Basic GP setup - Do I need consulting assistance

I'm a technical consultant so I can't believe I am even asking this
question. But here goes...

I run an outsourced IT consultancy. We focus mostly on networks,
servers and desktops; we have no software expertise, though we've been
around enough to know we don't like it. :-)

We use a variety of packages to run our business: Finances (Qbooks),
payroll (Qbooks), time and expense tracking (Journyx), CRM
(salesforce), and help desk (Revelation.) All are wonderful little
silos and do great at their assigned task. But you know the limitation:
sharing and leveraging between silos is next to impossible.

And so search for the holy grail: One platform that can handle it all
for me. My sites are settling on MS CRM 3.0 and Dynamics GP.

My question is this: do I need to retain professional services
assistance to do the setup or is it a straight forward process for a
simple company like ours?

Berto,

We have seen many companies cut corners on implementation/setup/training and
do it themselves.  Within a few months they usually find that they didn't
think something through, or that they set something up in a way that doesn't
work with their business needs and some things once set up are basically
impossible to change.

My 2 cents: get someone to advise you.  Make sure it's someone that knows
their stuff - it'll be well worth it in the long run.

If you really feel that you'd rather do it yourself, make sure to get as
much training and practice as you can first.

--
Victoria Yudin
GP MVP

"Berto" <berto_lozano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I'm a technical consultant so I can't believe I am even asking this
> question. But here goes...
>
> I run an outsourced IT consultancy. We focus mostly on networks,
> servers and desktops; we have no software expertise, though we've been
> around enough to know we don't like it. :-)
>
> We use a variety of packages to run our business: Finances (Qbooks),
> payroll (Qbooks), time and expense tracking (Journyx), CRM
> (salesforce), and help desk (Revelation.) All are wonderful little
> silos and do great at their assigned task. But you know the limitation:
> sharing and leveraging between silos is next to impossible.
>
> And so search for the holy grail: One platform that can handle it all
> for me. My sites are settling on MS CRM 3.0 and Dynamics GP.
>
> My question is this: do I need to retain professional services
> assistance to do the setup or is it a straight forward process for a
> simple company like ours?

0
victoria (3340)
6/13/2006 9:23:22 AM
To have consultants go through the setup with you is very important that
  is what we felt and did.. Once the setup is done you will learn very
quickly all the in and outs of the system with knowing is was setup
correctly based on the level of detail you give the consultanting company..

Victoria [MVP] wrote:
> Berto,
>
> We have seen many companies cut corners on implementation/setup/training and
> do it themselves.  Within a few months they usually find that they didn't
> think something through, or that they set something up in a way that doesn't
> work with their business needs and some things once set up are basically
> impossible to change.
>
> My 2 cents: get someone to advise you.  Make sure it's someone that knows
> their stuff - it'll be well worth it in the long run.
>
> If you really feel that you'd rather do it yourself, make sure to get as
> much training and practice as you can first.

0
Brianm1 (20)

Need Syntax for "AND" to Evaluate 2 Cells
I need to evaluate 2 cells while inside an "Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)". I thought AND would work but I cannot get it to work; I receive a syntax error on the AND(Range... line. Can someone please provide me the proper syntax to evaluate the 2 cells? Here's my code... Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range) If ActiveSheet.Name = "Sheet1" Then And(Range("I3") <> "", Range("K4") = "") Then Range("K4") = Range("K3") End...

Need to import EDI file
Hello. I have an EDI TS-130 file (academic transcript) that I would like to import into Access 2003. Is this possible to do for free? If so, how? ...

You wont believe this! SERVER DOWN
I was helping the operations/it director to get RPC over HTTP going on their exchange server for a company I use to be the sys admin for. The ops/it director was doing the add/remove programs portion to add rpc over http there, somehow in the process of doing this he managed to uninstall IIS -or- just NNTP and SMTP (I can't figure out which and he claims he did neither). Long story short, I've reinstalled NNTP and SMTP, reconfigured SMTP to the best recollection I have of the previous config and the server still refuses to send/receive email, even internally. All services are s...

need custom cut and paste functions
Hello, I once wrote here about a problem I had cutting and pasting where columns would turn to "REF!" after a cut and paste. I would work around it by copying, pasting and then manually deleting instead. I thought turning everything in the sheet to absolute references would solve the problem but it didn't so now I am thinking of a different solution. Could someone tell me what I need to do to write my own cut and paste functions which would basically copy the selection and then on a paste it would paste and then delete the original selection from where it was copied from...

not able to setup my email with outlook
Hello All, I believe I need some “professional strength” help and advice with these questions. I've been fortunate to have received some of the greatest help at these MS forums, and so I'm back with some questions regarding my upcoming switch from OUTLOOK EXPRESS to OUTLOOK 2007, finally. My questions revolve around myself being very familiar with OE, and now trying to figure out the best & cleanest way to convert to, and configure Outlook 2007 given my particular needs. I understand some of the differences between OE and Outlook, however I've not yet installed Outlook 20 This ...

