cutting payables checks

Hello:

A client is complaining that the payables staff is finding the Select Checks 
window very stiff and that it is hard to process payables checks in GP.

They say that using payables edit lists to determine which vendors or 
invoices are due for payment is not a feasible solution.  Therefore, they are 
not sure how to use the payment selection drop-down lists--too cumbersome.

So, they go into the Edit Payables Checks without building a batch.  And, 
then, they complain that it is too easy to cut a check for a vendor that is 
not due for payment.

I suppose that I could suggest that they print a cash requirements report.  
But, something tells me that they may have already thought of this and don't 
like this either.

What do some of your clients do in terms of processing payables checks?  Are 
there any shortcuts that they use that I could pass along to our client?

Thanks!

childofthe1980s
0
8/8/2007 12:36:19 AM
greatplains 29623 articles. 6 followers. Follow

3 Replies
474 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 7

Well, they actually use the payment cut-off date when building the
batch!!!!

-- 
Lyle U


childofthe1980s wrote:

> Hello:
> 
> A client is complaining that the payables staff is finding the Select
> Checks window very stiff and that it is hard to process payables
> checks in GP.
> 
> They say that using payables edit lists to determine which vendors or 
> invoices are due for payment is not a feasible solution.  Therefore,
> they are not sure how to use the payment selection drop-down
> lists--too cumbersome.
> 
> So, they go into the Edit Payables Checks without building a batch.
> And, then, they complain that it is too easy to cut a check for a
> vendor that is not due for payment.
> 
> I suppose that I could suggest that they print a cash requirements
> report.  But, something tells me that they may have already thought
> of this and don't like this either.
> 
> What do some of your clients do in terms of processing payables
> checks?  Are there any shortcuts that they use that I could pass
> along to our client?
> 
> Thanks!
> 
> childofthe1980s
0
lyleu (305)
8/8/2007 2:12:58 AM
I have found that the Select Checks window is useful in the following 
circumstances:

- if you're going to pay everyone, or almost everyone with a few exceptions
- if you are always entering the correct due dates (or using correct payment 
terms) when entering payables invoices and simply cut checks using a cut off 
due date
- if you are using payment priorities or vendor classes to cut checks to all 
vendors in a certain 'group'

In all the scenarios above, the batch is built pretty quickly, then the edit 
list is verified and some small changes are made, then checks are cut.  I 
think this is the quickest and easiest way to select a large number of 
checks to pay, but not all companies have a work flow that fits with this.

If the Select Checks process doesn't fit with the company's work flow, what 
most of our customers do is get a list of all their open payables (typically 
they dump this to Excel from SmartList), go through that list to determine 
what should be paid, then use either the Edit Check Batch or the Edit 
Payables Checks screens to build their check batch.

If your client is finding that none of these options are working for them, I 
guess the next question is...how would they like for it to work?  Did they 
have another system that did something different that they liked?  If they 
are able to give you some constructive criticism instead of just saying it 
doesn't work for them, I think you would be a in much better position to 
help them.

-- 
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP
Flexible Solutions, Inc.


"childofthe1980s" <childofthe1980s@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in 
message news:0F2E0B08-9585-41CB-878D-A20291CE0B9E@microsoft.com...
> Hello:
>
> A client is complaining that the payables staff is finding the Select 
> Checks
> window very stiff and that it is hard to process payables checks in GP.
>
> They say that using payables edit lists to determine which vendors or
> invoices are due for payment is not a feasible solution.  Therefore, they 
> are
> not sure how to use the payment selection drop-down lists--too cumbersome.
>
> So, they go into the Edit Payables Checks without building a batch.  And,
> then, they complain that it is too easy to cut a check for a vendor that 
> is
> not due for payment.
>
> I suppose that I could suggest that they print a cash requirements report.
> But, something tells me that they may have already thought of this and 
> don't
> like this either.
>
> What do some of your clients do in terms of processing payables checks? 
> Are
> there any shortcuts that they use that I could pass along to our client?
>
> Thanks!
>
> childofthe1980s 

0
victoria (3340)
8/8/2007 1:16:42 PM
I have to agree with Victoria. You don't say what version they are on
but with the addition of the Edit Payables Check Batch window, GP now
supports every version of AP processing that I've seen.

