Strange difference between IE & Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc

Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an existing site (which uses shared 
borders by default), any text that is entered on the new page shows properly 
on IE8, but does not appear at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I 
change the formatting and deactivate the shared border for that page, the 
text appears just fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.

The existing pages on the site (using shared borders) display just fine on 
Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.

What could be responsible for this strange behaviour and how can it be 
fixed? 

0
Blake
6/5/2010 3:01:44 AM
frontpage.client 522 articles. 0 followers. Follow

6 Replies
904 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 54

Cannot answer the question without seeing the pages - please supply a link to the page.

Shared borders are design time components, rendered as tables in the finished page. There is no reason why shared borders can be responsible for the behaviour you are seeing.

--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an 
> existing site (which uses shared borders by 
> default), any text that is entered on the new 
> page shows properly on IE8, but does not appear 
> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I 
> change the formatting and deactivate the shared 
> border for that page, the text appears just 
> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.

> The existing pages on the site (using shared 
> borders) display just fine on Firefox / Chrome 
> / Opera etc.

> What could be responsible for this strange 
> behaviour and how can it be fixed?

-- 
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details 
of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


0
Ronx
6/5/2010 8:15:05 AM
Here is a sample page: http://tinyurl.com/2afw3su

The first sentence appears when viewed in IE, but not in other browsers! 
This happens to all new pages created from scratch, but old pages seem to 
work fine.

If I remove the shared border, pages display just fine.

What could this be due to and how can it be fixed?


"Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:ePJR7cIBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Cannot answer the question without seeing the pages - please supply a link 
> to the page.
>
> Shared borders are design time components, rendered as tables in the 
> finished page. There is no reason why shared borders can be responsible 
> for the behaviour you are seeing.
>
> --
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go 
> see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
>
> Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
>> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an
>> existing site (which uses shared borders by
>> default), any text that is entered on the new
>> page shows properly on IE8, but does not appear
>> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I
>> change the formatting and deactivate the shared
>> border for that page, the text appears just
>> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.
>
>> The existing pages on the site (using shared
>> borders) display just fine on Firefox / Chrome
>> / Opera etc.
>
>> What could be responsible for this strange
>> behaviour and how can it be fixed?
>
> -- 
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details
> of why and where to go see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
> 

0
Blake
6/5/2010 2:03:51 PM
IE gets it wrong - the text should not be visible in any browser.

The theme defines the colour of text in tables as transparent - this effectively means the same colour as the background. Where you have text showing it is because text colour is defined, either in a font tag, or the text is in a html tag that has a coloutr defined (<a href=... for example).
The fix is to modify the theme so that all text (paragraphs etc) has a defined colour.
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
> Here is a sample page: 
> http://tinyurl.com/2afw3su

> The first sentence appears when viewed in IE, 
> but not in other browsers! This happens to all 
> new pages created from scratch, but old pages 
> seem to work fine.

> If I remove the shared border, pages display 
> just fine.

> What could this be due to and how can it be 
> fixed?


> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:ePJR7cIBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Cannot answer the question without seeing the 
>> pages - please supply a link to the page.
>>
>> Shared borders are design time components, 
>> rendered as tables in the finished page. 
>> There is no reason why shared borders can be 
>> responsible for the behaviour you are seeing.
>>
>> --
>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for 
>> details of why and where to go see
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>
>>
>> Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
>>> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an
>>> existing site (which uses shared borders by
>>> default), any text that is entered on the 
>>> new
>>> page shows properly on IE8, but does not 
>>> appear
>>> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I
>>> change the formatting and deactivate the 
>>> shared
>>> border for that page, the text appears just
>>> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.
>>
>>> The existing pages on the site (using shared
>>> borders) display just fine on Firefox / 
>>> Chrome
>>> / Opera etc.
>>
>>> What could be responsible for this strange
>>> behaviour and how can it be fixed?
>>
>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression 
>> Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for 
>> details
>> of why and where to go see
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>
>> 

-- 
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details 
of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


0
Ronx
6/5/2010 6:30:46 PM
Thanks much, for that diagnosis. The next question is how do I modify the 
theme to make the text non-transparent? Should I attempt modifying the theme 
attributes for this page only or globally throughout the site? And another 
question - if the problem lies with the theme (please do not read this as 
doubting your analysis), why is it that the other pages display just fine?

