Analytical Accounting #6

I am trying to find a way to do more detailed reporting from the General
Ledger. Your GL is only as strong as the number of segments and the number of
ways you can slice and dice the data based on the combination of segments. We
have over 40,000 accounts in our GL and that is not enough.

I have not read through the PDF on Analytical Accounting yet. Could somebody
briefly explain what Analytical Accounting does.

Nutshell version: you can create codes (and groupings of codes), and assign
them to account numbers.  For example, you could have one account that tracks
all Grant Money received, and create a Code in AA that allows you to track
the $ for each individual Grant.  One way to think of AA is that it gives you
the ability to subdivide any GL account into an unlimited number of smaller
buckets.

"Charlie Zarzour" wrote:

> I am trying to find a way to do more detailed reporting from the General
> Ledger. Your GL is only as strong as the number of segments and the number of
> ways you can slice and dice the data based on the combination of segments. We
> have over 40,000 accounts in our GL and that is not enough.
>
> I have not read through the PDF on Analytical Accounting yet. Could somebody
> briefly explain what Analytical Accounting does.
0
bklenzman (99)
4/15/2006 9:42:01 AM
I have Project Accounting. PA is setup as follows:

Customer
    Contract
          Project
                      Timesheet Cost Categories (GL accts)
                      Employee Expense (GL accts)
                      etc...........
Cost and Revenue GL Accounst are assigned at the Cost category level.

I want the ability to trace from GL20000 for each GL PA Posting the Project
and Cost Category Cost and Revenue.

"bklenzman" wrote:

> Nutshell version: you can create codes (and groupings of codes), and assign
> them to account numbers.  For example, you could have one account that tracks
> all Grant Money received, and create a Code in AA that allows you to track
> the $ for each individual Grant.  One way to think of AA is that it gives you
> the ability to subdivide any GL account into an unlimited number of smaller
> buckets.
>
> "Charlie Zarzour" wrote:
>
> > I am trying to find a way to do more detailed reporting from the General
> > Ledger. Your GL is only as strong as the number of segments and the number of
> > ways you can slice and dice the data based on the combination of segments. We
> > have over 40,000 accounts in our GL and that is not enough.
> >
> > I have not read through the PDF on Analytical Accounting yet. Could somebody
> > briefly explain what Analytical Accounting does.
0
charlie (92)
4/16/2006 11:10:01 AM
What you'd have to do is set up the dimensions off the accounts used by PA,
in effect replicating the PA information. As you enter transactions in PA,
you would open the AA window and enter the project information for the
accounts. In effect, you would have quite a bit of overlap.
--
Charles Allen, MVP

"charlie" wrote:

> I have Project Accounting. PA is setup as follows:
>
> Customer
>     Contract
>           Project
>                       Timesheet Cost Categories (GL accts)
>                       Employee Expense (GL accts)
>                       etc...........
> Cost and Revenue GL Accounst are assigned at the Cost category level.
>
> I want the ability to trace from GL20000 for each GL PA Posting the Project
> and Cost Category Cost and Revenue.
>
> "bklenzman" wrote:
>
> > Nutshell version: you can create codes (and groupings of codes), and assign
> > them to account numbers.  For example, you could have one account that tracks
> > all Grant Money received, and create a Code in AA that allows you to track
> > the $ for each individual Grant.  One way to think of AA is that it gives you
> > the ability to subdivide any GL account into an unlimited number of smaller
> > buckets.
> >
> > "Charlie Zarzour" wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to find a way to do more detailed reporting from the General
> > > Ledger. Your GL is only as strong as the number of segments and the number of
> > > ways you can slice and dice the data based on the combination of segments. We
> > > have over 40,000 accounts in our GL and that is not enough.
> > >
> > > I have not read through the PDF on Analytical Accounting yet. Could somebody
> > > briefly explain what Analytical Accounting does.
0
callen (2505)

CDF Contacts, without Accounts
Hello Many thanks in advance I have quite a bunch of contact that I would like to add to CRM 1.2. I was wondering if it was possible to load just the contacts only and no accounts ? So the only data that I will load will be cdf_contacts Thank you vikrantc Yes, the Contacts do not have to be associated with an Account. Matt Parks ---------------------------------------- ---------------------------------------- On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 12:11:04 -0700, vikrantca <vikrantca@hotmail.com> wrote: Hello, Many thanks in advance. I have quite a bunch of contact that I would like to add to CRM 1.2...

