database compatibility SQL Server 2005

I am moving everything to a new MS Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server
2008. If you restore a database that was installed on the computer that is
running SQL Server 2005 and if you are moving the database to a computer that
is running SQL Server 2008, do you have to update the database compatibility
level for each database after the restore?

No, but you should if you want to take full advantage of all of SQL Server
2008 features..

Best regards,
--
MG.-
Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP

"tstrop" wrote:

> I am moving everything to a new MS Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server
> 2008. If you restore a database that was installed on the computer that is
> running SQL Server 2005 and if you are moving the database to a computer that
> is running SQL Server 2008, do you have to update the database compatibility
> level for each database after the restore?
KB article 878449 addresses moving to a new SQL server and includes the  step
to update the compatibility level.

I've been to sites where the compatibility level was not changed and GP
worked fine but I've also seen an instance where a service pack would't load
until the proper compatibility level was entered.

Hope that helps.

Claude

"tstrop" wrote:

> I am moving everything to a new MS Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server
> 2008. If you restore a database that was installed on the computer that is
> running SQL Server 2005 and if you are moving the database to a computer that
> is running SQL Server 2008, do you have to update the database compatibility
> level for each database after the restore?
Once I restore the dynamics database and the company databases and install
Server and Client installation on the new server will that already contain
SP3 that I had applied?

"tstrop" wrote:

> I am moving everything to a new MS Windows Server 2008 box with SQL Server
> 2008. If you restore a database that was installed on the computer that is
> running SQL Server 2005 and if you are moving the database to a computer that
> is running SQL Server 2008, do you have to update the database compatibility
> level for each database after the restore?

exchange server side rules not working
Hi there We are running Exchange 2003 on a Small Business Server computer. A couple of weeks ago server-side rules created in Outlook stopped working. For instance, one rule forwards all incoming messages to my BlackBerry, and though the rule itself hasn't changed, it no longer works. I can't find anything on the net about troubleshooting server-side rules on Exchange Server. I would appreciate it if you could point me in the right direction Best regards Loane On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:47:31 +0200, "Loane Sharp" <look_sharp_not@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi there >W...

Can I install MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 for Win XP?
I am trying to install Microsoft Dynamics in Win xp, it gives an error saying MS Exchange server 2003 SP1 has to be istalle first Can I go ahead and install SP1 for win XP ( THIS IS AN OFFLINE INSTALLTION RIGHT NOW I am not using Exchange server to get my Email) Let me know how to install the same and teh precaution I have to take Most of the errors expected are given for WIN 200 SERVER & 2003 SERVER IN TECHNET HENCE THIS QUESTION TO TYE COMMUNITY Regards Harish Sorry - not even a hint of an Outlook related question. Try a forum for = Microsoft Dynamics. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP ...

Error, unable to connect to incoming server
I can't not receive mail from my server. I've contacted my internet provider and they said it was a software problem. Every time I changed my advanced settings and then log off of Outlook they change back to what they were when I go back into Outlook. Any advice? You probably have some anti-virus software that is changing your settings. Turn it off and see if that helps. -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Mills" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0...

lotro gold in all eu server wowmmocom.com
http://www.wowmmocom.com The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Belegaer - 10 $: 10.49 --------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Evernight - 10 $: 10.19 ------------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Maiar - 10 $: 10.69 ---------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Snowbourn - 10 $: 18.69 ----------------------------------------------------------- The Lord of the Rings (EU)--Eldar - 10 $: 10.25 ------------------------------------------------------ The Lord of the Rings (EU)-...

Database hanging up
I'm trying to delve into a database that was originally developed in earlier versions of Access, and now has been converted to Access 2007. All I'm doing right now is looking at objects and documenting them, but I'm finding frequent occurrences of the database hanging up (sometimes) when I open the query window for a form's record source, view it in SQL view, then close SQL view then try to close the query window. Any ideas on this wierdity? -- Carolyn Kay Chicago, IL I had a similar problem with a couple of Queries and Forms. I opened them in Design Vi...

Exchange 2000 Keeps Sending the same Mail each time the Server is Restarted.... !
Hi Folks; I'm running Exchange 2000 and I recently sent out email to 5,600 people that belong to my website. The problem is, each time I re-start the server it sends out all those emails - again. I've re-started the server 4 times now over the last few weeks (due to Windows Updates etc) and each time it sends the same emails to the same 5,600 people. Needless to say, people are starting to wonder about me ;-) Does anyone know what would cause Exchange 2000 to do this? Thanks! Marvin Hi, Look in the SMTP queue folder to see if the message is saved there. Leif "Marvin Mill...

