQL Reporting Services.

thanks.

On Feb 3, 7:16=A0am, barbola <barb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Thanks to both. I was hoping to avoid having all the data pulled into Exc=
el
> which is what I see happening if the user has to open the worksheet befor=
> entering parameters (without resorting to VBA).
>
> We already use XL Reporter from Solver and love it! I will take a quick l=
ook
> at Bi360 but will most likely use the tools we currently have available t=
o us
> including SQL Reporting Services.
>
> thanks.
>

> "Jim Hummer" wrote:
> > On Feb 1, 11:40 am, barbola <barb...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Is there a way to prompt a user for parameters in the Excel sheet tha=
t was
> > > created from Excel Report builder? =A0I can't edit it in MS Query. =
=A0

> > If you are interested in a new Excel Report Writer than has parameters
> > you can look at BI 360.
>
> >http://www.solverusa.com/products/bi360.htm
>
> > Jim Hummer
> > Solver

Actually BI 360 works differently then XLR that you have an Excel
Worksheet with a player and then you can update the parameters and
refresh your report.    Similar to SSRS except it is in Excel.

Jim
0
Jim

How do I add a total to a stacked bar graph in Excel
I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar graphs. Does anyone know how to add a total on a stcaked graph? I can add individual values but I am looking for total per bar. the simplest way is to copy the data with the totals into the chart. select the section of the bar equal to the totals and change the axis to secondary add the series values and in paterns select none for fill and line. in th elegehgend select the line for the totals and clar all. "Greg L" wrote: > I am using Excel for some graphs in Powerpoint and we are using stacked bar...

macros in excel #4
Is it possible to set up a macro in excel to print report with conditions "Jai" wrote: > Is it possible to set up a macro in excel to print report with conditions Can you elaborate on "Conditions" and what kind of report it is? May be I can pitch in .. I am a beginner too, but I can look around. I am trying to set up a report from database of vendors. Each vendor has it's own number. Some vendors are grouped together. In report, there should be list of each vendors and all grouped vedors should have subtotal for its data. I know it's easy to do a subt...

export excel macros
I am gettting a new computer from my IT staff this week. Is there a way to backup all my personal macros. I have done a search for personal.xls and have not come up with anything. Can anyone provide answers. Brad Wilson nctarheelfan@hotmail.com Hi search for your personal.xls in your xlstart folder -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Brad wrote: > I am gettting a new computer from my IT staff this week. Is there a > way to backup all my personal macros. I have done a search for > personal.xls and have not come up with anything. Can anyone provide > answers. &...

Excel Database
I'm developing a database in Excel and I need some help with macros. The scenario: It's a database of drink short takes for a bar. Each tab has a different summary category, such as spirits, wines, cocktails, etc... Cells in each summary tab links to a new tab, where the data for that entry is explained (the short take sheets themselves). Short take planner Now, imagine a simple monthly calendar, each cell corresponding to each day of the month that has a drop down list of values to choose from. First, I would like to make this drop down list show data from the...

Preserving Cell Formats in Excel Query
I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't carry through to the query results. Is there a way to carry original formatting through to Excel Query results Any insight would be appreciated Karen S No, you can import the data, but not the formats. If you're importing programmatically, you could apply the formatting as part of the import procedure. Karen S wrote: > I am doing queries on a large workbook of multiple Excel spreadsheets. When I query the data, the original data formats don't car...

Hidden data when pasting from html page into Excel?
I have a situation where I copy a report, which is generated as an html page, into Excel for analysis. When a new copy/version of the report is available, I copy and paste the new data over top of the old in Excel. I've noticed that the size of my Excel file is growing after each copy/paste situation. To manage this, I can delete the worksheet where I paste the data and reconstruct it. After doing nothing else, saving the workbook results in an immediate reduction of file size. If I simply select everything on the sheet and delete, the file size does NOT go down; I have to delet...

