Business Portal page modification

I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the
"link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links to
various documents on my network in these 3 columns.

The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in column
1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document
webpart too.

What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the
columns.

0
jacktundra (359)

Hi Jack,

Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then
specify those webparts for each of the three columns of your page.

Note though that this moves your documents storage from your network to your
WSS / BP server, so I would remove them from your network so you don't have
conflicting versions of the documents.

Hope this helps.
Regards,
Christine Flora
SpaceDev, Inc.

"We make space happen!"

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the
> "link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links to
> various documents on my network in these 3 columns.
>
> The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in column
> 1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document
> webpart too.
>
> What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the
> columns.

Maybe you can point me to some step by step instructions. Else I dont know
how to do this.

"Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:117E9939-9689-4B77-8C9F-D8841AC40005@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jack,
>
> Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then
> specify those webparts for each of the three columns of your page.
>
> Note though that this moves your documents storage from your network to
> your
> WSS / BP server, so I would remove them from your network so you don't
> have
> conflicting versions of the documents.
>
> Hope this helps.
> Regards,
> Christine Flora
> SpaceDev, Inc.
>
> "We make space happen!"
>

> "Jack Tundra" wrote:
>
>> I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the
>> "link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links
>> various documents on my network in these 3 columns.
>>
>> The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in
>> column
>> 1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document
>> webpart too.
>>
>> What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the
>> columns.

0
jacktundra (359)
5/9/2006 8:14:09 AM
Hi Jack,

You know... I look in both the BP Admin and BP user's guide and there was
nothing in them about creating or managing new document libraries.  Weird!

Anyway, here is a basic outline on how to do this:

1) Launch BP
2) Go to Site Settings
3) Choose Manage Document Libraries under Document Libraries and Lists.
4) Create a document library.  Name it something unique and indicative of
what it is to hold.  You'll be creating three libraries, one for each of your
sections.  See Chapt 2 of the BP Admin guide for setting up unique
permissions other then read access to the documents.

BTW, you can also store documents as attachments in "Announcement" type
lists.  That is what we have done for typical template forms that we have
like expense reports, etc.  Your choice on what type of list or library to
use.  Experiment! :-)

5) Go to your portal page.  Choose Modify Shared Page and Browse the Web
Parts.  The new document libraries (or annoucement lists) will be listed
alphabetically by what you've named them.
6) Drag and drop them onto your page.
7) Now add the documents to the document libraries (or lists) and you're done.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Christine Flora
Solomon Certified Master
SpaceDev, Inc.

"We make space happen!"

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> Maybe you can point me to some step by step instructions. Else I dont know
> how to do this.
>

> "Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:117E9939-9689-4B77-8C9F-D8841AC40005@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Jack,
> >
> > Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then
> > specify those webparts for each of the three columns of your page.
> >
> > Note though that this moves your documents storage from your network to
> > your
> > WSS / BP server, so I would remove them from your network so you don't
> > have
> > conflicting versions of the documents.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> > Regards,
> > Christine Flora
> > SpaceDev, Inc.
> >
> > "We make space happen!"
> >

> > "Jack Tundra" wrote:
> >
> >> I created a new page in business portal with 3 columns and included the
> >> "link" webpart in the 3 columns, the idea being that I can define links
> >> various documents on my network in these 3 columns.
> >>
> >> The issue is that the 3 columns are identical. If I define a link in
> >> column
> >> 1, the link shows up in columns 2 and 3. I see there with shared document
> >> webpart too.
> >>
> >> What can I do so that I can define different documents in each of the
> >> columns.

Christine,

I tried the announcement webpart and you know what, it has the same issue.

If I include the announcement webpart in 3 different columns, and I add an
attachment to the first column, it will show up in all 3 columns.

Do you know how I can create my own announcement webparts. Jack

"Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DD2539B1-4AC3-4760-9516-9529CAFE83FE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jack,
>
> You know... I look in both the BP Admin and BP user's guide and there was
> nothing in them about creating or managing new document libraries.  Weird!
>
> Anyway, here is a basic outline on how to do this:
>
> 1) Launch BP
> 2) Go to Site Settings
> 3) Choose Manage Document Libraries under Document Libraries and Lists.
> 4) Create a document library.  Name it something unique and indicative of
> what it is to hold.  You'll be creating three libraries, one for each of
> your
> sections.  See Chapt 2 of the BP Admin guide for setting up unique
> permissions other then read access to the documents.
>
> BTW, you can also store documents as attachments in "Announcement" type
> lists.  That is what we have done for typical template forms that we have
> like expense reports, etc.  Your choice on what type of list or library to
> use.  Experiment! :-)
>
> 5) Go to your portal page.  Choose Modify Shared Page and Browse the Web
> Parts.  The new document libraries (or annoucement lists) will be listed
> alphabetically by what you've named them.
> 6) Drag and drop them onto your page.
> 7) Now add the documents to the document libraries (or lists) and you're
> done.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Christine Flora
> Solomon Certified Master
> SpaceDev, Inc.
>
> "We make space happen!"
>
> "Jack Tundra" wrote:
>
>> Maybe you can point me to some step by step instructions. Else I dont
>> know
>> how to do this.
>>

>> "Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:117E9939-9689-4B77-8C9F-D8841AC40005@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Jack,
>> >
>> > Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then
>> > specify those webparts for each of the three columns of your page.
>> >
>> > Note though that this moves your documents storage from your network to
>> > your
>> > WSS / BP server, so I would remove them from your network so you don't
>> > have
>> > conflicting versions of the documents.
>> >
>> > Hope this helps.
>> > Regards,
>> > Christine Flora
>> > SpaceDev, Inc.

