Adv Security - how to roll down chg FASTER to all users?

we have 40+ users grouped in few classes, with 10+ companies.
All classes has same access right in ALL companies.

after customizing a report, when using Adv Security to grant access to all
classes (thus will rolldwn to all users) is very slow.

when I select ALL companies, all click on user class one at a time, the
mouse will turn to an hour glass for few minutes before I can click on the
customized report option, then click on another user class, wait for a few
minutes again etc.

any tips/trick to make it faster?

BTW, I had follow KB articles to set Adv Secutiry to the recommended setting.

thks in advance.

0
HFLo (288)

Hi Lo

If you are changing settings by User Class there is no need to select the
companies.  The changes made on the Class will be automatically rolled down
to all companies of all users assigned to that Class.

One thing you can do to improve performance is to uncheck the "Display class
changes on affected users" checkbox in the Advanced Security Options.

This means that you will not see the changes made on Classes as you make
them, but they will still be rolled down when you click OK or Apply.  So this
means that there will be a length of time needed to do the processing, but
you can get all your settings changed first and only rolldown when you have
finished.

Hope this helps

David Musgrave [MSFT]
Original Developer of Advanced Security
Senior Development Consultant
Escalation Engineer - Great Plains

Micorosoft Dynamics (formerly Microsoft Business Solutions)
http://www.microsoft.com/Dynamics

mailto:dmusgrav@online.microsoft.com

and confers no rights.

"HFLo" wrote:

> we have 40+ users grouped in few classes, with 10+ companies.
> All classes has same access right in ALL companies.
>
> after customizing a report, when using Adv Security to grant access to all
> classes (thus will rolldwn to all users) is very slow.
>
> when I select ALL companies, all click on user class one at a time, the
> mouse will turn to an hour glass for few minutes before I can click on the
> customized report option, then click on another user class, wait for a few
> minutes again etc.
>
> any tips/trick to make it faster?
>
> BTW, I had follow KB articles to set Adv Secutiry to the recommended setting.
>
> thks in advance.

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)
11/8/2006 11:36:02 PM
By the way, the KB for Advanced Security was recently updated.  Here is the
link.

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;894705

"HFLo" wrote:

> we have 40+ users grouped in few classes, with 10+ companies.
> All classes has same access right in ALL companies.
>
> after customizing a report, when using Adv Security to grant access to all
> classes (thus will rolldwn to all users) is very slow.
>
> when I select ALL companies, all click on user class one at a time, the
> mouse will turn to an hour glass for few minutes before I can click on the
> customized report option, then click on another user class, wait for a few
> minutes again etc.
>
> any tips/trick to make it faster?
>
> BTW, I had follow KB articles to set Adv Secutiry to the recommended setting.
>
> thks in advance.

0
dmusgrav1 (1325)

#NAME? Error With User Defined Functions
Excel 2007 I have a problem that has been driving me nuts. I created a code module and have pasted a couple of user defined functions into the module. When I am entering my formula into a cell and I start typing the name of the function, I see that the function is listed in the drop-down list of functions. That tells me that Excel recognizes the function. However, after entering the formula I get a #NAME? error. Here is a link to just one of the user defined functions that I've been trying to use. http://xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html#code Other peo...

Account Names not showing when adding new user
Hi, I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install and when adding users to access the SharePoint site, directory services only returns admin users of the SharePoint/Project Server? How do I get AD to return all the users in the domain? Thanks! Steve Steve: What do you mean when you say "I created a SharePoint site off of a 2007 Project Server install?" Your description lacks a few details. "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EAA4C48D-9D6A-44C7-84BF-787AE762561E@microsoft.com... > Hi, >...

Managed User #2
Testing to see if this setup allows me to be properly identified as a managed user. ...

Windows 2000 server user names
Where can I configure the user names formatting like you do in Recipient policies? yaro ...

Visual Basic Editor Opening and Closing for User
I have a user who is learning VB in excel. When she opens the visual basic editor it imedietely opens and then closes. When I do it as administrator it opens and stays open. Obviously a permission issue. Does anyone know how to allow her to open the VB editor in Excel and use it w/out giving her administrator access to the whole computer. I tried giving her write permissions to the Excel.exe but this does not solve the problem. Thanks. In xl2003, from the Excel window: Tools>Macro>Security>Trusted Publishers and then check the trust boxes at the bottom of the d...