I'm interested to know what they want to do as well.

Mark (DynamicAccounting.net)




On Aug 8, 9:16 am, "Victoria [MVP]" <victo...@flex-solutions.com>
wrote:
> I have found that the Select Checks window is useful in the following
> circumstances:
>
> - if you're going to pay everyone, or almost everyone with a few exceptions
> - if you are always entering the correct due dates (or using correct payment
> terms) when entering payables invoices and simply cut checks using a cut off
> due date
> - if you are using payment priorities or vendor classes to cut checks to all
> vendors in a certain 'group'
>
> In all the scenarios above, the batch is built pretty quickly, then the edit
> list is verified and some small changes are made, then checks are cut.  I
> think this is the quickest and easiest way to select a large number of
> checks to pay, but not all companies have a work flow that fits with this.
>
> If the Select Checks process doesn't fit with the company's work flow, what
> most of our customers do is get a list of all their open payables (typically
> they dump this to Excel from SmartList), go through that list to determine
> what should be paid, then use either the Edit Check Batch or the Edit
> Payables Checks screens to build their check batch.
>
> If your client is finding that none of these options are working for them, I
> guess the next question is...how would they like for it to work?  Did they
> have another system that did something different that they liked?  If they
> are able to give you some constructive criticism instead of just saying it
> doesn't work for them, I think you would be a in much better position to
> help them.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP
> Flexible Solutions, Inc.
>
> "childofthe1980s" <childofthe19...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> messagenews:0F2E0B08-9585-41CB-878D-A20291CE0B9E@microsoft.com...
>
>
>
> > Hello:
>
> > A client is complaining that the payables staff is finding the Select
> > Checks
> > window very stiff and that it is hard to process payables checks in GP.
>
> > They say that using payables edit lists to determine which vendors or
> > invoices are due for payment is not a feasible solution.  Therefore, they
> > are
> > not sure how to use the payment selection drop-down lists--too cumbersome.
>
> > So, they go into the Edit Payables Checks without building a batch.  And,
> > then, they complain that it is too easy to cut a check for a vendor that
> > is
> > not due for payment.
>
> > I suppose that I could suggest that they print a cash requirements report.
> > But, something tells me that they may have already thought of this and
> > don't
> > like this either.
>
> > What do some of your clients do in terms of processing payables checks?
> > Are
> > there any shortcuts that they use that I could pass along to our client?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> > childofthe1980s- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -


0
mpolino (496)
8/8/2007 1:41:48 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Multiple companies / 1 report dictionary / 3 different check stubs
We currently use a modified "Direct Deposit Statement of Earnings" and Employee Checks Stub on Top and Bottom - L" reports to print paychecks/direct deposit statements. We need 3 versions of this modified report because we have three different companies and the checks require 3 different signatures. Other than the different signatures, the report layouts are identical. We use one reports dictionary for all three companies. How best to achieve this? Best regards, Caroline This is what I would try. You have one format for a check and you can export it out from tool...

Check value range, then return spesific number?
Hi. I want to implement a function in my spreadsheet, that gives me this: When I enter a number into a cell, another number shows in another cell, based upon the number first entered. A bit more spesific: The idea is to calculate the number of instructors needed for a week end seminar. 1 participant requires 1 instructor. Same for 2 participants, and 3. 4, 5 and 6 participants requires 2 instructors. 7, 8 and 9 participants requires 3 instructors. And so on. For every 3 participant, we apply 1 instructor. So, i.e. if I enter the number 5, i want the number 2 in the cell below. I trie...