Chart wizard funcitonality in Excel 2007?
I hope I'm missing something in Excel 2007. In Excel 2003, the chart wizard gives you access to lots of options when you create a graph--graph type, data range, the various series (including the X axis labels), the chart title and axis titles, gridlines, legends, and others. It doesn't take long to create the graph with most of the options you want and then tweak it pretty quickly. In Excel 2007, it seems that every option is a separate button/menu/choice. Setting the chart title, the x-axis title, and the y-axis title are three different operations. Ditto for pretty much everyt...

divide so no error Excel 2007
I have a simple issue. I have two cells with numbers and I want to divide one by the other and set it up on many cells. Problem is if I enter the folmula befor there are actually numbers in the two cells I get the Divide by 0 error (#DIV/0!) So How can I divide A2 / B2 only if it won't produce an error? =IF(B2=0,0,A2/B2) -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Striker" <striker3070@qwest.net> wrote in message news:%23CnsJAoRJHA.5244@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... >I have a simple issue. I have two cells with numbers and I want to divide >one by the other and set it up ...

Historical Excel question re: statistical capabilities
Does anyone know approximately when Excel started shipping with statistical functions built in- or know how I can find out? In the pre-spreadsheet days of my computing past, I used BASIC to code statistical functions necessary for my profession. As spreadsheets became more advanced, we all transitioned to using the advanced functionality. My question is when did this occur? Did Excel always have its current complement of statistical functions? Thanks slingsh0t@hotmail.com shared this with us in microsoft.public.excel.misc: > Does anyone know approximately when Excel started shipping...

Formula result shows as zero Excel 2003
Formula as shown =IF(C12<>"",+C11-C12,"") appears in D12. This is the same formula as rows above but rows above show correct result whereas D12 and subsequent rows show only zero. If I do an F2 and F9, the correct result shows in the Formula Editing bar so formula is working correctly. I have tried copying both formula and cell formatting from previous rows which do display their result correctly but still doesn't fix the problem. Any assistance would be much appreciated Hi maybe automatic calculation is disabled. Check 'Tools - Options - Calculate...

Report Options
Hi Everyone, Using Excel 2003. I usually use excel to make forms (glorified word processing) I have recently started to paste data from an Access database tables, and queries into excel. I would like to know how I should set up my spreadsheet to show my data by month, quarter and then yearly. I want my report to show an average percent for the month of April, May, etc then other cells that show the percent per quarter. I don't necessarily need you to tell me how to do it step by step because I think it is going to be alot of steps. For right now, I have 2 sheets and ...

Problems with Access 2000 reports in Access 2003
Hi, we have a sent out a 2000 format access database to a client running Access 2003. When trying to open any of the reports they get an error - "the openreport action was cancelled" - Not sure if they get this by running the report from the database window or if it's only when done through a form (buttons that run docmd.openreport when pressed). Is anyone aware of any issues that may be causing this? I couldn't find anything elsewhere on the MS site. Thanks - Angie P.S. the reports work fine in 2000 and XP. ...

Designing a report based on a crosstabe
Hello! Hope someone can help cause this is getting into my nerves... I have a crosstabe that I run with a parameter for "date of sales". Date of Sale is my column and the results are showed per month. So I run the query and set the dates from 01/jan/07 to 31/july/07 and the query returns the 7 months I want (mm/yy). How could I design a report that that would run with various parameters? From what I understood so far, the field in the report must necessarily have the name of the result achieved (ex. 01/07, 02/07, 03/07...). Hope I made myself understandable... Cheers everyon...

opening excel worksheet
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel whenever I try to open an existing excel worksheet it opens very short. I have to drag it down to the bottom of the screen, is there a setting that i need to adjust? No, simply SAVE the workbook after you adjust it. Next time, it will open at the size you want. On 27/03/10 6:42 AM, in article 59bb6065.-1@webcrossing.JaKIaxP2ac0, "scrapper@officeformac.com" <scrapper@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel > wh...

mySQL datetime field reports as Long Integer with ODBC
I'm using Access 2003 as a reporting tool against a mySQL database, connecting with the mySQL ODBC driver 3.51.17. The ODBC driver reports every datetime field as a Long Integer in Access. This makes date operations problematic. I notice an interesting post in this forum from 2005 that would work fine ("Convert UNIX time to windows general date"), but using a function with every row seems like an unnecessary performance hit. Also, it seems counter-intuitive that the driver doesn't recognize the correct field type. The problem looks suspiciously like the mySQL bug rep...

Using Queries in Excel
What are the best practices for using database-like queries in Excel. Let's say you wish to join to sheets together och view a subset of columns in a third sheet. I've tried several different methods, but I dont think any of them are completely good. I've used VLookup, Index, MS Query. (MS Query must be the must forgotten MS product in history. It's like a time machine back to Windows 3.11) I've also tried alot of different methods for searching a range, based on more than one criteria, and display the result, either a single value or a sum based on several rows. Here i&#...

