Where do the messages go?

I am going to do a offline defrag of our Exchange 5.5
(SP4 on W2k server)database and I had the question of
where do the messages go when the services have stopped?

I have done a couple of offline defrags and I have never
had the question and I don't think we have lost any
messages.

Where are the messages held? Does the email bounce back
to the sender?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

"JohnH" <houserj2000@hotmail.com> wrote...
> I am going to do a offline defrag of our Exchange 5.5
> (SP4 on W2k server)database and I had the question of
> where do the messages go when the services have stopped?
>
> I have done a couple of offline defrags and I have never
> had the question and I don't think we have lost any
> messages.
>
> Where are the messages held? Does the email bounce back
> to the sender?
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

It depends where they will "sit".  If you have a second MX record with a
lower priority (actually a bigger preference number), the messages will go
there.  That is what we do.  I have a backup server that catches the mail in
the event of an exchange server outage.

If you do not have this, the messages will stay queued on the last server
the mail made it to successfully.  This would typically be the sender's SMTP
server, but it could be relayed elsewhere.  Typically, SMTP servers will try
again after 15 minutes, and gradually increasing the wait-time before
re-attempting.  After a certain amount of time has passed - maybe 2 days
(again depends on how the server is set up) it will bounce the mail back to
the sender.

If you server was down for say 8 hours, what you would see is email come in
in bunches after you get the server back online.  You could compare the sent
time to the received time to see when the mail was really sent and received.
Normally, email is sent and received within a minute or so.  If your mail
gets stuck in a queue somewhere, those times will be much more different
from each other.  I usually have my email client set to show sent time on my
inbox, just so I can see if something funky is going on.  That also helps
identify spam that has wacky sent dates or no sent date at all...

Hope that helped,
Andrew

0
Andrew
5/21/2004 8:24:39 PM
Thank you.

John

0
anonymous (74722)

Disable changing the sort/grouping setting in inbox messages
Is there a way to disable a person from changing his sorting/grouping of messages in his inbox in Outlook 2003? We have a person that keeps sorting/grouping by sender, so he tends to only see the messages he wants to see. We want him keeping them sorted by received date/time so he sees all messages as they come in, as some are going unread for days that he needs to be seeing and doing something with. Anyway to force a sort order in messages, and disallow grouping, through a registry entry, or in some other way? Greg No. Unfortunately there are no technological solutions for this behavioral...

Talk Money OR Go Somewhere Else
It really stinks that over half of the posts in Money Central and Money have NOTHING to do with MS Money or MSN Money. When I belonged to Compuserve a few years back, the forums were FANTASTIC. Almost every post stayed on topic, every post was answered by at least l person, usually several, and there were users (Like MVP's) that could tell you anything. You learned quickly who could give you an answer-I totally depended on that forum to keep 20+ computers trouble free. Does anyone know of a forum like that??? This forum is not cutting it. Not only do half my posts go unanswered, ...

How to forward message with SMTP addresses
We have exchange server2000 and outlook 2002. When we forward a message the original message is reported on bottom but e-mail address in the original message are lost: only the display name is displayed with no info about the real e-mail address. For example: -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Instead of : -----Original Message----- From: Anto Smith a.smith@abcd.com Sent: 21 October 2003 12:16 To: John Stepp j.stepp@abcd.com Subject: FW: Receipt for Fonts.com Order Any idea on how to fix it? Than...

Duplicate Messages
I have an issue with many of our users whenever the SMTP service is restarted on our Exchange 2000 server. After a reboot of the Exchange server or a restart of the SMTP service, many users will download all of the messages in their mailbox again. Basically they receive duplicates of any message they received previously. Is this a known issue? How do I correct it? Is it related to the version of Outlook they are using? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks, jeff ...

can I set outlook to send a message received as "new" message ?
can I send a received e-mail as a "new" message Netscape allows send as new Don Hocutt, you wrote on Thu, 22 Sep 2005 15:47:01 -0700: > can I send a received e-mail as a "new" message No. > Netscape allows send as new Use Netscape... ;-) -- Best Regards Christian Goeller Some misspellings, grammatical or linguistical mistakes found? All corrections would be appreciated! This is very simplistic. Sorry. The only way I know to pull this off is to open the email, copy its contents, paste it into a new message, and send new message. I do this on occasion when ...

Performed an Illegal Operation Error Message
I am getting this message when ever i try to open up Microsoft Outlook. I have tried repairing and even deleting and reinstalling Microsoft Office. But still no luck. The details on the Illegal operation message are: utlook caused an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL at 017f:7800707. Any suggestions Thanks Gabe I do am having similar problems. I have W98 & Outlook 2000. All of a sudden I'm having problems. I get an error message: MSVCRT.DLL at 017f:7800d6al message. I tried nfclean.exe and have reinstalled MS Office twice, Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks....