Payables Issue-wrong check amount-please HELP
I am using GP 9.0 and have encountered a problem in payables management. This is the second time this has happened. We enter an invoice for $350 for a particular invoice. When its time to pay the invoice, we notice the balance is 320. As we inquire to see why-we don't see any credit memos applied to the invoice. I have done a reconcile with no changes. I don't know what to do but to put in a fake invoice to get it back to $350 so that we can pay the right amount. Does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?? Any input is appreciated Thanks Barb Barb: Have you tri...

Excluding multiple checking accounts from budget totals?
Howdy! Running Money06, and I have two checking accounts synching through Bank of America. Everything there is working well, but one thing that I dont like is that the totals for BOTH accounts are added together. I have two accounts, 'personal' and 'class', and both accounts are shown in the net balance statements, the 'spending by catagory' chart on the home page etc. I would like to keep synched with my class account, but want it excluded from all of the balances.. any suggestions? "Raichean" <Raichean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in mes...

how to filter 'check boxes' in crystal/.def reports
I have a client that needs to filter out the inactive inventroy items from a Crystal report. I can add the right field to the .def file so that the Active/inactive becomes an option to filter on, but what's the right 'answer' to the field. inactive = 1 inactive = yes etc.?? Is it even possible to filter on these types of table columns using the Crystal reports format? Here is my inactive field added as a criteria option along with a working store id option: FIELD = STORE ID (internal), {itemdynamic.storeID}, 0, 0, -1, 0 FIELD = Active/inactive, ...

inventory check helpers blessed
This is an example inventory sheet: A | B | C D 1 Code | Serial N. | Description | False/true 2 XYZ2 | 6835HF | MY RASOR | 3 XYW1 | 79632F | MY SOAP | 4 YSW2 | H8850 | MY UNDERW | 10 CHECK ITEM | * * WHICH FORMULA I HAVE TO USE IF I INPUT A VALUE ON CELL C10 (EXACTELY EQUAL TO ONE OF THOSE CONTAINED ON COLUMN B) AND HAVE AS RESULT THE CHANGE OF VALUE (I.E. F or T; 1 or 2) IN COLUMN D ONLY IN THE ROW IN WHICH THE VALUE IS CONTAINED ? ...

FW: Check out corrective update for Microsoft Windows
--sliujiore Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="zthgctxf"; type="multipart/alternative" --zthgctxf Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="nsjtdzuhxfdunaqs" --nsjtdzuhxfdunaqs Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft Client this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which resolves all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to continue keeping yo...

Check Box to display records with completed status only
Hi, I have a query whereby a record is lablelled complete if the "Completed date" field has a date in it, otherwise it is blank. I want to check box on a form when ticked, to display a report with completed records only. Can anyone help? Thanks, B/ On your form, you have a command button to open the report, and a check box named (say) chkCompleteOnly. If the check box is checked, you want to open the report to show only the records that have a date in the [Completed date] field. The event procedure for the command button's Click event would look like this: Priv...

Access 97 automatic spell check corrupting data
I dont know if I've picked up a virus or what, but I've just found that if I enter, for example, HSA in a field, it automatically changes to HAS . It seems to be carrying out an automatic spell correction. Any help appreceiated. change the AutoCorrect Property for the Control to no Pieter "Nags" <Nags@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F1BE9079-E58C-4E95-AF82-666829C21024@microsoft.com... >I dont know if I've picked up a virus or what, but I've just found that if >I > enter, for example, HSA in a field, it automatically changes to HA...