Report Manager #4
Hi I have created a cusomised toolbar but when I customise the toolbar I cannot find "Report Manager" anywhere to add to it. The odd thing is that it is on the main menu but does not appear in the customisable dialogue box. Does anyone know where to find it, so I can put it on my toolbar. Cheers -- All help much appreciated. Thanks I'm guessing you created this customized toolbar manually (not by code). If that's the case and you have "report manager" under the existing tools menu already (or is it under Data???). Tools|Customize (just to see that dialog ...

Connecting Crystal Reports
I've created my ODBC connections and I can see in Crystal Reports my "Great Plains" connection. I know exactly which tables I want to pull my reports from but all I see are these ZDP_Tables. I believe these are stored procedure tables. For example I would like to use the CPY10100 (EE card table) but I see a few ZDP_CPY10100N_1;1, ZDP_CPY10100N_2;1, ZDP_CPY10100N_3;1 and so on. These tables have some of the columes I need but not all. Why would I know be able to see the table doesn't anyone have any idea? If you look at the screen in which you configure your data sour...

Best tool for adding a pivot chart like chart to a report?
Is it the PivotChart form or should I used the MSChart OCX? Which is easier to set up/configure to display the data properly? (A multi-column, multi-entity bar chart) Which is the most flexible? And where can I find tutorials on using both? Thanks Kyle Jedrusiak ...

Print all records on a report ONLY IF Invoice NO is same
How do I get all the detail records for the same invoice no. to appear on the same page? Presumably you have 2 tables, such as: - tblInvoice (the header record), with fields: o InvoiceID primary key o ClientID relates to tblClient.Client o InvoiceDate Date/Time - tblInvoiceDetail (the line items), with fields: o InvoiceID relates to tblIvoice.InvoiceID o ProductID relates to tblProduct.ProductID o Quantity Number o PriceEach Currency etc. To create a report that looks like an invoice: 1. Create a query that uses both tables, along with...

Import plain text with formulas into Excel
I'm having some trouble in Excel. If I create a plain text file like the following: 1,2,3 4,5,6 =sum(a1:a2), =sum(b1:b2) Nothing can be done as if in spanish is (SI), iserror is (ESERROR), and so on. This really sucks as I can't just install other software on the server nor make other modifications. I don't know what Microsoft was thinking when they translated the versions; any Excel version should accept it's language commands and English commands, but well, that's too much to ask for... Any good sugestions? Regards -- schmiedel ---------------------------------...

cannot filter excel files in "files of type"
I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter based on Excel files in "Files of type". Excel is the listed but other like Word are. The entire Office 2003 suite is installed on the PC and I tried reinstalling to no avail. Also, Customize is grayed-out under the tools menu in Outlook\new mail message. Please help me out. thanks. Sorry, I mean to say Excel is NOT listed under "Files of Type" "wli2k2" wrote: > I have Outlook 2003, and when I try to add an attachment, I cannot filter > based on Excel files in "Files ...

Text fields in report writer
I have a modified report dictionary, when I go into a report layout and enter a text field, when I tab off the field what I wrote is converted to something totally different. Has anyone seen this before? Reports that I have been using for months suddenly the text fields print something totally different. ????? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thank you! Hi J. We use a shared dictionary located on our server, and I find text fields do not "travel" well - ie. I often lose info if I export a report out of the dictionary to work on it. What I do is make a copy of the enti...

excel error "no more new fonts..."
Using Excel 2002. Pretty large sheet with about 60 tables. refuses to copy and paste a table. Getting error message "no more new fonts may be added to this workbook" cannot find anything anywhere on this error. ...

Formatting hyperlinks in an Excel cell 02-16-10
Two of the columns in a spreadsheet (Excel 2003) that I use record email and web addresses. All of them appear as hyperlinks i.e. blue and underlined but some occasionally seem to lose their hyperlink properties. This means that when one hovers over them, the cursor stays as the usual Excel cross rather than changing to the hand/finger symbol. Also, clicking on the former does not launch the browser. Is there any way to ensure they are formatted, and work, as hyperlinks please? TIA V ...