Will Exchange 5.5 run on Server 2003

I have seen notes that Exchange 5.5 will run on Server 2K, but what about
2003?  I am in the process of Migrating from an NT 4.0 domain to an AD
domain.  I don't want to bite off too much at one time so I would like to
reinstall Exchange 5.5 on another machine running server 2k3 and move the
databases.  I do plan on upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2K3 at a
later date, but I want to make sure I can finish the main migration in a
weekend.

So my question...Can you load Exchange 5.5 on Server 2K3 in an AD domain and
more importantly will it work?

Thanks,
0
Joe (497)

No.  It will not install on 2003.  My recommendation would be to install the
new Exchange 2003 server and join it to your existing 5.5 org, then you can
move the mailboxes over from 5.5 to 2003 and retire the 5.5 server.  There
are some great migration documents on the Exchange TechCenter.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/default.mspx

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have seen notes that Exchange 5.5 will run on Server 2K, but what about
> 2003?  I am in the process of Migrating from an NT 4.0 domain to an AD
> domain.  I don't want to bite off too much at one time so I would like to
> reinstall Exchange 5.5 on another machine running server 2k3 and move the
> databases.  I do plan on upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2K3 at a
> later date, but I want to make sure I can finish the main migration in a
> weekend.
>
> So my question...Can you load Exchange 5.5 on Server 2K3 in an AD domain
> and
> more importantly will it work?
>
> Thanks,

0
Ben
1/21/2005 8:27:53 PM
My point here is that I am already tring to Migrate an NT 4.0 domain to an
Server 2K/2K3 domain in a single weekend and I don't think that I will have
enought time to do a migration of a domain as well as a Exchange 5.5 to
Exchange 2K3 migration.  Should I then be aware of any problems installing
Exchange 5.5 on Server 2000?

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> No.  It will not install on 2003.  My recommendation would be to install the
> new Exchange 2003 server and join it to your existing 5.5 org, then you can
> move the mailboxes over from 5.5 to 2003 and retire the 5.5 server.  There
> are some great migration documents on the Exchange TechCenter.
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/default.mspx
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have seen notes that Exchange 5.5 will run on Server 2K, but what about
> > 2003?  I am in the process of Migrating from an NT 4.0 domain to an AD
> > domain.  I don't want to bite off too much at one time so I would like to
> > reinstall Exchange 5.5 on another machine running server 2k3 and move the
> > databases.  I do plan on upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2K3 at a
> > later date, but I want to make sure I can finish the main migration in a
> > weekend.
> >
> > So my question...Can you load Exchange 5.5 on Server 2K3 in an AD domain
> > and
> > more importantly will it work?
> >
> > Thanks,

0
Joe (497)
1/21/2005 8:43:02 PM
I understand that.  You don't have to migrate Exchange in the same weekend.
You don't even have to run Exchange on Windows 2000.  You can quite happily
run an NT4.0 member server in an Active Directory domain without any
problems.  You'd be better off leaving it as is, then when you are ready to
migrate to Exchange 2003, follow the method I indicated (join new server to
existing org, then move mailboxes, etc.).

--

> My point here is that I am already tring to Migrate an NT 4.0 domain to an
> Server 2K/2K3 domain in a single weekend and I don't think that I will
> have
> enought time to do a migration of a domain as well as a Exchange 5.5 to
> Exchange 2K3 migration.  Should I then be aware of any problems installing
> Exchange 5.5 on Server 2000?
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No.  It will not install on 2003.  My recommendation would be to install
>> the
>> new Exchange 2003 server and join it to your existing 5.5 org, then you
>> can
>> move the mailboxes over from 5.5 to 2003 and retire the 5.5 server.
>> There
>> are some great migration documents on the Exchange TechCenter.
>> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/default.mspx
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have seen notes that Exchange 5.5 will run on Server 2K, but what
>> >about
>> > 2003?  I am in the process of Migrating from an NT 4.0 domain to an AD
>> > domain.  I don't want to bite off too much at one time so I would like
>> > reinstall Exchange 5.5 on another machine running server 2k3 and move
>> > the
>> > databases.  I do plan on upgrading from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2K3 at
>> > later date, but I want to make sure I can finish the main migration in
>> > weekend.
>> >
>> > So my question...Can you load Exchange 5.5 on Server 2K3 in an AD
>> > domain
>> > and
>> > more importantly will it work?
>> >
>> > Thanks,