Thanks for your help


"Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OCx6%230NBLHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> IE gets it wrong - the text should not be visible in any browser.
>
> The theme defines the colour of text in tables as transparent - this 
> effectively means the same colour as the background. Where you have text 
> showing it is because text colour is defined, either in a font tag, or the 
> text is in a html tag that has a coloutr defined (<a href=... for 
> example).
> The fix is to modify the theme so that all text (paragraphs etc) has a 
> defined colour.
> --
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go 
> see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
>
> Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
>> Here is a sample page:
>> http://tinyurl.com/2afw3su
>
>> The first sentence appears when viewed in IE,
>> but not in other browsers! This happens to all
>> new pages created from scratch, but old pages
>> seem to work fine.
>
>> If I remove the shared border, pages display
>> just fine.
>
>> What could this be due to and how can it be
>> fixed?
>
>
>> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:ePJR7cIBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> Cannot answer the question without seeing the
>>> pages - please supply a link to the page.
>>>
>>> Shared borders are design time components,
>>> rendered as tables in the finished page.
>>> There is no reason why shared borders can be
>>> responsible for the behaviour you are seeing.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>> details of why and where to go see
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>
>>>
>>> Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
>>>> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an
>>>> existing site (which uses shared borders by
>>>> default), any text that is entered on the
>>>> new
>>>> page shows properly on IE8, but does not
>>>> appear
>>>> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If I
>>>> change the formatting and deactivate the
>>>> shared
>>>> border for that page, the text appears just
>>>> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.
>>>
>>>> The existing pages on the site (using shared
>>>> borders) display just fine on Firefox /
>>>> Chrome
>>>> / Opera etc.
>>>
>>>> What could be responsible for this strange
>>>> behaviour and how can it be fixed?
>>>
>>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression
>>> Web)
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>> details
>>> of why and where to go see
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>
>>>
>
> -- 
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details
> of why and where to go see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
> 

0
Blake
6/5/2010 6:47:44 PM
I checked your Home page and Australia.htm
Australia.htm has font colours defined for all text, the Home page has the same problem as the mystery.htm.  I have not looked at any others.

To modify the theme:
Open the website and a page
Format->Theme
Choose the theme and click the down arrow on the thumbnail, choose Customize
Click Text
Click 2More text styles in the left column
In the Styles column, scroll down to Table and select it (near the bottom of the list)
Click Modify
Click Format
Click Borders from the dropdown (intuitive, this - isn't it?)
Click Shading tab
click on the Foreground color dropdown and change foreground colour to whatever you want - black? Automatic is not a good choice.
Click OK
click OK
click OK
Click Save As and save with a new name
Now apply the new theme to your pages.

I will also post this response to the forum, since newsgroups are disappearing on a daily basis.
--
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
> Thanks much, for that diagnosis. The next 
> question is how do I modify the theme to make 
> the text non-transparent? Should I attempt 
> modifying the theme attributes for this page 
> only or globally throughout the site? And 
> another question - if the problem lies with the 
> theme (please do not read this as doubting your 
> analysis), why is it that the other pages 
> display just fine?

> Thanks for your help


> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
> news:OCx6%230NBLHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> IE gets it wrong - the text should not be 
>> visible in any browser.
>>
>> The theme defines the colour of text in 
>> tables as transparent - this effectively 
>> means the same colour as the background. 
>> Where you have text showing it is because 
>> text colour is defined, either in a font tag, 
>> or the text is in a html tag that has a 
>> coloutr defined (<a href=... for example).
>> The fix is to modify the theme so that all 
>> text (paragraphs etc) has a defined colour.
>> --
>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for 
>> details of why and where to go see
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>
>>
>> Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
>>> Here is a sample page:
>>> http://tinyurl.com/2afw3su
>>
>>> The first sentence appears when viewed in 
>>> IE,
>>> but not in other browsers! This happens to 
>>> all
>>> new pages created from scratch, but old 
>>> pages
>>> seem to work fine.
>>
>>> If I remove the shared border, pages display
>>> just fine.
>>
>>> What could this be due to and how can it be
>>> fixed?
>>
>>
>>> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in 
>>> message
>>> news:ePJR7cIBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>> Cannot answer the question without seeing 
>>>> the
>>>> pages - please supply a link to the page.
>>>>
>>>> Shared borders are design time components,
>>>> rendered as tables in the finished page.
>>>> There is no reason why shared borders can 
>>>> be
>>>> responsible for the behaviour you are 
>>>> seeing.
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression 
>>>> Web)
>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>>> details of why and where to go see
>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
>>>>> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an
>>>>> existing site (which uses shared borders 
>>>>> by
>>>>> default), any text that is entered on the
>>>>> new
>>>>> page shows properly on IE8, but does not
>>>>> appear
>>>>> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If 
>>>>> I
>>>>> change the formatting and deactivate the
>>>>> shared
>>>>> border for that page, the text appears 
>>>>> just
>>>>> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.
>>>>
>>>>> The existing pages on the site (using 
>>>>> shared
>>>>> borders) display just fine on Firefox /
>>>>> Chrome
>>>>> / Opera etc.
>>>>
>>>>> What could be responsible for this strange
>>>>> behaviour and how can it be fixed?
>>>>
>>>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression
>>>> Web)
>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>>> details
>>>> of why and where to go see
>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>>
>>>>
>>
>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression 
>> Web)
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for 
>> details
>> of why and where to go see
>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>
>> 