Mailbox needs reducing
We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no limits, it's now 11GB!! Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and do it, can Exchange do it? In news:euNRN1iPHHA.404@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl, Gonzo <no@no.com> typed: > We have this mailbox that has been left for months and with no > limits, it's now 11GB!! > > Ho can I trim in down, I don't really want to go into the mailbox and > do it, can Exchange do it? Presuming you're not on 5x or earlier, you can use mailbox management policies to get rid of items ol...

RPC over HTTP to Exch2k3
Hi, When I go to setup Outlook 2003 to do RPC over HTTP to an Exchange 2003 server (running on Windows 2003 Server), I get to the part where I am supposed to check "Connect to my Exchange mailbox using HTTP" under the "Connections" tab, but no such option exists! I've scoured the web but can't find any resources that tell me why I am missing this option. If someone could help me determine why this option isn't displayed, it'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance, dave I will assume that you are running Windows XP (SP1), but did apply http://su...

I need help restoring Public Folders
Hi I've been having issues getting Public Folder replication going between 2 Exchange 2003 servers. Prior to doing any work I performed a Backup using Veritas Backup Exec and this completed and verified correctly. I screwed things up and managed to delete some of the public folders on my original server. I'm not 100% sure what I did but it is a mess and the only backup I have is the Exchange backup I created before doing any work. The public folders contain a number of Contact Lists and a very important Event Calendar. I have restored the public folders but when the restore c...

Linking Basic Beancounting spreadsheets?
I am new to Excel (and this forum) & want to make my own General Ledger, Monthy Synopsis, Trial Balances, Financial Statements etc. for a new business. I am reading _Basic_Beancounting_ by T. James Cook and wish to use Excel efficiently. (Just learned how to group tabs to make multiple identical forms. Works great and saves a pile of time!) Now I want to take the debit & credit totals from each account column in the monthly synopsis sheet and link them (automatically post) them to the appropriate column in their individual running totals of each General Ledger Account. The problem...

Need help on a formula 05-20-10

Need to retrieve a deleted Excel File
On Saturday I hide an excel sheet and then protected the workbook. When I got into work today to open the file it was non-existent. What do I have to do to retrieve the file? Does it make a difference if the file extension ended with .csv? Thanks in advance! Search in Windows to make sure it's still on your compute -or go to the folder the file is in and look to make sure it's still ther -or If you didn't do this, you might need to to text, which includes *.cs Excel is not set to open this type of file by defaul tj Did you (try to) open the file with Excel. If so : did ...

need some XL URL's please
I would appreciate some good site links for XL how to's and working examples aimed at Novice - Intermediate. Many thanks, Steve Hi Steven: See: Dave McRitchie: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Go to the heading: Excel Lessons & Tutorials (#tutorials) It's just after halfway down. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au It is imperative that the patches provided by Microsoft in its April Security Release be applied to Systems as soon as possible. It is believed that the likelihood of a worm being released SOON that ...

Upgrade GP 9.0 SP2 to GP 10.0 Advice
Hi, We are planning our upgrade of GP9.0 SP2 to GP10.0. We are running SQL 2000 and would like to also upgrade to SQL 2005. I am using the following url (and read some threads on this forum): https://mbs.microsoft.com/customersource/support/knowledgebase/hottopics/hot_topic_updatingmicrosoftdynamicsgp10.htm?printpage=false (page: Updating to Microsoft Dynamics GP 10.0) The chart Microsoft provides says I can go from 9.00.0281 (which is SP2) to 10.0 or any patch install. What does "any patch install" mean? Does this mean I can't go directly to 10.0 Feature Pack 1? Would i...

ebay - ereseller stook my money
a terrible thing happenned to me on ebay. i am a disabled woman in and eresellers took my money and never sent my washer. his email address is david@tropivision.com. anything that you can do to help would be nice. ebay is doing nothing. i can give a reward This group is for discussing the Microsoft Money computer program. Does it really sound like an eBay buyer complaint forum? Do a google search on ebay and you will find a couple of groups, one of which may reply to your problem. That ebay seller has been selling on ebay for over 5 years. arthur -- On 1 Jun 2004 13:50:08 -0700, (An...