Error when performing Outlook synchronise or going off-line
I have installed Microsoft CRM v.1.2 int. english on a W2003 server and the CRM-Exchange E-Mail Router on a W2000 Server with Exchane2000. My MS SQL 2000 Server is running on a W2000 Server too. Furthermore I have installed a XP Pro klient with Office 2003. On this computer I have installed the Sales For Outlook client with no errors reported througout the installation. I can work on-line on the CRM-server, send and receive e-mails and promote incomming e-mails. Everuthing seames to work properly. But when I try to syncronise I get an Error message: 'The specified domain either does not ex...

Message Undeliverable
We recently migrated to Outlook 2003. In previous versions, we had Outlook set to notify a user that their mailbox was full (50MB) when they tried to send an e-mail. In Outlook 2003, it lets them send the e-mail but then returns an undeliverable message (and the user then has to retype in all of the addresses). Is there a setting somehwere in the client that can change this back so they are notified of a full mailbox before the e-mail is sent? Thanks ... Paul ...

onLoad User Error Message 10-11-07
I created a onLoad event on the Account entity that hides a few tabs and along with the navigation icons ("Services" and Marketing"). Everything works well, until I open the account form as a read-only form. To recreate the error message, I use the Account lookup, select an Account, then click on "Properties". The error message I receive states: "There was an error message with this fields customized event. Field: crmForm Event: onLoad Error: 'navService' is undefined" Any thoughts or suggestions? Also here is the script that I am using - forgive ...

Incoming Mails go to mailer-daemon
Hi, i have a exchange server 2003 standard edition running on a win2003 std. ed. Now i have the following problem: if a mail recipient get a e-mail or should get a mail and in this mail are more recipients defined in the "TO" field the mail goes to the exchange admin as mailer-daemon@domain.com. But why the mail address is typed correct! thanks, christian is there any error message from the mailer-daemon? -- ------------------------------------------------- strongline - I want my future to be unknown http://strongline.blogspot.com -----------------------------------------...

Newsgroup Message Refreshing
Windows XP(Home) SP3, 32Bit, OE6, IE8; Plenty of RAM & HHD space. Continuous checks for Virus/Malware 1.4Ghz, VIA Technologies, Inc. 8 kilobyte primary memory cache, 256 kilobyte secondary memory cache, P4X266-8233, Enclosure Type: Desktop V2 Premier, Windows XP (Home) SP3, 2 External USB 500/1TB Hard Drives (NTFS), 1.5 GB Ram, Upgraded PSU, Belarc Advisor, Multimedia - lists, MPU-401 Compatible MIDI Device - Realtek AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller - Standard Game Port. Circuit Board: P4X266-8233, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz, BIOS: Award Software International, I...

DNR Messages from Exchange 2003 Server
We have Exchange setup to forward all DNR messages to a specific address. Is there any way to configure it to include the original sender that sent the message that caused the DNR? Right now, I get the DNR message from anyone in the company, but I never know who it is from, just who they were trying to reach. Thanks. Babakganoosh <Babakganoosh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >We have Exchange setup to forward all DNR messages to a specific address. Is >there any way to configure it to include the original sender that sent the >message that caused the DNR? Right no...

How do I delete message stuck in outbox
I have prepared one message and tried to send it as usual, the message went sucessfully but got stuck in outbox and being sent every time i schedule send / receive. cannot be deleted manually. pls advise what to do? ...

Sending Messages to Client Area using Win32 API
Hi, Im not sure if this is the right place to be, but I'll try anyways :-) I've been trying to send messages to Notepad, and I haven't been able to send "typing" messages like WM_CHAR. So far the only message that has worked is WM_DESTROY. I'm wondering how to send "chars" to Notepad, using another program to do regular typing. Hope someone could answer this or point me in the right direction. Lars Magne Engedal AFAIK, WM_CHAR, WM_KEYDOWN, etc...should work if you first get the window's input focus using: ::ShowWindow() ::SetForegroundWindow() ::S...

error message #18
Cant send an email, it says windows/local settings/application data/microsoft/outlook/mailbox.pst could not be accessed. Is that PST file available (existing, writeable)? "Charlie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:134601c3a268$35e71120$a001280a@phx.gbl... > Cant send an email, it says windows/local > settings/application data/microsoft/outlook/mailbox.pst > could not be accessed. ...