-- 
Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details 
of why and where to go see
http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx


0
Ronx
6/5/2010 7:39:51 PM
Again, THANK YOU!


"Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message 
news:OueulbOBLHA.1892@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>I checked your Home page and Australia.htm
> Australia.htm has font colours defined for all text, the Home page has the 
> same problem as the mystery.htm.  I have not looked at any others.
>
> To modify the theme:
> Open the website and a page
> Format->Theme
> Choose the theme and click the down arrow on the thumbnail, choose 
> Customize
> Click Text
> Click 2More text styles in the left column
> In the Styles column, scroll down to Table and select it (near the bottom 
> of the list)
> Click Modify
> Click Format
> Click Borders from the dropdown (intuitive, this - isn't it?)
> Click Shading tab
> click on the Foreground color dropdown and change foreground colour to 
> whatever you want - black? Automatic is not a good choice.
> Click OK
> click OK
> click OK
> Click Save As and save with a new name
> Now apply the new theme to your pages.
>
> I will also post this response to the forum, since newsgroups are 
> disappearing on a daily basis.
> --
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details of why and where to go 
> see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
>
> Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
>> Thanks much, for that diagnosis. The next
>> question is how do I modify the theme to make
>> the text non-transparent? Should I attempt
>> modifying the theme attributes for this page
>> only or globally throughout the site? And
>> another question - if the problem lies with the
>> theme (please do not read this as doubting your
>> analysis), why is it that the other pages
>> display just fine?
>
>> Thanks for your help
>
>
>> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:OCx6%230NBLHA.4388@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>> IE gets it wrong - the text should not be
>>> visible in any browser.
>>>
>>> The theme defines the colour of text in
>>> tables as transparent - this effectively
>>> means the same colour as the background.
>>> Where you have text showing it is because
>>> text colour is defined, either in a font tag,
>>> or the text is in a html tag that has a
>>> coloutr defined (<a href=... for example).
>>> The fix is to modify the theme so that all
>>> text (paragraphs etc) has a defined colour.
>>> --
>>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>> details of why and where to go see
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>
>>>
>>> Blake Kaos laid this down on his screen :
>>>> Here is a sample page:
>>>> http://tinyurl.com/2afw3su
>>>
>>>> The first sentence appears when viewed in
>>>> IE,
>>>> but not in other browsers! This happens to
>>>> all
>>>> new pages created from scratch, but old
>>>> pages
>>>> seem to work fine.
>>>
>>>> If I remove the shared border, pages display
>>>> just fine.
>>>
>>>> What could this be due to and how can it be
>>>> fixed?
>>>
>>>
>>>> "Ronx" <ronx917@hotmail.com> wrote in
>>>> message
>>>> news:ePJR7cIBLHA.4308@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>>>>> Cannot answer the question without seeing
>>>>> the
>>>>> pages - please supply a link to the page.
>>>>>
>>>>> Shared borders are design time components,
>>>>> rendered as tables in the finished page.
>>>>> There is no reason why shared borders can
>>>>> be
>>>>> responsible for the behaviour you are
>>>>> seeing.
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression
>>>>> Web)
>>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>>>> details of why and where to go see
>>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Blake Kaos wrote on 05/06/2010 :
>>>>>> Using FP2003 when I add a new page to an
>>>>>> existing site (which uses shared borders
>>>>>> by
>>>>>> default), any text that is entered on the
>>>>>> new
>>>>>> page shows properly on IE8, but does not
>>>>>> appear
>>>>>> at all on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc. If
>>>>>> I
>>>>>> change the formatting and deactivate the
>>>>>> shared
>>>>>> border for that page, the text appears
>>>>>> just
>>>>>> fine on Firefox / Chrome / Opera etc.
>>>>>
>>>>>> The existing pages on the site (using
>>>>>> shared
>>>>>> borders) display just fine on Firefox /
>>>>>> Chrome
>>>>>> / Opera etc.
>>>>>
>>>>>> What could be responsible for this strange
>>>>>> behaviour and how can it be fixed?
>>>>>
>>>>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression
>>>>> Web)
>>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>>>> details
>>>>> of why and where to go see
>>>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>>> -- Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression
>>> Web)
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
>>> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for
>>> details
>>> of why and where to go see
>>> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>>>
>>>
>
> -- 
> Ron Symonds - Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/wf-menu.aspx
> Microsoft is closing this newsgroup - for details
> of why and where to go see
> http://www.rxs-enterprises.org/fp/newsgroup-closure.aspx
>
> 