Excel database update #3
Hi, Have an excel template that should send data into a excel database. When I run a marco, the database does not automatically update, but if i do it step by step it updates. ("MatTer1.xls") when saved should update the database, by creating a new record in the code hereunder ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized Windows("CHAVES.xls").Activate ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMaximized Selection.Copy ActiveCell.Offset(2, 0).Range("A1").Select ActiveSheet.Paste Application.CutCopyMode = False ActiveWindow.WindowState = xlMinimized ...

Switch To... while calling COM Server
Hi, everybody I'm calling some third party COM Server function from my MFC application. This functions brings up some third party dialog. During this dialog display after 5-6 seconds the dialog "Switch To... The action cannot be completed....Server is busy.." appears. After I close this third party dialog, I have to click "Switch To..." and the rest is fine. Is it possible to figure which other processes are trying to reach this COM Server? How to avoid the appearance of this "Switch To..." dialog? Thank you, Alex "Alex" <alsim123@hotmail.c...

Model Database in SQL server
I was just wondering what this model database is for. I was setting up a maintenance plan for SQL server 2005, specifically transaction log backup schedule. And I selected "Dynamics", " master", "model", "msdb" respectively from specific database drop down box. And only a transaction log of model database gets backed up and I assumed it is because no transaction has been entered into the system yet. So, I was wondering why only transaction log of model database got backed up, even other databases do not get backed up. Please let me know, akio...

CRM1.2 web server
I am doing an install of Exchange Router in the same domain as the CRM server but I am STILL only seeing the default web site. I tried this earlier with a trusted domain in a seperate forest, this problem reveals to now not be the trust but because I haven't got the Exchange Router on the CRM server. It works on SBS when installing on one box, anyone know of any issues with respect to it seeing the right web server when doing a medium deployment? It prompts during router installation for crm server name and URL. This is definitely working. However regardless of this it looks like its po...

Pls Help synch with MS Exchange server b4 I screw things up
I'm using : Outlook 2002 Exchange server (MSES) 2000 PC#1: set up; doing fine PC#2: need to set up Outlook and synch with MSES w/o screwing up MSES or PC#1 I'm trying to synch 2 separate computers...eg email, contacts, calendar, tasks... Currently have everything working well on pc#1....now need to set up on #2 I'm unclear as to the synch process w/ MSES.. On PC #2 have set set up folders exactly like #1.. Should I do PST export from 1 and import to #2? then synch with MSES? Or not import, and just synch with MSES...(I don't want to delete my files on MSES by syching wit...

3rd party hosting e-mail with local Exchange Server
Good evening! I have a silly question. Here is the situation: A company has an internal Exchange Server (2003 Standard SP2) but also has a third party hosting their e-mail (MX record points to the third party hosting company). Outlook 2003 is configured with two profiles. The first one (default) is a POP3/SMTP profile that points to the hosting company (so, pop.company.com and smtp.company.com) and the second profile is the 'Exchange' profile. The storage location used to be a local "outlook.pst" but this has recently been changed to the user's mailbox. My que...

Building New SBS2008 Server Hardware Question
I am going to spec out a new server for a client who will be running SBS2008 Advanced. They may or may not running the SQL on that physical box. Not sure yet. They key thing they have been having a problem with in their current SBS2003 is I/O speed of the HDs. (I think something is not right with the controller) and now the machine is almost 5 years old. It's time to upgrade their 15 user network. So in your "dream world". What would you make sure you include in the hardware and how would you configure it, including virtualizations. The customer uses Dell ...

Programmatically Update a Form's Combo Box Default Value and SQL Record Source
I have one Sales Activity form that I use for data entry and for viewing all records by Sales Person (EmployeeID). Without having to have multiple instances of this form, I want to accomplish the below; based on which EmployeeID (sales person) opens the form in either mode: 1. For the data entry mode – I want the Combo Box’s Default Value to change, based on my user (EmployeeID); 2. Show All Records mode – I want the SQL record source to filter on that sales person’s records (EmployeeID) I’ve got some code for passwords, so I hope I can utilize that part of it; I just do not know how to do ...

Backup and restore to new database
Hi I'm trying to take a backup in 2005 and restore it to multiple databases. It's part of a test environment we are trying to set up. I basically want to mimic the ability to completely overwrite the database which you can, or used to able to do, in the GUI. I'm getting errors about the tail log when backing up or that the files from the old data don't match the new database. Sorry I don't have exact errors or code to hand - it seems such a basic thing to do I was hoping someone would have a script. It needs to be TSQL as I'm going to be running it from s...

