How do I tell if Frontpage was used to design a website?

The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what they
did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know that
I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes to
the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?
frontpage.client 522 articles. 0 followers. Follow

To see if your website is designed in FrontPage a Link to your website will
help us.

CoffeeCup.com Say::
Visual Site Designer is a WYSIWYG Website creator and editor that helps you
make WebPages with no experience or HTML knowledge. Just drag and drop
images or text on the page until you like what you see, and then upload it
to your Website.

But all website editors, all say that to get you too buy....there editor

"PJK1954" <PJK1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what
> they
> did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know
> that
> I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes
> the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?

0
Hot
11/27/2009 6:58:51 PM

"Hot-text" <hot-text@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To see if your website is designed in FrontPage a Link to your website
> will help us.
>

> CoffeeCup.com Say::
> Visual Site Designer is a WYSIWYG Website creator and editor that helps
> you make WebPages with no experience or HTML knowledge. Just drag and drop
> images or text on the page until you like what you see, and then upload it
> to your Website.
>
> But all website editors, all say that to get you too buy....there editor
>

> "PJK1954" <PJK1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what
>> they
>> did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know
>> that
>> I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make
>> changes to
>> the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?

You don't need to convert a FP website - you would just open it in whatever
HTML editor you want to use.  Usually in FrontPage, it inserts a meta tag
that identifies what it was created in - something like "Generator=FrontPage
X.X"  where X.X is the version number.  The only other way is to identify a
"FrontPage Site" is the "bad" or non-standards compliant code (by today's
coding standards anyway) FP produces, lack of a DocType declaration etc.

E.g. for something simple, I suppose you would use something like CoffeeCup
HTML Editor, or something more advanced, Dreamweaver or Expression Web.  The
last two would definitely require a knowledge of HTML and CSS to make full
use of these.

You could try others like the CoffeeCup HTML Editor or there are many free
tools out there, all varying in usability and quality.

Dreamweaver, Visual Studio (or Visual Web Developer Express), Expression Web
seem to be the forerunners in professional development tools.  These may
help you put together a site quickly, but their capability is really limited
by *your* ability to understand how HTML and CSS works, essentially.

I assume your website is a personal site, rather than business site?  Can
you provide a link to the site - it might shed some insight on to whether
this was done in FrontPage or not.

0
Andrew
11/27/2009 10:34:58 PM
To determine what was used to create the page, in the Firefox browser, you'd
look at the page and then go to View/ Page Source.... and look in the first
few lines and somewhere it will list "generator.... FrontPage".
If not FP, there will be a hint somewhere as to what created it.

As to the second part of your question, it depends on your skill level.
If you do know HTML and CSS code, or are willing to learn it, there are many
choices... including MS ExpressionWeb (the replacement for FrontPage that is
less user friendly for non-coding people).

If you do not know code or want to learn code and want to stick with
basically a "visual website designer" (as you said), there's no replacement
for and nothing better than FrontPage. The 'code is non-compliant' as the
coders will be quick to tell you (do you care?), but it's user friendly,
still available on Amazon, and the FrontPage Extensions will continue to be
supported by many hosting companies for years to come.

"PJK1954" wrote:

> The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what they
> did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know that
> I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes to
> the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?
If the site uses FrontPage navigation bars then it was a FrontPAge site -
otherwise, if the markup contains webbots  it could have been produced by
Office (Word, Publisher etc.) or Expression Web.  If there are no webbots
then the site could have been produced by any editor, including FrontPage.

FrontPage can produce webbot free, standards compliant markup - it depends
on the skill level of the user.
The generator meta tags are an option in FP2003, and can be removed easily
from pages built with other versions - so the lack of these are not a guide.

Expression Web will open any website, no matter what the original editor
was.  The only caveat is if the original was Dreamweaver, and the site uses
the latest DWTs.
--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

"PJK1954" <PJK1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what
> they
> did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know
> that
> I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes
> the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?

0
Ronx
11/28/2009 10:30:30 AM
"PJK1954" <PJK1954@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The developers of my website are long gone and I know nothing about what
> they
> did.  I think it was deisgned in Frontpage, bit am not sure. Once I know
> that
> I would like to "convert" it to something that would allow me make changes
> the site easily...maybe a visual website designer..is there such a thing?

What is the link to your website? It would be easier for you for one of us
to take a look and tell you rather than you having to know things you don't
really need to know (as regarding bots)... it will probabably be a good idea
for you to make a new template anyway and keep your content...that way it
will help you learn more about the things you do need to know.

Yes .. it called Expression Web and there is a 60 day trial

Upgrade to Expression Web 3.0
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Upgrade.aspx

Trial of Expression Web 3.0
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/try-it/Default.aspx?filter=web3

Overview demos and starter kits
http://www.microsoft.com/expression/products/Web_Overview.aspx#tabs-3

Tina
Expression Web Birthday Giveaway 20th - 30th Nov
http://www.frontpage-to-expression.com/expression-web-giveaway.html
ENDS TODAY 30TH NOV

0
Tina