0
Blake
6/5/2010 7:47:17 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Money 2002- Strange downloaded transaction
Often when I download transactions from my bank, they have a payee that is one of my Epays, but the real payee is usually another specific vendor. When I look online at my bank transactions, they payee is correct, so therefore money is renaming this for some reason. It is nearly always the wrong vendor associated with this epay I have scheduled in my banking software, not Money, any ideas why? It matched it to another transaction for some reason. Click the 'change' button and match it to the correct transaction, or allow it to create the transaction as a new one. The windo...

Word, Outlook a strange interdependant problem
Hello I have encountered really nasty and difficult bug with Word and Outlook, both versions 2003. I have crossposted this to 3 appropriate groups to get the maximal response in minimal time and annoyiance... ;) I have also tried to harvest the Net with no success. To begin with: a little bit of background: We have just moved to Exchange/Outlook/Office 2003 in our 300+-person oraganisation. Now EXACTLY one of our users has a very determinate problem: When she opens Word and starts typing, the Word dies (as it appears, right after spell checking the text). No text, no problems. Also one can...

Eliminating Blank Cells From Lists on different worksheets
Hi On Chip Pearson’s web page http://www.cpearson.com/excel/noblanks.htm I found this Array formula for Eliminating Blank Cells From Lists: =IF(ROW()-ROW(NoBlanksRange)+3>ROWS(BlanksRange)-COUNTBLANK(BlanksRange),"",INDIRECT(ADDRESS(SMALL((IF(BlanksRange<>"",ROW(BlanksRange),ROW()+ROWS(BlanksRange))),ROW()-ROW(NoBlanksRange)+3),COLUMN(BlanksRange),4))) The formula works great when BlanksRange and NoBlanksRange are on the same worksheet. Unfortunately my BlanksRange and NoBlanksRange are on different worksheets. Both columns have same number of rows and st...

Outlook viewer plugin for IE
Does anyone know of an IE plugin or Active-X control that would allow me to view Outlook Messages in the browser rather than launching a separate Outlook window? thanks. </joel> ...

Convert Contacts to Accounts, Leads, etc.
I understand MS workflow concept of starting with a lead and converting to an opp, contact, account, etc. with the "Convert Lead ..." button. However, MS seems to have ignored the fact that there are millions of Outlook users who have hundreds of millions of contacts in Outlook. We don't want to mass import accounts and contacts and prefer to use the "Track in CRM" button to allow our users to add contacts to CRM from Outlook as needed or as they have time. They are responsible for data cleansing, etc. Therefore, we need "Convert Contact ..." funct...

Compare music files on different drives. WMP11 for XP
I have Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP. I am showing duplicates of most of my albums because I have stupidly put my music on two separate drives. Each drive/folder contains several thousand music albums. Now I want to compare the contents of these two large music folders. Most of the files in the two folders are identical—that is, the same albums, but there is some disparity, and that is what I want to find out, because I want to put all the albums I have on a single drive, then use the other (a portable hard drive) as back up. I don't see a way to do this with WMP, a...

