Account Framework, Account Format, & Default COA - Confusion

Someone please tell me if I have this straight.  When you first
install GP, there is a default account framework which is set to max
length of 66 with max segments of 9.  Which means you can have up to 9
segments divvied up any way you wish as long as the total of all
segments does not exceed 66 characters.  Correct?  And for which there
is really no need to change this. Correct?

Now, when you setup a company you can setup your account format any
way you want as long as it =93fits within=94 the account framework.  So,
if you leave the account framework set to the defaults you can setup a
company with only say 2 segments of say 4 chars each.  Correct?  The 2
segments =93fit within=94 the 9 set as default and the total of 8 char
fits within the 66.

But if you select to import a default COA from the list provided, that
default COA will automatically determine your account framework for
you.  Correct?

So, is there a way to see the account format for a default COA?  Do
most people use this feature of ignore it and setup your COA from
scratch.  I mean, even if you decide to import a default COA, there
has to be a lot of modifications which to me seems like more of a
hassle then starting with no default COA and creating your own.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

JDM
0
JimmyDarkMoon

Hi Jimmy,
If I understand your question, then there is a "Correct" way in GP to see
the  account format of default COA.  MS Dynamics GP -> Tools -> Setup ->
Company -> Account Format.
I recall that I read in GP Guide which suggests that always allow rooms to
grow in designing your account framework. Our company account framework has 5
segments and each segment has 5 characters, a total 25 characters in length.
However, we only use 1 segment in which the account numbers were imported
from our old accounting program.

Hope this has given you ideas how other company design its account framework.

"JimmyDarkMoon" wrote:

> Someone please tell me if I have this straight.  When you first
> install GP, there is a default account framework which is set to max
> length of 66 with max segments of 9.  Which means you can have up to 9
> segments divvied up any way you wish as long as the total of all
> segments does not exceed 66 characters.  Correct?  And for which there
> is really no need to change this. Correct?
>
> Now, when you setup a company you can setup your account format any
> way you want as long as it “fits within” the account framework.  So,
> if you leave the account framework set to the defaults you can setup a
> company with only say 2 segments of say 4 chars each.  Correct?  The 2
> segments “fit within” the 9 set as default and the total of 8 char
> fits within the 66.
>
> But if you select to import a default COA from the list provided, that
> default COA will automatically determine your account framework for
> you.  Correct?
>
> So, is there a way to see the account format for a default COA?  Do
> most people use this feature of ignore it and setup your COA from
> scratch.  I mean, even if you decide to import a default COA, there
> has to be a lot of modifications which to me seems like more of a
> hassle then starting with no default COA and creating your own.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> JDM
> .

Two things to add:

1. The ‘default’ account framework is actually max of 66 and 10 segments
with a length of 6 for each segment.  Once you have selected this during your
installation, you cannot make one of your segments have a length of 7, even
thought the overall total will still be less than 66.
2. In almost 20 years of using, supporting and implementing GP I have not
seen a single company use one of the ‘default’ charts of accounts.

--
Victoria Yudin
Dynamics GP MVP (2005 - 2010)

"JimmyDarkMoon" wrote:

> Someone please tell me if I have this straight.  When you first
> install GP, there is a default account framework which is set to max
> length of 66 with max segments of 9.  Which means you can have up to 9
> segments divvied up any way you wish as long as the total of all
> segments does not exceed 66 characters.  Correct?  And for which there
> is really no need to change this. Correct?
>
> Now, when you setup a company you can setup your account format any
> way you want as long as it “fits within” the account framework.  So,
> if you leave the account framework set to the defaults you can setup a
> company with only say 2 segments of say 4 chars each.  Correct?  The 2
> segments “fit within” the 9 set as default and the total of 8 char
> fits within the 66.
>
> But if you select to import a default COA from the list provided, that
> default COA will automatically determine your account framework for
> you.  Correct?
>
> So, is there a way to see the account format for a default COA?  Do
> most people use this feature of ignore it and setup your COA from
> scratch.  I mean, even if you decide to import a default COA, there
> has to be a lot of modifications which to me seems like more of a
> hassle then starting with no default COA and creating your own.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated.
>
> JDM
> .

Hi,

I too have never seen anyone use a default chart of accounts. Like Victoria,
I go back a long time in Dynamics support!