How do I replace an invaild mail sever account at startup?
I put the wrong account type when doing the start up wizard for outlook. Now it tells me that it is invalid but will not keep the program open so I can delete the account and open the correct one. Thank you Since you did not state your version of Outlook, start in Control Panel, Mail Icon. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After furious head scratching, Brnigurl asked: | I put the wrong account type when ...

email account config
Is it possible that when a user gets a reply, he/she will only see the reply and NOT the history of the message? sort of SMS type of configuration. PS have Outlook 2007 and Exchange 2003 Thanks, Raul Rego NJPIES This setting can be controlled in OL 2007- E-mail Options. -- John Oliver, Jr MCSE, MCT, CCNA Exchange MVP 2009 Microsoft Certified Partner "Raul" <jjkgr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#Y18gUz1KHA.4724@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is it possible that when a user gets a reply, he/she will only see the > reply and NOT the hi...

how to make a drill down account summary report
Hello: We have the following situation: We are a major liquor distributor here in my country, we have several houses(the companies that internationally or regionally represents each brand and provides to us), and within every house there's a brand, for each brand we have it's expenses, and for each expense the detailed information of them. i.e: account_number Description 062 "Brand Expenses" 062101 "Globaliza" (This is the name of the house or company that sells to us) 062101--01 "Johnie Walker" (The n...

Multiple e-mail accounts #3
Hello! Just having issues with synchronizing multiple accounts on Outlook 2003 - both Hotmail and work LAN. ONLY 1 account will work. What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP! THANKS! What sort of accounts do you have? What do you mean that only one account will work - do you get errors on the other accounts? If so, what are they? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "Marc M." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17ca201c418df$b0fde760$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello...

Change Owner on New Account SetUp
Hello, I have an employee that will be setting up new clients for our sales team. She will be creating these accounts and then selecting the appropriate owner for the account. Right now the spyglass next to the owner field in accounts is greyed out. How do I get that working to allow her to select any of the users? Thanks, CHristina There are two possibilities and without access to a system at the moment I cannot confirm which. Firstly ensure the user has permissions to assign accounts Then if the option is still greyed out, it may be that it has to be done using the assign function. T...

error message: None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient
My Outlook 2003 suddenly is rejecting my outgoing messages when I send them by bouncing them back with the error message: "None of your e-mail accounts could send to this recipient". I've checked the MS Knowledge Base, Google, and this newsgroup, but I've found nothing to help me. Does the problem have something to do with SP2? Is it some new security 'feature'? Can anyone lead me to a solution? Thanks ...

Tally The award winning accounting software full with license Keys
Tally The award winning accounting software full with license Keys Tally was the first program for account purpose use madein 1995 tally1.2 then it has noew been developed to tally 7.2 download it tally 7.2 full with patch splitted downloads [code] http://rapidshare.de/files/27303261/create.TALLY7_Full_with_crack.rar.4.exe http://rapidshare.de/files/27303599/TALLY7_Full_with_crack.rar.0 http://rapidshare.de/files/27303972/TALLY7_Full_with_crack.rar.1 http://rapidshare.de/files/27304280/TALLY7_Full_with_crack.rar.2 http://rapidshare.de/files/27304663/TALLY7_Full_with_crack.rar.3[/code] sing...

Outlook Express - "Account" column
Hi. I have begun to use more than one account and would like to keep track of the origins of emails. The Account columns seems to be the foolproof way to do this (the To field often displays personal names rather than email addresses). I have enabled the Account column in OE. When I had only one account, emails were stamped with the default 'pop' description (that was set in the Properties) which is displayable in the Account column. I would like to modify 'pop' to something more descriptive for hundreds of *already existing* messages. Is this possible? This newsgroup is for s...

