Allow Windows NT login authentication in Great Plains

Great Plains should allow Windows NT login authentication, in keeping with a
tighter security intergration.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=20b61851-d066-4cab-8701-376b6f4f202b&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
LAM (33)

The integration would be tighter but it could be successfully argued that the
security would be an issue. All somebody would have to do is get somebody's
password or walk up to a workstation that's logged in and he could get access
to the accounting system.

Having a separate password is more secure.

I would be highly surprised if you ever saw NT authentication in the
Dexterity application. I would be equally surprised if the new "green"
product did not use NT authentication.

"LAM" wrote:

> Great Plains should allow Windows NT login authentication, in keeping with a
> tighter security intergration.
>

> ----------------
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=20b61851-d066-4cab-8701-376b6f4f202b&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
CharlesAllen (483)
10/5/2005 8:52:02 PM
Charles,

I don't agree with your point here. In the same respect someone could walk
up to a machine that's logged into GP and get access to the accounting
system. When ever i leave my desk i always lock my machine. I've heard that
the GP V9.0 Web services integration is going to use active directory users
anyway. So it's on MS wish list.

All you'd have to do is have some sort of timer to force the user to login
again after x amount of minutes inactivity.

"Charles Allen" wrote:

> The integration would be tighter but it could be successfully argued that the
> security would be an issue. All somebody would have to do is get somebody's
> password or walk up to a workstation that's logged in and he could get access
> to the accounting system.
>
> Having a separate password is more secure.
>
> I would be highly surprised if you ever saw NT authentication in the
> Dexterity application. I would be equally surprised if the new "green"
> product did not use NT authentication.
>
> "LAM" wrote:
>
> > Great Plains should allow Windows NT login authentication, in keeping with a
> > tighter security intergration.
> >

> > ----------------
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=20b61851-d066-4cab-8701-376b6f4f202b&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
DaveCraft (1)
11/4/2005 12:40:03 PM
You are right if the person is already logged into GP, which most accounting
people will be all day. So, there is always a security issue. But, my larger
point remains the same: It will probably not happen in the Dexterity
application and it probably will happen in the new Microsoft Dynamics
application.

"Dave Craft" wrote:

> Charles,
>
> I don't agree with your point here. In the same respect someone could walk
> up to a machine that's logged into GP and get access to the accounting
> system. When ever i leave my desk i always lock my machine. I've heard that
> the GP V9.0 Web services integration is going to use active directory users
> anyway. So it's on MS wish list.
>
> All you'd have to do is have some sort of timer to force the user to login
> again after x amount of minutes inactivity.
>
> "Charles Allen" wrote:
>
> > The integration would be tighter but it could be successfully argued that the
> > security would be an issue. All somebody would have to do is get somebody's
> > password or walk up to a workstation that's logged in and he could get access
> > to the accounting system.
> >
> > Having a separate password is more secure.
> >
> > I would be highly surprised if you ever saw NT authentication in the
> > Dexterity application. I would be equally surprised if the new "green"
> > product did not use NT authentication.
> >
> > "LAM" wrote:
> >
> > > Great Plains should allow Windows NT login authentication, in keeping with a
> > > tighter security intergration.
> > >

> > > ----------------
> > > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
> > > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
> > > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
> > > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
> > > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=20b61851-d066-4cab-8701-376b6f4f202b&dg=microsoft.public.greatplains
0
CharlesAllen (483)

Upgrading to 9.0 on Windows Server 2003 64bit Edition
We are upgrading from 7.0 to 9.0. We have new SQL Servers on which we will perform the upgrade and move into production once complete replacing our existing servers. These SQL Servers are running Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64 Edition. When attempting to install either GP v7.0 or v7.5 the error message "The image file ...\CDSetup.exe is valid, but is for a machine type other than the current machine." is presented and the installation script will not initialize. Is it possible to install GP 7.0 or 7.5 on the 64bit version of Windows Server 2003 or must we install the 32 bit v...

Trouble with Forms based authentication in OWA
I am having some problems in setting up OWA with forms based authentication. From my understanding it should work like this: I go to my usual address http://<myserverdomain>/Exchange and I will be directed to the Forms Based Authentication login screen. Once I am there I can choose basic or premium function in OWA and once I authenticate I should be able to access OWA without any other login prompts. Well none of that is happening. Here is what I have done so far. 1. Enabled Forms based authentication in Exchange System manager. 2. Verified that that Authenticated Users group has Read...

Exchange 5.5 in Windows 2000 Domain
HI I am looking for any advise I can get on this subject, or any references you may have. Basically I have an NT4 PDC that currently has Exchange 5.5 installed on it. I have a windows 2000 Database server that is just a member server of hte domain. My NT4 machine is running out of space, so I am getting a new server for exchange. I will install Windows 2000 on this server and then follow the Ed Crowley Server Move method, to move my exchange server over to this new machine. I am comfortable with this. I have just now installed an NT4 BDC into the domain (it is only a very old machine so it ...