Using Advanced Security
1. We need to roll out some changes in security. What I want to do is make changes to the user classes, roll these changes to the test system and validate them, thereafter roll these changes to production. How can I roll down class changes/copy class security only to one company at a time? 2. When we to use import/export functionality, while importing, should we mark "only import non-default security"? What does this flag do? Hi Jack The followin KB has lots of information that you will find useful. https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase/KBDisplay.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;89470...

"grouping" a table to prevent change from users
Hi, I would like to group an entire table with a wdContentControlGroup type of Content Control to prevent editing from users except in some wdContentControlRichText type of Content Control. I'm having problem in passing the right Range of the table. If I use: With ActiveDocument Set r = .Tables(1).Range Set objcc = .ContentControls.Add(wdContentControlGroup, r) End With an error "5224" "Wrong selection" arise. If I use: With ActiveDocument .Tables(1).Select Set objcc = .ContentControls.Add(wdCo...

User removed Anonymous permission from Calendar...how to get it back
A user has deleted the Anonymous permissions from their calendar and I am unable to find a way to get it back. Does anyone know what can be done to add this back to their calendar. TIA In news:Xns9861A9314BAB8bobarcabca@207.46.248.16, Fuzzy Logic <bob@arc.ab.caREMOVETHIS> typed: > A user has deleted the Anonymous permissions from their calendar and > I am unable to find a way to get it back. Does anyone know what can > be done to add this back to their calendar. TIA In that user's Outlook, right-click on Calendar, properties, permissions tab. Add Anonymous, and do whate...

printer security settings in registry from MFC or Win32API
Hi to all, I am trying to make a service for controlling print jobs for Win NT/2000/XP platform. I realized it would be very convenient to set the following printer security settings for USERS or Everyone Groups: Allow Print, Deny manage documents. I saw that it is possible to do that for 2000 and XP, but I did not find anything about setting Deny manage documents for NT. So, my first question is: Is it possible to set Deny manage documents for NT 4.0 in some other manner?? Later, I realized that registry value KEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Print\Printers\<printe...

activies need to roll up from sub-accounts to accounts
activities associated with an account need to rollup through all parent accounts above. Jerry http://www.iBizInitiatives.com ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?m...

Recovering Microsoft User Data
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC Email Client: pop Hi there, <br> I've read the discussions on this one but my steps haven't yet righted the problem. I accidently trashed my 2004 user data last night. I have recovered it and moved it into the docs folder alongside the old file calling the new file Microsoft User Data old - but then Entourage keeps replacing it.. What steps should I take to restore my data in Entourage? Thank you! <br><br>Duncan To update: I have a 266MB file called database in my Office 2004 identiti...

Users can't access CRM via a VPN connection
Hi -- we're trying to set it up so our remote users can VPN into the office and use CRM via their Outlook client. We have CRM 3.0 and we're using a Check Point firewall. The CRM Outlook client works great when they're in the office but when they try during a VPN session they get the infamous error: "There is a problem communicating with the Microsoft CRM server. The server might be unavailabe..." Outlook connects to the Exchange server as it should -- but for some reason CRM won't work. I've already looked through the KB article 910090 and none of tha...

Number of users
Can anybody tell me the number of users that can use Excel at any one point. I am fairly sure that a number of users can use it at once, but will they have to look at the spreadsheet in a 'read only' state with only one user having the full functions of the spreadsheet. So basically, is it true that a number of users can use it, but the spreadsheet is in a read only format? any help will be most appreciated. Mark -- pompey_student ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pompey_student's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...

Test managed user
Testing again to see if my set up is correct to identify me as managed user. ------=_NextPart_0001_26B25925 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Hello, This email came in under Open- Managed User. Please let me know if you have further questions. Thanks, Dana Dunlop Microsoft Online Support Engineer ====================================================== PLEASE NOTE: The partner managed newsgroups are provided to assist with break/fix issues and simple how to questions. We also love to hear your product feedback! Let us know what you think by posting ...

restrict excel export to some users
hello, we would like to allow the excel export only to some of our reporting service users. i know that we can switch off excel export in the ssrs instance, but then nobody can export report data to excel. we would like to allow one usergroup can export to excel, other groups not. how can i realize this? any howto´s, ideas or workarrounds? thanks andreas -- mfg andreas I am not aware of any way to do this unless you write your own front end instead of using Report Manager. -- Bruce Loehle-Conger MVP SQL Server Reporting Services "AnRa" <...

