Which Exchange-aware Anti-Virus can I use ?

Is it not wise to use Symantec AV Corporate edition client (8.00.9374)on
Exchange 2003 ?

I had to rebuild our Exchange Server and I want to be sure which AV client
is best.

thanks

chrism.

0
chrism

WE have been using trend micro for exchange where we have to....

You do not want to be scanning the drives with a 'regular' AV client.

"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> Is it not wise to use Symantec AV Corporate edition client (8.00.9374)on
> Exchange 2003 ?
>
> I had to rebuild our Exchange Server and I want to be sure which AV client
> is best.
>
> thanks
>
> chrism.

0
tfelts1 (344)
4/5/2005 6:53:29 PM
There are lots available and most are fairly good.  Trend Micro and Sybari
Antigen (now owned by Microsoft) seem to be 2 perennial favorites.  Symantec
does have an Exchange-aware piece as well, but it is not the Corporate
Edition client.  Corp edition is a File-level antivirus client - I believe
the Exchange piece is called MailSecurity.  As Tom indicates, running a
file-level AV client can cause major problems if not configured correctly.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> Is it not wise to use Symantec AV Corporate edition client (8.00.9374)on
> Exchange 2003 ?
>
> I had to rebuild our Exchange Server and I want to be sure which AV client
> is best.
>
> thanks
>
> chrism.

0
Ben
4/5/2005 8:07:29 PM
You will want to use Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange. If you are a
licensed SAV Corporate user then you have license rights to download this
program. However going to the new version 4.6 I hear they are packaging
seperately the advanced SPAM portion for SAV and using Brightmail SPAM
engines and selling it seperately.
If you are referring to what client to use on your mail server then my
suggestion and the way Symantec suggests is that you load the SAV client
onto the server as a standalone. This is to protect the server only and not
the SMTP mail coming in. You can configure the client to obtain it's
definition updates from another parent server within the organization.
However they are some "exclusions" you need to set for your Real Time
protection on your mail server. Go to Symantec site and search for Documant
ID 2002090916040948. This will give you the list of the files you need to
exclude from your scan.

"chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
> Is it not wise to use Symantec AV Corporate edition client (8.00.9374)on
> Exchange 2003 ?
>
> I had to rebuild our Exchange Server and I want to be sure which AV client
> is best.
>
> thanks
>
> chrism.

0
ajmiyake (74)
4/5/2005 8:29:03 PM
I have the best experience with TrendMicro Scanmail for Exchange. We use it
on 2 clusters each with 9000 mailboxes. The Symantec solution need more
system ressources on the cluster.
0
IngoHuber (38)
4/6/2005 6:13:03 AM
thanks allen!  this is exactly what I needed.

chrism

"Allen M" <ajmiyake@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> You will want to use Symantec Mail Security for MS Exchange. If you are a
> licensed SAV Corporate user then you have license rights to download this
> program. However going to the new version 4.6 I hear they are packaging
> seperately the advanced SPAM portion for SAV and using Brightmail SPAM
> engines and selling it seperately.
> If you are referring to what client to use on your mail server then my
> suggestion and the way Symantec suggests is that you load the SAV client
> onto the server as a standalone. This is to protect the server only and
> not the SMTP mail coming in. You can configure the client to obtain it's
> definition updates from another parent server within the organization.
> However they are some "exclusions" you need to set for your Real Time
> protection on your mail server. Go to Symantec site and search for
> Documant ID 2002090916040948. This will give you the list of the files you
> need to exclude from your scan.
>

> "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote in message
>> Is it not wise to use Symantec AV Corporate edition client (8.00.9374)on
>> Exchange 2003 ?
>>
>> I had to rebuild our Exchange Server and I want to be sure which AV
>> client is best.
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> chrism.