IMAP folder uread message count is not updated automatically
Server: Exchange 2003 based on Win2000 server. Client Outlook 2003 configured IMAP4 only. In IMAP inbox folder of Outlook 2003, there is unread message count but actually the inbox folder is empty. I also use OWA to see the inbox, it is empty. Apparently, the unread message count is not updated automatically. I clicked send/receive button many time to get it updated(fortunately), And sometime, I right clicked the inbox folder and "select mark all read" to force it reset. Anyone to help me to set it update the unread message count automatically? Thanks Warren ...

Check if message was sent with attachment
Hi! how can I check if a message was sent with attachment? - How should the logging on the SMTPSVC configured? thanks in advance Juan PS: Or transmitted message size? Juan <Juan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >how can I check if a message was sent with attachment? - How should the >logging on the SMTPSVC configured? > >PS: Or transmitted message size? Size is the only indication you'll find in the log files. -- Rich Matheisen MCSE+I, Exchange MVP MS Exchange FAQ at http://www.swinc.com/resource/exch_faq.htm Don't send mail to this address mailto:h.pott...

OWA Gives "forbidden" message when creating, deleting e-mails or selecting recipients since upg to 2003
ever since we upgraded from 2000 to 2003, anytime you try to delete e-mail or send a new message, or add a recipient to your e-mail you get a "forbidden" Message. So basically, OWA is useless to us, we can only read e-mail Any help you can provide will be appreciated Thanks. ...

Won't stop going Offline
I have a user with Outlook XP set on IMAP with Exchange 2003 (on Win2003). 50 or so users on the network with the same setup....everyone works fine for months, until one day 1 person has a problem with Outlook going Offline all the time. All systems are on a LAN and everything works fine when the send/rec button is hit. I've checked/unchecked all of the dial-up settings per this ng. Anything else I should check? Any ideas? Thanks. Frank Hughes BSN ...

Preview message #2
Hi all I am new on this area and have question: is there option to preview message? I am using OUTLCTL.DLL on my window, and wish to preview selected message in HTML browser control (ieframe) or on some other way. Thank you Zdravko "Zdravko" <user.clarion@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23qkMqMGOKHA.4700@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... > I am new on this area and have question: > is there option to preview message? > I am using OUTLCTL.DLL on my window, and wish to preview selected message in > HTML browser control (ieframe) or on some other way. Please don't...

mts-id error message
Exchange 5.5 Would someone be able to advise me where to start to trouble shoot this problem ? so far no luck with google or support. Thank you. below is the reply we get: the bounced message states: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Testing email Sent: 8/3/2004 3:37 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'rodlame@t-online.de' on 8/3/2004 3:37 PM The recipient was unavailable to take delivery of the message The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Morre ? Company;l=UTILITY-0408...

Error message about Automation, what does it mean?
I have a form that has a control where I input a reference number into a control which has a format ABC/___/____ The form is a subform on my main form. When I try to input into the control I get a message that says: "The object doesn't contain the Automation object ID. You tried to run a visual basic procedure to set a property or method for an object. However the component doesn't make the property or method available for Automation operations." What does that mean? If I close the message it appears that I can carry on with the input. Thanks Tony ...

Unable to send test message #2
Everything seems to be set up well yet I keep getting an error message stating that I need to verify the email address field. I know that my Verizon email address is correct. What is the problem? Help--Please Cosmic Jeepster <Cosmic Jeepster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Everything seems to be set up well yet I keep getting an error message > stating that I need to verify the email address field. I know that my > Verizon email address is correct. What is the problem? Help--Please Consider asking Verizon's support, since you pay them for their help. -- Brian...

Sending messages to other windows
Hi, I would like to know how I can send user-defined messages to windows in another application. For example I have two dialog applications. Sometimes one dialog app needs to send the other dialog app a message telling it somethings has happened. Are there any examples or tutorials on how I could implement this?? check the following article by Joseph M. Newcomer. http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/messagemgmt.asp -- Cheers suhredayan _________________ there is no spoon... "W Akthar" <wakthar@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:687c01c42ea5$2bd70590$a301280a@phx.gbl... &g...

out of office message on Exchange 2007
How do I configure an out of office message on the Exchange 2007 server? If the weather prevents us from coming to the office I need to be able to create an out of office message that will be sent from Exchange server for any message it receives. Thanks. On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 12:01:03 -0800, Candace <Candace@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How do I configure an out of office message on the Exchange 2007 server? If >the weather prevents us from coming to the office I need to be able to create >an out of office message that will be sent from Exchange server for an...