Opening different versions of Publisher w/Pub 2000
I have Pub 2000 version 6. I have a CD with Publisher 2000 documents on it. I cannot open the files as I get the message Publisher cannot open files from a different version. The online help was no help! Open the file and save it in a different version--that would be easy if you could open the file in the first place!! Any suggestions? Would upgrading to 2003 help or would I have the same problem? Hi Effy (Effy@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Pub 2000 version 6. I have a CD with Publisher 2000 || documents on it. I cannot open the files as I ge...

budget account (different than above)
Is it possible to get the budget report to pull in data from non cash accounts? ...

Strange(?) OWA login problems
Sorry for this rather long message - but I feel lost. I have for a long time had the problem that some of my users can not use OWA to log on to the Exchange server. First one user could not logon, then the next until 4 had permanent problems. The logs showed virtually nothing. (The tests below are made on the internal network to make sure there are no routing or firewall issues. I have Win2k (SP4), Ex2k (SP?), IIS5. The server is the domain controller. IIS has 5 domains (none is the 2000 domain). The test were run from an XP Pro with user A logged in to the domain) Today I decided to take a...

Page Numbering & First page Different 2007
Page numbering and controlling the first page is wrong most the time. Is there an alternative by going thru fields and stopping the first page from having a number on it. Word is too capricious, forgets where it is, etc... Hi, Detailed instructions for adding page numbers in Word 2007 are given in http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word/HP012265131033.aspx . If you are placing your page numbers in headers or footers, the section-specific settings that you configure according to those instructions override any switches that you might add to the PAGE field. If you keep this ru...

Running eseutil /d simultaneously in 2 different stores
Hi all! Just wondering if it is possible to run more than one instance of "eseutil /d" simultaneously in 2 (or more) different mailbox stores. Does anyone know if it can be done? Any articles or documentation about it? Thanks for any help Andre Seitz Don't see a problem with that, as long as you have the storage and cpu to support that kind of activity (depending on size of stores.... ). -- Bharat Suneja MCSE, MCT -------------------------------- "Seitz" <seitz@uol.com.br> wrote in message news:Oh2$fhFxFHA.3252@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi all! >...

resource allocation for different query
Dear Experts, Could SQL server allocate resource evenly for each incoming query? Because sometimes when one user perform a long running query (eg. over one hour) , it seems other query were suspended and make its related application timeout/waiting.... Can SQL Server 2008 tune on this ? Thanks. thomas (thomas@mail.com) writes: > Could SQL server allocate resource evenly for each incoming query? > Because sometimes when one user perform a long running query (eg. over > one hour) , it seems other query were suspended and make its related > application timeou...

Outlook won't start because I removed IE
Right. I deleted IE because it had an irremoveable piece of spyware in it, and is probably the worst browser I could have used. However, Outlook isn't all that bad. But now I can't open Outlook, because for no reason at all - it needs IE. All I want to do is export my mail so I can remove these virus invitations. The error message I got is as follows: You need Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.01 or later to use this feature. You can download the latest version of Internet Explorer from http://www.microsoft.com Oh, and I installed IE 6 to try and get it to work, but it doesn't. And...

Use different formula to calculation based on conditions
Hi. It's the look of my Excel file: Item 1----Amount Category---Details: ... Item 2----Amount Category---Details: ... Item 3----Amount Category---Details: ... Item 4----Amount Category---Details: ... As you see: - A1 is the item's name; A2 is the price/amount/cost/value of the item - B1 is the category the item belongs to; B2 is the description of the item. Now I would like to do some math which are the following: 1) If the category type is income, add all of them 2) If the category type is one-off expense, add all of them & put a minus sign in front of the value 3) If the cat...

strange library
Hi can anyone help, when I update my library the albums appear as seperate tracks instead of one album, makes it very dificult to find music. Dont know what to do next, has anyone come across this before. Cheers Reg Do you mean that the tracks of one album are scattered over multiple albums? To fix this, you need to give all these tracks the same value for Album Title and Album Artist. Regards -- Tim De Baets http://www.bm-productions.tk reg wrote: > Hi can anyone help, when I update my library the albums appear as seperate > tracks instead of one album, makes it ve...