Re-enabling a disabled user problem
Hello, On my Exchange server (SBS 2003, Exchange 2003), I was recently instructed to delete a couple of logins of people who left the company. I like to simply disable them for a while just in case we need to get back into their mailboxes. One one such user, it turns out he still needs to use his mailbox. I re-enabled him, but all subsequent emails are bounced back ("The message reached the recipient's e-mail system, but delivery was refused. Attempt to resend the message. If it still fails, contact your system administrator."). How do I open up the mailbox to receive emai...

MSN Sync
Is anyone aware of any reviews or studies establishing the security of the information on MSN? As I mentioned in another post, I've been hesitant to sync all my financial info with MS servers, but if there has been any 3rd party validation of security and privacy I may consider it. Thanks! Carlos, Very tempting....., but DON'T DO IT!!! JB "Carlos G" <cgnjunkregDELETE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<#ggc5ALUEHA.760@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>... > Is anyone aware of any reviews or studies establishing the security of the > information on MSN? As I men...

Security
when I try to send a link from a web site I get a message that Outlook block potentially unsafe attachments, if I send the e-mail to myself I get teh same message back that out has blocked bla bla bla HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF>..... if I send the link to my aol account rather then comcast I can read the link (or attachment) no porblem, HELP..... phil Can't really be turned off, but it can be customized to need. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm for more information. -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be de...

allow template user to insert picture
I'm creating a form which I will save as a protected template. How do I allow users to insert their own logo in a designated area? Is this possible? I tried using the "image" control box field but I'm not sure if this is what it is intended for. Thanks I think I'd use a macro that asked for the logo, unprotected the worksheet, added the logo and then reprotected the worksheet. Kind of... Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myPictName As Variant Dim myPict As Picture Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets("sheet1") myPictName ...

Activate Mailbox Calendars without logging on as user?
Hi Exchange experts, I have created a test site with an OU of 20 users with Exchange 2003 mailboxes. I would like to use PFDAVAdmin to grant everyone read only permissions to the calendars and grant publishing editor (or equivalent) permissions on the calendars so I can populate the users with test appointments. I understood that PFDAVAdmin synchronizes free/busy info at the same time as it assigns permissions. However, I am having two problems that I would appreciate you advice on : a) I cannot seem to access the mailbox calendar properties in PFDAVAdmin until I try to access them ...

Outlook Security Settings
When clicking on the Trusted Code Tab for the Outlook Security Settings form I receive the error "Could not load some objects because they are not available on this machine" I click OK and the add button is disabled/doesn't work. I am simply trying to get into the Trusted Code tab so I can add one dll. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thank you. On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 06:54:03 -0800, Th3man <Th3man@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >When clicking on the Trusted Code Tab for the Outlook Security Settings form >I receive the error "Could not load some ob...

single user email gets lost or arrives hours late
I have a user that is using office xp. we run excg5.5. he can send out an email to a user and sometimes the user gets it and sometimes he dosen't. we don't get bounce back message. i am trying to figure out what the problem is. The users address is saved in the users contacts list. ...

How to switch users in browser
I have a quite simpel question, but the answer is hard to get. So I hope someone can help I would like to start MS CRM 4 in a browser It is simpel. http://crmserver:5555 then the CRM starts with my user. But I sometimes need to login to the browser version with another user name. I don't see how to do this. I have tried to delete all browser history, but still just login as my normal user. So I just want to have the login screen to pop up, so I can type in another user. Thanks, Munk Hi, In your Internet Explorer options, you should check your security options. See in the Int...

Silly question
on our exchange backend, the applied policy has a time limit set for deleted items to retain them for 2 days. What i need to know is what exactly 2 days mean, is it the time from the actual moment the item is deleted, or will it mean that the moment 2 days pass on the calender the items will be removed? the policy is based on the modification time, which is when the item is put into the deleted items folder. "chrisste24" <chrisste24@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9F72DCD4-CB76-4BFD-B0AD-32005D165C23@microsoft.com... > on our exchange backend, the ap...

Users requiring multiple mailboxes
We are currently running NT server 4.0 and Exchange 5.5. I have joined this orginization just recently and the method they have used to create Calendars for things like resources and rooms has been to create a new mailbox and then assign staff permission to the mailboxes This means that nearly everyone has at least 5 or 6 mailboxes associated to there Outlook profile. On top of this they do the same for each new "group" e-mail they want created i.e. info@abc.com, request@abc.com etc. I believe this is so they can send on behalf of I believe in using Public Folders which they barely...