Leslie

"Victoria [MVP]" wrote:

> Two things to add:
>
> 1. The ‘default’ account framework is actually max of 66 and 10 segments
> with a length of 6 for each segment.  Once you have selected this during your
> installation, you cannot make one of your segments have a length of 7, even
> thought the overall total will still be less than 66.
> 2. In almost 20 years of using, supporting and implementing GP I have not
> seen a single company use one of the ‘default’ charts of accounts.
>
> --
> Victoria Yudin
> Dynamics GP MVP (2005 - 2010)
> Want to run Crystal and SSRS reports from GP?
> http://www.flex-solutions.com/gpreports.html
> Blog: http://victoriayudin.com
>

> "JimmyDarkMoon" wrote:
>
> > Someone please tell me if I have this straight.  When you first
> > install GP, there is a default account framework which is set to max
> > length of 66 with max segments of 9.  Which means you can have up to 9
> > segments divvied up any way you wish as long as the total of all
> > segments does not exceed 66 characters.  Correct?  And for which there
> > is really no need to change this. Correct?
> >
> > Now, when you setup a company you can setup your account format any
> > way you want as long as it “fits within” the account framework.  So,
> > if you leave the account framework set to the defaults you can setup a
> > company with only say 2 segments of say 4 chars each.  Correct?  The 2
> > segments “fit within” the 9 set as default and the total of 8 char
> > fits within the 66.
> >
> > But if you select to import a default COA from the list provided, that
> > default COA will automatically determine your account framework for
> > you.  Correct?
> >
> > So, is there a way to see the account format for a default COA?  Do
> > most people use this feature of ignore it and setup your COA from
> > scratch.  I mean, even if you decide to import a default COA, there
> > has to be a lot of modifications which to me seems like more of a
> > hassle then starting with no default COA and creating your own.
> >
> > Any advice would be much appreciated.
> >
> > JDM
> > .

school accounts
I cannot seem to get Outlook to cooperate with my email account through my school. I'm not even sure where to start with setting up my account. Any help is appreciated You should start by contacting your school mail administrator to ask for the server and logon details :-) -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "GoingNuts" <GoingNuts@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:213599C6-7913-4FE6-9DCE-70A358128E46@microsoft.com...

convert personal folder file format (97-2002) to outlook 2003 for.
I'm currently having the 97-2002 personal file format and would like to convert it to 2003 format. I've upgraded to Outlook 2003. You cannot convert it; Create a new Outlook 2003 pst-file and move the folders by hand to the new pst-file. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "SkyFox" <SkyFox@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B066A2C7-307C-4298-AC68-C929D8D5EC59@microsoft.com... > I'm currently having the 97...

setting up account for outlook?
Can anyone help me? Im new at this and would like to e-mail a friend whos over in iraq! Talk to your ISP - they will give you all the information you need to set up your account. We cannot. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Rasheem asked: | Can anyone help me? Im new at this and would like to e-mail a friend | whos over in iraq! ...

Custom formatting #7
How can I do the following custom formatting – I need trailing dots before the number ……..1,234.00 Thanks for any help Right Click > Format Cells > Select Custom Enter "........ "0.00 "John Knoke" <JohnKnoke@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:586761E6-32A9-4911-BF50-3790614145B2@microsoft.com... > > How can I do the following custom formatting - > I need trailing dots before the number > ....1,234.00 > > Thanks for any help > > John, Use a custom number format of *.#,###.00 Note the period between the * and the f...

Cell format wrong on import from HTML: text becomes scientific notation integer
I am importing tables from HTML files. One of the fields is an alpha ID which frequently takes the form 1E<99>. Excel invariably imports this as an integer in scientific notation, which makes restoration of the 4 digit text value unreasonably difficult. There could be up to 50 IDs in the 1E<99> format in a single column. Even when the column format is subsequently changed to text, repairing the damage is like removing glass splinters with tweezers. Trying to Edit>Replace 1E+ with 1E doesn't work, either because Excel thinks it would be mangling a formula (in which case ...

