Business Portal 2.5 Return opening a local copy of Great Plains

When upgrading to Business Portal 2.5 from 2.0 I was told by MBS tech support
that due to security reasons, the feature to open a local copy of Great
Plains was removed and I must connect using a terminal server.  Please PUT
THIS FEATURE BACK IN !!!

This was a great feature and losing it will create more work from me.  Here
are some other reasons; 1) it is slower. 2) I have to log in 2 more times,
first for WTS, second for Great Plains. 3) In order to log into Great Plains
using WTS, I must first log out of my local running copy of Great Plains. 4)
It is a security risk to open up WTS to all users, because then they will
also be able to access from the internet as our WTS server has a port open to
the internet. 5) I have to set up new WTS desktops for the Great Plains
Business Portal Users.

It was not even in the release notes this feature was removed, and the BP
software still includes the menu options.  I only discoved it was removed by
contacting MBS Tech Support and spending 45 minutes trying to resolve myself.
 Not happy.

In summary, my suggestion is to return this feature.

Thanks,
Jim Hagans

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5088bcd1-082e-41de-9b93-2542498f0cb5&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
Hagans (2)

Hi

You can open Great Plains in BP 2.5 via Terminal services (in BP - Site
settings- General Settings - Setup Back Office TS Access) .   I am not sure
why you have to login to WTS or Business Portal.  Are you on a Windows 2000
domain? WTS and BP uses windows Authentication to access the sites (requires
no login to WTS or BP).

--
Regards

James[MVP]
Visit MBS Blog Central

http://mbscentral.blogs.com

"Jim Hagans" <Jim Hagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When upgrading to Business Portal 2.5 from 2.0 I was told by MBS tech
> support
> that due to security reasons, the feature to open a local copy of Great
> Plains was removed and I must connect using a terminal server.  Please PUT
> THIS FEATURE BACK IN !!!
>
> This was a great feature and losing it will create more work from me.
> Here
> are some other reasons; 1) it is slower. 2) I have to log in 2 more times,
> first for WTS, second for Great Plains. 3) In order to log into Great
> Plains
> using WTS, I must first log out of my local running copy of Great Plains.
> 4)
> It is a security risk to open up WTS to all users, because then they will
> also be able to access from the internet as our WTS server has a port open
> the internet. 5) I have to set up new WTS desktops for the Great Plains
> Business Portal Users.
>
> It was not even in the release notes this feature was removed, and the BP
> software still includes the menu options.  I only discoved it was removed
> by
> contacting MBS Tech Support and spending 45 minutes trying to resolve
> myself.
> Not happy.
>
> In summary, my suggestion is to return this feature.
>
> Thanks,
> Jim Hagans
>

> ----------------
> this
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5088bcd1-082e-41de-9b93-2542498f0cb5&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains

James, Thanks for the input.  I do have WTS set up and working on a different
server.  I am in a Windows 2003 domain.  Business Portal does not prompt me
to login, but when the remote desktop windows opens, it does require a login.
 And so does Great Plains, when it opens within the Remote Desktop Window.
-Jim

"James[MVP]" wrote:

> Hi
>
> You can open Great Plains in BP 2.5 via Terminal services (in BP - Site
> settings- General Settings - Setup Back Office TS Access) .   I am not sure
> why you have to login to WTS or Business Portal.  Are you on a Windows 2000
> domain? WTS and BP uses windows Authentication to access the sites (requires
> no login to WTS or BP).
>
> --
> Regards
>
> James[MVP]
> Visit MBS Blog Central
>
> http://mbscentral.blogs.com
>

> "Jim Hagans" <Jim Hagans@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > When upgrading to Business Portal 2.5 from 2.0 I was told by MBS tech
> > support
> > that due to security reasons, the feature to open a local copy of Great
> > Plains was removed and I must connect using a terminal server.  Please PUT
> > THIS FEATURE BACK IN !!!
> >
> > This was a great feature and losing it will create more work from me.
> > Here
> > are some other reasons; 1) it is slower. 2) I have to log in 2 more times,
> > first for WTS, second for Great Plains. 3) In order to log into Great
> > Plains
> > using WTS, I must first log out of my local running copy of Great Plains.
> > 4)
> > It is a security risk to open up WTS to all users, because then they will
> > also be able to access from the internet as our WTS server has a port open
> > the internet. 5) I have to set up new WTS desktops for the Great Plains
> > Business Portal Users.
> >
> > It was not even in the release notes this feature was removed, and the BP
> > software still includes the menu options.  I only discoved it was removed
> > by
> > contacting MBS Tech Support and spending 45 minutes trying to resolve
> > myself.
> > Not happy.
> >
> > In summary, my suggestion is to return this feature.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Jim Hagans
> >

> > ----------------
> > this
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=5088bcd1-082e-41de-9b93-2542498f0cb5&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains

0
Hagans (2)
5/12/2005 5:11:02 PM
Hi

This login feature on the remote desktop has nothing to do with BP or WSS.
You are login into TS (completely seperate to BP and WTS configuration) and
this requires a login.