0
chrism

How can I test the text content of a cell
I wish to create a logical test - an IF statement that tests whether a cell contains H, M or L, and output the result as a number. I cannot get the IF statement to recognise text as true or false - my Excel 2007 gives an error when I try to do something like IF(E9=H ....) is there a way to do this? =IF(E9="H" Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 16:43:01 -0700, catefaulkes <catefaulkes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I wish to create a logical test - an IF statement that tests whether a cell >contains H, M or L, and output the result as ...

how can I add a sequential order number to my groups of records?
I have two tables: tbl_Street_Joiner_Main tbl_Street_Joiner I want to add a new field that is a sequential record order number for the 'tbl_Street_Joiner' entries which are grouped by the 'Joiner_Title_ID' field in the master table 'tbl_Street_Joiner_Main' This new field will then become a Sort Order field for when I rearrange the sort order within each group, which I hope to do 'manually' via some vba code; but... If the sort order is generated automatically via the SQL, will it still be possible to change the sort order via code? This is my curren...

Cannot send emails from SBS Exchange
Hi , I am setting up SBS 2008 for the first time and have problems sending emails but can recieve using pop3 connector.On installation it created a domain bagmaf.local, my email add is ben@bag.co.za which i added in SBS Console but in AD user the ben account properties show an email add benl@bagmaf.local (benl being the logon name to the sbs server) , i have not setup send connectors and am using sbs standard setup. The strange thing is ben@bag.co.za sends to my gmail account ONLY not to any other account & i tried 3 diff addresses.In my gmail account it appears as benl@bagmaf.lo...

Exchange 5.5/2K3 and Address Book views
Hi all! We have a mixed exchange org at the moment with exchange 5.5 and 2003 (SP1). Can someone please tell me how to setup the Address Book view to be like the one used by 5.5 users for exchange 2003 users? Or does anyone know how to migrate the exch 5.5 GAL to exch 2003 to save waht looks like a lot of work? Thanks in advance!! Ste On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 10:19:42 -0000, "Ste" <stephenbrandley@hotmail.com> wrote: >Hi all! We have a mixed exchange org at the moment with exchange 5.5 and >2003 (SP1). Can someone please tell me how to setup the Address Book view &g...

How do I use tabs in Outlook HTML messsages?
When I press the Tab key on consecutive lines of my message I am not getting consistent results so the terms will line up underneath one another. Which version of Outlook are you using? If Outlook 2003 or previous; do you use Word or Outlook as the email editor? -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto-outlook.com/ Outlook FAQ, HowTo, Downloads, Add-Ins and more http://www.msoutlook.info/ Real World Questions, Real World Answers ----- "NNB" <NNB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:53291...

Using MID function within an IF funcion
I have a simple spreadsheet of about 240 rows with columns as follows: Column A - name Column B - street address Column C - city, state, Zip Column D - phone number Column E - email address Column F - "Permissions" to include data in columns A-E in a directory Column F consists of 1 to 7 characters. The first position is always Y. The other odd positions can be Y, N or blank. The even positions are hyphens or blanks. Examples: Y-Y-Y-Y means OK to include all data in columns A-E in directory Y-N-Y-Y means OK to include cols A, D and E in directory Y-N-Y means OK to include cols A ...

Using vectors in C++ with non-STL classes
Hello, I have a project that requires me to use a vector (the one in the C++ STL), and to use this vector with a class that I have created. I have tried to declare a vector that uses this class and some compiler errors have come up. What I need to know is what do I need to do essentially to make a class that I create work with vectors. Does anyone know? Thanks in advance. Sincerely, James Simpson "James Simpson" <JamesSimpson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0B424F9-0852-4561-A026-D7079101FB7F@microsoft.com... > Hello, > I have a project that ...

Is it possible to use more than 8 arguments in a function?
I have a database with over 1,000 rows and 13 columns. One of the column headings has a listing of about 23 different services. They want to add a column basically assigning a number to each service....I know I can use the IF function but apparently only for up to 8 arguments. Does anyone know if there's a way to add more?? Is there a better formula for this?? Or can I maybe lump three services??? A quick example of what I'm talking about Services NEB CTH IV IV ABT NEB Say that's the list. I want to assign NEB's as a 1, IV and IV ABT as a 4. I know I can use =IF(...