Outlook 2003 rules, check messages after sending, not working
Since upgrading to Outlook 2003 (from 2000) we are experiencing problem when using rules and sending messages from other applications (a attachment) We have some rules defined that check messages after sending, dependin on certain words in the subject, the message is moved to another folder This works with no problems when sending messages via outlook but whe sending (as attachment) with word, for example, the message does no get moved. This worked with no problems in Outlook 2000. Also still occurs afte SP2 installation. :( Any advice would be appreciated -- rowland -------------------...

double address import check
Hi, Microsoft CRM has a nice function to import new addresses into CRM. Only minus is that it won't check for double addresses. I'm curious if someone has a great solution for this. Some nice MS CRM add-on which can check if their are possible double addresses in the database. kind regards, Michel www.notetaker.nl version 3 will have some nice features for identifying and merging duplicate records. Dave "Michel//www.notetaker.nl" <info@nospamnotetaker.nl> wrote in message news:ex%236GQMpFHA.2904@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > Microsoft CRM has a ...

invoices previously paid still showing on payables check stub
Hello: A client is using the payables check with two stubs on bottom per the TechKnowledge article number 864284. Although the checkbox in Payables Setup for Print Previously Paid Documents on Remittance is unchecked, the client says that previously paid documents are still showing on the check stub. We have, also, run reconcile and check links but to no effect. What should be done in order to get these previously paid invoices off of the check stub? Thanks! childofthe1980s I suspect that these invoices were paid by manual payments. Techknowledge 863798 "Manual payments sho...

Check boxes and conditional formatting
I'm still working with a worksheet, and I got it so if you type or select from a list the word "TRUE" into a cell in column G, then columns A-F in that row will have their font changed to bright red. So that's figured out. But if I want to get all fancy and put a checkbox or radio button in each cell of the G column that will do the same thing (change the font color of the row to red, then back to black when unchecked) how do I do that? I got a macro to work on checking the box, although I don't know how easily I can copy and paste it all for 1500+ rows) but I...

Checking a Check Box in Excel
How do I check a check box in Excel. I need to know what to put in Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() 'this bit here' End Su -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Private Sub CheckBox1_Click() if checkbox1.Value = True then msgbox "box is checked" else msgbox "box is not checked" End if End Sub -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy "Frenchie" <Frenchie.yhnem@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:Frenchie.yhnem@excelforum-nospam.com... > How do I check a check box in Excel. I need to know what to put in > > Private Sub CheckBox1_...

preprinted check numbers and overflow stubs
Hi, Can anyone tell me: 1. Hows does GP treat check numbers when an overflow stub prints on the next preprinted prenumbered check. Will it know to jump one check number? 2. How does the overflow stub work. When I print a check with a stub that overruns no second overflow page prints. Is there a missing step? Thanks -- Jaime Jaime, The default GP behavior is: 1. all the checks will print, one check to a page 2. if any remittance information did not fit on the check stub, after the checks are printed the 'Process Payables Checks' window will pop up (instead of the usual 'P...

Repeating columns cuts off merged cells
Hi all, I hope you can help because I can't find a solution to this one. I've got a two page spreadsheet (side by side) and I'm trying to repeat columns A & B because their row headings on the left and should only appear when printed (split onto two pages) (as in print setup > columns to repeat at left > $A:$B), ...... but B57:I57 are merged and wrapped (another grief that merged wrapped cells don't auto height, but that's for another day) and so are B58:I58 and B59:I59 (footer things). ...... and when printed, B57:I57, etc. cuts off on the second page and...

flagging duplicate checks and skipped checks
Is there any way to get money to flag duplicate checks and skipped check numbers? I can't find anything about this anywhere. Why wouldn't it do this automatically? I am currently using 2003, maybe they fixed this in 2004. Thanks for any help. I looked through the help stuff and online and then figured I'd try this. In microsoft.public.money, tom wrote: >Is there any way to get money to flag duplicate checks Yes. Check Tools->Options->DisplayAWarningWhenUsingDuplicateCheckNumbers >and skipped check numbers? No I can't find anything about >this ...

