Does GP allow for different Account Formats for multiple Companies

Hi All,

I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
How can I change the account framework for the new company?

Thanks for your help.
--
TC
0

If they are different databases simply go to Tools >> Setup>>Company

--
Leslie Vail, CPA, MCT, MVP
MCBSP-Application for Microsoft Dynamics GP

"TC" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
> have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
> How can I change the account framework for the new company?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> TC
Thanks Leslie,

I did this and I cannot change my account segment length.  I think I messed
up when I set-up the original company.  Do you know of a way to reset the
Account Framework in GP 10?  I have the Cahart of Accounts imported into the
original company but nothing else.  I can re-import if I need to.

Thanks
--
TC

"Leslie Vail [MVP]" wrote:

> If they are different databases simply go to Tools >> Setup>>Company
> >>Account Format.
>

> --
> Leslie Vail, CPA, MCT, MVP
> MCBSP-Application for Microsoft Dynamics GP
> MCBSP-Installation and Configuration for Microsoft Dynamics GP
>   cell: 972-814-8550
>   fax: 972-692-7472
>

> "TC" wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
> > have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
> > How can I change the account framework for the new company?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > TC
0
tc1 (130)
12/8/2008 7:26:00 PM
You can change the account framework in the Account Format Setup window.

Tools >> Setup >> Company >> Account Format

Craig

"TC" wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
> have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
> How can I change the account framework for the new company?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> TC
0
Craig1 (222)
12/8/2008 7:26:01 PM
TC,

The account framework and account format are two different animals.
You set the account framework up when you install GP.  It defines the
maximum account length, number of segments, and maximum segment
length.

The only way to change it after installation is to use PSTL's or CRG's
account modifier tools.  However, you could just remove and reinstall
GP since all you've doen is import the COA.  This might be quicker and
less expensive if you don't already have the modifier tools.

Hope this helps,

Frank Hamelly
MCP-GP, MCT, MVP
East Coast Dynamics
www.eastcoast-dynamics.com
blog: http://gp2themax.blogspot.com

0
fhamelly1 (1404)
12/8/2008 8:39:53 PM
>You can change the account framework in the Account Format Setup window.
[sic]<

Account Framework IS NOT the same as Account Format.

Changing the account format is not difficult. If no data has been entered,
you can just delete any account numbers that have been created or imported
and adjust the format as you see fit within the constraints of the framework.
If transactions have been entered, you may explore other options. At any
point, you can increase the account format up to the lengths defined by the
framework. The only caveat to this is that any existing accounts will
automatically get spaces for the extra characters and segments, introducing
blank spaces, which are not typically accepted by accountants.

At this point, you will have to acquire Professional Services Tools Library
(PSTL) Account Modifier tool or Corporate Renaissance Group's Changer tool to
modify the existing accounts to new account numbers. Both tools are
relatively easy to work with and are usable after installed.

Decreasing the account format is a whole other story. It can be done but may
require a tool like the Dynamics GP Re-Formatter (also by Corporate
Renaissance), as the standard Dynamics GP logic will not allow you to
decrease the account format after accounts and activity have been added.

To understand these concepts, please check the following article by
Christina Phillips at Dynamics GP Land
http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2008/09/framework-format-goose.html.

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"Craig" wrote:

> You can change the account framework in the Account Format Setup window.
>
> Tools >> Setup >> Company >> Account Format
>
> Craig
>

> "TC" wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
> > have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
> > How can I change the account framework for the new company?
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > TC
0
MarianoGomez (3440)
12/8/2008 8:45:00 PM
Thank you Frank and Mariano.

I ended up removing and re-installing Great Plains.  Since i did not have
much in there it was the easiest thing to do.

--
TC

"Mariano Gomez" wrote:

> >You can change the account framework in the Account Format Setup window.
> [sic]<
>
> Account Framework IS NOT the same as Account Format.
>
> Changing the account format is not difficult. If no data has been entered,
> you can just delete any account numbers that have been created or imported
> and adjust the format as you see fit within the constraints of the framework.
> If transactions have been entered, you may explore other options. At any
> point, you can increase the account format up to the lengths defined by the
> framework. The only caveat to this is that any existing accounts will
> automatically get spaces for the extra characters and segments, introducing
> blank spaces, which are not typically accepted by accountants.
>
> At this point, you will have to acquire Professional Services Tools Library
> (PSTL) Account Modifier tool or Corporate Renaissance Group's Changer tool to
> modify the existing accounts to new account numbers. Both tools are
> relatively easy to work with and are usable after installed.
>
> Decreasing the account format is a whole other story. It can be done but may
> require a tool like the Dynamics GP Re-Formatter (also by Corporate
> Renaissance), as the standard Dynamics GP logic will not allow you to
> decrease the account format after accounts and activity have been added.
>
> To understand these concepts, please check the following article by
> Christina Phillips at Dynamics GP Land
> http://dynamicsgpland.blogspot.com/2008/09/framework-format-goose.html.
>
> Best regards,
> --
> MG.-
> Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP
> Maximum Global Business, LLC
> http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com
>

> "Craig" wrote:
>
> > You can change the account framework in the Account Format Setup window.
> >
> > Tools >> Setup >> Company >> Account Format
> >
> > Craig
> >

> > "TC" wrote:
> >
> > > Hi All,
> > >
> > > I am setting up a new client that has 3 different companies.  Two of them
> > > have the same GL framework.  The third has a diffferent account framework.
> > > How can I change the account framework for the new company?
> > >
> > > Thanks for your help.
> > > --
> > > TC
0
tc1 (130)

Watch Accounts
I've set up a watch account to use as a model for an investing strategy I'd like to try. In doing so, I want to be able to track theoretical purchases and sales of individual stocks. I want to track sales and realized gains on my Account Summary window, so I've customized my view to do that. After entering a purchase, the stock shows up just fine on my account summary, but after I sell all shares, it no longer shows up so I'm not able to track realized gains. How can I get Money to continue to display the stocks I no longer "own" in my watch account? a w...

multiple flyers per page?

Removing multiple users from Outlook

open two different Access reports

Multiple stacked bar charts

Converting Opportunity to Account

OLK 2k7

Setting up a new e-mail account

Multiple Simultaneous Outlook Sessions

Archiving Projects in Project Accounting
Has anyone found a way to archive closed projects? Thanks. ...

Fractions Number format

printing multiple copies of Sigel GmbH

GP 10 AP Reconciliation Statement
Hi All, I have one query about the reconcile feature that is available in GP 10 to reconcile the AP and AR to GL. It has come to my notice when i take a recon statement for AP it does not match with the AP historical aged trail balance after taking into consideration the unmatched and potentially matched transactions. I have taken the AP smartlist for the given period and compared it with the transaction being displayed in the recon statement. What has come to my notice is the recon statement is not taking few transaction like invoice or payment for some reason. I faced this issue with almo...

Mailboxsize is different
hi! i've got a crazy problem. when you look at the mailboxes in the exchange system manager, then you see, e.g. user xy with 220 mb mailboxsize. but when you look at the outlook, then the mailbox size is only 150 mb. but there are no filters or something else activated. and the problem is on the local outlook and on the terminalserver outlook. i hope someone has a solution about my problem. thanks. stefan ...