Archiving of Windows Live Mail
Can someone please point me to a procedure that will explain how to off load a bunch of emails that I want to keep but do not want in the active WLM folders. Seems like in the Outlook Express days there was a way but I have long since forgot what I did. Help appreciated. You could create a folder(s) on the Desktop and just drag messages into it. -- Bruce Hagen MS-MVP [Mail] Imperial Beach, CA "Ken" <krlorenz@comcast.net> wrote in message news:EB7EFBBB-12DA-4CAF-A02C-556B10A60C58@microsoft.com... > Can someone please poin...

Export News from Outlook express and import into windows mail
I only used outlook express for newsgroup so I need to backup and transfer all the messages that I flagged with the glasses icon. I just installed windows mail and it only downloaded the first 1000 messages. I can't see all of my messages because some of them they are old ... maybe 2002 but i need them all in the same place. How can I transfer these messages and the replies to windows mail? Outlook Express as well as other newsreaders only mirror what is on a news server and newsgroups neither import nor export. You can only export the account setting, but not groups or...

Login Errors
On Great Plains 7.5 when users login (other than 'sa' which works) and then select a company, the following error message is displayed. Unhandled form execption: Cannot open form. Script terminated. EXCEPTION_CLASS_FORM_MISSING SCRIPT_CMD_OPEN Pressing the OK button sends the user back to the company selection screen. Any ideas on how to correct this issue? Thanks The likely cause is that a modified window is missing from one of the dictionaries or users cannot access the dictionary. Curious: Why are you still on GP v7.5? 7.5 is still supported.....until January of 20...

Great Plains and P-Cards
Hi, Does anyone have any experience in integrating expense data from p-cards used employees and the data received from the p-card issuer into either the Great Plains GL or Payables Management modules? Thank you, Anne-Claire AC What is a p-card? Nowadays, used employees are simply discarded ... but that is probably not what you were asking... HS -- www.DynExtra.com A resource for the Microsoft Dynamics Community Featuring FAQs, File Exchange and more Current member count: 40 -------------------------------------------- Share your knowledge. Add your favorite questions and answers He...

CRM, Reporting Services & Forms Authentication
Our company has an app with forms auth that is integrated with Reporting Services. We have forms auth working successfully with Reporting Services. We'd like to integrate CRM and still use forms auth. Is this possible with CRM? Would anyone be kind enough to point me to any documentation or examples of CRM w/ forms auth & Reporting Services? ...

Windows XP
I have a windows xp sp3 machine where there free space goes down to a fixed amount after a reset. Let me explain: I boot the machine (a 40GB HD divided in a 36GB and a 4GB partition), The 4GB partition shows only 600MB free, I run CHKDSK /F D: and it fixes the free space to 2 GB, I reset and it goes back to 600. The same situation is for the 36GB partition where it shows 4GB free but if I boot to the Recovery Console and run chkdsk c: /p it fixes the free space to 18GB but as soon as I reset the free space goes back to 4GB, so the same thing happens if chkdsk runs at boot. Win...

Relaying denied. Proper authentication required ?????????????
Hi! since a few day I get after I reply a message I get this tracking ingfo: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------- Subject: Undeliverable: Task status? Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: RE: Task status? Sent: 16.12.2003 10:53 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'Goerge Smith' on 16.12.2003 10:53 550 5.7.1 <Smith@westDigs.com>... Relaying denied. Proper authentication required. --------------------------------------------...

How do I restore the cell content window on my toobar?
tools options view ........formula bar -- Greetings from New Zealand Bill K "hutchc" <hutchc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4A53F690-97D4-43D6-A458-6AA82B95F575@microsoft.com... > From the View menu, choose Formula Bar hutchc wrote: -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

How to reduce thickness/width of window borders two "normal" 2 pixels?
On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. Have a look at the following snapshot: http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the "normal" size of (approx. 2 pixels) ? Camille Camille Petersen wrote: > On a certain WinXP all borders of all windows are very, very thick/width. > > Have a look at the following snapshot: > > http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/9364/capture20091215121445.png > > What is the reason resp. how can I reduce it to the &...

Launch folder windows in separate processe
The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel -> Folder Options More than one windows explorer open. Each of them opened in other folder. One of them opened for search function. However, if investigating with Task Manager all windows explorer windows lead to the same explorer process (task right click -> Go to process). The list "Processes" of task manager presents only one explorer window. So the setting as mentioned above not really functional. What's the reason? kakii wrote: > > The setting as in subject selected under Control Panel ...

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool
Just a quick question, I am wondering if anyone else is having problems downloading Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. I can download/install it from the Windows Update site but, it will not install using Automatic Updates. This is obviously not a serious problem but, I would like to solve it if possible. Rick Never such a problem here. Always state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; WinXP 64-bit SP2; Vista SP1; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7; Win7 64-bit) when posting in a forum or newsgroup. Please do so in your next reply. What anti-virus application or sec...