Can't Open Outlook
Can someone help me? I can't open OUTLOOK and get "this program has performed and illegal operation.." message and when I click on Details I get OUTLOOK caused an invalid page fault in module MSO9.DLL at 018f:30d0f675. Registers: EAX=00000000 CS=018f EIP=30d0f675 EFLGS=00010246 EBX=00402ab0 SS=0197 ESP=0056e940 EBP=0056e960 ECX=0000000a DS=0197 ESI=00000000 FS=3b1f EDX=00501000 ES=0197 EDI=00000000 GS=19f6 Bytes at CS:EIP: f3 ab e8 c0 91 bd ff 8b 3d e4 13 8c 30 85 c0 0f Stack dump: 00402ab0 00000000 00000000 0157122c 00692cbc 00000300 015712b8 00000000 0056ed84 30b2f5f6 00...

How can I import e:mail addys from Hotmail
How can I get my e:mail addys from Hotmail and put them in my address book in Microsoft Outlook 2003 Thanks You must get Outlook Live from MSN. This is going to cost you a monthly fee. So you may want to just type it in manually unless you have a lot! "Bryan" wrote: > How can I get my e:mail addys from Hotmail and put them in my address book > in Microsoft Outlook 2003 Thanks "Jon" wrote: > You must get Outlook Live from MSN. This is going to cost you a monthly fee. > So you may want to just type it in manually unless you have a lot! >...

Multiple message stores with Exchange
I am wondering if you can have multiple message stores with exchange server 2003 standard. Thanks you can have one mailbox store, one public folder store that will be available via mapi, and I believe you can have one or two public stores that will be available via IE...for multiple mailbox stores, you would need Enterprise Edition... "mikea" <mikea@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B20001F8-EC26-4BAF-B0DC-66E2933743BC@microsoft.com... > I am wondering if you can have multiple message stores with exchange server > 2003 standard. Thanks nevertheless,...

Can you Combine more than one excel spreadsheet onto one pivot tab
Is it possible to combine together more than one seperate excel spreadsheet onto one Pivot Table? ...

Can't email pictures
Outlook seems to have stopped emailing pictures either as attachments or as inserts. Might be more of a problem when sending to Vista computers with Windows Mail email. Any ideas? What version of Outlook are you using? What type of email account do you have? What happens when you try to email an attachment? Are you using Rich Text Fomat as your default format? -- Kathleen Orland - MVP Outlook Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ http://www.howto-outlook.com/ "Dian and Mike" wrote: > Outlook seems to have stopped emailing pictures either as attachments or as...

Can't open a form on top
When I click a button on my main form to preview a report, the report opens on top of the form. However, another command button opens a form for selecting report parameters (a different report than the first button I mentioned). This report opens behind the main form. There seems to be nothing I can do to change that other than hiding the main form when I open the report, and restoring it when I close the report. Here are some things I have tried: In the Click event for the button on the parameter form that opens the report, I have added: DoCmd.SelectObject acReport, "ReportNa...

Can't move message to another folder
Using Outlook 2002 and cannot send/receive email nor can I move a message from inbox to another folder. No error, no explanation. Worked fine yesterday. Windows XP PRO with Office XP SBE. Anybody have this happen to them before? TIA! You should at least get some sort of message when you send yourself an e-mail and do a manual Send/Receive (either you get an error message or your own message) For the moving; how do you move them? Clear your Deleted Items folder and run scanpst.exe against your pst-file (when Outlook is closed) and try again. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Micro...

GP Should create an error log file which we (as an MCP) can revie.
Dynamics GP should include macro-like traces in an error log for MCPs to review to review the specific user's(s') navigation and clicks to more intuitively diagnose errors and processing glitches. To conseerve resources, this type of code should be scripted with a conditional clause: For example, user transactions and navigation is tracked and logged into a temp error "cache" file and: (a) saved if the transaction/command is unsuccessful OR (b) discarded/cleared if successful. With this information handy to support professionals and externally to the Dynamics Suppo...

