What is the maximum .ost file size for outlook 2003?

I'm still trying to justify a 2GB limit for our executives to the IT
Director.  Currently they are getting an error when trying to sync their
current 2.5 GB
mailbox(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306076).

I found this article that says 2GB is the max size for an ost
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832925

Our director is arguing that since outlook is running in unicode mode the
limit is 20GB not 2GB...

What is the maximum size that we can have for an .ost file.
--
Network Admin
0

Your director is correct.  Remember, an OST file is basically the same thing
as a PST file.  If Outlook is running in Unicode mode, it will be able to
use up to a 20gb OST file.  Whether performance is acceptable with an OST
file that size is another matter...

I do know folks that have 10+gb OST files, but I'd argue that it won't work
for most people.

--
Ben Winzenz
Exchange MVP

"omegan99" <omegan99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm still trying to justify a 2GB limit for our executives to the IT
> Director.  Currently they are getting an error when trying to sync their
> current 2.5 GB
> mailbox(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;306076).
>
> I found this article that says 2GB is the max size for an ost
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=832925
>
> Our director is arguing that since outlook is running in unicode mode the
> limit is 20GB not 2GB...
>
> What is the maximum size that we can have for an .ost file.
> --
> Network Admin

0
Ben
10/18/2005 2:22:26 PM
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 09:22:26 -0500, "Ben Winzenz [Exchange MVP]"
<ben_winzenz@NOSPAMdotmessageonedotcom> wrote:

>Your director is correct.  Remember, an OST file is basically the same thing
>as a PST file.  If Outlook is running in Unicode mode, it will be able to
>use up to a 20gb OST file.  Whether performance is acceptable with an OST
>file that size is another matter...
>
>I do know folks that have 10+gb OST files, but I'd argue that it won't work
>for most people.

Yep. It may support a larger ost, but I have seen some performance
other "weird" problems once it gets 2GB with the unicode ost.
0
adavid (8731)

Moving from Outlook Express to Outlook

Using Relative path for XML data file?

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

find action on log file

File size #11

Maximum file sizes

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook Sales

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Outlook 2002 (office xp developer suite)

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

using the journal on outlook

cannot open hyper links in outlook

outlook 97 and express email problems