0
Ben
1/21/2005 9:19:41 PM
I see what you mean.  Well, how about this then.  I have two NT 4.0 domains
that I am wanting to converge into one domain after this migration is
finished.  My plan was to migrate the NT 4.0 domain on my trusted network and
then just take my Mail Server on my DMZ which is also the PDC of it's own
domain and make it a member server of the trusted domain.  Is this possible
without reinstalling NT 4.0.

In other words, can a take an NT 4.0 domain controller and make it a member
server of another domain and collapse the domain that it use to be the PDC of
without reinstalling the OS?

Joe

"Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:

> I understand that.  You don't have to migrate Exchange in the same weekend.
> You don't even have to run Exchange on Windows 2000.  You can quite happily
> run an NT4.0 member server in an Active Directory domain without any
> problems.  You'd be better off leaving it as is, then when you are ready to
> migrate to Exchange 2003, follow the method I indicated (join new server to
> existing org, then move mailboxes, etc.).
>
> --
> Ben Winzenz
> Exchange MVP
>

> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My point here is that I am already tring to Migrate an NT 4.0 domain to an
> > Server 2K/2K3 domain in a single weekend and I don't think that I will
> > have
> > enought time to do a migration of a domain as well as a Exchange 5.5 to
> > Exchange 2K3 migration.  Should I then be aware of any problems installing
> > Exchange 5.5 on Server 2000?
> >
> > "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No.  It will not install on 2003.  My recommendation would be to install
> >> the
> >> new Exchange 2003 server and join it to your existing 5.5 org, then you
> >> can
> >> move the mailboxes over from 5.5 to 2003 and retire the 5.5 server.
> >> There
> >> are some great migration documents on the Exchange TechCenter.
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/exchange/default.mspx
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ben Winzenz
> >> Exchange MVP
> >>

> >> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

0
Joe (497)
1/21/2005 9:33:13 PM
Not supported.  There are tools that can demote an NT4 domain controller
(Upromote comes to mind) but they are not supported by Microsoft.  I
certainly wouldn't trust running them on an Exchange server.  Sounds like
either way, you will need to move Exchange to a new server.

--

>I see what you mean.  Well, how about this then.  I have two NT 4.0 domains
> that I am wanting to converge into one domain after this migration is
> finished.  My plan was to migrate the NT 4.0 domain on my trusted network
> and
> then just take my Mail Server on my DMZ which is also the PDC of it's own
> domain and make it a member server of the trusted domain.  Is this
> possible
> without reinstalling NT 4.0.
>
> In other words, can a take an NT 4.0 domain controller and make it a
> member
> server of another domain and collapse the domain that it use to be the PDC
> of
> without reinstalling the OS?
>
> Joe
>
> "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I understand that.  You don't have to migrate Exchange in the same
>> weekend.
>> You don't even have to run Exchange on Windows 2000.  You can quite
>> happily
>> run an NT4.0 member server in an Active Directory domain without any
>> problems.  You'd be better off leaving it as is, then when you are ready
>> migrate to Exchange 2003, follow the method I indicated (join new server
>> existing org, then move mailboxes, etc.).
>>
>> --
>> Ben Winzenz
>> Exchange MVP
>>

>> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My point here is that I am already tring to Migrate an NT 4.0 domain to
>> > an
>> > Server 2K/2K3 domain in a single weekend and I don't think that I will
>> > have
>> > enought time to do a migration of a domain as well as a Exchange 5.5 to
>> > Exchange 2K3 migration.  Should I then be aware of any problems
>> > installing
>> > Exchange 5.5 on Server 2000?

0
Ben