Need Help With GP Item Pricing
GP ITEM PRICING I need to use “Bucket Pricing” for items in GP. For example below is the pricing schedule that I need to use. First 20 …………….$ 1.75 Next 280 ……………… 1.36 Next 700 ……………… 1.23 Next 2,000 ……………… 1.09 Over 3,000 ……………… .82 So if I had a Qty. of 350 it would be as follows 20 * 1.75 = 35 280 * 1.36 = 380.80 50 * 1.23 = 61.50 Total : $477.30 In GP I can only set it up to do a “Quantity Range” in the Item Price List Maintenance window. Problem is if I set it up that way and enter a quantity of 350 it will default to the $1.23 ...

I need to round up to the nearest 50.
I am trying to calculate the number of raw material bags I need in a batch. If I use the mround function is will round down. Is there a way to only round up? =ROUNDUP(A21/50,0)*50 or =CEILING(A21,50) -- HTH Bob Phillips "karenm" <karenm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DBE54F5E-0524-4DFF-BC52-D966BBEE26E9@microsoft.com... > I am trying to calculate the number of raw material bags I need in a batch. > If I use the mround function is will round down. Is there a way to only > round up? > Hi karenm, First of all, I believe MROUND rounds...

Missing mail after VPN Outlook setup
Hi. Last week we setup VPN to be able to read mail from home (no OWA). After installing Outlook at home and connecting to the exchange server, and syncronizing the data I got all mail/contacts etc on my home computers Outlook. BUT, when I got to work the day after, my Outlook on the work computer was empty, no mails or nothing. Looking in the Exchange server at the mailaccount I can se that it contains over 1000 emails so they seem to still exist on the server. What could this be? Is there som configuration needed? Did you configure the home computer to deliver mail to a personal folde...

Need Training in office for CRM in Toronto, Onatrio
We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant that does CRM training. They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Thank you Jasmine On Dec 18, 4:36 pm, Jasmine <Jasm...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > We just purchased the CRM. Can anyone refer a Microsoft partner/consultant > that does CRM training. > They need to be in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. > Thank you > Jasmine Hi Jasmine, I am part of the largest Microsoft CRM partner in the world. We have offices across North America and are very tightly integrated to the Microsoft CRM Produc...

Add Item to GP Menu
Does anyone have instructions on how to add items to the GP menu? I believe it can be done with Dexterity, but I have no idea what file to modify or how to use Dexterity. Thanks. "Ryan" wrote: > Does anyone have instructions on how to add items to the GP menu? I believe > it can be done with Dexterity, but I have no idea what file to modify or how > to use Dexterity. > > Thanks. Hi Ryan Please look at the Integration Guide PDF manual installed with Dexterity. Part 5 explains the navigation model and how to work with command forms, commands and menus. T...

SETUP
CAN OUTLOOK BE USED WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION? IF SO, HOW THANKS MARTY "MARTY" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1ce701c444c1$0a930280$3a01280a@phx.gbl... > CAN OUTLOOK BE USED WITHOUT AN INTERNET CONNECTION? > IF SO, HOW > THANKS > MARTY Yes, just don't set up any email accounts. ...

I Need a Formula for setting up what to charge for equipment rent.
i need a formula to set hourly charges for renting out construction equipment such as Backhoes, Bulldozers etc. You need to determine what the formula to calculate these charges are, in English, and then maybe we can help with the SS formula. -- HTH RP "chippian" <chippian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:85434E7B-D99B-4FCE-9382-DF5FE1DE8EFF@microsoft.com... > i need a formula to set hourly charges for renting out construction equipment > such as Backhoes, Bulldozers etc. =IF(renter="BVL",$2/hr, $1000/hr) with grin best wishes -- Be...

Formula Help Needed #2
I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can offer on this. Ok let me first give a little background info. I have a spreadsheet of my raw data (spreadsheet a) it has 4 categories, account#, client name, balance amount and a code (1-7). The code tells me what internal business category each account falls under. I have another spreadsheet (spreadsheet b) that takes the raw data of a. and puts it into a neat easy to read report. What I need is a formula that will look through the entirety of spreadsheet a and first, determine let’s say how many code 1’s there are ( I know this can be a...

Need Money????
Need Money, visit http://dinero4ever.blogspot.com Now!!! ...

Desperate! Need Contact in Day-Timer transfered to Outlook 2003
Please, there must be a way! I've been reading and trying everything! Everytime I come to some impassible stumbling block. I know a little, but am far from techy. If someone out there has/had Day-Timer Organizer v. 3.95 and successfully transfered the contact data into their Outlook 2003 Contacts or even better their BCM Contacts, please tell me how! Please?! what formats does daytimer support for exporting? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.s...