Winmail.dat problem with SBS 2003..and yes i have read the other wiinmail posts

Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the
outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5.  Well
I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not
send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i
converting into a winmail.dat.  I have tryed everyhting I can think of.
 I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain
text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I
have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the
setting on exchange to allow the user to choose which format to send
in, but I can't seem to find the setting again, I tryed to find info
but everything tells me its in the imc but the imc is not in 2003, so
anyone know where to look for this setting in 2003 ?  I am alomst
positive that I already checked this setting.  But since this only
happens to one user I am assuming it has to be something with outlook,
but I have reinstalled and matched all settings from another users
outlook that works ?  Any Ideas ?

Trevor

0
trevor1615 (12)

Trevor,
two ideas:

- Antivirus Software is blocking TNEF
- user is sending to an Active Directory contact -> Exchange Advanced "User
Mapi Richtext Format" (edit Contact Object in AD)

HTH
Andy

from the net: What is TNEF
Those attachments contain Microsoft Exchange's rich text information,
encoding attributes of the message such as boldface, underlining, fonts, and
colors. Exchange/Internet Mail puts these attributes into an attachment so
that they can appear to other Exchange users on the Internet. The problem
arises when people not using Exchange receive these attachments: instead of
seeing a formatted message, they see a big chunk of UUENCODE data named
WINMAIL.DAT, or a section application/ms-tnef if you're using MIME (which is
what Communicator uses). These attachments contain only formatting and are
not important to the message itself.

For communicating with users of other clients, Exchange contains an option
to suppress sending rich text information when mailing them. You may want to
contact the person who sends these attachments, and ask them to turn these
off for messages sent to you. To do this, they need to double-click on your
address and uncheck the box labelled "Send to this recipient in Microsoft
rich text format."

"logicsound" <trevor@groupcci.com> wrote in message
> Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the
> outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5.  Well
> I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not
> send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i
> converting into a winmail.dat.  I have tryed everyhting I can think of.
> I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain
> text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I
> have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the
> setting on exchange to allow the user to choose which format to send
> in, but I can't seem to find the setting again, I tryed to find info
> but everything tells me its in the imc but the imc is not in 2003, so
> anyone know where to look for this setting in 2003 ?  I am alomst
> positive that I already checked this setting.  But since this only
> happens to one user I am assuming it has to be something with outlook,
> but I have reinstalled and matched all settings from another users
> outlook that works ?  Any Ideas ?
>
> Trevor

0
andy.rath (135)
6/19/2006 3:16:51 PM
Andy Rath wrote:
> Trevor,
> two ideas:
>
> - Antivirus Software is blocking TNEF
> - user is sending to an Active Directory contact -> Exchange Advanced "User
> Mapi Richtext Format" (edit Contact Object in AD)
>
> HTH
> Andy
>
> from the net: What is TNEF
> Those attachments contain Microsoft Exchange's rich text information,
> encoding attributes of the message such as boldface, underlining, fonts, and
> colors. Exchange/Internet Mail puts these attributes into an attachment so
> that they can appear to other Exchange users on the Internet. The problem
> arises when people not using Exchange receive these attachments: instead of
> seeing a formatted message, they see a big chunk of UUENCODE data named
> WINMAIL.DAT, or a section application/ms-tnef if you're using MIME (which is
> what Communicator uses). These attachments contain only formatting and are
> not important to the message itself.
>
> For communicating with users of other clients, Exchange contains an option
> to suppress sending rich text information when mailing them. You may want to
> contact the person who sends these attachments, and ask them to turn these
> off for messages sent to you. To do this, they need to double-click on your
> address and uncheck the box labelled "Send to this recipient in Microsoft
> rich text format."

Confused ? are you thinking that there antivirus is blocking it ?  I am
the one sending the file that is getting converted to winmail at there
server.

> "logicsound" <trevor@groupcci.com> wrote in message
> > Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the
> > outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5.  Well
> > I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not
> > send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i
> > converting into a winmail.dat.  I have tryed everyhting I can think of.
> > I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain
> > text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I
> > have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the
> > setting on exchange to allow the user to choose which format to send
> > in, but I can't seem to find the setting again, I tryed to find info
> > but everything tells me its in the imc but the imc is not in 2003, so
> > anyone know where to look for this setting in 2003 ?  I am alomst
> > positive that I already checked this setting.  But since this only
> > happens to one user I am assuming it has to be something with outlook,
> > but I have reinstalled and matched all settings from another users
> > outlook that works ?  Any Ideas ?
> >
> > Trevor

0
trevor1615 (12)
6/19/2006 3:33:18 PM

> Confused ? are you thinking that there antivirus is blocking it ?  I am
> the one sending the file that is getting converted to winmail at there
> server.

it _could_ be a reason. I "tried" this here - if TNEF is blocked exactly
this happens.