Multiple Email Addresses #6
Outlook '02 is only checking one of my email addresses. Why not the other? All server settings are correct. A "test account settings..." operation places a test message on the webmail server. However, during a "send/receive," that address does not show up in the detail box (primary address works fine). This would seem so simple yet I cannot figure it out! Help appreciated. APB Have you checked your Send/Receive Group settings? -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup t...

Outlook Express 6 Limit
Is there a way to set the limit on how many e-mails can be sent an recieved. Or put a time limit on its activity. We have an employee wh spend 4 hours a day sending garbage e-mails. Please help. Thanx, Cadman3200 ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Set up a batch file that moves the Outlook Express EXE to a different directory. Use the Task Scheduler or AT service to get it to run at a certain time of the day. Then set up another batch file to move th...

Re: Accounts order
I have just found the answer to my question in case anyone else is interested. Apparently, Outlook downloads in alphabetical order of the name which you have given to the account so the solution is to rename the various accounts in the order that you want them downloaded. Microsoft article ID 224416, applies to Outlook Express but the same thing appears to apply to Outlook. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/224416/en-us Geoff Geoff <someone@home.uk> wrote: > I have just found the answer to my question in case anyone else is > interested. > Apparently, Outlook downloads ...

HELP! How do I get a total for columns sorted by account number on a spread sheet
Ok, I am not sure how else to explain this. On a spread sheet I will be entering account numbers and a balance due on different spots in the sheet. On a 2nd spread sheet I need it to find the specific account number and add up the total that customer owes. Can I do a total by account number by formula or will I have to do seperate spreadsheets for each person? If you can't tell I am lost. Laurie, Try something like =SUMIF(Sheet1!A1:A100,"12345678",Sheet1!B1:B100) where Sheet1!A1:A100 is the account number range, "123456768" is the account number to check, Sheet1...

testing account settings
I am adding an email account and I go to tools and account settings and put in all my info and then click "test account settings" and this message comes up.. "Log onto incoming mail server (POP3): Your e-mail server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password in your account properties. Under Tools, click E-mail accounts. The server responded: -ERR authorization failed" I looked at my user name and password and everything matches up. Any suggestions on what to do? "Stephanie" <Stephanie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message new...

Merge duplicate accounts, advanced customer capture, targeted list extraction, address validation
V.I.P. Zone v2.0 for Microsoft Dynamics RMS has just been released. If you capture customer account addresses for direct marketing purposes, you'll love this tool. o Form control for new customers o Merge duplicate accounts o Targeted list extraction o Address validation (USPS) o Phone number formatting o Reverse number lookup o Global customer editing (HQ) o Much more... Works with RMS 1.2, 1.3, or 2.0. HeadQuarters too. 60-day trial download: www.digitalretailer.com/trial Watch tutorials: www.digitalretailer.com/2torials.htm Contact your RMS reseller fo...

Same Account Name in Org
Greetings, Any help would be appreciated. I have two issues which I need clarification on. Background Two exchange servers operating Exchange 2003 SP1 in Native Mode, on Windows 2003 Standard (no SP1), residing in a Windows 2003 mixed domain. Exchange org supports two domains (@domainA.com and @domainB.com). Issue1 a. users in domainA connect to Exchange via Outlook using default settings b. users in domainB connect to Exchange using POP if userid (JDoe@domainA.com) is created, he has no issues connecting to Exchange. However, userid (JDoe@domainB.com) is created, he cannot connect to Exch...