Get $500 to your PAYPAL Account by just one CLICK)

Favorite Folders reverts to default list when computer shut-down
I have no problem adding, deleting or moving folders in the Favorite Folders pane. The problem is that they all disappear and revert to the default list everytime my computer is shut down. So I have to keep adding the folders back in Is there a way to keep the shortcut folders in the Favorite Folders pane? ...

Convert time stored as decimalised number to time format
Hello How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? -- Emma Emma A1/24 and formate as time Mike Rogers "Emma" wrote: > Hello > How can I convert 3.5 hours to 3:30:00? > -- > Emma ...

Keeping the format but update the data
I have a report I run everyday. I want to update the data, but keep the column sizes and formatting. Any suggestions? Anybody suggest a good ebook to become more formuliar with excel? JoeM JoeM, this could be as simple as recording a macro during the formatting of the sheet after importing the data once. Then each day, after importing the new data, you simply run that macro. As for online eBook's for Excel, I'm not actually aware of any although I suspect a Google search would turn up several. It's hard to beat the "For Dummies..." series of hardcopy...

Is there a way to have 2 Outlook email accounts open at the same .
Currently I have to close one email account before checking my second email account, which I do all day long and is a bit of a nuisance. Please help! There's got to be a way that I can keep both open and just click on the bar on the bottom of the page to go from one to the other with ease ... please tell me how to do that! Thank you!!! -- Diane It's so easy to do, I'm sure that's why you missed it. Tools > Email Accounts... > Add the other accounts. Each will show in the same Outlook window, but in different PSTs. bondg "Diane" <Diane@discuss...

export email account #2
was incredibly easy in express. Like som many other things this feature is missing or not at all obvious in outlook. Anyone know how to do it? Getho You can try using the Microsoft Office 2003 Save My Settings Wizard. "Getho" <gethinc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:42bbb2d5$0$27710$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au... > was incredibly easy in express. Like som many other things this feature > is missing or not at all obvious in outlook. Anyone know how to do it? ...

NEED HELP-wrong formatting saved ??
After using word 2007 and saving a word file, it changed the formatting from the previous file (i think it was .wps microsoft works word processor) and now its all messed up.....I think I saved it in some other wrong encoding standard......now, whenever I open this file now half of it is in some weird looking unreadable characters....like this with wha捬屨捦ㅳ尠晡‰汜牴档晜獣‰歜牥楮杮尰扤档慜㍦㔱㔰楜獮獲摩㌱ㄳ〶‷਍灜牡素筽⩜灜獮捥癬ㅬ灜畮牣屭湰瑳牡ㅴ灜楮摮湥㝴〲灜桮湡⁧屻湰硴慴ges! That is what seems to happen once the system breaks its laws from the inside. ......couldnt find online solutions...does anyone have any suggestions or s...

Conditional Formating: linking to display another cell
Hello, I am trying to make a traffic light with symbols and I've read to 'use a separate cell for the dropdown choices, with their resulting value linked into the formatted cell through an IF function, using the character that you want to display.' So: =IF someone enters '1' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$4 (will it display font and attributes?) =IF someone enters '2' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$5 =IF someone enters '3' in B8, THEN display contents of $C$6 But I've been reading everywhere and CF is very new to me and I need ...

how will i convert 05.01.2007 convert 05.Jan.2007 format?
If you're looking for a worksheet function, with 05.01.2007 in cell A1, use =DATE(RIGHT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),LEFT(A1,2)) This formula assumes that month and day number have the leading "0" (e.g., "05" not "5"). If you're looking for a VBA solution, use something like Dim S As String Dim Arr As Variant Dim Dt As Date S = "05.01.2007" Arr = Split(S, ".") Dt = DateSerial(Arr(LBound(Arr) + 2), Arr(LBound(Arr) + 1), Arr(LBound(Arr))) Debug.Print Dt -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson ...

Limited User Account
I am thinking of buying Microsoft Money Plus 2008 to use on a computer with Windows XP. I read in the user guide that I must install it with an administrator account, which I would expect. After it is installed, can I import data from Quicken 2006 and use MS Money Plus from a limited user account? The reason I ask is I do all my routine work with a limited user account and only use the administrator account when absolutely necessary. Gerry In microsoft.public.money, Geber wrote: >I am thinking of buying Microsoft Money Plus 2008 to use on a computer >with Windows XP. I read in the...