Have you tried to send this mail to another user (Webmailaccount...) to
figure out on which side it happens?

Do you send this mail to an external user?

Andy

>> "logicsound" <trevor@groupcci.com> wrote in message
>> > Ok, so I have read thru all the winmail.dat posts in this group and the
>> > outlook group, problem is most of them are geared towards ex 5.5.  Well
>> > I have sbs 2003 and I have one user in my entire company that can not
>> > send a excell spreadsheet to one recp. without outlook 2003 i
>> > converting into a winmail.dat.  I have tryed everyhting I can think of.
>> > I reinstalled outlook. I have sett all the options to send as plain
>> > text globally and for that contact that gets the winmail.dat files. I
>> > have been working on this for a while, but I do believe I checked the
>> > setting on exchange to allow the user to choose which format to send
>> > in, but I can't seem to find the setting again, I tryed to find info
>> > but everything tells me its in the imc but the imc is not in 2003, so
>> > anyone know where to look for this setting in 2003 ?  I am alomst
>> > positive that I already checked this setting.  But since this only
>> > happens to one user I am assuming it has to be something with outlook,
>> > but I have reinstalled and matched all settings from another users
>> > outlook that works ?  Any Ideas ?
>> >
>> > Trevor

0
andy.rath (135)
6/19/2006 3:42:00 PM
This email goes to a external email that uses lotus for there email. My
user can send the file to me and it works fine (it should because I use
outlook too) The main problem is that all my other users have no
problem sending the file.  So to sum up everything.  I have a user that
send a email with a excel spreadsheet to a external client email that
uses lotus and they receive a winmail.dat file. If my user sends the
file to me it works fine also any other user can send the excel
spreadsheet to the client that uses lotus fine. Do you know where the
setting on exchnge 2003 is where I can choose the option to always send
plain text ? I have checked global settings / internet mesage format
properties but it is not there.
Andy Rath wrote:
> > Confused ? are you thinking that there antivirus is blocking it ?  I am
> > the one sending the file that is getting converted to winmail at there
> > server.
>
> it _could_ be a reason. I "tried" this here - if TNEF is blocked exactly
> this happens.
>
> Have you tried to send this mail to another user (Webmailaccount...) to
> figure out on which side it happens?
>
> Do you send this mail to an external user?
>
> Andy
>

> >> "logicsound" <trevor@groupcci.com> wrote in message

0
trevor1615 (12)
6/19/2006 4:00:09 PM
Hey logicsound - did you ever figure this out.  I'm having the same problem.

"logicsound" wrote:

> This email goes to a external email that uses lotus for there email. My
> user can send the file to me and it works fine (it should because I use
> outlook too) The main problem is that all my other users have no
> problem sending the file.  So to sum up everything.  I have a user that
> send a email with a excel spreadsheet to a external client email that
> uses lotus and they receive a winmail.dat file. If my user sends the
> file to me it works fine also any other user can send the excel
> spreadsheet to the client that uses lotus fine. Do you know where the
> setting on exchnge 2003 is where I can choose the option to always send
> plain text ? I have checked global settings / internet mesage format
> properties but it is not there.
> Andy Rath wrote:
> > > Confused ? are you thinking that there antivirus is blocking it ?  I am
> > > the one sending the file that is getting converted to winmail at there
> > > server.
> >
> > it _could_ be a reason. I "tried" this here - if TNEF is blocked exactly
> > this happens.
> >
> > Have you tried to send this mail to another user (Webmailaccount...) to
> > figure out on which side it happens?
> >
> > Do you send this mail to an external user?
> >
> > Andy

0
Becky (52)
8/22/2006 7:23:02 PM
Try this. I'm assuming your user has gone to Outlook, Tools, Options,
Mail Format and chosen Plain Text, but still sends out as Rich Text.
Verify if your user who is sending to this external contact is in his
local contacts. If it exist in his local contacts, double click the
contact. Locate where the email is configured and double click it. From
there, choose Internet Format plain text.

James Chong
MCSE M+, S+, MCTS, Security+
msexchangetips.blogspot.com

0