SendInput to a window belonging to another application thread
I'm trying to develop a simple application that can send input to a window belonging to another application thread, such as the microsoft on screen keyboard. The matter is that I don't understand how to know what was the last active window to which send the input from my dialog application. Looking on internet I've found a simple application called "Typematic" but it hide the application dialog before use the SendInput() api, it works well but I wish to obtain the same effect without hide the application dialog as the on screen keyboard does. How I could do it? Ho...

Richedit in Asian Language Window
Hi all, I'm working on a application using richedit (V3.0) to display some text containing special character (i.e. ASCII > 128). It work fine in English Window, all those characters can display correctly. When I try to run the program in W2K(Traditional Chinese). All these character will "combine" with next character to form a double byte letter. For Example: "ABC?BDE" will display as "ABC?DE" in Chinese W2K Why the behavious of richedit is different in different OS? And How can I display the text correctly? Many Thx. Marco Marco Hung schrieb: > ...

Fixed Assets
for example: cost of assets: $60,000 dept start on 1/1/2006, for 10 years, 10% yearly, so each yr is $6,000. but, for this type of assets, a special additioal allowance is allowed for 3 year, each yr $1,600. ie. dept for year 1 = $6,000+$1,600 = $7,600 dept for year 2 = $6,000+$1,600 = $7,600 dept for year 3 = $6,000+$1,600 = $7,600 dept for year 4 to year 9 = $6,000 x 6yr = $36,000 total for 9 yr= ($7,600x3+$36,000)=$58,800 then, dept for year 10 = $1,200 (ie. $60,000-$58,800) how to achieve above? ...

SBS 2008 Reboot
I have a client who needed to reboot their server this AM (we couldn't log onto RWW, when this happens, they reboot. It happens once every couple of months.) Upon rebooting, they called and are telling me they are getting a windows titled "Windows Complete PC Restore". Why would this come up on a normal reboot? Did they have a failure of some sort? Can we get by this screen to get the server back online? I thought I would try here first, as I cannot get to the site until later this afternoon. Thank you in advance. -- Ron Anthony Quinn Is the SBS2008 DVD ...

Open IE seperate process and seperate window
Ok, here is a good puzzle. I need to automate opening two IE (independent windows) on two monitors. Here is the reason: I have a security guard that has to monitor two 16 channel DVR windows 24/7 and if the power fails, and / or the system is rebooted, needs to open and logon automatically without keyboard interaction. (keyboard / mouse has been removed). Here is the setup: I have two Security Camera systems (DVR) that have web interfaces. I have a computer setup with dual monitors I have the system to auto logon. I can manually open new IE sessions in seperate windows, then...

Windows Mail can't receive attachment from Outlook 2003
My friend using Outlook 2003 send a email that content attachment to me ( using Windows Mail) and the others friend that (using Outlook 2007). I can received the email but the attachment is missing, but the others friend he can received this email and the attachment together. Any solutions for this issue? Please help. Ask your friend (and any other Outlook users) to only send messages to you in Plain Text format, especially if there's an attachment. Keen wrote: > My friend using Outlook 2003 send a email that content attachment to me ( > using Windows Mail) an...

How do I get email in Outlook Express on an XP machine into Outlook 2007 on Windows 7 Machine?
The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So How do I accomplish this? On Fri, 20 Nov 2009 18:03:05 -0800, MikeH <mikeh@somewhere.net> wrote: > The instructions for importing Outlook Express files from another > machine assume that Outlook Express can be run on the target machine. I > don't believe there is a way to do that on a Windows 2007 machine. So > How do I accomplish this? F...

DCAA Compliance with Great Plains Project Accounting
We are working with a Great Plains prospect that is bidding on certain government contracts that would require that their accounting software be DCAA compliant. Are there any Great Plains partners who have used Great Plains Project Accounting for this purpose who could confirm that Great Plains PA is DCAA compliant. I know that Solomon is DCAA compliant and that their are other 3rd party products that integrate with Great Plains that are compliant, however in this particular case the client has GP Project Accounting in place and I need to confirm compliance. Thanks, Rick DeLello ...

security privileges window upon opening GP
Hello: A user in Micorosoft Dynamics GP 9.0 can get into GP but not before getting a nuisance error message saying that he does not have security privileges to open this window. He has all of the minimum secuirty access to the system and company series including the Progress window. I have run through all of the TKs but to no effect. What else could it be? Thanks! childofthe1980s I helped another user recently with this and the message was caused by a form in the HR product. Please see this thread for the troubleshooting steps we used. The posting was Security error when loggin...

Writing to windows registry using XML....
Dear All, I have query regarding the registry. Is it possible to write it to windows registry using the XML? if yes then what is the API or tag used to write it. I am just a beginner in XML. thanks in advance. Regards, Umesh kbnumesh@gmail.com wrote: > I have query regarding the registry. > > Is it possible to write it to windows registry using the XML? > if yes then what is the API or tag used to write it. Why do you want to use XML when dealing with the Windows registry? It is not based on XML so I don't see that XML helps. The .NET framework 2.0 has this class <...