Strange problem
I keep getting "System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP status 401: Unauthorized" when I try to access Reports and Organizational Unit Settings from Web client. When I access these features from browser installed on CRM server everything works fine, but when I try same features on any other browser this error pops up. What can be wrong? Hello Damir, Exactly the same problem here - were you able to solve it ? Regards, Mav. "damir" wrote: > I keep getting "System.Net.WebException: The request failed with HTTP > status 401: Unauthorized&quo...

workdays difference
i hv two different dates, start and end, in different columns. i like to count no of days between them, but excluding weekends (sat, sun) or public holiday. any suggestion? Try the "networkdays" function. It uses a start date, end date and can also use a range of dates denoting holidays so you can exclude those days as well. "Soe" <soenandar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:#fv5HgERDHA.560@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > i hv two different dates, start and end, in different columns. > i like to count no of days between them, but excluding weekends (sat, sun) >...

same mailbox in different address book views
Hi I got a organization with 50 diff location on a exchange 5.5. each location has its own container in address book view (custom attribue). If I have users that works in more than one location how do I make thoose people appear in address book view for alll the locations they work in? [Edit] It should be like if you could add more than 1 custom attribute for every custom attribute field. [/Edit] ...

OWA 2003 Premium and Basic...is there a difference?
Hello all Ok here goes. I am running a WIN 2000 Server with SP4 I have Exchange 2003 loaded which was an upgrade from Exchange 5.5. Most everything is working fine. A few gremlins here and there but no show stoppers. I have created, and applied my Web Server certificate and am able to use HTTPS when going to domain.com/exchange I get the new OWA logon screen. I enter my username and password it the correct format and can logon to OWA 2003 Premium interface with no problems. When I try to log on to the Basic Client I get the same Premium interface. I was told that when you logon to OWA 2003...

VBA to find difference in cell locations
Is it possible to find the difference between cell locations. Such as if I am on cell E1 and pick another cell H1, I would like to know the difference between the locations. In this case there are 2 cells between E1 and H1. I am writting a code that needs to know the difference between the cell location, I just don't know what the VBA looks like for something like this. Thanks You don't need VBA for this. You could use: =column(h1)-column(e1) and if you wanted the row difference: =row(h1)-row(e1) If you wanted to ignore the end points, you could just subtract 1...

Mapping an xml schema to a different dataset schema
Hello everyone, I have just started to use Xml in .net so excuse me if this is a simple question. I have an Xml docuement that contains data in the following format: - <SearchResult xmlns="http://tempuri.org/XMLFile1.xsd"> <QueryInformation> <ActualQueryString /> <TotalResults /> <ResultsPerPage /> <SearchTime /> <StoppedWords /> <TheasurusWords /> <StemmedWords /> <SortMethod /> <Messages /> </QueryInformation> <Results id=...

Finding a value in several different columns
Sorry if this is a really easy question, but I'm still learning when it comes to Access 2003's capabilities. I have a table from which I want to create either a report or a query to show the record number (primary key) of all instances where the value "1" occurs in field A OR field B OR field C, followed by all instances of "2" then "3" and so on. I'd imagine it's an easy thing to do for an experienced user, but I'm a novice, so any help would be appreciated. Hi Nick, Interesting question. Here is one way to do it. Create a ta...

error message when browsing ie
hi! i have a problem with this error message: windows internet explorer cannot find "http:// and sights written " make sure the path or internet address is correct. it shows every time when i open internet explorer and try to search.and it keeps opening another window with this message and another... and when i press "OK" or "X" it opens another internet explorer homepage. please help me to safe this annoying problem thanks Always state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista 64-bit SP2; Win7 RC; Win7) when posting...

Display different command buttons if...
Hello! I have many data to append in different dates, but only one time for year, and many data to append hour to hour. I think to make two distinct tables to append different frequency data. T_HourData and T_YearData. I think to make a Form where I would like to display one command button (to run HourAppendquery) only through different field condition. Ex: If HourData=YES, display command button in Form (to run HourAppendquery). If HourData=NO, don't display this command button and display another command button (to run YearAppendquery). I don't know if is it possible in Acces...

I am getting all kinds of delivery failures etc from emails I did not send
Help! I am getting TONS of delivery failure notices of different kinds from random (mostly overseas) emails accounts. These apparently were sent from xxxxx@mydomain.com where xxx is random emailnames and then attached to my domain. I can not disable the "catchall" feature of my server, as I do use alot of different account names for my normal emails. What is going on? How can I "trap" all of these bogus email? How can I stop this from occuring. I do not see any outgoing messages to these addresses in my sent folder I have OL 2007 and Mcafee Thanks Probably someone ...