Windows defrag on exchange partition.

Hello,
I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile doing
a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?

thanks in advance...
0
Simon1639 (233)

In my experence with 2k3, i havnt had any probelms.  supprisingly but no real
problems.  i think its because (on my test box now) i have everything on one
40 gig logical drive (c:) with no RAID.  Now, note:  RAID may not play nice,
i wouldnt try it on RAID until someone else who has done it says so...

enjoy...

Anthony

"Simon" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile doing
> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>
> thanks in advance...
0
WebNet (9)
7/26/2005 8:44:03 AM
It is not recomended becaues of the I/O this process can generate.
The following Exchange Server team blog recomends moving the information
store to another drive then performing a file level degrag them move the
Information store back.

http://blogs.technet.com/exchange/archive/2004/10/25/247342.aspx

Regards
--
Ben Hoffman
MCP (Win2000 Pro/Server & Exchange 2003 Admin)

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile
> doing
> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>
> thanks in advance...

0
ben.hoffman (411)
7/26/2005 8:52:44 AM
It's not worthwhile to do file-system defrag - access to the data is random,
which defeats the idea of having contig files.

Simon wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile doing
> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>
> thanks in advance...

0
kpalagin (1838)
7/26/2005 8:57:36 AM
From what I've read it's not considered to be a good idea. Exchange
automatically defrags the data stores. If you do a file level/OS defrag, it
messes up the optimization done by Exchange. I've seen the same advice as
Ben gives. If you *HAVE* to do a defrag, then stop Exchange services, move
the data stores, defrag, move them back and re-start the services.....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello,
> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile
> doing
> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>
> thanks in advance...

0
rasilon1 (689)
7/26/2005 9:24:41 AM
I have a dell server raid 5, windows 2003,exchange 2003,and its also a domain
controller(small company)with 2 partitions C;D. Exchange is on D.The C
partition was 11% fragmented and D was 47% percent fragmented. I dismounted
the stores and stop the IS service and defraged both partitions. Everything
is working fine. I did have a backup before I started

"Simon" wrote:

> Hello,
> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile doing
> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>
> thanks in advance...
0
KRJ (2)
8/3/2005 5:08:04 PM
Recommendations I've seen are to move the stores, do the defrag, move them
back and mount them. Everything will "work", but likely slower.... It's not
supposed to be a good idea to defrag the data store files themselves....

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold

"KRJ" <KRJ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a dell server raid 5, windows 2003,exchange 2003,and its also a
>domain
> controller(small company)with 2 partitions C;D. Exchange is on D.The C
> partition was 11% fragmented and D was 47% percent fragmented. I
> dismounted
> the stores and stop the IS service and defraged both partitions.
> Everything
> is working fine. I did have a backup before I started
>
> "Simon" wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>> I am running win 2003 with exchange 2003. Is it safe and/or worthwhile
>> doing
>> a defrag on the partition that the exchange databases are located?
>>
>> thanks in advance...

0
rasilon1 (689)

Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out"
When using Outlook 2003 & Windows 2003 Terminal services the option for Use Cached Exchange Mode is "greyed out" even logged in as Administrator. Any Help Thanks Bill I don't believe it works on TS. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] http://www.poremsky.com - http://www.cdolive.com Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Expert Zone http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone Search for answers: http://groups.google.com Most recent posts to the Outlook newsgroups: http://groups.google.com/groups?as_ugroup=microsoft.public.outlook.*&num=30 "RX Bill"...

Purchasing Lead Time-Item Resource Planning window
Looking at the purchasing lead time and the manufacturing lead time on the item resource planning window. We have to enter the qty in number of days, can anyone clarify if 5 days equals one week or if 7 days equals one week? (basically does Dynamics count weekend and shutdown days in this number.) V10 of Dynamics GP Thanks! -- Doug Doug, If I'm not wrong you have to put 7 days so that GP considers the shut down days accordingly. Just test it out first before setting it up. -- Thanks Janakiram M.P. MCP-GP Note: If you are a Microsoft Partner, You can also Login to Dynamics GP ...

Exchange 2003 & GFI Faxmaker 10 ???
Hello everybody! We have Exchange 2003 with Win 2003 Domain... We're thinking of installing GFI's Faxmaker 10 in another server (split installation) which will extend the Active Directory Schema (I think it adds a tab, doesn't it? )and we're deeply concerned whether it'll create any kind of problem... Has anybody out there done this ? Must inform that we have GFI MailSecurity 8 installed in VS API mode and no problems encountered so far... I'd really appreciate your answers... Nikos I can tell you from experience that the GFI product isn't that great of a solu...

How do I control where the new message window appears?
Whenever I create a new message the associated window appears with the maximise button off of my desktop. How do I change the default position of the new message window such that all of it is visible on my desktop? Resize and position it accordingly and hold CTRL when press the X to close the window. This should force storing the location and size of the window in the registry. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, R...