--

> [...]
>> > BP
>> > software still includes the menu options.  I only discoved it was
>> > removed
>> > by
>> > contacting MBS Tech Support and spending 45 minutes trying to resolve
>> > myself.
>> > Not happy.
>> >
>> > In summary, my suggestion is to return this feature.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Jim Hagans
>> >

>> > ----------------
>> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
>> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the
>> > "I
>> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow
>> > this
>> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

Linking files 2 ways

owa cant open ppt attachments

More Columns #2

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

Pivot Table Question #5

Contacts in Exchange #2

Goal Seek #2

Great Plains Certifications
HI All, I recently wrote the Great Plains install and configure exam. for anybody that is planning to write it, I can say that the exam is fair and does not cover any material not in the manual. I would like to write the financials exam as well, but I need some guidance or direction as to what material to focus on. i do have all the manuals, but please let me know if you are aware of any additional resources. thanks Yolande Hi Yolande, There are preparation guides available for each exam out on PartnerSource. This guide lists all the different offerings available that can help yo...

cannot open hyper links in outlook

SQL 2005 Great Plains 9 issue
I will try to keep this succinct. I am running Great Plains 9 with SQL 2005 on separate servers. Recently I brought up a new SQL server(called sql02) to replace the old SQL server(called sql01). After installing SQL 2005 on the new server and restoring all the databases I renamed the new server(sql02) to the name of the old Server(sql01). Great Plains worked happily after that. On the new SQL server now called SQL01 there are two database engines in SQL Studio, one is called SQL02 and the other is called SQL01. I would rather not have SQL02 there, but I'm not sure how to delet...

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Business Portal should allow requisition to be added to issued PO
The printing of a PO changes the status of the PO from New to Released (signifying the release of the PO to the vendor). Once a PO has been released, it will not show as a PO you can add items to from business portal. The current design of the product only allows you to add to POs with a status of New. Adding an item to a Released PO should trigger a change order. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Business Portal Development

2 different Qty in order details in northwind
Hi, im pretty new with access 2007, i decide to use northwind template. In order detail both form, i have 2 different Qty, the original Qty is the Qty that will link to Inventory and I add another field Qty1 for invoice purpose. For example, I got 1 roll of tape, 1 roll will be cut into 10 pcs. We need to bill according to customer request qty 10, but actual qty sold is only 1. Anyone come across this issue. How to modify it w/o effect the function? table/form as below:- ID ORDER ID PRODUCT ID QUANTITY (FOR INVENTORY) QTY1 (FOR INVOICE) UNIT PRICE AND SO ON Is there a...

form base authentication #2
This is killing me. I'm implementing form base authentication. I have SSL and everything working but for one problem when use won't to get to owa they type mail.domain.com which then defaults to http://mail.domain.com. the problem I'm having is that FBA need it to default to https not http. How can I get it to default to HTTPS with out telling the uses to type https? I am implementing this on a FE/BE environment wayne .. What I do is change the http port on the main site to something like 8080, and then create a new site that listens on 80. For that site, instead of...

COUNTIF MULTIPLE CRITERIA #2
To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. Thanks will A Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A10="aa"),--(B1:B10="bb"),--(C1:C10="cc")) Adjust range references to suit your situation Does that help? *********** Regards, Ron "will A" wrote: > To count if Col A=aa and Col B=bb and Col C=cc. Must meet all situation. > Thanks > will A =SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A1000="aa"),--(B1:B1000="bb"),--(C1:c1000="cc")) SUMPRODUCT does not work on a complete column, just a defined range, and all ranges must b...

Automatically copy input from one cell to another
After I enter a value in one cell, how can I have it automatically enter it into another cell, within the same worksheet, or into a different worksheet. Thanks, Tom picktr@wowway.co -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com If you enter the value in A1 of sheet1, put this in the other cell in sheet1: =A1 or in another worksheet: =Sheet1!A1 In article <picktr.15c6uy@excelforum-nospam.com>, picktr <<picktr.15c6uy@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: > After I enter a value in one cell, how can > I have it automatically enter it into another cell...

Exchange 5.5 Restore Problem
Hello, I have an Exchange 5.5 server (SP4), running on NT 4.0 (SP6). We back it up with Backup Exec 8.5, with the Exchange Agent option. I am now in need to restore an old copy Information Store, from a last year's tape, to recover some information. I put together a server, with Exchange 5.5,NT 4, etc. All Service packs etc up to date, and Exchange was working fine. I then proceded to restore the Information Store. The file size of the priv.mdb appears to be correct, however, since the restore, the info store won't start. I receive the following error when trying to start i...

Reference / Copy Dynamic Data
Have a worksheet listing products and prices for numerous suppliers. eg.: Supplier--Product---Price ABC-------apple-----1.00 ABC-------orange----1.20 XYZ-------brick-----3.40 XYZ-------cement----0.80 This worksheet will change often. What I would like is to reference this information on other worksheets. I would also split the info onto a worksheet for each supplier. Therefore i will have a worksheet for ABC and for XYZ, and the info in these worksheets will change as the main "index" worksheet changes. eg. Worksheet ABC contains: Product---Price apple-----1.00 orange----1.20 ...

Cannot read return from Axis webservice
I have to invoke an Axis webservice, however, the service returns a soap message without the xml declaration line, so .net returns a null reference. Is there a way to easily tell .net to ignore whether the xml declaration is there?? ...