Moving an Exchange Server to a new office, different subnet and IP
I need to find the simplest way to move an exchange server to a new location, with the least amount of down time. 1 thought is to create a redundat server at the new location, replicate the data in then take down old, ship to the new location, and bring it back up, then probobly taking one down, or making one a front-end, the othe a back-end. The new location is already linked in over a WAN, however they are on a different subnet At this point I am very open to suggestions, any will do Thank you for your time... How fast is your WAN? How much data do you have to move? What do you mean...

How can I seperate the demensions from the description?
I am trying to seperate the demensions from the description and create another cell for each mesurament. I have 7k items on my list. Which fromula helps me out? Thanks. Without seeing an example of the entries in your list, it is difficult to give you the best approach. That being said, if your items begin with the dimensions followed by the description, it might work to use Data > Text to columns. You will need to select how the text is divided (Delimited or Fixed width)--experiment a little to see what works best for your situation. "tr2usa@yahoo.com" wrote: > I am ...

How can I change the GUID of a control in an rc file programatically?
Hi all, I have a project that contains a huge amount of rc files that have dialogs in. lots of these dialogs contain custom OCX controls. Some of the OCX Controls have changed their GUIDs, which is out of our control, and now the dialogs wont load (in the resource editor firstly, oviously the code won't run). My immediate thought when I saw this was, "thats ok we can grep the rc files and change the old GUID to the new one". That was before I found that the GUID was no where to be found! I assume the that it is encoded and stored in the DLGINIT structures at the bottom o...

Outlook templates using contacts.
Is there a way to use your contacts from outlook to easily insert their information into an E-mail? for example, Dear (conact name), blah blah blah (contact address1)... Thanks in advance! Mail Merge... kharnal wrote: > Is there a way to use your contacts from outlook to easily insert > their information into an E-mail? > > for example, > > Dear (conact name), > > blah blah blah (contact address1)... > > Thanks in advance! ...

what is the name of the Microsoft exchange 2000 patch?
The one for the exchange server. I believe it is cdo something I just want to do more research before I obtain the patch. On 2 Mar 2007 12:12:47 -0800, fbarbara@gmail.com wrote: >The one for the exchange server. I believe it is cdo something I just >want to do more research before I obtain the patch. There are many patches. How do you you anticipate getting the patch given the status of Exchange 2000 support? ...

can't start windows management services Can't install SQL Server E
I'm getting the error WMI windows management instructmentation module is not installed when I try to start windows management services. WHEN I RUN setup for SQL Server Express 2005. It says configuration checker cannot be executed. I try to start windows management services and it says could not start windows management instrumentation service on local computer. I searched for wmi.dll on my computer and I have it in c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386 can I copy this file somewhere into the system so that it will start windows management services? Do you know if the .Net ...

Importing Contacts into Distribution List in Exchange Outlook 2003
I have a set of contacts in CSV format which I would like to import into Exchange 2003 as a Distribution List. I tried the Import function of Outlook with the destination my Distribution List; instead the contacts are imported into a Contacts folder but not to a Distribution List. Is there some other way? No. You can only import into a Contacts Folder. You cannot import directly to a DL. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Richard Kaplan" <richardkaplan3@gmail.com> wrote in message news:3e831dd3-2120-4c00-a7d7-2327e3280974@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com... >I have a set of c...

Exchange 2003
Hey all, I'm trying to remove an oprhaned mailbox from an Exchange 2003 back end server. Every time I right-click and purge I get this error: "The operation cannot be performed because this mailbox was already reconnected to an existing user. ID no: c1034ad6 Exchange System Manager" Not sure how this orphan was created but the user exists in AD and has his exchange mailbox attached on a different server. If I create a new user and attempt to reconnect the orphaned mailbox to it, it gives me the same error. Any ideas anyone .. I've seen this error reported in a few place...

Can you incorporate a map showing project locations in access 2007
I am setting up my various projects/jobs in an access database, but wanted to be able to view them on a map as well. Possible google earth or microsoft virtual earth, or even mapquest. Is there a way to do this? I suspect that there is a way. I use MapPoint with automation and get Access working fine. You may need to automate with Outlook which uses Expedia. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "JLDLS" <JLDLS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96AD8951-8F6A-40B4-BD57-308140AF72F9@microsoft.c...