Opening excel file in new window
When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it opens in the same window. How do I make it open in a new window? You can't. Excel has two windows only; Excel and the VB editor. You may be able to open another instance of Excel though, with some Windows trick or by code. But that is spending a lot of power just for an extra window. HTH. best wishes Harald "Ravi" <Ravi@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:B53F2A94-CE10-41F7-A3B0-D472317D527C@microsoft.com... > When an excel is already open in a window and I open a new excel file it ...

kernel mode cryptographic services on Windows 7
Could someone please point me to a link decribing kernel mode cryptographic services on Windows 7? Basically all I need to do is create a sha1 hash of some data. I am aware of this link discussing fips.sys on earlier versions of Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc750356.aspx. But I thought that wasn't supported. I also see the BCrypt* functions. But that seems to be encryption. Thanks in advance if anyone can help. Regards, George. Oh. Maybe I can use BCrypt: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa375534(v=VS.85).aspx. Thanks anyw...

Exchange Email Size Limit
Hi, I'm trying to send an email that is 26MB in size and configure Exchange 2003 SP2 to allow it. Each time I try and send the email I receive the following undeliverable; "Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: something The following recipient(s) could not be reached: something@something.com on 29/11/2005 11:54 This message is larger than the current system limit or the recipient's mailbox is full. Create a shorter message body or remove attachments and try sending it again. <Server.domain ...

Chinese computers connecting to Exchange 5.5
Hi, We're trying to get some people in a new Chinese office connected to our Exchange 5.5 SP4 server running on NT 4 via a VPN. They are using Windows XP and Outlook 2003, as we are. When they try to create a MAPI profile, it just times out after forty five seconds when Check Name is clicked. Our firewall shows the RPC and TCP high port connections are occurring. The security event log does show a successful logon. When they try to connect by Outlook Express and POP3, they get a message of "There is no such mailbox on this server" when there definitely is. They are able to u...

windows mail
good morning, I have a problem: when I open an attachment to a message, I get either a message saying that there is no software able to open that file (*.pdf) or It opens in a program which is not the one I want (*.tif) I have checked the table where all these connections are set up, but there it says that pdf files should open in Acrobat reader, forinstance. Can anybody tell me what I shoukd do? yours robert hirschel Do you have a PDF reader? If not, you need either of these. Foxit Reader: http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/ Adobe Reader http://get.adobe.com/reader...

Installing Service Packs on Exchange Server 2003
Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end servers. Have not installed any service packs on these systems yet. Just got OK from change control board to install these. Just wanted to know what would be the best process to install these ? Do I need to go to SP1 first then SP2 or does SP2 contain SP1 updates as well? Do I do the front end server first? Thanks! On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:58:02 -0700, D303M <D303M@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Have one Exchange 2003 front End server and two Exchange 2003 back end >servers. Have not installed any s...

Outlook 2000 unable to connect to Exchange 2003 mailbox
I've just moved over 2500 users from Ex2K servers to Ex2K3. At the same time I also changed the Directory Access servers to use specific DCs and GCs, rather than leaving it set to automatic. The day after moving the mailboxes all was fine...but after a couple of days users report problems when accessing their mailboxes. When the open Outlook and choose 'Connect' Outlook freezes. When they open Outlook in Offline mode and hit Send and Receive it gets to the Retrieving mail stage before again freezing. I've since returned Directory Access to Automatic and the only way I&...

Optimize Exchange 2003 for large mail loads
We have exchange 2003 on a windows 2000 machine configured with basic default settings. It is in a domain setting and we have people that use outlook to pull mail from the server. These individuals receive about 1000 mails a day. When gone to lunch, there are about 2-3 hundred mails when they return. The problem we have is when they log back on and try to pull mail from the exchange. The outlook crashes. When they pull smaller groups of mail through out the day, they are fine. There are only 4 people here that receive mail like this and we've up the memory on the computers...

Deleted Exchange accounts reappear #2
We have an infrequent issue where Exchange 2000 and 2003 mailboxes sometimes reappear after being deleted. (Some of the users accounts are NT based, and some are AD.) Has anyone else experienced this? If so, is there a remedy. ...

Exchange IMF
We have recently installed the Exchange Intelligent Message Filter onto our SBS2003 server. It appears to be correctly removing messages when they exceed the Gateway Blocking limit (which we have set to 8) and moving the emails to my specified file system folder. Unfortunately, messages which exceed the Store Junk email limit (which we have set to 2) are not being moved to users' Junk Email folders. What might be causing this? I have monitored the SCLs being assigned to these emails using Performance Counters and they are definitely exceeding the Store Junk email limit but are st...