Add GL Distribution code to Check Stub in Payables Management
I have a customer that uses the Check Stub Top and Bottom for Payables Management and they would like to add the GL code for the transaction to the bottom stub only. We cannot seem to be able to link a table to the check stub top and bottom that has the GL code from the transactions. Any ideas? Thanks in advance. -- Tammy Chavez Mekorma MICR has this capability. -- Charles Allen, MVP "Tammy Chavez" wrote: > I have a customer that uses the Check Stub Top and Bottom for Payables > Management and they would like to add the GL code for the transaction to the > bo...

check class inherits from 2 interfaces
Hi Guys, I would be grateful if you could give me a hint. I am writing a plugin based program. i have 2 interfaces (abstract classes) IPlugin and IPluginMenu, all plugins inherit from IPlugin but plugins that need menu need to inherit from IPluginMenu and implement OnMenu which is pure virtual. Now in my SDK I have a function called SetPluginMenu and there as a parameter I want to pass a instance of class that inherits from IPluginMenu, but the problem is that I also need to make sure that caller also inherits from IPlugin, so that someone inheriting only from IPluginMenu won't b...

ERROR check if a date set entered violates a perviously entered date set
I am devloping an Excel program that has a list of date sets, not necessarily in sequencial order. What I want is an ERROR CHECK if a date set violates any date set previously entered. What I was looking for was that a date set could not be typed in as follows: 1/10/04 to 4/20/04 2/10/04 to 3/20/04 The second date set falls within the first set and should be invalid setting off a message or an alert of an invalid entry. I am interested in making it idiot proof so that one could not enter date sets within or covering dates sets already entered. This one really throws me, Please help. ...

check content in textbox.
Hi, My project is in MS Access 2002. In that I have two forms which I am using for Shipping Entry. Now First Form(ShippingAlerts) Is fillup by persons working in customer services.and the Second Form(ShippingEntry) is fillup by workers operating Hi-Low machines to put Boxes in Trucks. Now In First Form(ShippingAlerts)I have some fields like AutoNo,BillToAddress,ShipToAddress. and some other like CustomerCode,ItemNo,PONo,LONo,PalletNo etc.all fields in this line are dependent fields. AutoNo is automatically generated.and allocated to one ShippingAlert Form at a time. Now in that Form when pers...

Signature & Spell Checking
My Outlook doesn't spell check my signature on new mail but it does whenever I reply or forward a message. I can't for the life of me figure out why. Anyone have any ideas? It's darned annoying. ...

How to check the style of window is not WS_EX_APPWINDOW ?
Hello There How can I check whether the extended style of window is not WM_EX_APPWINDOW.( Means it won't have entry in taskbar when it visible. I can check whether the it has WS_EX_APPWINDOW style like this if (::GetWindowLong(hwnd, GWL_EXSTYLE) & WS_EX_APPWINDOW) TRACE("App Window\n"); But how can I do the reverse thing ? Example: 0010101 Real 0110101 Mask The Bitwise AND gives a 1 if the real and the mask are 1, such as 00101100 00100100 AND ---------- 00100100 In this situation, we know that at least some of the mask is true, -- now -- Take the binary number...

Error Occured While Checking Spelling
Error Occured While Checking Spelling in Outlook 2002 The error occured because of a slight technical disorder originating inside the Intel processor's memory chip. This can be remedied by removing the chip while the computer is still on. You must pry from the metal edge with a non-magnetic screwdriver and soak it in Clorox overnight. Hope this helps!! >-----Original Message----- >Error Occured While Checking Spelling in Outlook 2002 >. > >-----Original Message----- >Error Occured While Checking Spelling in Outlook 2002 >. >Tom, I'm having the same ...

Check Book Formula
I'm a real green horn when it comes to excel, I've searched the data base and am pretty baffled by some of the questions...Wow....anyways, I feel kind of silly asking as this is probably very simple. I just don't know how i would go about setting up a check book style spreadsheet. The last three colums would be Income, Expense, Balance. I understand how to add or subtract, what I don't know is how to I tell the spreadsheet to SUBTRACT the expense to get the Balance or and ADD the income to get the balance in each row. Do I have to type a formula in each row to do ...