Smartlist Builder Smartlist based on new View in SQL 2008 with GP
Hi there, I created one smartlist based on a view in SQL 2008. Smartlist is ok and working fine with my user id and sa. But when I give security access to other users, they can see the Smartlist Option but when they click it they get error message that don't have rights to one of the table used in this smartlist. I also have given them Grants through SQL Server. But no effect. What is the problem? Naseer, Check my article on the subject at http://dynamicsgpblogster.blogspot.com/2008/12/smartlist-builder-security-for-sql.html. It explains an issue similar to the one you are havin...

How do I check port assignments on a Exchange server
Hi, I have a client who has access to the internet through my network. The client would like to create a pop session so that he can download his e-mails from Yahoo to Outlook. My problem is that when I configure his Outlook client to retrieve mail I get an error that it cannot connect. I believe this is a port identification issue. Can anyone tell me how to check what port Exchange is using to send and retrieve mail? On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 16:36:02 -0700, awd <awd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Hi, > >I have a client who has access to the internet through my network. ...

Consolidation of Mail Servers
Hi, I have to replace 2 of 6 exchange 2003 mail servers with 1 new email server (so i would have 4 intotal at the end). I am planning to setup the new exchange 2003 server, add it to the organisation as a totally new mail server, then i am planning to move all resources/mailboxes from the 2 mail servers that i am taking out, and only after all resources are re-homed on the new server will i un-install exchange from them. Am I on the right track or am I missing something? Thanks, That sounds find, just make sure one of those servers that you are retiring was not the first Exchange ...

Leading and trailing spaces trimmed with SQL XML
Hi, I am inserting data into a table using xml bulk insert. One of the field is of string type and contains data with leading and trailing spaces. But on insert the spaces automatically trimmed off. Can you please tell me how to avoid this trimming of spaces, as i have to insert data using xml. EXEC sp_xml_preparedocument @hDoc OUTPUT, @InsertLines INSERT INTO tblLine WITH (TABLOCKX) ([Text]) SELECT [Text] FROM OPENXML (@hDoc, '/Lines/Line', 1) WITH ([Text] nvarchar(max)) EXEC sp_xml_removedocument @hDoc Thank you Frank bad_clone (bad_clone@hotmail.com) writes: ...

Figuring sql server version via code
Hi Is it possible to check in .net; 1. If sql server 2008 express is installed on a machine? 2. The name of sql server 2008 express instance or instances? 3. If a particular sql server 2008 express instance contains a specific database? Many Thanks Regards You can use several methods to enumerate SQL Server instances. Here are a couple: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/a6t1z9x2.aspx http://www.sqldbatips.com/showarticle.asp?ID=45 To determine whether a specific instance contains a certain database, you can connect to the instance's master databa...

Quick Campaign
I'm trying to create a report on some Quick Campaigns I've created. Does anyone know where Quick Campaign data is stored? What tables? Using v3.0 Thanks! James ...

PFMigrate and removal of last 5.5 Server #2
I setup a new 2003 server in a new AD with trust to the NT domain. I then created a new Exchange 2003 server in Co-Existence with the 5.5 server. I am preparing to remove my last/only 5.5 server. I used pfmigrate to replicate/move the folders to my 2003 server. The old server is currently off and has been off for a few weeks now. The replication setup is still there and building in size..not an issue as far as I am concerned. Here is my question. Do I have to bring up the old server to use PFMigrate to delete the pub folders on the old server before I remove the server from my co-existe...

Outlook exchange server kepping files on server
How do I set up an outlook xp client to exchange server so that mail is not automatically removed from the server? I would like to still have access through web access but currnently find that when i use outlook it takes the files off the server making the web mail in box always empty. Sounds like you're using a PST file to get your Exchange mail as opposed to using your mailbox and offline folders (OST file). You might want to check with your admin about setting you up with offline folders "peter" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:219f01c3e0...

Just upgraded to Office 2008, can't find Entourage database
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: imap I just upgraded from Office 2004 to 2008, completed the install, but when I attempt to open Entourage, I get the message: &quot;Entourage Cannot access your data. To attempt to fix the problem, rebuild your database.&quot; The problem is, no database is listed on the database utility. Another posting suggested that the database is too corrupted to even be found, but it opens up and works fine in Entourage 2004. What to do? Dear Joel: joelm@officeformac.com wrote: >Version: 20...

Update standard costs via SQL
What tables in SQL need to be updated to change the standard costs of items when Manufacturing is being used? This is a new company that is being setup. Test transactions have been run and cleared out, so system will not allow update in Item Maintenance screen. There are currently no inventory items on hand, so there will be not be any GL transactions. Hi Matthew, I worked in the past for a company that used to update (upload should I say) the inventory costs for entire series of item thru Excel into GP. If I'm not mistaken, you should look at the table ICIV0323... and then ...