Office 2000 & 2007 in Windows 7
Hi, Can anyone confirm that Office 2000 is fully compatible with Windows 7? Can we install Office 2000 and Office 2007 together in the same computer? Thanks in advance, Garu Yes, on both counts. But in respect of the latter, see the NoRereg section of the following page of fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website: http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Garu" <garrys@brunet.bn> wrote in me...

Windows CE Embedded Live Chat Transcript
Just wanted to let you know that in case you missed the Windows CE Embedded Live Chat yesterday you can find the transcript here: http://discovertheexperience.blogspot.com/2010/04/windows-ce-live-chat-transcript-april.html So long and thanks for all the fish! Damian ...

Receiving window's change color event
In my MFC app, how do I receive the windows' change color event? For example, the color scheme has changed from normal to silver, how do my app receive such notification? "Charles Tam" <CharlesTam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:52E0421D-B893-4DCC-97E6-42F91EDE017C@microsoft.com... > In my MFC app, how do I receive the windows' change color event? > For example, the color scheme has changed from normal to silver, how do my > app receive such notification? Maybe WM_SYSCOLORCHANGE is wha you're looking for http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us...

can i user exchange 2007 client acc & 2003 mailbox?
i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access and leave my mailbox on exchange 2003.would i be able to use new owa? No, clients will see the OWA 2003 (or OWA 2000 if the mailbox sits on an Exchange 2000 mailbox server). -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "sham" <shamun@mekorot.co.il> wrote in message news:envBPoGJHHA.2236@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >i have exchange 2003.i would like to install exchange 2007 client access >and > le...

Windows Media Player 11 01-15-10
Why, when I try to adjust my color and contrast on WMP 11 does it return to the middle. As in I cant adjust any color settings for the vid. It's too dark to enjoy. Color & contrast do not adjust a dark screen,brightness would do that,usually that adjustment would be on the monitor.Also,if youre trying to view videos, using video & audio require alot of the system components (memory),adding more ram memory and/or a better video card will eliminate the problem(s). "bearrabbit69" wrote: > Why, when I try to adjust my color and contrast on WMP 11 does i...

DPM 2007 SP1: Windows Server 2008 R2: Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues
Hi, I'm experiencing "Could not connect to SQL Server Reporting Server because of IIS Connectivity issues" and checked the wildcard script mappong permission for ISAPI Extentions in IIS 7: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb795696.aspx Actually in my Windows Server 2008 R2 this was already ok But still it does not work. Did anybody get this to run? Thanks, Adrian Adrian Miller ...

Exchange / outlook public folders and DST
Hi, I have MS exchange server 2003 and XP SP 2 fully patched. DST tested ok but for some reasons, appointments in the public folders are still 1 hour off. Your help is appreciated...(EST Time). Thanx You need to run the rebasing tools against Public Folders that contain Calendar items (type IPM.Appointment). You can do this using the patched Time Zone Data Update Tool for Microsoft Office Outlook (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=933146), or using the Exchange Calendar Update Tool v2 with the patched Outlook tool (when bulk rebasing appointments by an admin). The following post on t...

IE8 Windows Live Tool Bar
When opening the IE8 / Windows XP SP3, the connection is made but IE closes after a second or two. Disabling 'add-on' Windows Live Tool Bar fixed the problem. Doh! zetz wrote: > When opening the IE8 / Windows XP SP3, the connection is made but IE > closes > after a second or two. Disabling 'add-on' Windows Live Tool Bar fixed the > problem. Hi, The Windows Live Toolbar should certainly be compatible with IE8 on XP SP3. Try uninstalling then reinstalling the Live Toolbar. If that doesn't resolve the issue, you might try disabling individua...

Share point installation on windows server 2008 R2
I have registered for MS partnership programs and gat the setup CD for Windows Server 2008 R2 and installed it. I have even the sharepoint Installation cd 64-bit. When I tried to install the sharepoint server I got the exception as there are compatibility issues. I have also searched for a solution on microsoft site and I was told that I should install WSS3.0. I have downloaded it and installed. After installation, the sharepoint server also got installed and when I try to add any new document under shared Documents section, I am getting an exception. Would any one help me in ...

outlook to exchange tracking
Hi All, I have an outlook client that is sending strange messages through the server. I need to track down what the client IP is or what user account is being used to send these messages. Is there a way to track activity between outlook and the exchange server? ...

Reinstalling Windows 7
I have win 7 running ... well, crawling... on a new quad core computer (it really started its slow-down after installing Office 2007). Its so sluggish that I've decided to do a fresh reinstall. Drive C is partitioned and the second partition (F) carries all my data. Its backed up, but I'd like, if possible to format C without interfering with F, reinstalling Win 7 on C. Is that possible? I have the original install disk, and I particularly want to start off from scrathj with a formatted C. How sluggish is my pc? Well, even with just 3 or 4 worksheets opened and no...