2003 format in 2007?
I'm used to Outlook 2003, but I just bought a new computer and installed Outlook 2007. I view a week at a time, and I prefer the calendar format in 2003 -- it shows the whole week in two columns and I didn't have to scroll. Is there a way I can use the same format in 2007? No, unfortunately that view had to be removed to enabled calendar overlay. Try a two week view: http://slipstick.me/2wk -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dai...

Newbie Needs Help With Formatting E-Mails
Newbie Needs Help With Formatting E-Mails Hi all. I'm new to this site and would appreciate some formatting help. I created a new Word doc and copied and pasted some graphics and some simple text boxes in to it. The graphics and text boxes were created in Powerpoint by someone else. Looks fine on my screen. Before sending it out via e-mail to an Outlook e-mail group I have, I first sent myself a test message to see what it would look like on the receiving end. It looks a mess! The text boxes are all over the place, as is the text that is not in a box. Also, everything slide over to ...

And introducing... The Default Text Box Add-in!!
Default Text Box for Publisher 2002/2003 allows you to save defaults for text boxes in Publisher 2002 (which before now has been impossible) and to save these defaults for use in future publications (which isn't even possible with Publisher 2003!) Download it now from http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/Publisher/add-ins.htm Go on, give it a go - it's free! -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher http://www.mvps.org/the_nerd/ Before reading this message, view the disclaimer: http://mvps.org/the_nerd/disclaim.htm I don't want add-ons for 2002 - I want 2003! "Ed Bennett" <...

Account Category Setups
Is there any limit on the number of account category setups that can be added? I've added a new catedgory, but I can't see it on the FRx side. I'm to a point where the FRx numbers I see are @ 145 as to the category label (since I can't see descriptions. Thanks Merle, There is not a one stop fix for this issue and you may want to follow the steps outlined in KB article 873974 to resolve. Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Merle Schwickerath" wrote: > Is there any limit ...

Outlook keeps making itself Default
Hi, Everytime I start Outlook it takes over as default for email and addresses even though I have that option unchecked in outlook, and in IE I set OE Express as default, yet each time I launch outlook it takes over as Default, any ideas TIA Wayne ...

formatting #2
Is the strikethrough formatting option no longer available in Publisher? Or if you need to use a strikethrough do you have to draw a line through the text? The line does not always stay in the same spot when you group and then have to paste on another page. Waggie wrote: > Is the strikethrough formatting option no longer available in > Publisher? Or if you need to use a strikethrough do you have to draw > a line through the text? The line does not always stay in the same > spot when you group and then have to paste on another page. ========================== You have the an...

Trying to get a type of video file format to open and run on my we
I created a video using Windows Movie maker and saved as .wmp file. I saved it to my computer and then inserted on my web page under Front Page 2003. Nothing! I then converted the file to avi format - still nothing! I then tried mpeg4 still nothing. The manual is next to useless on this subject. Anyone tell me what I need to do so that when a user opens up the page the video plays automatically. -- Simon Holloway Save as a .wmv and insert a suitable player into the page. For IE only, Insert->Web Component->Advanced Controls->ActiveX Control Click Next Choose Window...

Text formatted email
I am trying to email a long hyperlink path to some one that can only receive text formatted emails. When they receive the email it, the hyperlink gets converted in to 2 lines, top line is a hyperlink (path incomplete) the second line is "text" with the balance of the hyperlink path. I placed < > around the hyperlink and it still splits in to 2 lines. Is there any way to keep the full link path intact? Thanks! jvs Tiny URL to the rescue! :-) http://tinyurl.com/ -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Cr...

Account for Incoming email only?
Will Outlook allow a second email account with Incoming mail settings only? For a variety of reasons I cannot set up a second account that includes outgoing server settings and I'd like to be able to check an account with forwarding email all over the galaxy. I was hoping that just setting up my "two-way" email account as the default would solve the problem but it doesn't. Thanks for the help. JanDG <jandg@cableone.net> wrote: > Will Outlook allow a second email account with Incoming mail settings > only? Yes. > For a variety of reasons I cannot set...

Import data not in correct format
Import data reads: Need to do statistical anaysis on hundreds of numbers and Cell value # of Cells don't want to enter the numbers by hand. 3 1 4 2 Would like: Cell Value 3 4 4 ...