Help with a predictive analytic
I am looking to create a fun dashboard that will tell people how often to check their social media outlets based on the number of friends / followers etc they have and the frequency interval of their updates. Can somebody help me with the formula ... A1 number of friends A2 intervals between updates (i.e. 2, 5, 60 minutes). Trying to establish an efficiency metric for going online to various social networks based on activity. Your input is always appreciated! ...

email accounts in Outlook 2003
Since installing Outlook 2003 with Business contact Manager, my email account setup is changed every time I restart the computer. The in and out servers are supposed to be the same: mail.ptd.net but, if I shut down and restart, the server address is changed to localhost it also changes my username by adding /localhost If I manually change it back, it is fine so long as I don't restart the computer. It is getting tiresome. Help!? thanks, It is your antivirus software or a firewall that is changing this - not Outlook. Turn off scanning incoming and outgoing mail in your AV and/or fi...

Accurate Cost Basis and Coverdall accounts
I am using MS'04. I setup an Investment account for a Coverdall ESA with 1 Mutual Fund from Putnam. The following is happening and was hoping for some guidance on a workaround. I am using actual cost basis for the fund and it is tax-deferred. 1) In year 1 I made a $500 deposit and the cost basis is showing $500, which I expect. 2) In year 2 I made a $500 deposit and the cost basis is showing $1000, which I expect. 3) In year 2 I sell $10 in shares to pay for a custodian fee and the cost basis is showing $985.xx, which I expect it to be an even $990. It is my understanding the cost ba...

Downloading transactions for credit card account.
Hi, I was able to get all my accounts and thier information from my Financial institution when I gave my user-name and pwd. But it appears that none of the transactions for my credit-card got downloaded. I tried updating that account again but to no avail. Any idea as to how one can do it? -Regards, Shridhar In microsoft.public.money, Boka wrote: > >I was able to get all my accounts and thier information from my Financial >institution when I gave my user-name and pwd. But it appears that none of the >transactions for my credit-card got downloaded. I tried updating that acc...

2005 Update Retirement Account Problem
I am having the same problem as discussed in a post on 10/5. Has anyone else seen this or know of a solution? And btw, I am not running XP SP2, just a fully updated SP1 system. I tried everything I could find in the KB to no avail as well. I am getting really frustrated with how many bugs there are in 2005. I have used MS Money for years and have never had as many problems as I have with 2005. I can't believe that this product made it out to the public with as many problems as there are. Any comments would be appreciated. ...

Migrating from GroupWise 6.0
Hey all, My company is performing a massive move from a pure- NetWare (GroupWise 6.0) to pure-Windows (Exchange 2003) environment. However, I need to make sure all of the users have their mailboxes, contacts, cabinets, etc. migrated from GroupWise 6.0 to Exchange 2003. I'm testing it right now in a lab environment, but seem to be stuck. How to I go about migrating all my GroupWise 6.0 data to Exchange 2003 (the users will be using Outlook 2003 as their mail client)? Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me, Joe The Exchange 2003 migration wizard will only m...

Internet Explorer Version 6.0
Have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with subject browser. What's entailed in upgrading my IE browser and how does one backup the browser? Sam spade wrote: > Have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 with subject browser. > > What's entailed in upgrading my IE browser and how does one backup the > browser? > > To upgrade to a later version of IE (8 is recommended), simply go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.aspx and download/install it. There is no process to "backup" the IE6, per se, but if you nee...

Can't Open Some Documents in Word 2004 after Upgrading to 10.6.2
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3342685628_8115826 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit Recently I upgraded to 10.6, now 10.6.2. I have had several problems. For example, I have a folder that has about 30 Word documents in it. Most of them simply will not open. A few will, mostly the older ones, but not exclusively those. I can't discern a pattern. I'm using Word 2004 and have not had this kind of problem befor...

Products by Account report 06-20-07
Whenever we try to run the standard Products by Account report it times out with no result. We have no problems with the other standard reports that we've tried. Does anyone have any ideas why we cannot run this particular report? Are you able to run the report successfully through Report Services Report Manager? http://servername/reports Could be the volume of data is being compiled in time for a connection so it times out. If this is the case check to see if you need to add indexes to the database! -- Rgds Michael MCDBA 2000 | MCITP DBA 2005 "kbarnes" wrote: &g...