0
jacktundra (359)
5/9/2006 7:23:20 PM
Christine,

Will I lose the new document lists/modified pages when I upgrade Business
Portal. We are currently on Business Portal 2.7

"Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:DD2539B1-4AC3-4760-9516-9529CAFE83FE@microsoft.com...
> Hi Jack,
>
> You know... I look in both the BP Admin and BP user's guide and there was
> nothing in them about creating or managing new document libraries.  Weird!
>
> Anyway, here is a basic outline on how to do this:
>
> 1) Launch BP
> 2) Go to Site Settings
> 3) Choose Manage Document Libraries under Document Libraries and Lists.
> 4) Create a document library.  Name it something unique and indicative of
> what it is to hold.  You'll be creating three libraries, one for each of
> your
> sections.  See Chapt 2 of the BP Admin guide for setting up unique
> permissions other then read access to the documents.
>
> BTW, you can also store documents as attachments in "Announcement" type
> lists.  That is what we have done for typical template forms that we have
> like expense reports, etc.  Your choice on what type of list or library to
> use.  Experiment! :-)
>
> 5) Go to your portal page.  Choose Modify Shared Page and Browse the Web
> Parts.  The new document libraries (or annoucement lists) will be listed
> alphabetically by what you've named them.
> 6) Drag and drop them onto your page.
> 7) Now add the documents to the document libraries (or lists) and you're
> done.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Christine Flora
> Solomon Certified Master
> SpaceDev, Inc.
>
> "We make space happen!"
>
> "Jack Tundra" wrote:
>
>> Maybe you can point me to some step by step instructions. Else I dont
>> know
>> how to do this.
>>

>> "Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
>> message news:117E9939-9689-4B77-8C9F-D8841AC40005@microsoft.com...
>> > Hi Jack,
>> >
>> > Personally, I would create three separate document libraries and then
>> > specify those webparts for each of the three columns of your page.
>> >
>> > Note though that this moves your documents storage from your network to
>> > your
>> > WSS / BP server, so I would remove them from your network so you don't
>> > have
>> > conflicting versions of the documents.
>> >
>> > Hope this helps.
>> > Regards,
>> > Christine Flora
>> > SpaceDev, Inc.

0
jacktundra (359)
5/9/2006 7:40:02 PM
Jack,

Repeats steps 1-7 two additional times to create additional announcement
webparts to drag to the other areas of your page.

Regards,
Christine Flora

"Jack Tundra" wrote:

> Christine,
>
> I tried the announcement webpart and you know what, it has the same issue.
>
> If I include the announcement webpart in 3 different columns, and I add an
> attachment to the first column, it will show up in all 3 columns.
>
> Do you know how I can create my own announcement webparts. Jack
>

> "Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> message news:DD2539B1-4AC3-4760-9516-9529CAFE83FE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi Jack,
> >
> > You know... I look in both the BP Admin and BP user's guide and there was
> > nothing in them about creating or managing new document libraries.  Weird!
> >
> > Anyway, here is a basic outline on how to do this:
> >
> > 1) Launch BP
> > 2) Go to Site Settings
> > 3) Choose Manage Document Libraries under Document Libraries and Lists.
> > 4) Create a document library.  Name it something unique and indicative of
> > what it is to hold.  You'll be creating three libraries, one for each of
> > your
> > sections.  See Chapt 2 of the BP Admin guide for setting up unique
> > permissions other then read access to the documents.
> >
> > BTW, you can also store documents as attachments in "Announcement" type
> > lists.  That is what we have done for typical template forms that we have
> > like expense reports, etc.  Your choice on what type of list or library to
> > use.  Experiment! :-)
> >
> > 5) Go to your portal page.  Choose Modify Shared Page and Browse the Web
> > Parts.  The new document libraries (or annoucement lists) will be listed
> > alphabetically by what you've named them.
> > 6) Drag and drop them onto your page.
> > 7) Now add the documents to the document libraries (or lists) and you're
> > done.
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Christine Flora
> > Solomon Certified Master
> > SpaceDev, Inc.
> >
> > "We make space happen!"
> >
> > "Jack Tundra" wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe you can point me to some step by step instructions. Else I dont
> >> know
> >> how to do this.
> >>

> >> "Christine Flora" <ChristineFlora@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
> >> message news:117E9939-9689-4B77-8C9F-D8841AC40005@microsoft.com...

Jack,

They should upgrade without a problem.  Be sure to read your upgrade
documentation completely though.

Regards,
Christine Flora